Independent Scheduling | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Independent Scheduling

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I am wondering if AD David Benedict will be hamstrung on finalizing any football scheduling until he has a football tv deal. If your anyone visiting the Rent, don’t you want to know for sure how your home fans will view the game?

I think a tv deal could get done in a week or two, but it might be in the way of getting the scheduling ball rolling, especially for any home games.
One thing that has crossed my mind, and i don't know if it's possible. But could someone like FS1 get UConn's FB rights for like 3 million, and then pay UConn additional money for marquee matchups that UConn would either pay to the marquee school? So in essence that high profile school would be "selling a road game" to TV. UConn schedules a home and home with Penn State, and FS1 pays UConn 500k, that would go to PSU.

I don't know if that is even possible, but i think its the sort of creative thing UConn would have to get involved with if it is somehow allowed.

Thoughts on if something like this is even possible?

Reaction Score
One thing that has crossed my mind, and i don't know if it's possible. But could someone like FS1 get UConn's FB rights for like 3 million, and then pay UConn additional money for marquee matchups that UConn would either pay to the marquee school? So in essence that high profile school would be "selling a road game" to TV. UConn schedules a home and home with Penn State, and FS1 pays UConn 500k, that would go to PSU.

I don't know if that is even possible, but i think its the sort of creative thing UConn would have to get involved with if it is somehow allowed.

Thoughts on if something like this is even possible?

I don’t know if it’s possible, but you’re right in that we need that sort of creative thinking if this is going be successful.

Where Fox Sports could potentially really help is creating some sort of bowl tie-in somewhere.

Reaction Score
The answer is ... anything is possible. Contractually

There are obvious constraints. There may - for instance - be hugely restrictive language in the Big Ten Network operating agreements on how Penn St (for instance) can schedule & can contract revenue.

The independent status we now have gives us the capacity to look Nationally. And find the optimal Games + Revenue to enhance our Program. When we announced Big East ... the gravedigger Sportswriters came out with knives. You can’t make money or do games without Conference.

We are now opening our eyes and thinking - you know - there’s a lot of opportunities. And TV - which is where the pushback came from - is actually a prime focus. Streaming. SNY. Cord cutting. The fact that we don’t have restrictive covenants. UMass is a case study: without some of our institutional & physical assets & Brand, they’ve sculpted a good schedule. UConn will do better.

It’s the process. Open your eyes. New day.

Reaction Score
The answer is ... anything is possible. Contractually

There are obvious constraints. There may - for instance - be hugely restrictive language in the Big Ten Network operating agreements on how Penn St (for instance) can schedule & can contract revenue.

The independent status we now have gives us the capacity to look Nationally. And find the optimal Games + Revenue to enhance our Program. When we announced Big East ... the gravedigger Sportswriters came out with knives. You can’t make money or do games without Conference.

We are now opening our eyes and thinking - you know - there’s a lot of opportunities. And TV - which is where the pushback came from - is actually a prime focus. Streaming. SNY. Cord cutting. The fact that we don’t have restrictive covenants. UMass is a case study: without some of our institutional & physical assets & Brand, they’ve sculpted a good schedule. UConn will do better.

It’s the process. Open your eyes. New day.
Are you Kevin Garnett?:)

Reaction Score

Interesting thread on Reddit. Someone asked if they'd rather schedule UMass or UConn now that we are both independents only half an hour away from eachother. Pretty much everyone says they'd rather their school play UConn for the brand recognition. Michigan, Penn St, Alabama fans all said they'd rather go to Storrs than Amherst.

There is no contest here. That's why I believe UMass is in serious trouble getting good home games. Brand names will only come to the Rent.

Reaction Score
Pudge is absolutely correct. UMass provides a basic blueprint for creating a football schedule, but UConn's name and geographical connection to NYC puts UConn on a different level. The chess vs checker analogy has been used in relation to Aresco and the TV negotiations for the ACC, but the UConn vs UMass independent scheduling is truly chess vs. checkers. UConn could be the a smaller version of BYU of the east coast if they market their independence correctly.

UConn needs a visionary approach to this entire process. FOX's role on the TV deal will be interesting. If FOX has a full buy-in on UConn it may make a SNY deal irrelevant. I get the feeling that FOX didn't just want UConn for their MBB. FOX may want control of all the women's hoops games and football games to up their New England/NYC programming.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
There is no contest here. That's why I believe UMass is in serious trouble getting good home games. Brand names will only come to the Rent.
I think teams with large fan bases may decide that a New England game is good exposure for them. This may be a rising tide floats all boats kind of a thing.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
The UMass schedules by and large are horrible. I still would like to play them every year, but if we end up with anything resembling what they have put together (2020 gets a pass), we are in serious trouble.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Well there's UMass, play them twice if we have to
If we do that we should make it a rivalry series. Anyone know "some guy" who has a trophy that's not being used?

Reaction Score
UConn is probably the second most "attractive" home game on UMass' schedule. Their schedule is awful. To suggest they have a good schedule would be ridiculous.

Reaction Score

Interesting thread on Reddit. Someone asked if they'd rather schedule UMass or UConn now that we are both independents only half an hour away from eachother. Pretty much everyone says they'd rather their school play UConn for the brand recognition. Michigan, Penn St, Alabama fans all said they'd rather go to Storrs than Amherst.

"UMass has had the better team..."
That is too strong a statement. True last yearn(ugh), given they scored more points than us, at our home, in our game last year. And their 4-8 record was better than our 1-11 with an historically bad defense. However, they barely beat us in miserable conditions and our schedule was harder than theirs. Furthermore, I'd argue we had the better team (slightly) since 2015:
  • 2015: UConn 6-7 (4-4 in AAC, bowl game); UMass 3-9 (2-6 in MAC)
  • 2016: UConn 3-9 (1-7 AAC); UMass 2-10 (Indy)
  • 2017: UConn 3-9 (2-6 AAC); UMass 4-8 (Indy)
They barely beat our worst team in FBS history last year. We will be better this year. IDK if UMass will be better. At worst, recent on field performance comparisons are a wash. We do have the stronger brand.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
There is no comparison between UConn and UMass these days athletically and from a brand name. UMass football, first and foremost -can't attract any P5 to their on campus facility. The next problem they have is Foxboro is 2 hours away and if the visiting team doesn't have a huge travelling attendance, than UMass will get killed on the rent of the stadium and will play in a more than 50% full building as well. The don't have the brand name UConn does so they don't have the name recognition to excite a P5. Hockey isn't going to get them any football games.

Although the Rent is small(40K) it is our home site. We have filled the place up and can do so again. UConn has the brand recognition. The comparison by village idiot writers and bloggers is mind boggling. Very rarely to these people look past the top layer to dig deep.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Before they replaced the field in 2005, Fenway still had the goal post anchors near the third base line.

They don't erect bleachers in front of the Green Monster anymore. It would be pretty cool to watch from there. Otherwise you are too far from the field and because the box seats are literally field level, your vision is blocked by the players.

Reaction Score
Fenway and Yankee Stadium games sound great until you actually watch a game there. They are just not football stadiums.

I flew out to Yankee Stadium for the ND/ Syracuse game and Fenway for the ND/Boston College game. Both games were a lot of fun, and the seats were better than I expected. I would love to see them play at either venue again.

Reaction Score
Fenway is really cool and playing BC there once in a while is
I flew out to Yankee Stadium for the ND/ Syracuse game and Fenway for the ND/Boston College game. Both games were a lot of fun, and the seats were better than I expected. I would love to see them play at either venue again.

I agree. I think Fenway is a very fun venue.

Reaction Score
Georgia State disagrees.
Sure, but the school had minimal alternatives and limited financial resources. Additionally, anyone with minimal knowledge of Turner Field’s $28m renovations, seat removal, and other accommodations would not try to draw a relevant comparison with temporary arrangements at Yankee Stadium and the clam shack in Boston.

Reaction Score
Went to UConn Army at Yankee Stadium and UConn BC at Fenway. Fenway was pretty bad to watch a football game. I thought Yankee was slightly better. Would probably not go back to Fenway for a game....especially a night game. Gillette or Metlife would be my choice.

Reaction Score
Maybe they need to revisit this. We were BCS then, and a lot has changed since then.
I don’t recall all the details but my recollection was we would play all the road games at ND but none of the home games at the Rent. Had the deal been for maybe 1 ND home game and 2 UConn home games at neutral sites it would have worked.

Reaction Score
I thought the Fenway game was good and was fun despite being a dreadful dreary night. Lots of great bars nearby too. Honestly you see pretty well at least from our seats. Closer to the action than nosebleeds in Foxboro or Jets field. Plus these games are put there for the event value. Maybe Notre Dame or Michigan or somebody is worth it at an NFL venue but most are not. Remember under 40000 at Syracuse-USC at Giants/Jets field looked embarassingly small on tv.

Reaction Score
I thought the Fenway game was good and was fun despite being a dreadful dreary night. Lots of great bars nearby too. Honestly you see pretty well at least from our seats. Closer to the action than nosebleeds in Foxboro or Jets field. Plus these games are put there for the event value. Maybe Notre Dame or Michigan or somebody is worth it at an NFL venue but most are not. Remember under 40000 at Syracuse-USC at Giants/Jets field looked embarassingly small on tv.

Yeah I know it’s counter intuitive but I’d rather UConn play in Yankee Stadium or Fenway rather than an NFL stadium.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Yeah I know it’s counter intuitive but I’d rather UConn play in Yankee Stadium or Fenway rather than an NFL stadium.

Depends on the opponent. If it's Penn State, Michigan, Notre Dame, Ohio State, etc. I think you would see at least a 75% full Giants Stadium.

I'd be fine doing an away game/Giant Stadium game with schools like that and then maybe home/home/neutral (i.e. Yankee Stadium for our local rivals).

I just don't want to set the precedent that we'll be expected to move home games for all suitors.

Reaction Score
Depends on the opponent. If it's Penn State, Michigan, Notre Dame, Ohio State, etc. I think you would see at least a 75% full Giants Stadium.

I'd be fine doing an away game/Giant Stadium game with schools like that and then maybe home/home/neutral (i.e. Yankee Stadium for our local rivals).

I just don't want to set the precedent that we'll be expected to move home games for all suitors.

Well sure I’m not saying we should say no if any of those schools are calling and that’s their demand.

I was just saying what I preferred.

And I agree that we should try our hardest not to move games to...uh...off campus (?) sites

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
And I agree that we should try our hardest not to move games to...uh...off campus (?) sites

Got a chuckle out of me for that, and I'm actually a proponent of The Rent being where it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom