Incoming... | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Incoming...

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
The one thing no one can deny is that UConn has done a much better job recruiting quarterbacks since Edsall has been here. This is a new thing for him after RE.1

Reaction Score
He missed out on some players, but then again he hit on some players who in some people's opinion shouldn't be coming to Storrs like Krajewski, Jones, and Ofori-Nyadu

This is completely made up. Nobody has said such a thing.

Reaction Score
So was Diaco (minus Sundays).
One coaching on Sundays helps and two, RE has a proven track record of winning as a HC and not just winning but rebuilding a program. Not to mention he has a record of helping kids get to the next level. NFL scouts trust what RE has to say.
Perhaps experience coupled with a proven track record doesn’t much matter anymore.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
I love the list of our 10 guys without major offers that are always ready to go in some posters holster.

Completely ignoring the fact that a program isn't sustained by a handful of success stories of under the radar players, but by accumulating enough talented depth across the roster to be better than .500 in conference play more than twice in our history.

I trust Randy, but man, can I get a guy with at least a Kent State or Toledo offer?

Reaction Score
We won’t know if the class is any good for 2-3 Years, but the argument that the kids have no P5 offers is silly. 24/7 is the clear leader in this space and they don’t even have our commits right - u really believe they’re tracking all offers? Rivals was bad 5 years ago - and now its like a UHF channel anymore, so I expect nothing from them. In other words, the recruiting services allocate 90% of their resources to P5. Chill

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Depends on how you define working. I doubt Randy thinks this class is a 10 win class, but we dont have the cache to recruit a class like that to begin with. All we need is to build from where we are now. Can this class do that? I think we can. If RE is one thing, it's that he's a good talent evaluator. No one is good enough to totally transcend rating systems, but I do believe RE is good enough to build a team that looks better on the field than on Rivals. When RE1 built the team up, it was a slow and methodical process. Hopefully that's what we're seeing here

Two big differences

1. Edsall can’t sell a BCS conference
2. The geography and size this league ensures there are going to be 2-3 good teams every year.

I like Edsall as much as almost anyone.

You can take this to the bank: If they don’t start beating peer institutions for recruits they are going to be somewhere from bad to mediocre.

As much as I dislike the AAC there are schools that are trying to win in places awash with talent.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Depends on how you define working. I doubt Randy thinks this class is a 10 win class, but we dont have the cache to recruit a class like that to begin with. All we need is to build from where we are now. Can this class do that? I think we can. If RE is one thing, it's that he's a good talent evaluator. No one is good enough to totally transcend rating systems, but I do believe RE is good enough to build a team that looks better on the field than on Rivals. When RE1 built the team up, it was a slow and methodical process. Hopefully that's what we're seeing here

I was mocking the attitude here that offers don’t matter - not commenting on Edsall.

Brady getting picked in the 6th round is actually evidence the talent people know what they are doing. He went in the 6th round because he lost his job and showed up at the combine in terrible shape.

It was getting picked in the 6th round that turned him into Brady. Not that he was some player worthy of a first and everyone was too blind to see it.

Reaction Score
I love the list of our 10 guys without major offers that are always ready to go in some posters holster.

Completely ignoring the fact that a program isn't sustained by a handful of success stories of under the radar players, but by accumulating enough talented depth across the roster to be better than .500 in conference play more than twice in our history.

I trust Randy, but man, can I get a guy with at least a Kent State or Toledo offer?
Lol. Kent State or Toledo.

Those aren’t necessary validating offers either.

Reaction Score
Looks like every DB committed/signed this year are between 6-6’3.”
That allows for flexibility in the 3-3-5 scheme as these guys develop physically under HCRE. It will give DCBC guys that with added size can walk up against the run and/or cover. It also helps disguise coverage and blitzes, because you have personnel that can line up in multiple positions making it more difficult for offenses to get a good pre-snap read.

FWIW, I like his film. I don’t care what his team did. He looks like a kid that could flourish here. He’s athletic, aggressive through contact, and can run. He also has a frame that could add 35-40lbs of muscle. He reminds me a little of Obi, but not as fast.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Two big differences

2. The geography and size this league ensures there are going to be 2-3 good teams every year.

You can take this to the bank: If they don’t start beating peer institutions for recruits they are going to be somewhere from bad to mediocre.

As much as I dislike the AAC there are schools that are trying to win in places awash with talent.
Can’t argue with most of these points.

Gotta win first and he’ll be able to compete with said peer institutions for recruits. To do that we must hope his initial two classes are full of those hidden gems that he can develop into solid players.

-Captain Obvious

Reaction Score
That allows for flexibility in the 3-3-5 scheme as these guys develop physically under HCRE. It will give DCBC guys that with added size can walk up against the run and/or cover. It also helps disguise coverage and blitzes, because you have personnel that can line up in multiple positions making it more difficult for offenses to get a good pre-snap.

FWIW, I like his film. I don’t care what his team did. He looks like a kid that could flourish here. He’s athletic, aggressive through contact, and can run. He also has a frame that could add 35-40lbs of muscle. He reminds me a little of Obi, but not as fast.
All of these DB’s look like they can/will add at least 20-25 lbs. all of them looked aggressive with some of them displaying multiple techniques I.e pedal, shuffle, off and press techniques. All of these things are great when you’re talking high school kids. None of them looked unathletic. They all displayed some sort of playmaking ability.
The LB’s looked the same. Ability to put on muscle mass and aggressive at the point of attack. Not much more you can ask for. Just gotta feed them and lock them up in the weight room. With those facilities, you can turn any serious athlete with a good foundation into a player.
Just my opinion.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Lol. Kent State or Toledo.

Those aren’t necessary validating offers either.

Mainly a joke...that said compared to the FCS ones we've gotten recently, it's not so far fetched..

Reaction Score
Take one snippet of this ...

Most of the P5 and major recruiting AAC have 18-22 committed before the prospective rising season.

Edsall, absolutely, is dependent on Senior film - particularly on Linemen (offense & defense). I’m not saying the others - BC & Pitt & Syracuse & Rutgers - don’t do this. But Edsall expects his hypothesis on what kids he wants and what he evaluated includes the last testing 5-7 games before pouncing. The others? That’s like giving your Grade before the Final Exam.

Palatine just placed a great list in front of us. Edsall - we have to believe - can replicate that or do better.

Then ... Florida. Just different. And we are not going to smell what’s coming. Richardson knows the inside scoop from 25 years of relationships; he hasn’t batted 1000. But he’s gotten lots of solid DB talent.

Reaction Score
Two big differences

3. Edsall can't sell a chance to play for a National Championship, either.

Reaction Score
That's exactly where I am. I know Edsall can develop them up, especially on the D side, but man...and for every one guy who is a success who had only 1 offer, there's a dozen kids you never even think about who did NOT develop into solid players. Everyone always forgets that when they rush to talk about the one guy who works out.
Nobody ever mentions Kevin Poles. Lightly recruited. Was the first commit of the class. Never contributed to anything more than special teams. By all accounts a good kid, not intending to bash the kid, but those are the facts.

Reaction Score
Neither can most of the FBS teams out there. Better yet, they can try but they’re only selling a dream.
Can Illinois, Purdue, Indiana, Oregon State, etc truly sell a chance to play for the title besides being in a P5 conference? Not sure as a recruit you’re going to those schools to win it all.

Reaction Score
Most coaches/schools can't. That's the problem with college football. It amazes me how popular it is and 95% 0f schools never have a shot for a NC. Unlike the NCAA hoops tourny.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom