Incoming... | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Incoming...

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
This is completely made up. Nobody has said such a thing.

You are taking this personal Jimmy. I was just pointing out how many people are upset with the recruiting as they seem to be missing the so-called bigger names. There is a couple of players I wish UConn was able to land but so far I am happy with this class because it is built around speed, something sorely lacking last year.

Reaction Score
Unless someone has recruiting solutions for the staff this discussion about recruits with FBS offers is just beating the same dead horse for about the 400th time. It never goes anywhere and is kind of a downer for the new recruits i'm sure.

Would you rather we just not use the scholarships instead of taking a chance on a developmental player? So many of our best players started out as undervalued recruits.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Neither can most of the FBS teams out there. Better yet, they can try but they’re only selling a dream.
Can Illinois, Purdue, Indiana, Oregon State, etc truly sell a chance to play for the title besides being in a P5 conference? Not sure as a recruit you’re going to those schools to win it all.

This. Winning a battle with a name program is one thing. Even winning a battle with BC, Cuse, or Pitt is worth noting. A recruit having a offer from Rutgers or another P5 bottom feeder is no better than having no P5 offers. In some cases it might be worse.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Most coaches/schools can't. That's the problem with college football. It amazes me how popular it is and 95% 0f schools never have a shot for a NC. Unlike the NCAA hoops tourny.

Because it doesn’t revolve around the national champion.

It never has and that’s why the playoff has disappointed so many.

We need a playoff!

We need 8 teams!

We need 16 teams!

It’s never going to make people happy because figuring out a ‘national champion’ has never been why people love the sport.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Unless someone has recruiting solutions for the staff this discussion about recruits with FBS offers is just beating the same dead horse for about the 400th time. It never goes anywhere and is kind of a downer for the new recruits i'm sure.

Would you rather we just not use the scholarships instead of taking a chance on a developmental player? So many of our best players started out as undervalued recruits.

Get better at recruiting?

There is some guy who loves Valdosta State who HATES us.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
You are taking this personal Jimmy. I was just pointing out how many people are upset with the recruiting as they seem to be missing the so-called bigger names. There is a couple of players I wish UConn was able to land but so far I am happy with this class because it is built around speed, something sorely lacking last year.

Hornet cited 2 players with P5 offers and one with a Boise offer as recruits people are saying we shouldn’t have taken. It’s complete BS, and he deserves to be bashed for advancing such a fallacious position.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Is that meant to be a solution or did you just take another whack at the horse?

Here is the solution:

If this batch can’t recruit then fire them and find someone who can.

This conversation is absurd. There is no reason in the world UConn should be recruiting against Division II Valdosta State.

Not like when people mistakingly call FCS - Division II.

Real Division II. Like the division lower than Sacred Heart.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
So your you are ready to fire Edsall?

Nope. I’ll give him a fair shot. And I’m one of the few that is honest about the joke he inherited.

This garbage that somehow UConn doesn’t deserve to be able to win recruiting battles against FBS teams is tiresome.

Oh things are really rosy - we have the magic coaches that can win with players that 129 other teams don’t even think are worthy of a scholarship. Division II. Serenity now.

Reaction Score
Nope. I’ll give him a fair shot. And I’m one of the few that is honest about the joke he inherited.

This garbage that somehow UConn doesn’t deserve to be able to win recruiting battles against FBS teams is tiresome.

Oh things are really rosy - we have the magic coaches that can win with players that 129 other teams don’t even think are worthy of a scholarship. That Division II teams spend time on.
I am 100% behind Edsall, but I can't say I'm not a little worried about recruiting. We're in a league that continues to produce high flying offenses and I never like our odds in a shoot-out. I do like that we will probably see some varied tempo out of the offense and I think some more traditional passing and rushing concepts can be good for us. We need to be more physical and while we don't need to run the football often we need to run it well.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I don’t know if there is a stupider concept than the Diaco/Matt RKG.

Diaco would offer 100 guys that had multiple FBS offers. He’d land almost none of them.

Then when he finished putting together a mid-table CAA recruiting class he declared ‘right kinda guys’ - and then some would suspend disbelief and pretend there weren’t 100 players he wanted over them. They just didn’t have that magic RKG gene.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
I'm a person that definitely believes that the collective value of your star ratings and your offer lists shows your collective performance as a team two years later. But I will say the following in defense of our last 1 1/2 classes from Edsall; we seem to have good talent at the skills positions.

He seems to have picked up some good QBs, RBs, WRs, and guys in the trenches. Hopefully there are gems among the rest, or at least folks willing to work hard to upgrade their strength and technique. Then we can win a little more. When you win a little more, you recruit a little better...Then you win a little more...Then recruiting...Then winning...

...then recruiting...

(15-0 in no time at all!)

Reaction Score
That’s half this board’s attitude and has been while Rome has burned around us.

When we kept landing wrestling captains was my favorite era. If a Survivor Series breaks out at a Memphis game I bet we win.

My point is i'm not hearing any solutions just complaining. You just stated you are willing to give RE a fair chance, part of that fair chance should be welcoming the recruit he just reeled in or just don't say anything at all. Not every thought needs to be expressed in real time, hold your ammo until you are ready to fire.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I'm a person that definitely believes that the collective value of your star ratings and your offer lists shows your collective performance as a team two years later. But I will say the following in defense of our last 1 1/2 classes from Edsall; we seem to have good talent at the skills positions.

He seems to have picked up some good QBs, RBs, WRs, and guys in the trenches. Hopefully there are gems among the rest, or at least folks willing to work hard to upgrade their strength and technique. Then we can win a little more. When you win a little more, you recruit a little better...Then you win a little more...Then recruiting...Then winning...

...then recruiting...

(15-0 in no time at all!)

Maybe Pudge is right and he’s magic and breaks all the molds.

Fine by me.

I’m a former President of the Apologista Club.

I’m afraid this isn’t the 2007 Big East though.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
My point is i'm not hearing any solutions just complaining. You just stated you are willing to give RE a fair chance, part of that fair chance should be welcoming the recruit he just reeled in or just don't say anything at all. Not every thought needs to be expressed in real time.

I gave you the solution. If it turns out these guys can’t recruit find people who can.

Would you like me to recruit for them? I am available at 2MM guaranteed over 4 years. I’m pretty sure I’m out of their price range so my involvement would constitute violations

I haven’t said boo for 22 recruits.

Others were talking about it so I chimed in.

I’m not part of the orange cutting welcome wagon. Sorry this is FBS there are mean mean people with expectations.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Maybe Pudge is right and he’s magic and breaks all the molds.

Fine by me.

I’m a former President of the Apologista Club.

I’m afraid this isn’t the 2007 Big East though.

I'm with you on this one from the standpoint that it's a mathematical game of averages. Having a larger pool of players that were evaluated to be good gives you a better likelihood of having a squad that is good. Even an unreasonable homer like me will not deny the science of it... since I'm a working scientist and all!

One thing I will say is this, though; any one of these kids (or more) could be those diamonds in the rough that Edsall is famous for. And as such, since I don't know which one will end up being that diamond, I try to greet them all with the same level of enthusiasm. I think they deserve that for choosing to come to my school...

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I'm with you on this one from the standpoint that it's a mathematical game of averages. Having a larger pool of players that were evaluated to be good gives you a better likelihood of having a squad that is good. Even an unreasonable homer like me will not deny the science of it... since I'm a working scientist and all!

One thing I will say is this, though; any one of these kids (or more) could be those diamonds in the rough that Edsall is famous for. And as such, since I don't know which one will end up being that diamond, I try to greet them all with the same level of enthusiasm. I think they deserve that for choosing to come to my school...

I lost track this thread was about a particular committment.

None of my comments are about any individual player. None of the aggregate conversation applies to any single person.

Hell my argument is that this is a more attractive landing place than even most of our fanbase believes. It’s a decent league with comprehensive television coverage at a school with great facilities and a fanbase that will worship you if things turn out well.

Hopefully some players treat being underrecruited like Brady did getting picked in the 6th round.

Reaction Score

Amen to this, Great post.

Reaction Score
We’re probably not gonna many commits with other FBS offers. They’re not going for those guys because it will be a waste of time and resources. They are clearly working the under recruited market. There are lots of guys there.
Signing a guy with another FBS offer does what? It’s a false sense of security. You still have to come in, do well in school and get coached up. They don’t want finished products here. Clearly they want guys that they can mold.
Just be patient and trust the process. All of these players look athletic and have upside.
There is a difference between under-recruited and non-recruited. We are going after non-recruited

Reaction Score
Because it doesn’t revolve around the national champion.

It never has and that’s why the playoff has disappointed so many.

We need a playoff!

We need 8 teams!

We need 16 teams!

It’s never going to make people happy because figuring out a ‘national champion’ has never been why people love the sport.
I must say Whaler. You are starting to grow on me with your opining.

Nah, I do agree with you there. Like the Ohio State or Michigan fans say. Screw the Big Ten championship if you beat OSU or Mich that’s the season right there!
Border rivalries are much more anticipated then the weekly BCS rankings.
I follow the Vols and when they renewed the rivalry with VTech and had the Battle at Bristol over 130k people showed up for that.
That’s college football.
Money has ruined the sport. I understand it’s a necessary evil but it has caused things like conference realignments and recruiting rankings which dilutes the purity and sanctity of Saturdays.

C

Chief00

The position we desowrTely need talent at is DL. I am excited about Jones and we have some speed guys at LB who may become good pass rushers but we need a couple more thick studs up front with quick in the box feet.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
There seem to be plenty of quality guys around the country that didn't make the rating services or get offers from P5 programs. Heck, half the QB's in the MAC the last decade would have been a huge improvement.

Getting big name recruit would he nice, but any that we would get would come with a caveat, either a local or personal connection to the program or something that turned off the major programs. How many of our 4 star recruits actually made an impact? The differnce between a 2 and a 3 is who offered them. They represent all of the D1 pool that no one with the services has time to really scout. It's like discerning the 80th best team from the 60th. There is no real point.

If you sign 25 guys, there is no reason at least half of them can turn into winning players. It requires effort to find them.

Now think of Edsall, PP, and Diaco. How much effort do you think each put into recruiting evaluations?

I'd like to have guys with better credentials but I don't need them because until they play, we won't know.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom