In WTIC's "Dailey Recap" CD Expresses Disappointment... | Page 2 | The Boneyard

In WTIC's "Dailey Recap" CD Expresses Disappointment...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Justin, I notice you usually take the contrary opinion...but, in this case, just because you didn't see it doesn't mean it didn't happen. The action is always more visable from courtside than it is from our television sets and CD and Geno have the best seats in the house. Additionally, you don't know what CD may have said to Tara. Finally, calling someone out for what may be perceived as dangerous behavior or behavior that detracts from the game of basketball is a coaches choice and it falls under the heading of protecting their players or preserving the integrity of the game.

Justin is a fair-minded person who knows a lot of bball, period. I was sitting pretty to the court and saw grabbing and pushing on both sides. I also saw the arm grab Phil described and thought it was going to be called, but I didn't think it was intentional.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Justin is a fair-minded person who knows a lot of bball, period. I was sitting pretty to the court and saw grabbing and pushing on both sides. I also saw the arm grab Phil described and thought it was going to be called, but I didn't think it was intentional.

I think that Chris was just blowing off some steam. No "out of hand" physical play. Just tough basketball.

And this-just-in is not a Justin. He is a she named Helen who knows as much as anyone on this board about WCBB (well, maybe not me) and just tells it like she sees it. Or doesn't see it..lol.

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score

No offense cardfan...I didn't say Justin wasn't fair minded...just that her tendency is to take the contrary opinion...I think it is her personality. I am not saying that is good or bad just that in this case I think there may be more to the story regarding CD's comments. It isn't like CD runs all willy-nilly with her mouth very often. Finally, I respect your opinion but you have partisan loyalties and I prefer to trust my own eyes, those of all the posters here and what I know of CD's history.

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
DD I know exactly who Just-in is...was just a typo...and I am not questioning Just-in's basketball IQ...this was more to do with me simply not agreeing that she may have this one right. I provided my reasons and none of them are meant as an attack on Just-in...simply my observations regarding her posting history and how I see her past comments. Again, I am not judging her comments as good or bad but it does seem that she takes the contrarian position often. Sometimes she proves to be right and sometimes (like all of us) she proves to be wrong. In this case, I repeat, I think that we give CD the benefit of the doubt...she isn't usually one to pop off at the mouth...that's all I'm saying.

Reaction Score
I think that Chris was just blowing off some steam. No "out of hand" physical play. Just tough basketball.

And this-just-in is not a Justin. He is a she named Helen who knows as much as anyone on this board about WCBB (well, maybe not me) and just tells it like she sees it. Or doesn't see it..lol.

my typo. I know Helen. Sorry :)

Reaction Score
No offense cardfan...I didn't say Justin wasn't fair minded...just that her tendency is to take the contrary opinion...I think it is her personality. I am not saying that is good or bad just that in this case I think there may be more to the story regarding CD's comments. It isn't like CD runs all willy-nilly with her mouth very often. Finally, I respect your opinion but you have partisan loyalties and I prefer to trust my own eyes, those of all the posters here and what I know of CD's history.

my partisan eyes had a clearer view of the game in person.

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
my partisan eyes had a clearer view of the game in person.

That may be true and I defer to the fact that you were there and I wasn't but so was Chris Daly and Geno Auriemma...admittedly just as partisan as you and maybe moreso but then they do have a long history with our program for me to compare.

Reaction Score
To tell you the truth, this is the play the bugged me. KML was going up for a rebound and was suddenly grabbed from behind and slammed to the floor. I loved CO's intensity - very Tina like. However, it was clear at the time and in the photo below that she mugged KML and was rewarded with a put back and a free throw.

I thought that the first half non-call on Stef was a bit of a gift but it pales in comparison to this call.

p.php

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
How can an arm grab be anything but intentional?

huskybill

RIP, huskybill
Reaction Score
Putting your forearm out and clocking someone in the face/neck and flooring them.

I actually did watch critically -- and Stef got away with some great physicality. I was cool with that. Especially that obvious foul she committed in the first half that wasn't called.

I might have called an intentional and/or impeding foul (whatever that's officially called), but in the moment, I saw lunging for the ball and tangling up. Was it called?

'68 - could you use the word "punk" one more time? It's a lovely descriptive.

Given the events, it stretches credibility to suggest Dailey's comments were ambiguous and unfairly implicating every Cardinal. I do think she gets a little cranky at times; someone mentioned Auriemma hugged the same player (they have a history of fondness and good will); but no doubt she thought everyone knew who she was talking about.

I appreciate your comments, digger, and of course she's not implicating every Cardinal, but I have to wonder, why not simply say the player's name? Seems a tad disingenuous. If she no longer has any respect for a particular player, why not identify her? More to the point -- why say anything at all. Can you imagine is another coach said that about some unnamed UConn player?

Reaction Score
To tell you the truth, this is the play the bugged me. KML was going up for a rebound and was suddenly grabbed from behind and slammed to the floor. I loved CO's intensity - very Tina like. However, it was clear at the time and in the photo below that she mugged KML and was rewarded with a put back and a free throw.

I thought that the first half non-call on Stef was a bit of a gift but it pales in comparison to this call.

p.php

the non call on Dolson was huge because it would have been her 2nd foul, thus, sending her to the bench.

huskybill

RIP, huskybill
Reaction Score
Darn, once again I must agree with ThisJustIn. It probably hurts me as much to say it as it hurts her to hear it. I thought UConn, especially Stef was about as rough as Stanford. Stef could have been called for 5 or 6 fouls. But so could many other players. The officials were choosing to let the rough stuff go, for the most part. And it seems that my solution, to have fans call out "DON'T LET THEM PLAY,' has not yet made it to the west coast. I'm not sure it's made it to the east coast yet either.

In any event, still a great win by the Huskies.

Reaction Score
My impression from watching the ESPNU broadcast was that the referees allowed a fairly physical game that didn't seem to get out of hand at any point. I'll admit I didn't see what Geno was reacting to when he got T'd up and will have to go back through the recording to see if there was a clothesline which I don't consider normal physical play.

I think Chiney gave and took a lot of contact in the game, and I wouldn't characterize anything I saw as labeling her anything but a player that adapts to how the referees are calling the game. That said, the grabbing on Breanna was a concession by Chiney and the other Stanford bigs that they can't guard a player that mobile all over the court. It's up to the referees to call those grabs, and Breanna needs to learn how to maintain her balance and fend off the grabs because she's going to see that a lot in her career. My respect for Chiney didn't go down here, but my respect for Breanna certainly went up...her presence on the court distorted Chiney's game substantially to the detriment of Stanford...and the supporting cast wasn't able to handle the athletes in the paint in her absence...I'd cite Kaleena's flying offensive rebound and acrobatic putback, while two Stanford players appear motionless on the play, as Exhibit A...

The CD comment implies that she saw something I didn't, so perhaps there was a dangerous play that was off camera or one I simply missed.

Reaction Score
My impression from watching the ESPNU broadcast was that the referees allowed a fairly physical game that didn't seem to get out of hand at any point. I'll admit I didn't see what Geno was reacting to when he got T'd up and will have to go back through the recording to see if there was a clothesline which I don't consider normal physical play.

I think Chiney gave and took a lot of contact in the game, and I wouldn't characterize anything I saw as labeling her anything but a player that adapts to how the referees are calling the game. That said, the grabbing on Breanna was a concession by Chiney and the other Stanford bigs that they can't guard a player that mobile all over the court. It's up to the referees to call those grabs, and Breanna needs to learn how to maintain her balance and fend off the grabs because she's going to see that a lot in her career. My respect for Chiney didn't go down here, but my respect for Breanna certainly went up...her presence on the court distorted Chiney's game substantially to the detriment of Stanford...and the supporting cast wasn't able to handle the athletes in the paint in her absence...I'd cite Kaleena's flying offensive rebound and acrobatic putback, while two Stanford players appear motionless on the play, as Exhibit A...

The CD comment implies that she saw something I didn't, so perhaps there was a dangerous play that was off camera or one I simply missed.

excellent post.

Reaction Score

p.php
I also thought this one was excessive and may have been the one CD was referring to.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
In this play, earl, Chiney had come over KML's back to get the ball and then threw KML to the ground with the linked arms before before Chiney controlled the ball. The totallity of the play was even worse than the moment pictured above.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score

p.php
Yes I remember this one. Bad call by the refs on this one. And the one where Stewart was "clothes-lined" (around the neck/shoulder area) was the one Geno got a Technical for. Stewart was also grabbed on the arm on the breakaway and also once on a rebound (by CO that time). Stewart actually got beat up pretty good by the team that said they didn't want to play physical. That might have been what CD was upset with. ???

freekimchee

food whisperer
Reaction Score
It was physical on both sides. Players from both teams got away with some. I didn't really see anything that would have made me mad.

grizz36

Misabe Mukwa
Reaction Score
Playing in, and around, the post is not, and in the long glorious history of basketball, has ever been for the faint of heart. It is more like a demolition derby and it matters not who is playing and at what level the game is being played. It seems to me that many fainthearted people are posting in this thread. Meanwhile I will try to decide which nostril of my nose I will attempt to breathe through tonight after many breaks and look down at my feet through a slight permanent closure of my right eye to a funny looking misshape of my right ankle. Probably the frequent KO's made me become a bear. :( As the great Bill Russell once said that basketball was, indeed, a contact sport; Football is a collision sport.

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
Well stills don't always tell the story so here are the two video views from ESPNU of the rebound sequence.

One thing I have concluded, there was no foul committed by Breanna on Ogwumike's shot after the rebound.

Reaction Score
Well stills don't always tell the story so here are the two video views from ESPNU of the rebound sequence.

One thing I have concluded, there was no foul committed by Breanna on Ogwumike's shot after the rebound.

How does CO not get called for a foul?? Even more amazing she ends up getting "and 1" . One of worst calls I eve saw. Thanks for posting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TTown

Top Bottom