In WTIC's "Dailey Recap" CD Expresses Disappointment... | The Boneyard

In WTIC's "Dailey Recap" CD Expresses Disappointment...

Status
Not open for further replies.

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
with the conduct of some unnamed Stanford player or players that she "used to have respect for." Apparently referring to some unnecessary "physicality" and the pretense that Stanford does not engage in such base behavior. Paraphrasing: Be physical if that is your game but don't deny it and pretend to be something else.

psconn

Reaction Score
Possibly... she never said by name.

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
My guess is Chiney, Ruef, or both.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Disappointing for any Stanford player to play that kind of game, but kudos to CD for publicly calling them out, even if not by name. I did notice, though, that Geno and Chiney exchanged a hug after the game while going thru the hand-shake line...

psconn

Reaction Score
IIRC CD mentioned forearm shoves to the back but I don't recall where in the game that happened. Chiney crushed KML over the back and Chiney ended up on the foul line... BO-gus!

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
Interesting. I didn't see much I'd complain about -- even the two arm grabs seemed part of the action and not unpleasantly intentional. I wonder if something was said?

As for "publicly calling them out," that's actually rather bogus. She didn't call anyone out, just sparked a ton of speculation, tarring ever Cardinal with the same brush. Either say it to Tara or don't say it at all ('cause we know that Geno's learned not to say it to the player....)

Reaction Score
IIRC CD mentioned forearm shoves to the back but I don't recall where in the game that happened. Chiney crushed KML over the back and Chiney ended up on the foul line... BO-gus!
That has to be what she was upset about. that was blatant!

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score
That's interesting to me. I'm usually on here defending physical play. For the most part I did not think Stanford was as physical as either Maryland or Penn State, and neither of those games bothered me. I'm certainly not bothered by arm grabs, though I think they should be called when observed. However, there was a tendency with one player on Stanford to repeatedly come close to clotheslining other players. When Auriemma got his technical it wasn't because he was trying to rally the team (obviously) but after the third incident of the same player getting a little physical with her arm and a UConn player's shoulder tops/neck. Mind you, I don't think it was all intentional, though I don't think it was completely innocent either. My beef in this case is really with the officials. I expect Ogwumike to get away with stuff, just as I expect Dolson to, particularly with things like pushing and stealthy arm grabs. Once again, physical play does not bother me. But intentional or innocent what I saw was dangerous play that officials should have addressed as early as possible.

Given the events, it stretches credibility to suggest Dailey's comments were ambiguous and unfairly implicating every Cardinal. I do think she gets a little cranky at times; someone mentioned Auriemma hugged the same player (they have a history of fondness and good will); but no doubt she thought everyone knew who she was talking about.

Reaction Score
Interesting. I didn't see much I'd complain about -- even the two arm grabs seemed part of the action and not unpleasantly intentional. I wonder if something was said?

As for "publicly calling them out," that's actually rather bogus. She didn't call anyone out, just sparked a ton of speculation, tarring ever Cardinal with the same brush. Either say it to Tara or don't say it at all ('cause we know that Geno's learned not to say it to the player....)
Ruef's arm grab on Stewie when she was breaking away for an easy layup was so obvious she got to shoot two for an intentional foul. You need to watch more critically!

Reaction Score
That's interesting to me. I'm usually on here defending physical play. For the most part I did not think Stanford was as physical as either Maryland or Penn State, and neither of those games bothered me. I'm certainly not bothered by arm grabs, though I think they should be called when observed. However, there was a tendency with one player on Stanford to repeatedly come close to clotheslining other players. When Auriemma got his technical it wasn't because he was trying to rally the team (obviously) but after the third incident of the same player getting a little physical with her arm and a UConn player's shoulder tops/neck. Mind you, I don't think it was all intentional, though I don't think it was completely innocent either. My beef in this case is really with the officials. I expect Ogwumike to get away with stuff, just as I expect Dolson to, particularly with things like pushing and stealthy arm grabs. Once again, physical play does not bother me. But intentional or innocent what I saw was dangerous play that officials should have addressed as early as possible.

Given the events, it stretches credibility to suggest Dailey's comments were ambiguous and unfairly implicating every Cardinal. I do think she gets a little cranky at times; someone mentioned Auriemma hugged the same player (they have a history of fondness and good will); but no doubt she thought everyone knew who she was talking about.
I agree that both UConn coaches are close to Chiney but I don't believe excessively physical let alone dangerous play should be ignored. When a player is clothes lined it is not physical it is outright dangerous and should be called and maybe even cause for expulsion as it could cause serious injury!!!!

Reaction Score

O was elbowing and grabbing cutters and several times tried to take down Stewie. Tara and her two twins teach that kind of play or the players wouldn't do it. No comparison as to how any Uconn players play and what O was doing.
So you think CD gets a little cranky sometimes, she should have been with the play by Trees. Geno isn't going to not hug someone he knows and likes because she played like a punk, that's not how you teach someone to be better - you hug her and tell her "come on O, you're better than that".

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
What exactly is clothes-lining?
Putting your forearm out and clocking someone in the face/neck and flooring them.

I actually did watch critically -- and Stef got away with some great physicality. I was cool with that. Especially that obvious foul she committed in the first half that wasn't called.

I might have called an intentional and/or impeding foul (whatever that's officially called), but in the moment, I saw lunging for the ball and tangling up. Was it called?

'68 - could you use the word "punk" one more time? It's a lovely descriptive.

I appreciate your comments, digger, and of course she's not implicating every Cardinal, but I have to wonder, why not simply say the player's name? Seems a tad disingenuous. If she no longer has any respect for a particular player, why not identify her? More to the point -- why say anything at all. Can you imagine is another coach said that about some unnamed UConn player?

Reaction Score
Putting your forearm out and clocking someone in the face/neck and flooring them.

I actually did watch critically -- and Stef got away with some great physicality. I was cool with that. Especially that obvious foul she committed in the first half that wasn't called.

I might have called an intentional and/or impeding foul (whatever that's officially called), but in the moment, I saw lunging for the ball and tangling up. Was it called?

'68 - could you use the word "punk" one more time? It's a lovely descriptive.

I appreciate your comments, digger, and of course she's not implicating every Cardinal, but I have to wonder, why not simply say the player's name? Seems a tad disingenuous. If she no longer has any respect for a particular player, why not identify her? More to the point -- why say anything at all. Can you imagine is another coach said that about some unnamed UConn player?
I agree Stef got away with one in the 12sdt half but compared to Chiney she was a saint!!!!

Reaction Score

Agree. Well said.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
I didn't see anything I would be upset about. Chris, on the other hand is the mother hen. She might view things differently.

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score

I think this was just a moment of emotion from Chris that if that interview happens 30 minutes later she says something different. We all think of Chris as cool and collected (and compared to Geno she undoubtedly is). However, she's got fire in her and she's very protective of her charges. Not one of her best quotes but not a big deal either.

Reaction Score
Without going back and actually listening to CD (or re-reading), is it possible that the person she was calling out was Tara? Tara is the one who spent the week "denying" she wanted physical. I'm not aware of any Stanford player "denying".

Reaction Score
Without going back and actually listening to CD (or re-reading), is it possible that the person she was calling out was Tara? Tara is the one who spent the week "denying" she wanted physical. I'm not aware of any Stanford player "denying".
This is entirely possible, but I did not hear it myself so without hearing the actual comment, or reading a direct quote, it is hard to say. But that would make sense, since Tara did pointedly, and publicly, make the comment that excessive physicality was not Stanford's style.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score

Seriously? One of the arm grabs was after the UConn player stole the ball and was headed down court. The grab was of the other arm, so not a chance it was going for the ball and got the arm. I thought they might call intentional, two shots and the ball, but I think I saw a Stanford player, so it might not have been uncontested layup. As for the rest , it mostly looked like usual physical basketball.

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
Justin, I notice you usually take the contrary opinion...but, in this case, just because you didn't see it doesn't mean it didn't happen. The action is always more visable from courtside than it is from our television sets and CD and Geno have the best seats in the house. Additionally, you don't know what CD may have said to Tara. Finally, calling someone out for what may be perceived as dangerous behavior or behavior that detracts from the game of basketball is a coach's choice and it falls under the heading of protecting their players or preserving the integrity of the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom