I'm starting to think it isn't Ollie. | Page 6 | The Boneyard

I'm starting to think it isn't Ollie.

Reaction Score
Perhaps, but will it be the beginning of the end or the end of the beginning? I fear the latter.
I really disagree, I'm optimistic because coaching is everything. If Geno and Jim Penders can continue rolling out great teams in a crappy league, then UConn can do the same thing in men's basketball, and if you think Geno gets all the top players, ask yourself how highly recruited Gabby Williams and Kia Nurse were when Geno signed them and if they are better players now because of great coaching. Dare I say HCRE is on the right track with the football program as well. We need a young hungry basketball coach who can recruit, teach the game, motivate his players, lead and coach during games, and hire the right assistants. Jim Calhoun was that coach 35 years ago and he did it in the toughest league in history. Easier said than done but we can find the next great UConn men's basketball coach and reclaim what the program has lost. Smart people learn by their mistakes, even the ones in our athletic dept and the UConn administration, and the BOT.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I really disagree, I'm optimistic because coaching is everything. If Geno and Jim Penders can continue rolling out great teams in a crappy league, then UConn can do the same thing in men's basketball, and if you think Geno gets all the top players, ask yourself how highly recruited Gabby Williams and Kia Nurse were when Geno signed them and if they are better players now because of great coaching. Dare I say HCRE is on the right track with the football program as well. We need a young hungry basketball coach who can recruit, teach the game, motivate his players, lead and coach during games, and hire the right assistants. Jim Calhoun was that coach 35 years ago and he did it in the toughest league in history. Easier said than done but we can find the next great UConn men's basketball coach and reclaim what the program has lost. Smart people learn by their mistakes, even the ones in our athletic dept and the UConn administration, and the BOT.

OMG give this one up. Penders is doing a great job and many of these crappy AAC basketball teams are very good baseball programs so the league is better in that sport. And please give up the womens comparisons it is so stupid it's beyond belief not even close to the same world. :eek:

Reaction Score
Except he recruited the TOP 10 class in Nation just last year in the .... wait for it… The American Atheletic Conference.
Who were these studs in this so call Top 10 class?
Injured and frail Durham? Injured Gilbert? Injured Diarra? I am as good as Paul George and doesn't like to play defense Vance Jackson? Vital is a good 6 or 7 man on a good team...

Reaction Score
It’s 100% the coaching.

I had the misfortune of being dragged to the Duke—St. John’s game yesterday. Watching another team live, even a bad team like SJU, made me realize just how atrocious our offense is. Yesterday was an abnormally good game for SJU, but even in the first 10 mins while they were trailing by 5-7 pts they hit the big man cutting to the basket off the pick and roll at least 4x. They drove and dished a few times for easy baskets. On the rare occasion a Uconn player does something like this I think to myself “what a great play”. But watching other teams makes you realize that these are very basic plays that every D1 player, even mediocre players on bad teams, know how to do. If they’re not doing them, it’s the coaching.

Here are stats to back up what our eyes all see (AAC ranks in Assists per 40):

- Anderson and Vital rank 32nd and 35th out of 38 qualifying guards
- Larrier is last among 13 SF

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
And the fact that we can’t shoot is not a 1 week sample. Players at this level and by this time of the season aren’t pressing with nervousness. They are just not good enough % shooters. Even with wide open uncontested shots many times. We’re they great shooters in high school? I bet not.

The team isn't loaded with great shooters, it's true, but they miss tons of layups as well, and take so many stupid shots.

But the main thing I see is that very few of their shots come in rhythm. They are often forced and outside of the flow of the offense. Adams is the only one who can really shoot off the dribble, and that, only around the basket. When Vital or Larrier gets a catch and shoot opportunity (which is what they should be taking), they shoot a high %. Instead, those guys are being forced to shoot jumpers off the dribble. That's not their game. We don't move the ball and create the shots our guys can make.

Reaction Score
OMG give this one up. Penders is doing a great job and many of these crappy AAC basketball teams are very good baseball programs so the league is better in that sport. And please give up the womens comparisons it is so stupid it's beyond belief not even close to the same world. :eek:
Stop being a god damn caretaker for your precious mens basketball team at the expense of all other athletic programs. Try being a fan of the school instead, might open your eyes. Only thing stupid are your weak, dumb rebuttals to several posters. If you don't like my posts just click ignore. Look in the mirror and say to yourself 1000 times "it's all about coaching", maybe you'll get a clue, but I'm betting against it.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Who were these studs in this so call Top 10 class?
Injured and frail Durham? Injured Gilbert? Injured Diarra? I am as good as Paul George and doesn't like to play defense Vance Jackson? Vital is a good 6 or 7 man on a good team...
You know the class. You can denigrate players all you want or make justifications. In fact seems like every high ranked player that comes here, whether it’s Purvis (another McDonalds all American) from older classes, or Hamilton, or the top 10 ranked class last year that doesn’t even factor in Larrier (yet another high ranked stud) into th Top 10 ranking, it’s always the player and never the coaching staff that’s mismanaged the talent. Enough is enough, you need to stop making excuses and start looking at why all of these highly ranked players that come here are not playing to potential or jumping ship under Kevin Ollie and staff. It’s easy to denigrate and make an
excuse or justification for playerer X or player Y, but when we’re talking 7-10 different players that you’re still making excuses for nobody’s buying it. Just far too many players for all to be coincidence

Reaction Score
Stop being a god damn caretaker for your precious mens basketball team at the expense of all other athletic programs. Try being a fan of the school instead, might open your eyes. Only thing stupid are your weak, dumb rebuttals to several posters. If you don't like my posts just click ignore. Look in the mirror and say to yourself 1000 times "it's all about coaching", maybe you'll get a clue, but I'm betting against it.

You're a lost soul rob. I am a fan of the school built off being a fan of the men's basketball team in the late 60's early 70's so don't go there you will lose once again. You are a dope and you need to know 90% of the posters agree with any Geno vs KO comparison is ridiculous. They just played the defending champs and 7th ranked team and it was over after the 1st quarter the difference in the games are miles apart. Little girls grow up wanting to be good enough to play for the Huskies it wouldn't matter if they were in the AAC the A10 or the MAAC they'd be who they are so stop the BS.

You aren't worth ignoring by the way you're stupidity is entertaining so keep it up.

Reaction Score
I have some problems with Ollie but let's leave that for now.

Red Auerbach would have problems winning with this bunch.

They can't shoot.
They can't rebound.
They have mediocre handles.
They can't draw fouls.

Except for that we should be undefeated.

If Ollie isn't responsible for this roster and ultimately everything on your list, then what the heck are we paying him over 3 million dollars for? What is his responsibility in your opinion?

Reaction Score
You're a lost soul rob. I am a fan of the school built off being a fan of the men's basketball team in the late 60's early 70's so don't go there you will lose once again. You are a dope and you need to know 90% of the posters agree with any Geno vs KO comparison is ridiculous. They just played the defending champs and 7th ranked team and it was over after the 1st quarter the difference in the games are miles apart. Little girls grow up wanting to be good enough to play for the Huskies it wouldn't matter if they were in the AAC the A10 or the MAAC they'd be who they are so stop the BS.

You aren't worth ignoring by the way you're stupidity is entertaining so keep it up.
Awesome. Ok

Reaction Score
It’s 100% the coaching.

I had the misfortune of being dragged to the Duke—St. John’s game yesterday. Watching another team live, even a bad team like SJU, made me realize just how atrocious our offense is. Yesterday was an abnormally good game for SJU, but even in the first 10 mins while they were trailing by 5-7 pts they hit the big man cutting to the basket off the pick and roll at least 4x. They drove and dished a few times for easy baskets. On the rare occasion a Uconn player does something like this I think to myself “what a great play”. But watching other teams makes you realize that these are very basic plays that every D1 player, even mediocre players on bad teams, know how to do. If they’re not doing them, it’s the coaching.

Here are stats to back up what our eyes all see (AAC ranks in Assists per 40):

- Anderson and Vital rank 32nd and 35th out of 38 qualifying guards
- Larrier is last among 13 SF

Yes he's 13th because he's an awful passer and ball handler. Now it is "coaching" because they thought he was a fit. But it is NOT coaching because he can't pass or handle the ball. Listen I'm way past the support KO stuff I promise, but 100% coaching is ridiculous some of the kids, especially a Larrier, need to be held accountable. I will give him the fact he's lost some athleticism due to the knee and now the face mask can't be helping. But if you can't dribble the ball in traffic, play physcial in traffic or pass the ball the coaches can't help you get better in those phases of the game it's on you. Most likely if you're a crappy passer you will always be this was something which started in HS and ball handling should've started at the Boys Club when he was 10-12.

And even to the defense of all these guys who are they throwing it to? People that can't score pretty tough to get an assist if they don't finish. It is coaching if only because he once again isn't getting basketball players who can play the game, shoot the ball, pass the ball and handle the ball. I agree then, shame on him. But these kids have flaws all because they don't work hard on things outside of the program many times, and they aren't naturals at the details of the game. Need more "basketball players." One of the biggest losses we had wa the Diallo at PC - he's a basketball player. Not great by any means but really good at everything including knowing the game. We need more players like him.

Reaction Score
Gabby was a mcd’s aa after 2 knee injuries and an alternate to the London olympics for the high jump out of high school. Kia was the in questioned leader of a rising Canadian talent pool and the captain of the only team to ever beat breanna Stewart on the college age level I guess I am missing your point here.

Reaction Score
It's a mix of both, but it's 90% on KO. We're a very young team. We have three 3-star frontcourt kids playing more than they should. Think about a kid like Facey, 4-star recruit who didn't play as a freshman. Whaley and Polley are similar, they shouldn't be playing. They aren't ready, they need time but KO doesn't have a choice. Gilbert's injury hurts, any college team who has to go through the season with one point guard is going to struggle.

But my lord, KO could be tried for crimes against the game of basketball. Coaches have to look at their roster and put them in the best situation to succeed. Look at their strengths (or weaknesses) and mold a gameplan and strategy around that. You can't treat every player the same. You can't ask Vital, Anderson, Polley and Larrier to isolate/attack off the dribble all game long. That's idiotic, it will never work. That's not who those kids are. They should never be asked to catch the ball on the perimeter, face up and try to beat someone off the dribble with a first-step. Vital every now and then given a matchup - maybe. Larrier, Anderson and Polley should never be putting the ball on the floor unless they're catching it in motion on a cut. We should run stuff that gives Larrier and Polley catch-and-shoot opportunities. Anderson has to be a glue guy - take opportunities when they're there but don't create or force things. My lord, we actually gave Onoruah a post touch yesterday so he could make a move. I'm willing to bet Cornell didn't even let him do that. To get to the point, KO's offense needs to be thrown in the trash and burned. Install something else.

Our offense has no structure, the kids are given way too much freedom and responsibility to create and make things happen. This team is nowhere near good enough for that. Nearly every college team isn't. Our 2004 team would look like crap in this offense - could you imagine if we gave Rashad Anderson the ball on the wing 20 times a game and asked him to dribble penetrate and create for others?

Reaction Score
Gabby was a mcd’s aa after 2 knee injuries and an alternate to the London olympics for the high jump out of high school. Kia was the in questioned leader of a rising Canadian talent pool and the captain of the only team to ever beat breanna Stewart on the college age level I guess I am missing your point here.
Yes you are. My points were Geno does not recruit all the top players, sure he goes after many in the top ten but that doesn't get them a starting spot on the team. He's very selective on the type of player he recruits according to his coaching philosophy, and he has recruited that way for 30 years. Lower ranked players that he recruits have the same shot. When you consider that UConn has gotten the top player in the country almost every year, Nurse was not highly ranked, I think top 40. Gabby Williams was ranked 14 but was coming into college recruiting she had two knee injuries, so many programs backed away but Geno gave her a shot. My other point, ask yourself if Williams and Nurse have blossomed under Geno's tutelage? So answer my question, yes or no? Are they better players now? Damn right they are. Compare Williams success at Uconn despite two knee injuries, to how Juwan Durham did playing for Ollie? It's night and day. Coaching is everything, remember that.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Uh, they were both 5-stars. Great argument, counselor. Anything else?
Big f....ing deal. Five stars might mean something but then again it might not. In 2015 Katie Lou Samuelson was a five star as were the 52 players ranked under her. Lol

Reaction Score
Yes you are. My points were Geno does not get all the top players, sure he gets many in the top ten but that doesn't get them a starting spot on the team. Lower ranked players that he recruits have the same shot. When you consider that UConn has gotten the top player in the country almost every year, Nurse was not highly ranked, I think top 40. Gabby Williams was ranked 14 but was coming into college recruiting she had two knee injuries, so many programs backed away but Geno gave her a shot. My other point, ask yourself if Williams and Nurse have blossomed under Geno's tutelage? So answer my question, yes or no? Are they better players now? Damn right they are. Compare Williams success at Uconn despite two knee injuries, to how Juwan Durham did playing for Ollie? It's night and day. Coaching is everything, remember that.
Can’t really compare Williams n Durham since miss gabby who I love n brings it night after night , she’s top 5 imho .. she been playing for 4 years so she had year after year to show what she has talent wise .. Durham not so much he was coming off a injury even 8-10 games in season,Ollie didn’t wanna play him could’ve used a redshirt

Reaction Score
Big f....ing deal. Five stars might mean something but then again it might not. In 2015 Katie Lou Samuelson was a five star as were the 52 players ranked under her. Lol

If I were as dumb as you seem to be I'd ease up on coming after people. You said they weren't highly recruited. You were shown to be wrong. Just accept it and enjoy your afternoon.

Reaction Score
UConn women roster by recruiting class year and player rank (ESPN Hoopgurlz):

2014: 14 Gabby Williams, 24 Azura Stevens, 33 Kia Nurse
2015: 1 Samuelson, 6 Collier, 53 Camara
2016: 3 Dangerfield, NR Bent, NR Irwin
2017: 1 Walker, 13 Coombs, 29 Gordon

And that's with 3 top 30 players transferring out. #1 and #5 overall players joining next year. Poor Geno and his lack of talent.

Reaction Score
Yes you are. My points were Geno does not get all the top players, sure he gets many in the top ten but that doesn't get them a starting spot on the team. Lower ranked players that he recruits have the same shot. When you consider that UConn has gotten the top player in the country almost every year, Nurse was not highly ranked, I think top 40. Gabby Williams was ranked 14 but was coming into college recruiting she had two knee injuries, so many programs backed away but Geno gave her a shot. My other point, ask yourself if Williams and Nurse have blossomed under Geno's tutelage? So answer my question, yes or no? Are they better players now? Damn right they are. Compare Williams success at Uconn despite two knee injuries, to how Juwan Durham did playing for Ollie? It's night and day. Coaching is everything, remember that.
If coaching is everything then Ollie coached a team to a national championship and your argument would mean that he made the 2014 team who they are, right? Coaching is a big part of it remember that. There are so many other parts to it is very complex, which is why I totally disagree with people posting fire Ollie it's allllll his fault. I do think he is over his head in a very tough spot with all the bad luck, bad conference, tough schedule(had o make one because of prior years in AAC lack of respect). He knows way more about basketball then many give him credit for. I worry most about his recruiting players that he thinks are great or could be great and it isn't working out. I feel he should finish his contract and move on. My opinion this is the best situation for our program long term even if he doesn't get better and it is awful the next few years. Losing all these games doesn't change my opinion of it. I don't see a coach out there that makes me think we have to get this guy now he would be so much better it is worth putting the fired head coach stigma on our program. I do think Danny hurley might be a good fit for the future if it works out in a couple years. Of course NCAA investigation might make this all different.

Reaction Score
It's a mix of both, but it's 90% on KO. We're a very young team. We have three 3-star frontcourt kids playing more than they should. Think about a kid like Facey, 4-star recruit who didn't play as a freshman. Whaley and Polley are similar, they shouldn't be playing. They aren't ready, they need time but KO doesn't have a choice. Gilbert's injury hurts, any college team who has to go through the season with one point guard is going to struggle.

But my lord, KO could be tried for crimes against the game of basketball. Coaches have to look at their roster and put them in the best situation to succeed. Look at their strengths (or weaknesses) and mold a gameplan and strategy around that. You can't treat every player the same. You can't ask Vital, Anderson, Polley and Larrier to isolate/attack off the dribble all game long. That's idiotic, it will never work. That's not who those kids are. They should never be asked to catch the ball on the perimeter, face up and try to beat someone off the dribble with a first-step. Vital every now and then given a matchup - maybe. Larrier, Anderson and Polley should never be putting the ball on the floor unless they're catching it in motion on a cut. We should run stuff that gives Larrier and Polley catch-and-shoot opportunities. Anderson has to be a glue guy - take opportunities when they're there but don't create or force things. My lord, we actually gave Onoruah a post touch yesterday so he could make a move. I'm willing to bet Cornell didn't even let him do that. To get to the point, KO's offense needs to be thrown in the trash and burned. Install something else.

Our offense has no structure, the kids are given way too much freedom and responsibility to create and make things happen. This team is nowhere near good enough for that. Nearly every college team isn't. Our 2004 team would look like crap in this offense - could you imagine if we gave Rashad Anderson the ball on the wing 20 times a game and asked him to dribble penetrate and create for others?
I disagree about Anderson. He can definitely drive and dish or drive and take a pull up shot. The problem with him is he thinks he is Jalen and can battle amongst the trees and make circus layups which he can’t. He needs to dribble and dish and only take uncontested layups. Vital and larrier I agree have a tough time dribble penetrating because of below average handles.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYCVET

Top Bottom