I'm starting to think it isn't Ollie. | Page 8 | The Boneyard

I'm starting to think it isn't Ollie.

Reaction Score
Yes he's 13th because he's an awful passer and ball handler. Now it is "coaching" because they thought he was a fit. But it is NOT coaching because he can't pass or handle the ball. Listen I'm way past the support KO stuff I promise, but 100% coaching is ridiculous some of the kids, especially a Larrier, need to be held accountable. I will give him the fact he's lost some athleticism due to the knee and now the face mask can't be helping. But if you can't dribble the ball in traffic, play physcial in traffic or pass the ball the coaches can't help you get better in those phases of the game it's on you. Most likely if you're a crappy passer you will always be this was something which started in HS and ball handling should've started at the Boys Club when he was 10-12.

And even to the defense of all these guys who are they throwing it to? People that can't score pretty tough to get an assist if they don't finish. It is coaching if only because he once again isn't getting basketball players who can play the game, shoot the ball, pass the ball and handle the ball. I agree then, shame on him. But these kids have flaws all because they don't work hard on things outside of the program many times, and they aren't naturals at the details of the game. Need more "basketball players." One of the biggest losses we had wa the Diallo at PC - he's a basketball player. Not great by any means but really good at everything including knowing the game. We need more players like him.
I hear you - seems like we prioritize athletes not basketball players and their limits are not all the coaches’ fault. But that’s why I compared them to SJU, not Duke, since SJU’s record indicates they also have limited players. But frankly I was shocked at how much better their limited players functioned as a team. Maybe I shouldn’t have been.

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
I'm new to the Boneyard but I've noticed no one pointing out the real issue here. A team won't and can't be great if it's not a team. I guess Jalen is God to the people here because no one is pointing out the fact that he's one of the biggest ball hogs ever. Ollie is definitely at fault for creating and approving a player to be so selfish. That whole no "I" in team is real. Every man for themselves is what I see besides the few who actually look for others on the court. Bashing players that just came in to a program that was already setup for one person to shine is asinine. I'm interested in how many people on this board actually play or played basketball. How many people have a real understanding of the game and how it's played. Larrier, Vital and mostly Adams is here to see how many points they can put up each game. Now points are very vitally important but not including or thinking about the team will get you no where....this team needs a reality check and Ollie needs to man up and tell his ball hogs to either share the ball or sit. It's hard for players to make shots when no one looks to pass.

Kick the pilots out of the plane and the passengers will snap to and land it safely.

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
Who were both much better players.

I've said 1000 times and I'll say it again. DBev was the most underrated and underappreciated player/teammate we've ever had. 2011 doesn't happen without him.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
He's only asked to do so much because the coach isn't looking to make others be effective in the game...and honestly he isn't trying to give others a chance to help him out. One thing about basketball...if you aren't shooting often in a game....it will show when you decide or finally get the opportunity to shoot. Jalen is not a team player...bottom line. Take him off the court and I guarantee others will produce. Can't say what the rest can't do when they haven't been given the chance to prove themselves.
Welcome to the board, Mrs. Anderson.

Reaction Score
I'm new to the Boneyard but I've noticed no one pointing out the real issue here. A team won't and can't be great if it's not a team. I guess Jalen is God to the people here because no one is pointing out the fact that he's one of the biggest ball hogs ever. Ollie is definitely at fault for creating and approving a player to be so selfish. That whole no "I" in team is real. Every man for themselves is what I see besides the few who actually look for others on the court. Bashing players that just came in to a program that was already setup for one person to shine is asinine. I'm interested in how many people on this board actually play or played basketball. How many people have a real understanding of the game and how it's played. Larrier, Vital and mostly Adams is here to see how many points they can put up each game. Now points are very vitally important but not including or thinking about the team will get you no where....this team needs a reality check and Ollie needs to man up and tell his ball hogs to either share the ball or sit. It's hard for players to make shots when no one looks to pass.

Watching Adams smile and celebrate with a teammate after making a three at the end of the Cinci game that we were never in at home tells me all I need to know about Ollie, his program and Jalen.

Reaction Score
Hey
It's still mostly coaching for me. The team always looks like they just met each other 10 minutes before the game and they're playing their first pickup at the Y.
kemballer I like the tag. I used that monicker of kemballer walker back in 2010-11 right after I had we got thabeet ( I think) and before Drummond bass. Anyway love play with names. Don’t let these Debbie downers rule the day.

Reaction Score
I have some problems with Ollie but let's leave that for now.

Red Auerbach would have problems winning with this bunch.

They can't shoot.
They can't rebound.
They have mediocre handles.
They can't draw fouls.

Except for that we should be undefeated.

I like this post because I've felt this all along. He has his downfalls, but kids aren't coming here. Geno auriemma always says if it weren't for Good players he wouldn't be what he is

Reaction Score
UConn is bad at every aspect of the game.

To think that’s somehow not the responsibility of the head coach....I don’t know what to tell you.

One of the very few times I disagree with you. Some players just are limited

Reaction Score
My name is definitely not Mrs. Anderson...not sure who that is.
Neo's mother.

220px-NeoTheMatrix.jpg

Reaction Score
One of the very few times I disagree with you. Some players just are limited

So let's take a step back. People said we weren't winning because Purvis Facey and Brimah were not good players. Let's assume that that's true just for the sake of argument.

People said KO hit the reset button by having Enoch, Jackson and Durham transfer because they weren't UConn players and didn't want to play D. Ok, let's assume that's true.

Now you are implying this is not a good group of players. Let's assume you are right.

So that's 3 sets of players that all werent/aren't right for UConn to win consistently. At some point after repeated sets of failed players, do you begin to see a trend and realize that the coaching staff simply is not recruiting adequately?

I believe the issues are more widespread that that, but if the players are constantly "not good enough" isn't that on the coaching staff who brought them in?

I would argue that lack of an inclusive, effective offense is far more of a factor than inadequate recruiting. I would agree, however, that we have not landed enough shooters and strong, sound big men. Those don't really seem to be the typical KO recruit. He seems to connect with athletic, raw types with limited offensive skills like Whaley who I happen to like alot.

Reaction Score
Who from Calhoun’s teams did Ollie ring in as a recruiter? Deandre?Jeremy?boat?

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
There just isn't much talent on this team. Yes, some guys should develop nicely but they aren't there yet.

Reaction Score
Okay, I know I will be attacked for this but here goes. First of all Kevin Ollie is a very good coach. You don't win a National Championship just because you inherited a good team. No question that there was a lot of talent on his NC team but they were also underdogs against everyone of their opponents in their title run except St. Josephs (to whom they almost lost). Why were they underdogs? The other teams had more talent and more McDonald' all Americans. I think Kentucky had 7.

He is also responsible for the dearth of talent on the current roster but he has made a change in his assistants and may be recruiting better players now. At least I am hearing about some positive additions to the roster next year. I do think that playing in the AAC as opposed the the Big East has had a negative effect on recruiting. It can be overcome but it will take time. Look at what Cincinnati is doing. Kevin Ollie has a lot of professional experience and great NBA connections. He also is a nice person. I think that should bode well in the recruiting arena.

To the argument that he does not develop his players. I say nonsense. I have seen a lot of improvement from the beginning of the season to now. Carlton, Whaley and Vital are much improved. Adams is playing better and if he stays, could be the second coming of Shabazz next year if his three-point shot comes around.

To those of you, who are very critical of Ollie, how many of you have coached a team to a championship or even coached at the college level. If you have played the game, how many of you have led your team to a championship or played at the college level?

I suspect that many of you are just like me. I never coached or played but I love the game and have loved Uconn basketball since my junior year of college. I won't say when that was, but Toby Kimball was a sophomore then. I have seen some really good coaches and some that were not so good. Kevin Ollie is one of our best and I hope he stays for a long time.

Reaction Score
Okay, I know I will be attacked for this but here goes. First of all Kevin Ollie is a very good coach. You don't win a National Championship just because you inherited a good team. No question that there was a lot of talent on his NC team but they were also underdogs against everyone of their opponents in their title run except St. Josephs (to whom they almost lost). Why were they underdogs? The other teams had more talent and more McDonald' all Americans. I think Kentucky had 7.

He is also responsible for the dearth of talent on the current roster but he has made a change in his assistants and may be recruiting better players now. At least I am hearing about some positive additions to the roster next year. I do think that playing in the AAC as opposed the the Big East has had a negative effect on recruiting. It can be overcome but it will take time. Look at what Cincinnati is doing. Kevin Ollie has a lot of professional experience and great NBA connections. He also is a nice person. I think that should bode well in the recruiting arena.

To the argument that he does not develop his players. I say nonsense. I have seen a lot of improvement from the beginning of the season to now. Carlton, Whaley and Vital are much improved. Adams is playing better and if he stays, could be the second coming of Shabazz next year if his three-point shot comes around.

To those of you, who are very critical of Ollie, how many of you have coached a team to a championship or even coached at the college level. If you have played the game, how many of you have led your team to a championship or played at the college level?

I suspect that many of you are just like me. I never coached or played but I love the game and have loved Uconn basketball since my junior year of college. I won't say when that was, but Toby Kimball was a sophomore then. I have seen some really good coaches and some that were not so good. Kevin Ollie is one of our best and I hope he stays for a long time.

1. If no one except championship winning coaches/players were allowed to criticize a coach this would be a very lonely boneyard

2. the highest ranked recruit coming in next year is ranked one spot below a kid committed to princeton in the espn recruiting rankings

3. "it will take time" - KO has been here for years now, multiple recruiting classes of his own, missed the tournament three out of four years

4. Player development: Carlton has improved. Vital has not. Whaley has because his baseline was very, very low. Adams is regressing as the season nears its conclusion again, but he's probably exhausted from having to carry the team.

5. KO is, by all accounts, a very nice person, and whatever happens he deserves our gratitude for winning us a championship with some excellent coaching in 2014. However, he's since then failed to recruit at a high level, his staff seems clueless, players seem to be chafing at his leadership, transfers have gone up, and the overall product on the court has been abysmal. It's possible to both appreciate what he did coming in after a legend and to want to see someone else take over the reins before .500 seasons become the norm

Last edited:

QDOG5

I dont have a drug problem I have a police problem
Reaction Score
I don't think he's a bad coach I just think he's lost in an old system and he doesn't know what else to do. It's sad that this is all happening at once.
You just called him a bad coach right after you said you don't think he's a bad coach. You don't supervise employees with the Hawaii emergency alert system, do you?

Reaction Score
You just called him a bad coach right after you said you don't think he's a bad coach. You don't supervise employees with the Hawaii emergency alert system, do you?

What I meant was I think he has a crucial spot on a coaching staff. Just not as a HC

Reaction Score

If you enjoy watching UConn get beat like a red headed stepchild, that's your perogative. Not sure how you could have watched the last 4 seasons and made your post. You claim that Kevin Ollie is a very good coach. What is it exactly that he does well?

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYCVET

Top Bottom