I'm starting to think it isn't Ollie. | Page 7 | The Boneyard

I'm starting to think it isn't Ollie.

Reaction Score
I disagree about Anderson. He can definitely drive and dish or drive and take a pull up shot. The problem with him is he thinks he is Jalen and can battle amongst the trees and make circus layups which he can’t. He needs to dribble and dish and only take uncontested layups. Vital and larrier I agree have a tough time dribble penetrating because of below average handles.

I think we agree, we're just wording it differently. Anderson can get into the teeth of the defense when the time is right - when it's a rotating defense and there's a seam to attack. What he can't do is catch the ball on the wing, square up and take a set defender off the dribble. He tries to, which leads to turnovers and him forcing up shots amongst the trees like you said.

Reaction Score
Anderson should be getting Donell Beverly or Rob Garrison type minutes in a perfect or just even normal world but here we are.

UConn_Top_Dog

"Your school wins games... WE WIN CHAMPIONSHIPS!"
Reaction Score
UConn is bad at every aspect of the game.

To think that’s somehow not the responsibility of the head coach....I don’t know what to tell you.

The thing is people are quick to blame KO for everything. This is not the doing of one man. The staff and the athletic department also have a hand in this mess. It would not be fair to place the blame only on KO. Let the man fix the mess he had a part in. I'm sure he will. This mess can't last forever.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
The 2014 championship was part of the “Calhoun Era?”

Sorry Rob, that’s not true. And it wasn’t won with “Calhoun’s players” either.

Reaction Score
Isn’t the answer to 2014 somewhere in the middle? Even the anti KO crowd (which includes me) acknowledge that KO did a masterful job in the tournament that year. Was there a bit of luck? Sure, but there usually is in any Championship run.

But the KO defenders or anti JC folks (as screwed up as they are) need to acknowledge that ‘14 wasn’t purely KO’s team either. Just for kicks and giggles, let’s define “Calhoun players” as (at least) those he recruited. Since so much of the conversation around here is that Ollie can’t recruit, wouldn’t you at least concede that the 2014 team had the majority of its players as JC recruits? For those who pin the blame on recruiting the right talent, Ollie was the beneficiary (despite not having Andre or Roscoe Smith). For those who think he can’t develop players, does it not make some sense that JC’s more general involvement with the program in those days as well as ‘14 being much more of an extension of the Calhoun culture (practices, players who played under him, and coaching staff) had a role?

It’s mind boggling that, TODAY, in spite of a great deal of evidence to the contrary over the last 4 years, there are idiots who want to defend ‘14 from any suggestion that JC played a part. Wow.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
It’s mind boggling that, TODAY, in spite of a great deal of evidence to the contrary over the last 4 years, that there are idiots who want to defend ‘14 from any suggestion that JC played a part. Wow.

That wouldn’t exist if there wasn’t a much larger crowd defending ‘14 from any suggestion that Ollie played a part.

We’ve been told that Calhoun developed the players just by sitting a few rows deep in practice. It’s absolute lunacy.

#1 PA Husky Fan

Diehard Fan of All UConn Sports Teams!
Reaction Score
The thing is people are quick to blame KO for everything. This is not the doing of one man. The staff and the athletic department also have a hand in this mess. It would not be fair to place the blame only on KO. Let the man fix the mess he had a part in. I'm sure he will. This mess can't last forever.
You’re kidding, right. He is the head coach and absolutely 100% accountable. The ironic thing is that KO, the head coach, has failed to recruit players like KO, the player; self-motivated, team-oriented, strong work ethic, leadership qualities. Calhoun’s teams were loaded with character guys.
Another thing that I question is KO, the head coach, coachable? Calhoun and former players are either low profile or have been shut out. Intentional or not, who knows? This is a time that he needs their support but crickets.

Reaction Score
I think we agree, we're just wording it differently. Anderson can get into the teeth of the defense when the time is right - when it's a rotating defense and there's a seam to attack. What he can't do is catch the ball on the wing, square up and take a set defender off the dribble. He tries to, which leads to turnovers and him forcing up shots amongst the trees like you said.
I’ve seen him get past the first defender plenty of times but like we said he has no idea how to finish inside like Jalen does. I wish once he gets inside and the defense collapses he would pass it to the open man. Unfortunately it isn’t in the DNA of anybody on this team even Jalen.

Reaction Score
People are always trying to take the 2014 championship away from Ollie. It's just weird.
It isn't weird at all because it isn't true at all. People are simply saying that KO isn't 100% responsible for that championship. Key players were picked by Calhoun. Picking the RIGHT kids is CRITICAL. And any player that played even one year under Calhoun became disciplined, Calhoun style. Ollie orchestrated the run. He gets full credit for that. Ollie was also at least partially responsible for the development of those kids. What people wonder is whether or not Ollie can pick the right kids, whether or not he knows how to discipline them and whether or not he is even the same guy he was in 2014. I am not so sure 2018 Ollie could do what 2014 Ollie did. Obviously he is the same person, deep down. But has baggage buried his abilities? Could he replicate the stuff that even the Ollie detractors give him credit for?

Reaction Score
That wouldn’t exist if there wasn’t a much larger crowd defending ‘14 from any suggestion that Ollie played a part.

We’ve been told that Calhoun developed the players just by sitting a few rows deep in practice. It’s absolute lunacy.
Ah the old two wrongs make a right argument...

I honestly don’t see many (if any) asserting that Ollie had zero to do with it. I see plenty of people questioning whether KO can do it without Calhoun (as the last few years seems to suggest has happened).

But you are the one taking a equally ridiculous “one or the other” approach in favor of Ollie. Maybe a little less time claiming that everyone else’s approach is wrong and a little more self-reflection that your approach is exactly what you are claiming others are doing (when, really they aren’t)

People are just trying to figure out how the Christ we got “here.” Taking a “JC had nothing to do with 14” is a really strange (and imho flawed) sword to fall upon.

Reaction Score
You’re kidding, right. He is the head coach and absolutely 100% accountable. The ironic thing is that KO, the head coach, has failed to recruit players like KO, the player; self-motivated, team-oriented, strong work ethic, leadership qualities. Calhoun’s teams were loaded with character guys.
Another thing that I question is KO, the head coach, coachable? Calhoun and former players are either low profile or have been shut out. Intentional or not, who knows? This is a time that he needs their support but crickets.
Maybe recruiting is why Miller is gone. He had a hand in the kids that left and the one that decommitted. It will be interesting to see what comes of the investigation. Everyone is so quick to say it is Ollie and there is the 'cause' for firing. He lost big time recruits and I'm guessing it's because he wouldn't play the game. We have spmefecent young players who have developed already despite what some would think. Larrier didn't play a game for almost 2 years and didn't practice at all last year. Strength and conditioning - hard to do too much of that while rehabbing a knee. Gilbert - just snake bit. He'll go 2 years without playing. How patient will most of you be when he returns? I'm guessing not very. Ollie deserves another year. You all complain about last year being a losing season. Not many coaches would have one with the injuries we had. That season shouldn't even enter into the equation. Jackson - good riddance - his dad started complaining in December because his son wasn't the 'man'. Enoch couldn't guard a doorknob. The one I wished had stayed was Durham. He should have been and to redshift last year to regain his strength bit due to injuries we weren't given that luxury. MAL a healthy Gilbert and we wouldn't miss him. Notthst impressed with his stats anyway.

Reaction Score
I'm new to the Boneyard but I've noticed no one pointing out the real issue here. A team won't and can't be great if it's not a team. I guess Jalen is God to the people here because no one is pointing out the fact that he's one of the biggest ball hogs ever. Ollie is definitely at fault for creating and approving a player to be so selfish. That whole no "I" in team is real. Every man for themselves is what I see besides the few who actually look for others on the court. Bashing players that just came in to a program that was already setup for one person to shine is asinine. I'm interested in how many people on this board actually play or played basketball. How many people have a real understanding of the game and how it's played. Larrier, Vital and mostly Adams is here to see how many points they can put up each game. Now points are very vitally important but not including or thinking about the team will get you no where....this team needs a reality check and Ollie needs to man up and tell his ball hogs to either share the ball or sit. It's hard for players to make shots when no one looks to pass.

Reaction Score
Weird time for the OP to say it isn’t KO after the Cincy game. I mean didn’t he see john thomson 3 pointing out the lack of crisp passing and the ball stalling with one player where they had to go one and one. Did he not notice how KO was stuck in the zone defense for too long where Cincy was hitting outside shots or getting the ball inside very easily or where it led to us them getting a lot of offensive rebounds against us. Sorry OP a lot of this on KO and the biggest component is that this is his roster he built.

Purple Stein

I like to sim things.
Reaction Score
We have spmefecent young players ...

spmefecent.png

You are the first person on the recorded Internet to have used "Spmefecent!" This should go on your tombstone:

"Kathy. She was ... Spmefecent."

#1 PA Husky Fan

Diehard Fan of All UConn Sports Teams!
Reaction Score
I'm new to the Boneyard but I've noticed no one pointing out the real issue here. A team won't and can't be great if it's not a team. I guess Jalen is God to the people here because no one is pointing out the fact that he's one of the biggest ball hogs ever. Ollie is definitely at fault for creating and approving a player to be so selfish. That whole no "I" in team is real. Every man for themselves is what I see besides the few who actually look for others on the court. Bashing players that just came in to a program that was already setup for one person to shine is asinine. I'm interested in how many people on this board actually play or played basketball. How many people have a real understanding of the game and how it's played. Larrier, Vital and mostly Adams is here to see how many points they can put up each game. Now points are very vitally important but not including or thinking about the team will get you no where....this team needs a reality check and Ollie needs to man up and tell his ball hogs to either share the ball or sit. It's hard for players to make shots when no one looks to pass.
Welcome James Naismith, and thanks for your insight, or stating the obvious. Style of play is dictated by the coach.

Reaction Score

He will NEVER fix this mess. The team is so bad in so many ways. Watch the ball movement and offensive sets of ANY good team and you will see a huge difference. That doesn't even involve roster construction, use of time outs, player development, etc. which are all clearly lacking.

Reaction Score
I guess Jalen is God to the people here because no one is pointing out the fact that he's one of the biggest ball hogs ever. Ollie is definitely at fault for creating and approving a player to be so selfish.

Jalen is by no means a perfect player but please find me another player in college basketball asked to do as much as he does for 40 minutes every night. Or, better yet, take him off the court and watch the first shut-out in the modern era.

Reaction Score
If I were as dumb as you seem to be I'd ease up on coming after people. You said they weren't highly recruited. You were shown to be wrong. Just accept it and enjoy your afternoon.
What I said was not wrong. I never said they were not highly recruited, I said RELATIVELY SPEAKING they (Williams and Nurse) were not as highly RANKED as the ones among the top 5 ranked players Geno gets every year, and Williams was injured during her recruitment yet Geno saw something in her that made him want her anyway. Listen you can spin things however you want, quote some one out of context or twist things around a bit to make things seem wrong, and just what "people" am I coming after. You a-.....holes (meaning men's team fans) are the ones going after people. This is a brutal fan board. GF yourself!!!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Jalen is by no means a perfect player but please find me another player in college basketball asked to do as much as he does for 40 minutes every night. Or, better yet, take him off the court and watch the first shut-out in the modern era.
He's only asked to do so much because the coach isn't looking to make others be effective in the game...and honestly he isn't trying to give others a chance to help him out. One thing about basketball...if you aren't shooting often in a game....it will show when you decide or finally get the opportunity to shoot. Jalen is not a team player...bottom line. Take him off the court and I guarantee others will produce. Can't say what the rest can't do when they haven't been given the chance to prove themselves.

Reaction Score
He's only asked to do so much because the coach isn't looking to make others be effective in the game...and honestly he isn't trying to give others a chance to help him out. One thing about basketball...if you aren't shooting often in a game....it will show when you decide or finally get the opportunity to shoot. Jalen is not a team player...bottom line. Take him off the court and I guarantee others will produce. Can't say what the rest can't do when they haven't been given the chance to prove themselves.

Yeah bench the best player. Great idea.

Reaction Score
Yes you are. My points were Geno does not recruit all the top players, sure he goes after many in the top ten but that doesn't get them a starting spot on the team. He's very selective on the type of player he recruits according to his coaching philosophy, and he has recruited that way for 30 years. Lower ranked players that he recruits have the same shot. When you consider that UConn has gotten the top player in the country almost every year, Nurse was not highly ranked, I think top 40. Gabby Williams was ranked 14 but was coming into college recruiting she had two knee injuries, so many programs backed away but Geno gave her a shot. My other point, ask yourself if Williams and Nurse have blossomed under Geno's tutelage? So answer my question, yes or no? Are they better players now? Damn right they are. Compare Williams success at Uconn despite two knee injuries, to how Juwan Durham did playing for Ollie? It's night and day. Coaching is everything, remember that.
I really don’t know how to respond to this without getting into it with a fellow fan and supporter. I am very confident the floor can handle this one.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYCVET

Top Bottom