I'm starting to think it isn't Ollie. | Page 4 | The Boneyard

I'm starting to think it isn't Ollie.

Reaction Score
Of course the parents play a huge role.

But to ignore the motivating factor that Calhoun adds, well, no, I disagree.

Why is it "nonsense"?

Travelman you are a good poster and your overall point regarding Ollie is fully supported by the overwhelming majority of us on the yard.

However, your point on teachers and coaches is way off. Calhoun wasn't positive or a Pollyanna like Ollie or Diaco. What he was, was a damn good coach, motivator, recruiter, and realist.

High major D-1 coaches should be held to higher accountability standards because they get paid millions and are allowed to recruit and select the best of the best. Teachers for the most part have to service everyone without taking account ability, talents, behavior, motivation etc.

PS: Saying every student can succeed is like saying everyone can become a millionaire. They are just sayings made to make people feel better about themselves and life in general. A lie told often enough becomes truth.

Reaction Score
So it's just a coincidence that Geno's teams are the best-passing, best-shooting, hardest-working year in and year out, with different players? Nothing to do with his coaching?
Uhhh. Mmmmmm. all 5 star recruits that stay 4 years pretty ridiculous statement. Sort

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
You're saying team sports don't start with passing? If that is your take-away your result is the 2017-18 UCONN MBB team.

No, that player performance has nothing to do with any other factors besides their coach.

Reaction Score
Does it have anything to do with the players, or is it 100% Geno’s coaching?

Before the great players come to a program, you have to prove to them your coaching ability with lesser recruits. Geno did that.

He coached up lesser players and ratcheted up his recruiting by doing so.

Did KO do that? No. Can he do that? Don’t know. I’d reserve final judgement until after next year, but he likely won’t be here. But from what I’ve seen so far, I’d have to say that he doesn’t coach up players and make them better.

Stainmaster

Reaction Score
Before the great players come to a program, you have to prove to them your coaching ability with lesser recruits. Geno did that.

He coached up lesser players and ratcheted up his recruiting by doing so.

Did KO do that? No. Can he do that? Don’t know. I’d reserve final judgement until after next year, but he likely won’t be here. But from what I’ve seen so far, I’d have to say that he doesn’t coach up players and make them better.

The point I'm getting at is...are these players nothing more than giant lumps of clay, or are there factors within their control (and not the coach's) that determine the trajectory of our development?

Stainmaster

Reaction Score
Other programs get top recruits too. Geno's hasn't lost a regulation game in almost 5 years.

Wouldn't it be nice if the men got to that level one day?

Reaction Score
The point I'm getting at is...are these players nothing more than giant lumps of clay, or are there factors within their control (and not the coach's) that determine the trajectory of our development?
Using your analogy, then there would be nation-wide consensus that Duke or Kentucky are the top teams in the country, Yes? I mean they have 90% of the top 20 players in the country year-over-year (or whatever that ridiculous % is).

Obviously there is more at play here. Without the proper coaching and development there exists the probability that those 5* lumps of clay can turn into 2* lumps of ...

Reaction Score
Wouldn't it be nice if the men got to that level one day?

Pretty weak attempt to bait me into saying something that you'll later spin as asserting that I expect not just JC-level, but Geno-level of success.

Of course that level of success isn't realistic in the men's game. But it's pretty good evidence that coaching matters, and that a team's shooting, passing, and defense is not solely a reflection of the players' innate talents.

Reaction Score
Parents, for sure. But I find it hard to believe a 10 year old or even a 17 or 18 year old can be blamed for "failure". That is up to the parents and also the teacher. Every student can succeed (which is also the title of a good book, I learned a lot) and requires parents that are there in the kids life as well as open, patient, innovative teachers who can do amazing work even if parents are not there.

Stop.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
I have some problems with Ollie but let's leave that for now.

Red Auerbach would have problems winning with this bunch.

They can't shoot.
They can't rebound.
They have mediocre handles.
They can't draw fouls.

Except for that we should be undefeated.
They are students and they have not had a very good teacher.

Reaction Score
Other programs get top recruits too. Geno's hasn't lost a regulation game in almost 5 years.
The only teams you can compare to Genos are Kentucky and bama football. 2 great coaches 1 okay one. The difference is geno doesn’t have to over recruit or worry about players leaving to get paid. Grades aren’t even an issue cuz the ladies need real jobs sadly, unlike the men. Anyway not s good comparison and not a fair one. Geno gets the National player of the year every year, the top guard and two more all Americans to sit the bench.

Reaction Score
Give Coach K our roster and give Duke's roster to Ollie. Discuss.

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
Give Coach K our roster and give Duke's roster to Ollie. Discuss.
Both teams would make the NCAA tournament. For Coach K., that'd be an accomplishment, can't say the same for KO. Also, if KO coached the Duke players, they'd suck the following season because the core players and recruits would transfer to play for Coach K....

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
they can't shoot, they can't shoot, they can't shoot

but they can certainly shoot better than they're shooting, they're pressing IMO

a few made shoots would heal a lot of wounds, they have to make some shots

in some cases, they have to take some shots, they're afraid to miss

look at Charlton today, they started both halves setting him up for a bunny, and he clanged them. Those shots will start falling, if not this year then next

Reaction Score
Sometimes I think the same thing, then I remember who brought this group of players in.
More importantly than that IMO is who leads them in practice every day....KO and his puppet show. Give me our coaches from the late 90's and early 2000's and these kids would be a much much more cohesive and better schooled team than they are now.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
they can't shoot, they can't shoot, they can't shoot

but they can certainly shoot better than they're shooting, they're pressing IMO

a few made shoots would heal a lot of wounds, they have to make some shots

in some cases, they have to take some shots, they're afraid to miss

look at Charlton today, they started both halves setting him up for a bunny, and he clanged them. Those shots will start falling, if not this year then next
Good points

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
Good points

Gee thank you, every-time I see I've been quoted, I expect to find someone telling me how stupid I am again :confused:

I'm telling you, It's a rough crowd

#1 PA Husky Fan

Diehard Fan of All UConn Sports Teams!
Reaction Score
With our roster Coach K would be sidelined with an illness.
I guarantee with Coach K we would have had more than 5 assists today. That’s hard to believe, and this is a huge reason for our ineptness on O.

Reaction Score
Both teams would make the NCAA tournament. For Coach K., that'd be an accomplishment, can't say the same for KO. Also, if KO coached the Duke players, they'd suck the following season because the core players and recruits would transfer to play for Coach K....
No they’d go to the league. Seriously. And we would have capel locking up the number one or Two class again.

Reaction Score
We UCONN. We have to share the basketball more. etc. Early in the year JC was quoted saying that we needed to figure out what we did well and go with that. It still has not happened. Ollie letting Larrier try and be Marques Haynes. Not pulling guys who screw up and then let them hear it on the sideline. Getting some bench time then putting them back in. Letting our defensive energy be less than all out. One pass into the post (Carlton) today. Running an offense that has one option after wasting most of the shot clock. Not getting players to improve their 3 point shooting ability. We still struggle to run a fast break as teammates don't run full speed to get into lanes. We have way too many bad habits and KO is in charge of correcting them.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
so1

Top Bottom