I'm starting to think it isn't Ollie. | Page 2 | The Boneyard

I'm starting to think it isn't Ollie.

Reaction Score
All you’re saying in this post is that KO didn’t do a great job recruiting good college players in that class too. Enough with this bogus excuses. The talent isn’t great on this team and there’s only one person ultimately responsible for that.
Well a few at least. Hence the newer recruiters.

Reaction Score
Sorry, if a student fails in the classroom it is not on the student, it is on the teacher to form a positive learning environment and change strategy if needed to suit each student. A coach is also a teacher, it is on the coach to remain positive, change strategy if needed and teach about the game.

Reaction Score
Hey if Ollie’s gone after this season so be it but I really hope the next coach light it up in a big way

Reaction Score
I believe everyone thought he recruited a good class so stop it N yes the talent isn’t here but ppl tend to blame coaches when a kid doesn’t want to be here , obviously KO was fighting hard to retain them but the family trumped him..
Were you behind the scenes? How do you know this is the truth? Maybe the kids were very concerned about their potential to develop under this staff and or how long KO would even be around.

Reaction Score
Sorry, if a student fails in the classroom it is not on the student, it is on the teacher to form a positive learning environment and change strategy if needed to suit each student. A coach is also a teacher, it is on the coach to remain positive, change strategy if needed and teach about the game.

Although I agree with your overall sentiment regarding Ollie. There is a BIG difference between a teacher and a head coach at UCONN.

Teachers don't make 3 million dollars and don't get to select their students like Ollie and D1 college coaches do. Also, students can fail because they are not smart enough or lazy or just not fit for learning, or they go to schools that are circuses.

Lastly, players are motivated to play basketball and do their best because they have a passion for it and are talented enough to maybe earn money doing it in their life. Many students are not.

PS: I see this argument being used a lot but its not really true.

Reaction Score
I have some problems with Ollie but let's leave that for now.

Red Auerbach would have problems winning with this bunch.

They can't shoot.
They can't rebound.
They have mediocre handles.
They can't draw fouls.

Except for that we should be undefeated.
Your starting to understand however college basketball isn’t like MLB or even the NBA . A significant part of being head coach in college is his responsibilities for what I’ll describe as the GM roll in Pro sports.
That’s were Ollie has missed big time and that’s what will doom him. This year was on rocky ground when the three kids bailed at least two or maybe all three starters. He recruited those kids and he interacted with them or should have daily.
He will be a heck of an NBA Coach as long as he has a good GM.

Reaction Score
Although I agree with your overall sentiment regarding Ollie. There is a BIG difference between a teacher and a head coach at UCONN.

Teachers don't make 3 million dollars and don't get to select their students like Ollie and D1 college coaches do. Also, students can fail because they are not smart enough or lazy or just not fit for learning, or they go to schools that are circuses.

Lastly, players are motivated to play basketball and do their best because they have a passion for it and are talented enough to maybe earn money doing it in their life. Many students are not.

PS: I see this argument being used a lot but its not really true.
I see your point and maybe it is just because I have been around amazing teachers, but I do not believe in the concept of "lazy" student or "not fit for learning" because I have seen some amazing turnarounds because of flexible, innovative teachers.

Any way, not to get off topic too much, but true about Ollie.

Reaction Score
The fact that people seem shocked and appalled in every single game thread continues to amaze me. The talent level on this team is abysmal. There is no coach on earth who's taking this bunch to the tournament. (Which is not to say there aren't plenty of coaches who could at least get these guys to play hard consistently.)

That being said, it's Ollie's team. He put it together. He alienated the guys that left. He hasn't developed the guys that stayed. It's his mess and he owns it.

This ^^^^^ although not all in on not developing guys. I mean yeah it's on him, but some guys just can't develop or learn the game. So going back to the beginning of your post, they are his kids his team. Start recruiting smarter and more talented kids, well may be too late. And yeah how do they lose intensity so often, that's crazy. The #8 team in the country is in your house and you come out like "schmucks".....thanks DanO.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Some of you guys should try recruiting players to the only northern school in a southern mid major league.

We have gotten our last McD AA as long as we are in this league. A good recruiting class going forward will have 1 or 2 Top 100 players. We need to get used to this if we are going to stay in the AAC.

Reaction Score
Some of you guys should try recruiting players to the only northern school in a southern mid major league.

We have gotten our last McD AA as long as we are in this league. A good recruiting class going forward will have 1 or 2 Top 100 players. We need to get used to this if we are going to stay in the AAC.
Bingo

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
UConn is bad at every aspect of the game.

To think that’s somehow not the responsibility of the head coach....I don’t know what to tell you.
It's his ex-wife's fault.

Reaction Score
This ^^^^^ although not all in on not developing guys. I mean yeah it's on him, but some guys just can't develop or learn the game. So going back to the beginning of your post, they are his kids his team. Start recruiting smarter and more talented kids, well may be too late. And yeah how do they lose intensity so often, that's crazy. The #8 team in the country is in your house and you come out like "schmucks".....thanks DanO.

and KO got to sit after the game started for a cumulative good 20 minutes today before you and I got to sit! That was it for me!!!!!!!!!!!!

#1 PA Husky Fan

Diehard Fan of All UConn Sports Teams!
Reaction Score
Alienated guys like who Jackson , Enoch , Durham cmon lol
Again we saw how they played Jackson was the closest to being counted on .. Durham wasn’t ready n still thought he could play n Enoch well
I would suggest that is Ollie and his staff’s fault. I see zero player development/improvement. Makes me wonder what the heck they actually do during practice.

Reaction Score

Teachers don't recruit their students7

Reaction Score

Wow, you really believe that. So the fact that some inner cities have few students who can read and do math at grade level is all on the teachers? Nothing on parents and students?
Ollie gets plenty of blame for roster make up; hustle, defense, passing, shooting is on individual players. Calhoun didn't make Kemba a better shooter, Kemba did. Calhoun didn't make Hilton a NBA player, Hilton did. Calhoun didn't keep Taliek from becoming a better shooter, Taliek did.

Reaction Score
Basketball and Ollie aside, this is nonsense and what's wrong with the world.

Reaction Score
Nothing on parents and students?
Of course the parents play a huge role.

But to ignore the motivating factor that Calhoun adds, well, no, I disagree.

Basketball and Ollie aside, this is nonsense and what's wrong with the world.
Why is it "nonsense"?

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
The fact that people seem shocked and appalled in every single game thread continues to amaze me. The talent level on this team is abysmal. There is no coach on earth who's taking this bunch to the tournament. (Which is not to say there aren't plenty of coaches who could at least get these guys to play hard consistently.)

That being said, it's Ollie's team. He put it together. He alienated the guys that left. He hasn't developed the guys that stayed. It's his mess and he owns it.
Well said.

Reaction Score
Ollie underestimated and misjudged the difficulty to have Top 30 players commit and come play at UCONN in the American Conference. I am certain he would have had his fair share of Top 30 recruits commit to UCONN had we still been in the old Big East. Ollie recruited as if he was still in the Big East and this is still UCONN. He was in many players Top 3-5 but was never able to to secure commits. These players and families discuss quality of teams and players in our conference. His A, B and C were all Top 50 players. He went so hard after the top players and struck out each time. He used grad transfers to fill out his roster after striking out each year. He has since change his strategy in recruiting but is it too late.

Reaction Score
Ollie gets plenty of blame for roster make up; hustle, defense, passing, shooting is on individual players.

So it's just a coincidence that Geno's teams are the best-passing, best-shooting, hardest-working year in and year out, with different players? Nothing to do with his coaching?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
so1

Top Bottom