I'm not one for dragging up Edsall stuff but... | Page 4 | The Boneyard

I'm not one for dragging up Edsall stuff but...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I'll ignore the BB stuff since Edsall didn't get hired into a program with Drew Bledsoe and didn't luck into drafting Tom Brady in the 6th round.

Yes, teacher we know who Tom Coughlin is. Yes, we know Randy Edsall worked for him.

Did you know that Randy Edsall went to Syracuse and didn't play?

Randy Edsall might have a million faults. Not wanting to turn the ball over is hardly a black mark on his record.

I just don't get why you think Edsall wouldn't have let a decent quarterback throw the ball. He let Orlovsky throw it all over the building and he let Lorenzen throw it until he got hurt and couldn't throw it anymore. The entire world wanted Frazer on a pike in 2010 - somehow he was stupid to not let him throw interceptions? He certainly let Endres throw it at times.

Edsall thought Hernandez was going to be a star. He probably thought he was set with Frazer and Endres. I don't see how his lack of ability to judge talent = he doesn't want to throw the ball. They are separate issues.

That's what makes it so bizarre about Edsall. The guy was a QB himself. Strange guy.

I jsut wrote oemthing else. It wasn't a lack of ability. It was understanding his football team. I'll point to the michigan game in 2010.

We had 9 offensive possessions in the entire game. really, only 8 that counted, because the last one was garbage time.

THat was the biggest game of Edsall's tenure. He had years leading up to that game.

His program, the same team that went to the BCS bowl, in it's biggest game ever, went out and put up 8 meaningful offensive possessions in 60 minutes.

Are you really going to try to make an effort to support that once we became a Big East member, that offensive football was a priority for Edsall in building a winner?

The QB position in Edsall's offense, continually regressed in importance once we joined the big east. It's no wonder that our best recruit in recent years, while Edsall was coach, out of Virginia, was recruited by a guy that was with the program for 2 years, and is now a head coach elsewhere, and when he took that job at Fordham, re-iterated, almost verbatim, the kind of football philosophy that our current head coach has brought to UConn, rather than what our former head coach had established at UConn, and has now brought to Maryland, where the ACC player of the year at QB, is now looking for another program.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
Yeah, he enabled MD to win.

He enabled bad behavior, but you wouldn't know that because of your hatred for FHCRE. Unlike you and others you can't see past their hatred for Edsall I see him doing what he thinks is right. If that pisses people off so be it. If he wins then none of this matters. Still wonder why so many get their panties in a bind over what FHCRE does at Maryland. Makes no sense at all.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
So if I think Randy Edsall plateaued in 2004 and was never going to take us any further than that i'm crapping on the football players? Sorry I disagree.

If I think Dom Perno was a mediocre coach i'm crapping on Tim Coles?

You have no idea. He did not plateau then when UConn went on to win two conference titles.

Reaction Score
He enabled bad behavior, but you wouldn't know that because of your hatred for FHCRE. Unlike you and others you can't see past their hatred for Edsall I see him doing what he thinks is right. If that pisses people off so be it. If he wins then none of this matters. Still wonder why so many get their panties in a bind over what FHCRE does at Maryland. Makes no sense at all.
What is this bad behavior? Were players getting arrested? Failing drug tests? I think the state of the UMD program when Edsall took over has taken an urban legend feel to it. Some here really are trying to paint it as some renegade program that couldn't stay out of the police blotter. Was their apr as bad as our bball team? I don't know these answers so please enlighten me

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
What is this bad behavior? Were players getting arrested? Failing drug tests? I think the state of the UMD program when Edsall took over has taken an urban legend feel to it. Some here really are trying to paint it as some renegade program that couldn't stay out of the police blotter. Was their apr as bad as our bball team? I don't know these answers so please enlighten me

How about this. He came in and cleaned house sorta like HCPP has done here at UConn. He has his standards of what he expects from the players and if they don't like it they can leave. Same goes for any program with a new coaching staff coming in. Not sure how you and others don't see that. Again the hatred for Edsall clouds your mind.
Here is some issues they had

Reaction Score

They lost 3 scholarships due to APR and lost practice time due to interns and grad students watching off season practice. This happened under Fridge's watch and RE had to deal with it.

Reaction Score
They lost 3 scholarships due to APR and lost practice time due to interns and grad students watching off season practice. This happened under Fridge's watch and RE had to deal with it.

Maybe when Edsall gets fired by Maryland he can be Calhoun's successor. His strong hand is needed.

Reaction Score
I'm not trying to be a pain in the ass. I'm asking if you think he put handcuffs on them because they weren't good or if he chose to recruit quarterbacks who needed handcuffs.

Handcuffs are not allowed in Randy Edsall's locker room. That is a no fun zone.

Reaction Score
Whaler,

There is no difference between choosing to have a bad QB and failing to have a decent one on the roster. One of his his biggest failings was not having a serviceable QB as DanOs successor.

I believe that he thought that Bones and/or DJ were going to get it done. And as a result we had a high school offense for at least two seasons.

Tyler came in and actually looked promising but Randy screwed him up too. QBs actually got worse under Edsall. The man is more dangerous to a QB's career than Lawrence Taylor.

Your position is that the coach decided to have below average play at quarterback by choice. It wasn't that he did a poor job of recruiting them or coaching them. It was that he made the decision to be poor at quarterback.

Can you confirm this is your belief? That the coach who let Orlovsky throw the ball all over the field... and then brought in a JUCO like Lorenzen and re-recruited Frazer from Notre Dame was making a choice to have below average quarterbacks.

It wasn't that post-injury Lorenzen couldn't pass, Frazer was inaccurate, Endres drug tested himself out of the program and Box proved not ready or good enough. He instead chose to give his team a disadvantage at quarterback.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Whaler,

There is no difference between choosing to have a bad QB and failing to have a decent one on the roster. One of his his biggest failings was not having a serviceable QB as DanOs successor.

I believe that he thought that Bones and/or DJ were going to get it done. And as a result we had a high school offense for at least two seasons.

Tyler came in and actually looked promising but Randy screwed him up too. QBs actually got worse under Edsall. The man is more dangerous to a QB's career than Lawrence Taylor.

The net result is the same, but this is a conversation about his intentions. There seem to be some that think his plan was to get bad QB play.

Reaction Score
You guys realize that the person on Edsall's staff most directly tied to QB developement...errr non-developement during the time you are talking about is Rob Ambrose who was qb coach/OC.

Reaction Score
And yet Ambrose's QB completed 67% of his passes last season.

I know for a fact that Moorhead was not running what he wanted to. That's not a theory. I have had conversations with people who know.

Handcuffed.

Reaction Score

I know for a fact that Moorhead was not running what he wanted to. That's not a theory. I have had conversations with people who know.

Handcuffed.

I also had conversations with a staff member now with Edsall at MD after the Meineke Car Care Bowl where he said the offensive game plan Ambrose came up with was weaker than the one's he had drawn up coaching hs ball in the FCIAC. He was SERIOUSLY dis-liked by staff members at UConn. Ambrose isn't very popular with Towson guys either...I work with a guy who played at Towson and he is referred to as "The D**k" by former players. It will be interesting to see how he does going forward at Towson. He did some number here on the relationship with CT HS coaches. Just ask Sean Marrinan of Xavier.
Doesn't matter now all 3 of them are no longer here...with Moorehead the one I wished had stayed.
Question I have is...what happened between Norries Wilson and Ambrose/Moorehead? Before Wilson left we threw the basll all over the field.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

Handcuffed.

Was it Shawn Courchesne? :)

Reaction Score
I don't care about Ambrose, but if anyone thinks he was running what he wanted to here, they're fooling themselves.

Norries Wilson was the only OC under Edsall with any authority.

I love this notion that Edsall didn't want to throw too much because of the NE weather.

Orlovsky was throwing the ball all over the place.

Reaction Score
I once asked Lorenzen at a party if was frustrating to have to run that conservative Ambrose offense. He smiled and said " it's not Ambrose".

Reaction Score
How about this. He came in and cleaned house sorta like HCPP has done here at UConn. He has his standards of what he expects from the players and if they don't like it they can leave. Same goes for any program with a new coaching staff coming in. Not sure how you and others don't see that. Again the hatred for Edsall clouds your mind.
Here is some issues they had
Good thing players never got in trouble while at UConn under Randy's watch. Maybe its your love of Randy that clouds your mind. On a team with 105 players you're going to get a few growing pains. Its just life. The assault of a bar owner is over the top, no room for that IMO, and its inexcusable.

I acknowledge Randy did well here. I just never bought into him being some sort of coaching messiah, and for someone who was a good to average coach, he came off as a huge , to media, fans, and players.

I was asking about UMD's problems cause I really didn't know. I didn't really know cause I really don't care. I do find the questioning of Fridge's tactics in how he ran the UMD program somewhat hypocritical given the state of our basketball program, loss of scholarships, possible postseason ban etc. I say that as I admit that I am huge fan of all Jim Calhoun had done for UConn. Guess I just don't see the need to throw rocks at Fridges house from our glass one.

epark88

Throat's all better now, thanks for asking...
Reaction Score
It was not, but man SC really hates Edsall, huh?

To be honest, it's kinda hard to figure what SC doesn't hate.

If it doesn't turn left, SC probably ain't diggin' it...

Reaction Score
Ok, that makes sense. I don't think he recruited bad players. Not at all. I still get heart sick about Cody Endres. I think that kid should be in the NFL right now. I can still see the first pass he threw in a game as clear as day in my mind right now. I think he wanted a QB that was smart enough to understand what he was asking of them, and make the safe, lowest risk choice with ball on the field. I think that a player like Cody Endres, that had all the physical tools, to make all the throws, and had the moxie to go out there and want to do it, made him really nervous, because if one of those risky throws got picked off, or if our field position got hurt by starting to throw more on traditional running downs, or pushing the envelope, it would expose the other areas of our football team that were weak.

We are going to be a different kind of team in the future. George Deleone is ancient. I wish I could share a story, right now,but I won't. But that guy, and a guy like Shane Day, that was able to keep up with and catch Mike Martz' eye?

Oh boy, that makes me excited about our offense.

I don't understand your belief about a fear of Endres. His Sophomore year, he only came out of the lineup when he got hurt. His Junior year, when he came of suspension it took Edsall less than a half to give him the job back. He then stayed in the lineup until the University -- not Edsall -- made him ineligible. What made Edsall nervous about Cody was he had an addiction -- not that he liked throwing the ball. When he was in the lineup, Edsall let him throw. it. You don't think Edsall didn't have the power to tell him to hand it off?

Reaction Score

Would you stop with the damn facts! It just makes us jerks for interfering with others' opinions.

Reaction Score
I also had conversations with a staff member now with Edsall at MD after the Meineke Car Care Bowl where he said the offensive game plan Ambrose came up with was weaker than the one's he had drawn up coaching hs ball in the FCIAC. He was SERIOUSLY dis-liked by staff members at UConn. Ambrose isn't very popular with Towson guys either...I work with a guy who played at Towson and he is referred to as "The D**k" by former players. It will be interesting to see how he does going forward at Towson. He did some number here on the relationship with CT HS coaches. Just ask Sean Marrinan of Xavier.
Doesn't matter now all 3 of them are no longer here...with Moorehead the one I wished had stayed.
Question I have is...what happened between Norries Wilson and Ambrose/Moorehead? Before Wilson left we threw the basll all over the field.

Ambrose was Wilson's successor at OC.

Reaction Score
Whaler,

Sure there is. It's the difference between being having failed to do a part of your job well versus being a duck*ing moron. If we could have a rational discussion on the parts of his job he wasn't/isn't good at instead of constantly ending up with the latter, these threads would end much more quickly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom