I'm not one for dragging up Edsall stuff but... | Page 2 | The Boneyard

I'm not one for dragging up Edsall stuff but...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Do you intentionally ignore the whole Top 25 thing, or are wins against ranked opponents "overrated"?

If Edsall actually was what you Apologists think he is, then he would have won a few more of those.

So do you think Edsall left UConn to go coach a real football school, like 68 said?

The record against the Top 25 is the most valid criticism of Edsall. Every "Apologista" has acknowledged that.

Reaction Score
So do you think Edsall left UConn to go coach a real football school, like 68 said?

The record against the Top 25 is the most valid criticism of Edsall. Every "Apologista" has acknowledged that.

No, I was responding to the section of 68's quote that you put in bold. Which is what I figured you were taking issue with specifically.

Reaction Score
Do you guys intentionally crap all over UConn, or is that just a by-product of your hatred for everything Edsall?

Jimmy, it's the basketball first and only mentality. In response to that comment from another about Edsall going to a 'real' football school. There are many, many folks who simply don't understand that UConn football, is a division 1-A/BCS program now, and not just a program - a successful program.

Mike Zimmer, after leaving Dallas Cowboys (and having scouted Alfred Fincher) and then moved on to DC for the Bengals, took a look at the block C on Cody Brown's helmet, and noticed the other blue helmets the the block C around the practice field at the senior bowl a few years ago, and commented..."It's not just a basketball school anymore huh?"

UConn doesn't have to be just a basketball school, or just a football school. It should be both.

Football makes more money than basketball, and has for a while now. UConn football, that has such a pitiful record against ranked opponents in the 1-A/BCS era, makes a lot more money annually than a multiple national championship basketball program.

The hurdle that needs to be overcome, is that you don't have to sacrifice any sort of passion or commitment to basketball, to admit that this is the case. The same problems that the big east as a conference has had when it comes to priorities in intercollegiate athletics, are the same problems that have existed at our own university for too long.

The very thought that UConn might not be a 'real' football school, is the entire reason that we are where we are as an athletic deaprtement, within a conference right now, and it goes back a long, long way.

It's clearly changed at both the conference level, and at our own university level, and I'm glowing.

It's just hard for a lot of people to realize it, and put it in proper perspective, becuase the fact is, we do not have any of this potential, and are still on par with our former Yankee Conference partners for so many years....if not for Big East basketball, and Jim Calhoun's basketball program.

But the future success we can have as a university athletic departement and large scale state university, is entirely dependant on the gridiron, not the hardwood. The hardwood is to thank, for the foundation, the very ability to have the potential we've got.

Reaction Score
Carl you seem to overlook that Maryland is just as much a basketball school as UConn, except without the recent success in either sport. i have a lot of relatives in Maryland, and i've never once heard any of them talk about UMD football. MD basketball on the other hand was a pretty big deal at one point.

Reaction Score
matt, I'm not talking about fan perception. I'm talking about the workings of a university athletic department, administration, and affiliation with other university athletic departments.

Maryland hasn't had any consistent success since the 1980s. They were a program to be reckoned with though, through the 70s and early 80s. Randy White. Holy crap was that guy a terror on the field. But that's not waht I'm talking about.

Maryland, as a university, has been part of the ACC all along as a founding member, having withdrawn from the Southern conference b/c of the southern conference's decision to ban post season competition for football. Right now, they've had a terrible run with administration and athletics, and to my knowledge have had to slash athletic programs in the athletic departmetn down to the bare minimum to be recognized as a division 1-A program.

But at no time, has Maryland ever been only a basketball school, the same way that UConn has.

Reaction Score
As for Randy. Holy mackerel is he a trainwreck in the media. A head coaching gig at the 1-A level is a lot more than x's and o's. It is what it is. I think it would be better off for everybody in Maryland, if Randy doesn't talk to the media anymore.

The guy clearly demonstrated that he could build a football program from scratch at the 1-A level and be competitive locally in the big east conference in the 2000s decade.

He was clearly a very good selection for the job that UConn needed to get done in 1998.

But it sure seems like he's taken the plan and philosophy, that he used to build a football program from scratch at the 1-A level to be competitive in the big east conference in 2000s decade (a lot different than the 1990s decade - and will be a lot different than the 2010s decade), and taken it verbatim down to Maryland to try to build a nationally relevant ACC football program in the 2010s decade.

Somebody should have told him, that doing that, isn't a great idea. The guy's greatest strenght, his inability to deviate from what he thinks is the right thing to do, is also his worst weakness.

Reaction Score
Somebody should have told him, that doing that, isn't a great idea. The guy's greatest strenght, his inability to deviate from what he thinks is the right thing to do, is also his worst weakness.

With all the crap thrown around on this topic, that strikes me as a great observation.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
Edsall is doing terribly there so far, no question, but this article is just a bunch of whiny nonsense. i can't believe some people get paid to pout in articles like this. this is the type of crap MarylandAl should be griping about on a message board, not a supposed journalist in a major newspaper

lol he just came out with his 2012 northeast football pre season rankings
1-MD
2-giants
3-rutgers
4-navy
5-townson
6-psu

Reaction Score
How about throwing a flag for piling on. Sure Edsall has his own unrelenting style and is stubborn to his principles and a lot of folks in MD aren't happy---yet---, but give the guy the opportunity to turn the program around from the train wreck it was (and yes it was a wreck--Friedgen was an enabler). At UConn, Edsall may not have had a stellar record against the top 25, but he ran a clean, disciplined program, got players to the NFL and The Huskies to several Bowls including a BCS, as well as two BE Co-Championships. Give the guy a frigging break already. I have the distinct feeling that a lot of the media haters down there will be feeling some payback very soon. And yes you can call me an apologista and mention trailers.

Reaction Score

Jeez!

a. Guess business law isn't the only one that has a stalker(s).
b. "Real football school" is a comment have made in a lot of posts, since you can't get it from the context on this one - its a put down on the media reaction to fhcRE taking the job at Maryland (and fhcRE and his crappy way of leaving) and all the media going "of course he took the job, a school with football history in a real conference"; a great step up from Uconn.
c. So putting fhcRE's 11 years of accomplishments in perspective as it relates to the important issue of "winning against top 25 opponents" (many of those years as an AQ school) is crapping on Uconn. Seems more like putting fhcRE's accomplishments in perspective. Take a shorter time frame. Since Uconn joined the BE, how many AQ schools have never beaten a top 25 team. There are almost 70 AQ schools, bet the number wouldn't require you to take your shoes off to count.
d. Just in case c. isn't clear enough for you, crapping (if it is so as you state, which I don't agree with) on fhcRE's record in not crapping on Uconn. No more than say'n the Obama's record of success is pretty weak is crapping on the USA. You see fhcRE was not Uconn football (maybe you and he thought so, not me), just an employee; just like Obama is not the USA, just an employee.

Reaction Score
d. Just in case c. isn't clear enough for you, crapping (if it is so as you state, which I don't agree with) on fhcRE's record in not crapping on Uconn. No more than say'n the Obama's record of success is pretty weak is crapping on the USA. You see fhcRE was not Uconn football (maybe you and he thought so, not me), just an employee; just like Obama is not the USA, just an employee.

Well said.

Reaction Score
Well said.

No, it's not. If Edsall wasn't successful over his ten years, UConn football wasn't successful over those years. Period. You may think those statements are both true or both false, but you can't logically believe that all the players, managers and assistant coaches accomplished a lot but the head coach accomplished zilch. It is not the case that a head coach should be able to beat ranked opponents but his players shouldn't.

Reaction Score
Jeez!

a. Guess business law isn't the only one that has a stalker(s). Don't flatter yourself. I hardly ever read your posts.
b. "Real football school" is a comment have made in a lot of posts, since you can't get it from the context on this one - its a put down on the media reaction to fhcRE taking the job at Maryland (and fhcRE and his crappy way of leaving) and all the media going "of course he took the job, a school with football history in a real conference"; a great step up from Uconn. I didn't know that you repeatedly made this comment in a lot of your posts (see above). I took it differently.
c. So putting fhcRE's 11 years of accomplishments in perspective as it relates to the important issue of "winning against top 25 opponents" (many of those years as an AQ school) is crapping on Uconn. Seems more like putting fhcRE's accomplishments in perspective. Take a shorter time frame. Since Uconn joined the BE, how many AQ schools have never beaten a top 25 team. There are almost 70 AQ schools, bet the number wouldn't require you to take your shoes off to count. My only problem with your post was the reference to the "real football school". I've said in this thread that Edsall's record against top 25 teams is the most legitimate knock on him.
d. Just in case c. isn't clear enough for you, crapping (if it is so as you state, which I don't agree with) on fhcRE's record in not crapping on Uconn. No more than say'n the Obama's record of success is pretty weak is crapping on the USA. You see fhcRE was not Uconn football (maybe you and he thought so, not me), just an employee; just like Obama is not the USA, just an employee. I don't know one poster on this board that would disagree with this premise. You can knock him for his record against top 25 teams, but then you turn around and crap all over our Fiesta Bowl appearance. Can't have it both ways.

Reaction Score
Yeah, he enabled MD to win.

For real. You'd think Edsall inherited a team of gang bangers bringing loaded gats into the practice facility reading that post. Did UMD football under Fridge have similar arrest track record to Penn State? Is Calhoun an enabler because or basketball players didn't graduate? What was the extent if the player problems at UMD? At this point, id really like to know.

Reaction Score
They were an undisciplined bunch that needed a strong hand.

Reaction Score
No, it's not. If Edsall wasn't successful over his ten years, UConn football wasn't successful over those years. Period. You may think those statements are both true or both false, but you can't logically believe that all the players, managers and assistant coaches accomplished a lot but the head coach accomplished zilch. It is not the case that a head coach should be able to beat ranked opponents but his players shouldn't.

I've written the following many times. I don't know if many have comprehended it completely. A football program, long term, must have goals, and must have a level of competition that is both realistic and reachable. Randy Edsall clearly built a football program, with the long term goal in place to become competitive in the Big East conference for Big East titles in a transition period from 1998 through 2005.

He did the job well. He built a program, that in all aspects from recruiting, to scheduling, to style of play, that was able to compete in the Big East essentially from day 1, since we weren't really supposed to join the Big East until 2005.

What Randy didn't do, was change his long term plan for the program to continue growth and become relevant on a national stage, which is why in 2011, we found ourselves in the situation we were in, with a couple of Big East titles in hand, a whooping by Oklahoma in the Fiesta Bowl, and a style of play that made it progressively harder to have any kind of diversity on offense or flexibility on defense, which in turn made it harder and harder to recruit skill specific positions on the field.

Randy finished the job he was charged with in 1998, without a doubt in 2007. No coincidence that his first real looks outside the programs for other jobs happened at the same time.

What's unfortunate for him, is that he seems to have taken the same exact plan he put in place for UConn in 1998, and began to run it at Maryland in 2011. To the T.

Talk about trying to fit a square peg into a round hole.

Reaction Score

Overdramatic. Do you get paid for this? Randy Edsall's public defender.

Reaction Score
For real. You'd think Edsall inherited a team of gang bangers bringing loaded gats into the practice facility reading that post. Did UMD football under Fridge have similar arrest track record to Penn State? Is Calhoun an enabler because or basketball players didn't graduate? What was the extent if the player problems at UMD? At this point, id really like to know.

I heard they liked to wear hats from time to time.

Reaction Score
It's not over dramatic. It just happens to be correct.

So if I think Randy Edsall plateaued in 2004 and was never going to take us any further than that i'm crapping on the football players? Sorry I disagree.

If I think Dom Perno was a mediocre coach i'm crapping on Tim Coles?

Reaction Score
They were an undisciplined bunch that needed a strong hand.
Yet they were eligible and not in jail and they won nine games. How bad could it have been? RE goes down there, lays down the law RE style, and half his team transfers. Even you have to admit some of his rules would alienate anyone. I mean, you could only enter the practice facility through certain doors??? These are "young" men, and they're not going to take kindly to that type of . I always said he could do and say things at UConn, that he wouldn't be able to do at other places given his level of success. The level of prickdom exhibited by RE is usually only tolerated from the most successful coaches like, Parcells or Belichek. It is nothing short of amazing how the media down there is burning him at the stake after ONE year. We will see if your right, and they have to eat crow. Given time, I think he could take UMD to the 7-8, win plateau he had UConn at, but I think the odds are against him being given that time due to the rocky start he has endured. He just can't help himself when he opens his mouth.

Reaction Score
So if I think Randy Edsall plateaued in 2004 and was never going to take us any further than that i'm crapping on the football players? Sorry I disagree.

If I think Dom Perno was a mediocre coach i'm crapping on Tim Coles?

If you think he plateaued in 2004, it just means you were wrong.

Reaction Score
If you think he plateaued in 2004, it just means you were wrong.

In your opinion. Thinking the Orlovsky, Caulley, Fincher, Hargrave, Tyler King, Mulchahey, Oui, Feidelson team could beat the 2010 team IMO is not outrageous. Temple, Rutgers, and Louisville beat the 2010 team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom