I'm not one for dragging up Edsall stuff but... | Page 3 | The Boneyard

I'm not one for dragging up Edsall stuff but...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
In your opinion. Thinking the Orlovsky, Caulley, Fincher, Hargrave, Tyler King, Mulchahey, Oui, Feidelson team could beat the 2010 team IMO is not outrageous. Temple, Rutgers, and Louisville beat the 2010 team.

Saying we plateaued after the 2004 season may be one of the top 10 dumbest things I've read on this board.

Reaction Score
Good strong argument. Thank you for your interest in UConn football.

You're welcome. Holy cow all I said was "Well Said", you're the one who blew it up. I still think point "D" of the post was well said, there is no need for me to explain it, it's easy to understand.

JaYnYcE

Soul Brother
Reaction Score
Edsalls days at UMD are numbered, and it couldn't happen to a more deserving individual.

Reaction Score
Are you kidding me? That was a renegade program. Some of the players even listened o their IPods in the locker room and at study hall. They needed Randys strong handed tactics to bring them back under control.

The two dozen renegade thugs who left Randys abiding care were all crack smoking date rapists who played Xbox all day.

For real. You'd think Edsall inherited a team of gang bangers bringing loaded gats into the practice facility reading that post. Did UMD football under Fridge have similar arrest track record to Penn State? Is Calhoun an enabler because or basketball players didn't graduate? What was the extent if the player problems at UMD? At this point, id really like to know.

Reaction Score
What's unfortunate for him, is that he seems to have taken the same exact plan he put in place for UConn in 1998, and began to run it at Maryland in 2011. To the T.

Talk about trying to fit a square peg into a round hole.

This. A million times this.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
lol he just came out with his 2012 northeast football pre season rankings
1-MD
2-giants
3-rutgers
4-navy
5-townson
6-psu

I'm pretty sure that MarylandAl thinks the Ravens are better than the Giants.

Other than that - high comedy. UConn peaked at the Motor City Bowl, Maryland was a fine tuned machine and Edsall has a lot in common with Dom Perno. All makes perfect sense.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
As much as I love Orlovsky and Fincher... here are the wins from 2004
Murray State, Duke, Army, Temple, Rutgers, Buffalo, Toledo... and Pitt.

Temple, Buffalo, Army and Duke were 2-9. Rutgers was 4-7. (That's 12-35 for those keeping score at home). They needed a Pick-6 and missed FG at horn to beat Duke. . The FBI investigated Toledo for point-shaving and showed up with an injured QB.

They played 5 teams with a pulse. Georgia Tech, Boston College and West Virginia whipped them. Syracuse threw for like 500 yards and they beat Pitt on a Thursday night in the first Rent night game.

I have little doubt that they had better talent at every position but QB and RB in 2011 and went 5-7.

Some advice for you youngsters without kids yet. I went to 11 of the 12 games that season, only missing @ Syracuse. Enjoy it while you can.

Reaction Score
d. Just in case c. isn't clear enough for you, crapping (if it is so as you state, which I don't agree with) on fhcRE's record in not crapping on Uconn. No more than say'n the Obama's record of success is pretty weak is crapping on the USA. You see fhcRE was not Uconn football (maybe you and he thought so, not me), just an employee; just like Obama is not the USA, just an employee. I don't know one poster on this board that would disagree with this premise.

I know one.

Reaction Score
As much as I love Orlovsky and Fincher... here are the wins from 2004
Murray State, Duke, Army, Temple, Rutgers, Buffalo, Toledo... and Pitt.

Temple, Buffalo, Army and Duke were 2-9. Rutgers was 4-7. (That's 12-35 for those keeping score at home). They needed a Pick-6 and missed FG at horn to beat Duke. . The FBI investigated Toledo for point-shaving and showed up with an injured QB.

They played 5 teams with a pulse. Georgia Tech, Boston College and West Virginia whipped them. Syracuse threw for like 500 yards and they beat Pitt on a Thursday night in the first Rent night game.

I have little doubt that they had better talent at every position but QB and RB in 2011 and went 5-7.

Some advice for you youngsters without kids yet. I went to 11 of the 12 games that season, only missing @ Syracuse. Enjoy it while you can.

Would the 2010 team win at Gtech or BC? That Syracuse team was the last decent team Syracuse had.

Put Orlovsky on the 2011 team and we go at worst 10 - 2 .

Reaction Score
A year + since he bailed on UConn and you guys are still obsessing about Edsall. How sad is that. Can't wait for September.

Reaction Score
Would the 2010 team win at Gtech or BC? That Syracuse team was the last decent team Syracuse had.

Put Orlovsky on the 2011 team and we go at worst 10 - 2 .

I agree. McEntee showed significant progress early in the season, but also showed why he was walk on, later in the season, and in the final game. I can still only shake my head on the ball that he threw into triple coverage out of our own endzone.

Said it before, I'll say it again, the way that Edsall managed the QB position since joining the Big East, made me want to choke him.

I'm 100% positive it was his program, plan, to be competitive in the big east, was to absolutely handcuff the QB position, so that there would be no risk of turnovers or mistakes with the ball. The house of cards, he built that was strong enough to compete in the big east, would come falling down if the QB turned he ball over, or made a bad move that hurt field position.

Too much damage for his program to overcome in the Big East competition.

Made it real hard though, to recruit the QB position, and the dominoes fall from there.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I know one.

If you want to buy into a faulty analogy sure. College football teams are their coaches. You can't separate them from each other.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I agree. McEntee showed significant progress early in the season, but also showed why he was walk on, later in the season, and in the final game. I can still only shake my head on the ball that he threw into triple coverage out of our own endzone.

Said it before, I'll say it again, the way that Edsall managed the QB position since joining the Big East, made me want to choke him.

I'm 100% positive it was his program, plan, to be competitive in the big east, was to absolutely handcuff the QB position, so that there would be no risk of turnovers or mistakes with the ball. The house of cards, he built that was strong enough to compete in the big east, would come falling down if the QB turned he ball over, or made a bad move that hurt field position.

Too much damage for his program to overcome in the Big East competition.

Made it real hard though, to recruit the QB position, and the dominoes fall from there.

Your position is that the coach decided to have below average play at quarterback by choice. It wasn't that he did a poor job of recruiting them or coaching them. It was that he made the decision to be poor at quarterback.

Can you confirm this is your belief? That the coach who let Orlovsky throw the ball all over the field... and then brought in a JUCO like Lorenzen and re-recruited Frazer from Notre Dame was making a choice to have below average quarterbacks.

It wasn't that post-injury Lorenzen couldn't pass, Frazer was inaccurate, Endres drug tested himself out of the program and Box proved not ready or good enough. He instead chose to give his team a disadvantage at quarterback.

Reaction Score
Your position is that the coach decided to have below average play at quarterback by choice. It wasn't that he did a poor job of recruiting them or coaching them. It was that he made the decision to be poor at quarterback.

Can you confirm this is your belief? That the coach who let Orlovsky throw the ball all over the field... and then brought in a JUCO like Lorenzen and re-recruited Frazer from Notre Dame was making a choice to have below average quarterbacks.

It wasn't that post-injury Lorenzen couldn't pass, Frazer was inaccurate, Endres drug tested himself out of the program and Box proved not ready or good enough. He instead chose to give his team a disadvantage at quarterback.

Not what I'm saying at all. I'm saying that he built a football program, that to be competitive in our conference, could not afford to have turnovers or any mistakes out of the QB position. He made QB's play with fear of turning the ball over.

The level of competition we played at, prior to joining the big east...we played an entirely different style of football.

Edsall's job was to build a competitive program in the Big East. That's exactly what he did, and it's why our team became so predictable that I could call every play as it was coming from the stands by 2010, even the so-called trick plays were easy to spot, because anytime somebody did something different, you knew it.

I sat there at Rentschler, and watched the well coached defenses, and the smart linebackers and safeties shut down our offense, over and over.

We won with defense, special teams and field postion offense. It was enough for the big east in flux between 2005-2010, but we got chewed up like a buzzsaw bythe teams that were deeper, stronger, bigger and more well rounded fundamentally than we were.

And if I was a talented QB, it would drive me crazy to play in the offense.

Reaction Score
RE stated many times that we were a run first program due to Northeast (unpredictable) weather.

That doesn't bode well to get top passing QB's to come to UConn. Whaler11 covers the QB history quite well. Throw in lousy QB coaching and lack of quality WR play you get what we got.

To say RE planned it this way is crazy. RE certainly was conservative to a fault but he really didn't have much choice at times. If he got aggressive on offense or defense without the right athletes we would have been crushed. Especially on defense.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Not what I'm saying at all. I'm saying that he built a football program, that to be competitive in our conference, could not afford to have turnovers or any mistakes out of the QB position. He made QB's play with fear of turning the ball over.

The level of competition we played at, prior to joining the big east...we played an entirely different style of football.

Edsall's job was to build a competitive program in the Big East. That's exactly what he did, and it's why our team became so predictable that I could call every play as it was coming from the stands by 2010, even the so-called trick plays were easy to spot, because anytime somebody did something different, you knew it.

I sat there at Rentschler, and watched the well coached defenses, and the smart linebackers and safeties shut down our offense, over and over.

We won with defense, special teams and field postion offense. It was enough for the big east in flux between 2005-2010, but we got chewed up like a buzzsaw bythe teams that were deeper, stronger, bigger and more well rounded fundamentally than we were.

And if I was a talented QB, it would drive me crazy to play in the offense.

Yeah no kidding they won on defense and special teams. Sure, if they had a good enough quarterback to play differently they should have been frustrated. Frazer seemed awfully happy at South Florida though so good thing it didn't bother him much.

Is the Big East no longer in flux? Did that end in 2010?

So you are saying that he coached around the fact he didn't have a quarterback - not that he preferred to not have a quarterback so he could coach that way? Can you pick one way or the other? Because it seems to me that he would have liked to have a better quarterback and because he didn't he worked around it.

Reaction Score
RE stated many times that we were a run first program due to Northeast (unpredictable) weather.

That doesn't bode well to get top passing QB's to come to UConn. Whaler11 covers the QB history quite well. Throw in lousy QB coaching and lack of quality WR play you get what we got.

To say RE planned it this way is crazy. RE vertainly was conservative to a fault he really didn't have much choice at times. If he got agressive on offense or defense without the right athletes we would have been crushed. Especially on defense.

I dont see Bill Belichick building a football program that's run first based on outdoor northeast weather. Just sayin.....

Edsall is a Tom Coughlin disciple. Edsall loves the guy, talks to him pretty regularly. Do you guys know anything about Coughlin? Coughlin was the wing back in the Syracuse offense in the 1960's that featured another New Haven, CT football product much like our current coach - NFL hall of famer Floyd Little, and Larry Cszonka.

Coughlin, has this rep for being a disciplined defensive guy, a special teams guy, a fundamentals guy.

It's all because the guy understood the value, the importance....of offensive possessions.

Tom Coughlin didn't get very many touches on the ball when he played for Syracuse. He got even less, if they turned the ball over.

Look, I"m blabbering now. You don't want to believe me, that's ok.

I fully believe that Edsall built a football program, that once we started Big East football, any sort of offensive turnover meant certain death.

It's ok, to coach that way, but you still need to let your QB take his shots with the ball, and let your QB know that you trust him, to take his shots with the ball

That's the difference between Edsall and Coughlin, and I'll leave it at that.

Reaction Score
Yeah no kidding they won on defense and special teams. Sure, if they had a good enough quarterback to play differently they should have been frustrated. Frazer seemed awfully happy at South Florida though so good thing it didn't bother him much.

Is the Big East no longer in flux? Did that end in 2010?

So you are saying that he coached around the fact he didn't have a quarterback - not that he preferred to not have a quarterback so he could coach that way? Can you pick one way or the other? Because it seems to me that he would have liked to have a better quarterback and because he didn't he worked around it.

Are you just trying to pain in the ass?

I'm saying that once he started coaching games at the BCS level, Edsall made his QB's play like they were wearing handcuffs. That's it.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
N

I can boil what you saw at the Rent into 2 numbers. 39-12.

They might have stunk on the road and against the Top 25, but they were 39-12 in East Hartford under Edsall.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Are you just trying to pain in the ass?

I'm saying that once he started coaching games at the BCS level, Edsall made his QB's play like they were wearing handcuffs. That's it.

I'm not trying to be a pain in the ass. I'm asking if you think he put handcuffs on them because they weren't good or if he chose to recruit quarterbacks who needed handcuffs.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I dont see Bill Belichick building a football program that's run first based on outdoor northeast weather. Just sayin.....

Edsall is a Tom Coughlin disciple. Edsall loves the guy, talks to him pretty regularly. Do you guys know anything about Coughlin? Coughlin was the wing back in the Syracuse offense in the 1960's that featured another New Haven, CT football product much like our current coach - NFL hall of famer Floyd Little, and Larry Cszonka.

Coughlin, has this rep for being a disciplined defensive guy, a special teams guy, a fundamentals guy.

It's all because the guy understood the value, the importance....of offensive possessions.

Tom Coughlin didn't get very many touches on the ball when he played for Syracuse. He got even less, if they turned the ball over.

Look, I"m blabbering now. You don't want to believe me, that's ok.

I fully believe that Edsall built a football program, that once we started Big East football, any sort of offensive turnover meant certain death.

It's ok, to coach that way, but you still need to let your QB take his shots with the ball, and let your QB know that you trust him, to take his shots with the ball

That's the difference between Edsall and Coughlin, and I'll leave it at that.

I'll ignore the BB stuff since Edsall didn't get hired into a program with Drew Bledsoe and didn't luck into drafting Tom Brady in the 6th round.

Yes, teacher we know who Tom Coughlin is. Yes, we know Randy Edsall worked for him.

Did you know that Randy Edsall went to Syracuse and didn't play?

Randy Edsall might have a million faults. Not wanting to turn the ball over is hardly a black mark on his record.

I just don't get why you think Edsall wouldn't have let a decent quarterback throw the ball. He let Orlovsky throw it all over the building and he let Lorenzen throw it until he got hurt and couldn't throw it anymore. The entire world wanted Frazer on a pike in 2010 - somehow he was stupid to not let him throw interceptions? He certainly let Endres throw it at times.

Edsall thought Hernandez was going to be a star. He probably thought he was set with Frazer and Endres. I don't see how his lack of ability to judge talent = he doesn't want to throw the ball. They are separate issues.

Reaction Score
I'm not trying to be a pain in the ass. I'm asking if you think he put handcuffs on them because they weren't good or if he chose to recruit quarterbacks who needed handcuffs.

Ok, that makes sense. I don't think he recruited bad players. Not at all. I still get heart sick about Cody Endres. I think that kid should be in the NFL right now. I can still see the first pass he threw in a game as clear as day in my mind right now. I think he wanted a QB that was smart enough to understand what he was asking of them, and make the safe, lowest risk choice with ball on the field. I think that a player like Cody Endres, that had all the physical tools, to make all the throws, and had the moxie to go out there and want to do it, made him really nervous, because if one of those risky throws got picked off, or if our field position got hurt by starting to throw more on traditional running downs, or pushing the envelope, it would expose the other areas of our football team that were weak.

We are going to be a different kind of team in the future. George Deleone is ancient. I wish I could share a story, right now,but I won't. But that guy, and a guy like Shane Day, that was able to keep up with and catch Mike Martz' eye?

Oh boy, that makes me excited about our offense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom