I'm not a "UConn back to the BE" guy, but . . . | Page 4 | The Boneyard

I'm not a "UConn back to the BE" guy, but . . .

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
That’s silly. They would have easily make the playoffs this year going 11-1.

They don’t make the playoffs because they aren’t good enough.

The teams that didn’t want UConn in the ACC did it so UConn would turn into this - why in the hell would they ever consider bringing them back from the dead.

There are already not enough players here to recruit. Syracuse and BC would welcome back UConn half past never.

They said they did it because they didn't like the competition.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
They said they did it because they didn't like the competition.

Probably not going to change their mind now are they?

If Notre Dame joined the AAC - they would
be recruiting Texas for 16. Not trolling at the AAC level.

Reaction Score
, Flipper is probably flipping burgers at Five Guys now anyway.

FWIW ~ DeFlippo is Sr Executive Director @ one of the largest executive search firms in the sports/entertainment industry (Turnkey). He’s doing fine.

Reaction Score
Ok. So I would think a 1 loss ND gets one of the 8 all day long. No?
They didn't have one loss they had three. Losing badly to a Miami team that lost to Pittsburgh didn't help them. Their chances year over year would be better of course with an eight team playoff, but even then they are competing with eight teams, and with the exception of one or two, all P5 teams. There were a lot of deserving teams after the top four this year, undefeated Wisconsin, Ohio State, Auburn, USC. Even Miami moves way up if they don't lose to Pittsburgh.

Reaction Score

They would never have changed their mind anyway. It was always going to be a money thing.

If Connecticut people are going to pay for the ACC channel, they are dumb.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
They would never have changed their mind anyway. It was always going to be a money thing.

If Connecticut people are going to pay for the ACC channel, they are dumb.

Oh I know.

Not much you can do if you want to be able to watch games.

Reaction Score
They didn't have one loss they had three. Losing badly to a Miami team that lost to Pittsburgh didn't help them. Their chances year over year would be better of course with an eight team playoff, but even then they are competing with eight teams, and with the exception of one or two, all P5 teams. There were a lot of deserving teams after the top four this year, undefeated Wisconsin, Ohio State, Auburn, USC. Even Miami moves way up if they don't lose to Pittsburgh.

Whoever said anyone gets in with 3 losses? I thought this fight was over them not getting in unless they were undefeated or in a conference?

Reaction Score
Oh I know.

Not much you can do if you want to be able to watch games.

Either way, with cable blowing up, the allure of charging people who don't watch basketball $2 a month was something UConn had going for it.

The school might do well to take back its tier 3 rights and start its own channel. Call it ESBN. Enough of this ESPNNews crap. I'm sure the school would make out well.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

EVERYONE’S CHANCES ARE BETTER WITH AN EIGHT TEAM PLAYOFF

4/x < 8/x

Reaction Score
Whoever said anyone gets in with 3 losses? I thought this fight was over them not getting in unless they were undefeated or in a conference?
Just saying that for the record. You and SFB are bringing up a hypothetical....does a one loss ND get in this year... regardless of what other teams could have done hypothetically. What if Ohio State doesn't get blown out by Iowa, what if Miami doesn't lose to Pittsburgh? What then?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
FWIW ~ DeFlippo is Sr Executive Director @ one of the largest executive search firms in the sports/entertainment industry (Turnkey). He’s doing fine.
Gee huskymedic that's so nice to hear, why don't you put up a website in his honor?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Either way, with cable blowing up, the allure of charging people who don't watch basketball $2 a month was something UConn had going for it.

The school might do well to take back its tier 3 rights and start its own channel. Call it ESBN. Enough of this ESPNNews crap. I'm sure the school would make out well.

This athletic department can’t get out of their own way.

They are going to run a TV station?

If they could even get the t3 rights back which aren’t worth nearly as much as they used to be. Home basketball games against AAC teams. Ain’t nobody worth a damn coming to visit if their game is going to be on closed circuit CT television. Not that anyone good visits in football or basketball anyway.

Reaction Score
This athletic department can’t get out of their own way.

They are going to run a TV station?

Well, ESPN was set up to run UConn sports, something like that. But really, something more like SNY--shouldn't be too hard to do.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
Oh bull...sh...it, they didn't make the playoffs because as an independent they competed against all five power conferences, that's ten teams (one or two from each conference) including maybe one G5 for a playoff spot. If they were in the ACC their only conference competition for a playoff spot would have been Clemson. You're an idiot!!! The only way they make the playoffs is if they go undefeated every year and blow out Alabama 42-0.

Yeah, it's almost like they've become the CFB equivalent of the Dallas Cowboys. They either don't realize they're cutting their own throat, or, like Jerry Jones, they couldn't care less about whether or not the team ever produces a championship again because they're making so much money from their NBC TV contract that it doesn't matter to them how the team actually performs. Or maybe Rutgers is a far better example!

Reaction Score
Sure. There was also a time when it was said we'd never be a basketball power. How did that work out?

We don't have to be a football power...just competitive in the FBS. Anyone who says it can't be done is forgetting that we've already done it. We finished 25th in the BCS top 25 final standings in one season, and we went to a BCS bowl game in another. There are quite a few current P5 football programs that have never been in a BCS or other major bowl. We have. It can be done. Saying it can't be done is nonsense, just like the naysayers who wanted us to drop out of the BE and go back to the Yankee Conference in the 1980's.
Let's say you are right. Would it be that much more difficult to reach that level again from the Big East I proposed versus this Frankenstein of a conference? I don't think so. Maybe a little but not a lot. And our fortunes in basketball would be a lot better. I'll take that tradeoff.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
1. CPTV Sports shut down this past summer, for those of you who think there's a real market for a CT-based sports station.
2. CT cable subscribers will absolutely be paying for the ACC Network. Watch, it'll happen. NYC's biggest cable provider is carrying it. I would bet cash that the UConn WBB games at Louisville and/or ND next year ends up on there, too.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score

That's funny. Texas isn't joining any conference where Texas isn't running the whole show. Texas taking orders from a bunch of North Carolina schools will never happen.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
That's funny. Texas isn't joining any conference where Texas isn't running the whole show. Texas taking orders from a bunch of North Carolina schools will never happen.

Guess we’ll see. Notre Dame isn’t joining a conference - but if they did join the ACC it would be a seismic change that would make the sixteenth slot desired by yuge programs.

Maybe they don’t get Texas but UConn wouldn’t even end up in the discussion. The day Toni Terzi told us the ACC was taking Louisville is the day the music died.

Reaction Score
If college becomes obsolete, what happens to knowledge?
Your implication that knowledge is somehow dependent on college outs you as a lifer in education administration. It reminds me of the H.L. Mencken quote: "It's difficult to get a man to understand what his job depends upon him not understanding."
The days of needing a professor to teach you a subject are behind us. If you don't see that, it's because you don't want to see that. That's not to say that some professors aren't wonderful - many are. It's only to say that most people, with the Internet and modern technology, don't need to live in a dorm, go to a brick and mortar classroom, and listen to a PhD professor to learn about most subjects. It's just that simple. For a huge portion of students, all college has left to offer is a degree - which has real world value because it is perceived to have value.
There are better ways to learn and better ways to certify than college. It's dying in part, and that's a good thing.

Reaction Score
1. CPTV Sports shut down this past summer, for those of you who think there's a real market for a CT-based sports station.
2. CT cable subscribers will absolutely be paying for the ACC Network. Watch, it'll happen. NYC's biggest cable provider is carrying it. I would bet cash that the UConn WBB games at Louisville and/or ND next year ends up on there, too.

CPTV had the UConn contract?

Reaction Score
Your implication that knowledge is somehow dependent on college outs you as a lifer in education administration. It reminds me of the H.L. Mencken quote: "It's difficult to get a man to understand what his job depends upon him not understanding."
The days of needing a professor to teach you a subject are behind us. If you don't see that, it's because you don't want to see that. That's not to say that some professors aren't wonderful - many are. It's only to say that most people, with the Internet and modern technology, don't need to live in a dorm, go to a brick and mortar classroom, and listen to a PhD professor to learn about most subjects. It's just that simple. For a huge portion of students, all college has left to offer is a degree - which has real world value because it is perceived to have value.
There are better ways to learn and better ways to certify than college. It's dying in part, and that's a good thing.

This isn't the place for this discussion, but you are deluded.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom