I'm not a "UConn back to the BE" guy, but . . . | Page 3 | The Boneyard

I'm not a "UConn back to the BE" guy, but . . .

Reaction Score
Boise is almost as far from Texas as Connecticut.

Be that as it may, a move to the BE as part of a strategic buildup toward the P5 could work, if you managed to get out alive. But the BE is less of a long term solution than the AAC is if you intend to be in a compete against state Us at either football or basketball.

Reaction Score
No attack Bugsy, just an observation of slight confusion. Yesterday you started a thread calling this guy a and stating you were irked by his assessment of UConn going back to the BE for basketball.
Today you agree with one of his major points. :confused: Having said that I agree with what you posted here today. Before " it's doable " came along people were screaming for UConn to drop out of the BE and go back to The Yankee Conference.

Well, I'm in general disagreement with his whole snarky article which is why I posted - he's implying that we're not good enough to return back to a league that he says is just fine the way it is now. I'm not ready to drop football and go back, but I disagree with his premise. As for the specific point you're asking about (regarding if UConn is a power program with a bad coach, or was Jim Calhoun a great coach elevating a mediocre program?), I'd say we WERE a lousy program before Calhoun got here, but he made us into a power program, and now we're a power program with a bad coach. I brought up UCLA and Indiana because they're not perceived as lousy programs despite their lack of titles since their legendary coaches left.

Think that answered your question, Woof.

Reaction Score
We were a good mid-major struggling with the transition to a power conference. Coach C brought us to the promised land. I love the posters who still talk about the coming bidding war between the BIG and ACC over us. My only question is whether we can get back to being a good mid-major The power conference membership is in the past.

Reaction Score
Boise is almost as far from Texas as Connecticut.

Be that as it may, a move to the BE as part of a strategic buildup toward the P5 could work, if you managed to get out alive. But the BE is less of a long term solution than the AAC is if you intend to be in a compete against state Us at either football or basketball.
Not quite "upstater", northern Texas is about 1000 miles from Boise (Kansas is even less), as the crow flies, if driving it's more because of the mountains. Storrs is 2000 miles from northern Texas. So to say "Boise is almost as far from Texas as Connecticut" is a little bit of a stretch. All I know is Boise and Texas are both in the midwest-mountain west and Storrs is up in New England. Lol

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
Aspirations aside, none of those teams are likely to get an invite to any P5 conference and we all know it. We are dieing in this conference. People keep saying we can recruit better out of the big east. They also say we will never be a football power. If they are right, the choice is obvious.

Sure. There was also a time when it was said we'd never be a basketball power. How did that work out?

We don't have to be a football power...just competitive in the FBS. Anyone who says it can't be done is forgetting that we've already done it. We finished 25th in the BCS top 25 final standings in one season, and we went to a BCS bowl game in another. There are quite a few current P5 football programs that have never been in a BCS or other major bowl. We have. It can be done. Saying it can't be done is nonsense, just like the naysayers who wanted us to drop out of the BE and go back to the Yankee Conference in the 1980's.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Not sure if this has been posted here. Written by a Xavier fan and brutal to read if you're a UConn fan, but the writer may be on point with some of the reasons.

Maybe, but he made no mention of what UConn would do for the BET.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I think Brigham Young and Boise State and a few others could be candidates for the Big 12, much more so than UConn ever was, and who is to say the Big 12 wouldn't try and get a PAC 12 team to jump ship. If Notre Dame joins the ACC in football, UConn most definitely would be a finalist for that last spot.

As the theme song went in WWE.

No chance! No chance in hell!

Not sure which of these impossibilities are the least likely.

1. A Pac 12 team leaving to join the Big 12.

2. Notre Dame joining a conference

3. The ACC picking UConn as their 16th.

I guess it’s #1 but it’s close.

Reaction Score
As the theme song went in WWE.

No chance! No chance in hell!

Not sure which of these impossibilities are the least likely.

1. A Pac 12 team leaving to join the Big 12.

2. Notre Dame joining a conference

3. The ACC picking UConn as their 16th.

I guess it’s #1 but it’s close.
I would also say #1 is very unlikely, but two and three are very possible, if UConn cans Ollie before he does anymore damage and HCRE gets the football program rolling next year. Let's hope for 6-6 next year and 8-4 the year after. As for Notre Dame joining a conference, they will because they have no choice. If they don't, they'll never make the playoffs again.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I would also say #1 is very unlikely, but two and three are very possible, if UConn cans Ollie before he does anymore damage and HCRE gets the football program rolling next year. Let's hope for 6-6 next year and 8-4 the year after. As for Notre Dame joining a conference, they will because they have no choice. If they don't, they'll never make the playoffs again.

That’s silly. They would have easily make the playoffs this year going 11-1.

They don’t make the playoffs because they aren’t good enough.

The teams that didn’t want UConn in the ACC did it so UConn would turn into this - why in the hell would they ever consider bringing them back from the dead.

There are already not enough players here to recruit. Syracuse and BC would welcome back UConn half past never.

Reaction Score
That’s silly. They would have easily make the playoffs this year going 11-1.

They don’t make the playoffs because they aren’t good enough.

The teams that didn’t want UConn in the ACC did it so UConn would turn into this - why in the hell would they ever consider bringing them back from the dead.

There are already not enough players here to recruit. Syracuse and BC would welcome back UConn half past never.
Oh bull...sh...it, they didn't make the playoffs because as an independent they competed against all five power conferences, that's ten teams (one or two from each conference) including maybe one G5 for a playoff spot. If they were in the ACC their only conference competition for a playoff spot would have been Clemson. You're an idiot!!! The only way they make the playoffs is if they go undefeated every year and blow out Alabama 42-0.

Reaction Score
I think with the Big 12 it was mostly a geographic issue, they clearly have expansion in mind but westward. When the time is right they will invite teams from the Mountain West to shore up their western flank, as it's no secret that the PAC 12 wants to raid the Big 12 and take Kansas, Texas, and Oklahoma. Inviting us would have not helped them in that respect at all, and would have been geographicly untenable with schools on the east coast AND west coast. BC will not vote against us this time around and even if they did they'd be over ruled. Paul Pasqualoni and Randy Edsall both were football coaches at Syracuse, and again the rivalry issue for the ACC in the NYC - Northeast market trumps a Syracuse no vote. Besides Flipper is long gone and he was the one that convinced Syracuse to vote no last time. There weren't any no votes against UConn more recently when Louisville got in by the slimest of hairs over us.
How can you say that there weren't any no votes against UConn in 2012 when Louisville got in? FSU, Clemson NC State, BC were all no votes at a minimum. Added to that were recommendations by Cuse and Pitt to not take UConn.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Oh bull...sh...it, they didn't make the playoffs because as an independent they competed against all five power conferences, that's ten teams (one or two from each conference) including maybe one G5 for a playoff spot. If they they were in the ACC their only conference competition for a playoff spot would have been Clemson. You're an idiot!!!

No offense but this is one of the dumbest posts I’ve ever read.

Your premise is idiotic in general, more specifically THEY LOST TO MIAMI by 33 points.

They didn’t make the playoff because they lost 3 games. Had they beat Miami and Stanford - guess what dot dot dot - they would have been in the playoff.

No matter how many times you post that Notre Dame is going to join the ACC - they aren’t.

I don’t know why these obvious simple things upset you so much - but join us here on Earth sometime.

Reaction Score
How can you say that there weren't any no votes against UConn in 2012 when Louisville got in? FSU, Clemson NC State, BC were all no votes at a minimum. Added to that were recommendations by Cuse and Pitt to not take UConn.
How do you know that? Do you have a link?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Oh bull...sh...it, they didn't make the playoffs because as an independent they competed against all five power conferences, that's ten teams (one or two from each conference) including maybe one G5 for a playoff spot. If they were in the ACC their only conference competition for a playoff spot would have been Clemson. You're an idiot!!! The only way they make the playoffs is if they go undefeated every year and blow out Alabama 42-0.

Dear moran. Here are the standings from before the Miami game AFTER THEY ALREADY HAD A LOSS.

College Football Playoff rankings: Georgia, Alabama, Notre Dame, Clemson remain in top four

Are you proposing that beating Miami and Stanford would have knocked them out of the top 4?

How do you remember to breathe?

Reaction Score
No offense but this is one of the dumbest posts I’ve ever read.

Your premise is idiotic in general, more specifically THEY LOST TO MIAMI by 33 points.

They didn’t make the playoff because they lost 3 games. Had they beat Miami and Stanford - guess what dot dot dot - they would have been in the playoff.

No matter how many times you post that Notre Dame is going to join the ACC - they aren’t.

I don’t know why these obvious simple things upset you so much - but join us here on Earth sometime.
Is the ability to reason, and to have some foresight difficult for you? When P5 conference champions get automatic bids they could lose to Miami 55-0, but if they win the conference championship they're in.

From the New Haven Register today...

“Pac-12 and Big 12 teams haven’t made the playoff in two of its four years. It’s not going to sit well with Ohio State, missing the playoffs. And with only four teams, Notre Dame may never get in without a perfect season.”

The rock in my front yard is smarter than you are.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Is the ability to reason, and to have some foresight difficult for you? When P5 conference champions get automatic bids they could lose to Miami 55-0, but if they win the conference championship they're in.

“Pac-12 and Big 12 teams haven’t made the playoff in two of its four years. It’s not going to sit well with Ohio State, missing the playoffs. And with only four teams, Notre Dame may never get in without a perfect season.”

Your argument is some dumb comment by Jeff Jacobs? Am I supposed to be impressed by the “NEW HAVEN REGISTER”?

NOTRE DAME WAS THIRD IN THE RANKINGS WITH TWO GAMES LEFT AGAINST GOOD TEAMS.

Seriously - are you ok? This is insane.

This was 60 days ago. Are you saying that Notre Dame would not have made the playoffs at 11-1 this year?

Reaction Score

The rock in my front yard is smarter than you are.

5 automatic bids for 4 spots?

Reaction Score
They are about to see a radical demographic shift. The loss of Pell Grants and new restrictions on student loans coupled with the new tax on endowments is going to create havoc.
Best post you ever made.
I'll add to your reasons the following two:
1. The economy is dog crap and getting worse and, while the employment numbers appear sanguine, the truth is that most jobs out there pay crap and people are having a harder time making ends meet than at any time since I've been aware (about 40 years).
2. The right-of-passage of middle American kids going to college is dying an overdue death. A proportion of kids who go to college don't need college and won't use most of what they learn in college when they get a job. The concept of going to college to get a 4 year liberal arts degree is, appropriately, going the way of the buggy whip. A 24 year old kid I know well went to college for 1 year and didn't do much other than party and get bad grades. After a few years of working 8$ an hour jobs, he took a 3 month crash course in javascript/programming. 6 days a week, 11 hours a day, for 3 months. Got his certification. Withing 3 months, got a job making 30$ an hour. Nothing but upside potential, set for life programming.
That's the future. With the internet and technology, the concept that you have to travel to a brick and mortar institution and have a particular individual teach you BS and BA type stuff is outdated.
The value of a BA/BS for many students at this point is that it shows you toughed out a 4 year college degree and the HS grad applying did not. Ironically, it also means you probably have a lot of debt that you need to repay, so you'll value the job more. When these stupidly expensive, middle of the road schools start contracting and closing - and they should - it will be a good thing. College is big business, and their product is becoming, in part, obsolete. Sign of the times.

Reaction Score
Not quite "upstater", northern Texas is about 1000 miles from Boise (Kansas is even less), as the crow flies, if driving it's more because of the mountains. Storrs is 2000 miles from northern Texas. So to say "Boise is almost as far from Texas as Connecticut" is a little bit of a stretch. All I know is Boise and Texas are both in the midwest-mountain west and Storrs is up in New England. Lol

Eh, was way off. Just seems at opposite ends. One is on Canadian border, other has Mexican border. But no one even lives in Idaho!

Reaction Score
Best post you ever made.
I'll add to your reasons the following two:
1. The economy is dog crap and getting worse and, while the employment numbers appear sanguine, the truth is that most jobs out there pay crap and people are having a harder time making ends meet than at any time since I've been aware (about 40 years).
2. The right-of-passage of middle American kids going to college is dying an overdue death. A proportion of kids who go to college don't need college and won't use most of what they learn in college when they get a job. The concept of going to college to get a 4 year liberal arts degree is, appropriately, going the way of the buggy whip. A 24 year old kid I know well went to college for 1 year and didn't do much other than party and get bad grades. After a few years of working 8$ an hour jobs, he took a 3 month crash course in javascript/programming. 6 days a week, 11 hours a day, for 3 months. Got his certification. Withing 3 months, got a job making 30$ an hour. Nothing but upside potential, set for life programming.
That's the future. With the internet and technology, the concept that you have to travel to a brick and mortar institution and have a particular individual teach you BS and BA type stuff is outdated.
The value of a BA/BS for many students at this point is that it shows you toughed out a 4 year college degree and the HS grad applying did not. Ironically, it also means you probably have a lot of debt that you need to repay, so you'll value the job more. When these stupidly expensive, middle of the road schools start contracting and closing - and they should - it will be a good thing. College is big business, and their product is becoming, in part, obsolete. Sign of the times.

That's the future? I was just speaking with people in our computing program last weekend. They seem to think it is almost OVAH for programming.

If college becomes obsolete, what happens to knowledge?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom