I'm not a "UConn back to the BE" guy, but . . . | The Boneyard

I'm not a "UConn back to the BE" guy, but . . .

Reaction Score
"If you take away things Jim Calhoun won or things won with players he recruited, it’s not clear that adding UConn is a boon to the league."

notsure-1.jpg

Reaction Score
what this Xavier wrote kinda irked me. Pretty uppity for a writer from a school that's never even gotten to a Final Four.

Five reasons to keep UConn out of the Big East

I'm sure the nightmare envisioned by the big brass at UConn is that the P5 are having a big party of state schools, and this BE thing of piddling Catholic schools devolves into some kind of weird ghost league of little consequence as the football money transforms the entire landscape. Then what?

You also have to look at the larger backdrop of what's going on in Higher Education nationwide. How long can schools like DePaul, Seton Hall and St. John's keep charging mid-$50k for tuition and R&B? Things are about to change radically for these mid-tier private schools, and especially the big Catholics with lots of students. They are about to see a radical demographic shift. The loss of Pell Grants and new restrictions on student loans coupled with the new tax on endowments is going to create havoc.

From that point of view, UConn tying itself to a bunch of schools that are going to drown is a crazy thing to do.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
It is the preface that gets me.
UConn's-admittance would be an attempt to ruin one of the few things that are pure and good in the world?
I thought the Vineyard was dramatic!

It is a good thing there has never been a scandal attached to a Catholic institution.

LoveMeSomeUC

"My point being" James A. Calhoun
Reaction Score
The caption under the photo is pretty incredible...“Dresses worse than Jay Wright, coaches worse than Ed Cooley”

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
Half of his reasons are stupid because BE has already leaked they would be fine with a 20-game double round robin with 11 teams so his first 3 reasons are mute.

Reaction Score
What are the "banners" in "banners on the parkway" they're so proud of? Their NIT championship from the 50s or their four A10 tourny championships?

Reaction Score
The funny thing is NBE fans don’t think they’re a mid-major. There’s P5 and everyone else.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
The funny thing is NBE fans don’t think they’re a mid-major. There’s P5 and everyone else.
In basketball, they are a major conference. The stats don't lie. They have finished between 2nd and 4th every year in conference RPI, better than at least two P5 conferences every year.

Reaction Score
In basketball, they are a major conference. The stats don't lie. They have finished between 2nd and 4th every year in conference RPI, better than at least two P5 conferences every year.
Yeah, and how far will that get them when the P5 breaks apart from the G5/mid-majors?

Reaction Score
That article focuses on all the things except the only one that matters: money. Getting Uconn would increase the value of the NBE TV contract - that is indisputable. For example, last year UConn / Georgetown drew over 7ook viewers for 2 bad teams. Let's compare that to a Georgetown game against your average BE team, say Seton Hall. Same noon start time drew 81k. Not perfectly comparable given Uconn/Gtown was on Fox not FS1, but indicative.

Not impossible that the “purity” of the conference will win out over money, but would probably be the first time in NCAA history.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
It is the preface that gets me.
UConn's-admittance would be an attempt to ruin one of the few things that are pure and good in the world?
I thought the Vineyard was dramatic!

It is a good thing there has never been a scandal attached to a Catholic institution.

That’s his only logical point. He isn’t talking about scandal he’s talking about influence from football.

Reaction Score
"Is UConn a power program on a bad coach, or was Jim Calhoun a great coach elevating a mediocre program?"

UCLA is/was considered hoops royalty yet have as many NCs since Wooden retired as KO. IU hasn't won since Knight left.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
I'm sure the nightmare envisioned by the big brass at UConn is that the P5 are having a big party of state schools, and this BE thing of piddling Catholic schools devolves into some kind of weird ghost league of little consequence as the football money transforms the entire landscape. Then what?

You also have to look at the larger backdrop of what's going on in Higher Education nationwide. How long can schools like DePaul, Seton Hall and St. John's keep charging mid-$50k for tuition and R&B? Things are about to change radically for these mid-tier private schools, and especially the big Catholics with lots of students. They are about to see a radical demographic shift. The loss of Pell Grants and new restrictions on student loans coupled with the new tax on endowments is going to create havoc.

From that point of view, UConn tying itself to a bunch of schools that are going to drown is a crazy thing to do.
I would be careful to put too much stick into the long term lifespan of football as a sport in its current state.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Razzle

Top Bottom