I'm More Convinced Than Ever: UConn & UVA to the B1G | Page 8 | The Boneyard

I'm More Convinced Than Ever: UConn & UVA to the B1G

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
They don't have enough cash to buy out Crean and the Celtics and bring on Stevens.

Preaching to the choir, bro. TO.. THE.. CHOIR.

Have you ever had the pleasure of visiting Peegs?? It's the internet crucible of Hoosier delusion and madness.

Reaction Score
Looks like we found the guy who thinks hes smarter than the B1G's research firm's findings??And yeah the lets keep bashing another school to make our case guy too!! Maybe that will work? No...I see dogs wasn't the original commenter but thats OK he obviously has issues of his own...I'm to much a gentlemen to name the OP.

Ah......duck* it!

Listen Skippy. My point was your stating that Rutgers has 10x the potential as Wisconsin. Let me know the next time Rutgers plays a whole bunch of New Year's Day games with Roses being handed out.

I'm not too much of a gentleman to point out when somebody posts something so blatantly STUPID.

Reaction Score
But it took how long for "TRUSTS" to become illegal??? I do not know if they will be legal or illegal in 10 yrs, but my point to you was, what may be legal today may become illegal tomorrow. Think of it this way, currently Major League Baseball is an operating monopoly that the U.S. government currently allows. But if fans or the population was to suddenly for whatever reason to be against MLB, congress would step in as they have in the past and threaten to take away this "legal" monopoly until they changed their ways. (For the record no one believes it will ever be taken away but if MLB pushed on an issue that our U.S. congress was against - well who knows how that would play out).

I can't believe you are using the music industry as your example, I don't know of a more corrupt business other than the MOB. Sure the music industry is operating under "legal" pretense but lets not have out educational institutions aspire to such a shrewd, crafty, winner takes ALL and more business model that makes us think of high pressure tactics when we are now talking about the welfare of student athletes. I think the GOR as others have stated has yet to be challenged which is why no one knows for sure how this will play out. But with respect to the GOR, what does the student athlete get for signing with a team that allows a GOR to exist? Afterall, whose name is on the back of the jersey and worse whose body is taking the "punches" on the field. So please, and ND is going to talk about a GOR - please did ND sign the GOR? and if so, did it include football? So when this is all about football, please don't talk to me about the justification of a GOR citing of all things the music industry. ND, obviously is not going to have their football program subjected to it. And once again, ND is helping to defend or craft rules that they themselves will not be required to live by? When in the Old Big East, how many times did ND vote for something that was counter to the growth of the conference but served their own needs? Sure good shrewd business sense and now there are the GOR's, thanks ND, you helped destroy what was likely the best regional basketball conference in the U.S. and certainly the only one that ever captured NYC on a regular basis. Note to be clear I said Helped - I do not blame the Judas University solely but they definitely had a much bigger hand in it than they should have been allowed. Maybe the ACC, NBE, or the BIG will do this but they will never have been first and so they will always be compared - ALWAYS!!!

As a UConn fan, I do not plan on counting on the concept of a GOR being challenged as our only hope. Sure it could get things really moving, but I think conference realignment has a few more after-shocks before it settles. I think UConn will be involved in one of them and that is all I care about. A GOR being challenged and failing would be off the Richter Scale and the tectonic shift would be massive - so I think this will be avoided but I cannot assume it will never be challenged and if it is, what the outcome would be.

If this question has been asked and answered, I apologize. That being said, has anyone ever seen a fully executed GOR document from any relevant conference?

Reaction Score
Good. Grab Texas for the Big Ten, then. I will grab the popcorn and watch the show.

I am one who has argued that the old conference has to pay the departing school for their rights. The new conference gets nothing, though, for the new school's home game TV rights.

Texas would likely get paid by the Big 12 but the Big Ten would not have more Texas welfare TV money from Texas home games to spread around to the likes of Purdue and Illinois.

So, how much money will be allocated for legal fees to fight the GOR signed by Texas?

That would be fun to watch. How long will this court case take? Five years or so at the trial and appellate levels?

Correct, the new league wouldn't benefit from most of the home games of a Texas or Oklahoma or whomever else. But that money would simply be deducted from the league payout. Essentially, the Big 12 would be paying the value out of their own pocket for those home games while the new league simply deducts it. So if Texas is getting $20 million from the Big 12, that portion would simply be deducted from the Big Ten's payout to Texas.

There would be a little bit of money lost in the process, but it would still be profitable.

Reaction Score
Dude, you are spinning like a top.

The fact that Rutgers got in the Big Ten with lousy athletics disproves your entire point (or at least what I think your point might be). Of course, you seem to be simultaneously making two contradictory points without realizing it so what do I know?
Rutgers getting into the B1G was a huge error on Delaney's part, given that athletics AND athletic performance is absolutely what is driving conference realignment. Like I said before, conference realignment has everything to do with TV ratings, and TV ratings in college sports or the pros has everything to do with athletic success and performance. No one likes to watch a loser, just ask Cleveland, the Marlins, Kansas City, or Paul Pasqualoni.

OK...now why did Rutgers get in???? Clearly there were better choices for the league, like UCONN or Missouri. So who knows for sure, but IMO they were grandfathered in because the Rutgers campus is the birthplace of college football. It sounds corny but to some people it's hallowed ground. Jopa wanted them years ago for his Northeast football conference for that reason. I mean Rutgers helped write the rulebook.

"American football evolved from the sport of rugby football.[6] Rugby, like American football, is a team sport where two competing teams vie for control of a ball, which can be kicked through a set of goalposts or run into the opponent's goal area to score points.[7]

The first American football game was played on November 6, 1869 between Rutgers and Princeton. The game was played between two teams of 25 players each, used a round ball, and resembled a combination of rugby and soccer in its rules; the ball could not be picked up or carried, but it could be kicked or batted with the feet, hands, head or sides, with the ultimate goal of advancing it into the opponent's goal. Rutgers won the game 6-4.[8][9] Collegiate play continued for several years in which matches were played using the rules of the host school. Representatives of Yale, Columbia, Princeton and Rutgers met on October 19, 1873 to create a standard set of rules for all schools to adhere to. Teams were set at 20 players each, and fields of 400 by 250 feet were specified. Harvard abstained from the conference, as they favored a rugby-style game that allowed running with the ball.[9]

An 1875 Harvard-Yale game played under rugby-style rules was observed by two impressed Princeton athletes. These players introduced the sport to Princeton, a feat the Professional Football Researchers Association compared to "sellingrefrigerators to Eskimos."[9] Princeton, Harvard, Yale and Columbia then agreed to intercollegiate play using a form of rugby union rules with a modified scoring system.[10] These schools formed the Intercollegiate Football Association, although Yale did not join until 1879. Yale player Walter Camp, now regarded as the "Father of American Football,"[10][11] passed rule changes in 1880 that reduced the team size from 15 to 11 players and instituted the snap to replace the chaotic and inconsistent scrum.[10]"

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Rutgers getting into the B1G was a huge error on Delaney's part, given that athletics AND athletic performance is absolutely what is driving conference realignment. Like I said before, conference realignment has everything to do with TV ratings, and TV ratings in college sports or the pros has everything to do with athletic success and performance. No one likes to watch a loser, just ask Cleveland, the Marlins, Kansas City, or Paul Pasqualoni.

OK...now why did Rutgers get in???? Clearly there were better choices for the league, like UCONN or Missouri. So who knows for sure, but IMO they were grandfathered in because the Rutgers campus is the birthplace of college football. It sounds corny but to some people it's hallowed ground. Jopa wanted them years ago for his Northeast football conference for that reason. I mean Rutgers helped write the rulebook.

"American football evolved from the sport of rugby football.[6] Rugby, like American football, is a team sport where two competing teams vie for control of a ball, which can be kicked through a set of goalposts or run into the opponent's goal area to score points.[7]

The first American football game was played on November 6, 1869 between Rutgers and Princeton. The game was played between two teams of 25 players each, used a round ball, and resembled a combination of rugby and soccer in its rules; the ball could not be picked up or carried, but it could be kicked or batted with the feet, hands, head or sides, with the ultimate goal of advancing it into the opponent's goal. Rutgers won the game 6-4.[8][9] Collegiate play continued for several years in which matches were played using the rules of the host school. Representatives of Yale, Columbia, Princeton and Rutgers met on October 19, 1873 to create a standard set of rules for all schools to adhere to. Teams were set at 20 players each, and fields of 400 by 250 feet were specified. Harvard abstained from the conference, as they favored a rugby-style game that allowed running with the ball.[9]

An 1875 Harvard-Yale game played under rugby-style rules was observed by two impressed Princeton athletes. These players introduced the sport to Princeton, a feat the Professional Football Researchers Association compared to "sellingrefrigerators to Eskimos."[9] Princeton, Harvard, Yale and Columbia then agreed to intercollegiate play using a form of rugby union rules with a modified scoring system.[10] These schools formed the Intercollegiate Football Association, although Yale did not join until 1879. Yale player Walter Camp, now regarded as the "Father of American Football,"[10][11] passed rule changes in 1880 that reduced the team size from 15 to 11 players and instituted the snap to replace the chaotic and inconsistent scrum.[10]"
Also the gridiron,4 downs,and a first down every 10 yards..
6 Pts, for TD and 1 for a pt after and conceived the name All American.
Walter Camp was a Connecticut Native.
Therefore Connecticut is the birthplace of American Football
Rutgers Princeton is proof Association football has a longer US history.

Reaction Score

There is only one thing driving conference realignment and that is money. Delany could give two schitts about Rutgers being "The Birthplace of College Football." In fact he could care less if their team thinks you get 5 downs to make a first down, or you get 72 points for a touchdown. As soon as the B1G developed The BTN, the state of NJ became a realistic option for membership. Not a minute before. I hope Uconn gets in, but they or anyone won't unless they can prove they bring more revenue to the table than they take from it.

Reaction Score
There is only one thing driving conference realignment and that is money. Delany could give two schitts about Rutgers being "The Birthplace of College Football." In fact he could care less if their team thinks you get 5 downs to make a first down, or you get 72 points for a touchdown. As soon as the B1G developed The BTN, the state of NJ became a realistic option for membership. Not a minute before. I hope Uconn gets in, but they or anyone won't unless they can prove they bring more revenue to the table than they take from it.
I respectfully disagree, I think he does give 2 schitts or maybe even 5 schitts about Rutgers being the birthplace of college football (that fact in and of itself does have some lasting intrinsic value), but I do see your point about money. Yet they invited a school that really stinks in basketball and football. Yes, the state of New Jersey is a big market, but I have my doubts that enough people will tune in to watch Rutgers get destroyed by Michigan State or Wisconsin by 40 points. Rutgers doesn't have a rivalry in the B1G, and it needs one badly. Maryland? Nah. My thinking is if UCONN does get an invite, Delaney will have his Rutgers rivalry AND the best basketball program in the country.

Reaction Score
Correct, the new league wouldn't benefit from most of the home games of a Texas or Oklahoma or whomever else. But that money would simply be deducted from the league payout. Essentially, the Big 12 would be paying the value out of their own pocket for those home games while the new league simply deducts it. So if Texas is getting $20 million from the Big 12, that portion would simply be deducted from the Big Ten's payout to Texas.

There would be a little bit of money lost in the process, but it would still be profitable.

So now that that's settled, all we need now is for a judge to shoot a hole in the ACC bylaws, and "hello Virginia"?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I respectfully disagree, I think he does give 2 schitts or maybe even 5 schitts about Rutgers being the birthplace of college football (that fact in and of itself does have some lasting intrinsic value), but I do see your point about money. Yet they invited a school that really stinks in basketball and football. Yes, the state of New Jersey is a big market, but I have my doubts that enough people will tune in to watch Rutgers get destroyed by Michigan State or Wisconsin by 40 points. Rutgers doesn't have a rivalry in the B1G, and it needs one badly. Maryland? Nah. My thinking is if UCONN does get an invite, Delaney will have his Rutgers rivalry AND the best basketball program in the country.

You are hung up on the idea that it matters if people in New Jersey watch.

Reaction Score
There are six; Indiana is a blue blood. IU has more Natty's than KU or Duke, and is tied with UNC. They's definitely been down for years, but they're still a BB. UCONN right behind those six, IMO. I hate em, but facts are facts.

As has already been mentioned, B1G would take UNC in a nanosecond, and Delany would mos def ride naked thru the Canyon of Heroes.

BTW - why is the Domer commenting on the ACC GOR?? Did they even sign?? I also like how he says that UNC would bolt for the SEC rather than the B1G. Uh-huh, sure. Domer anti-B1G butthurt cry is gonna go thru the roof when we pwn their NYC/NE home away from home, and they're left with a conference full of middling nobodies (after we welcome UNC/UVA) whilst fading further into the abyss of irrelevance.

1) That wasn't me that said anything about UNC.

2) Says a Purdue fan? Irony.

Reaction Score
So now that that's settled, all we need now is for a judge to shoot a hole in the ACC bylaws, and "hello Virginia"?

More or less, yes, I would surmise the biggest obstacle is more about the uncertainty of the legal process than the concept of the GoR itself. If the Big 12 or ACC followed the GoR as it's designed to operate, it most definitely would not stop other conferences from poaching.

And frankly, that was never the intent of a GoR anyhow. A Grant of Rights, like an exit fee, cannot be restrictive. It cannot be punitive. It's meant to protect interests of the conferences and media partners, not bind an institution to a league.

Reaction Score
I'm sold!
Also factor in Rentschler Field after expansion. Hartford is very easy to get to from anywhere in New England, and probably an easier trip for many New Yorkers than is Rutgers. An airfield full of tailgating. B1G fans throughout the Northeast will appreciate it!

Hartford is a long way from NYC. Do you realize that Rutgers is closer to Manhattan than Rentschler is to Storrs? And you don't even need your car to go to a game!

For last year's game at Rutgers, thousands of Arkansas fans stayed in NYC, took a train directly from Penn Station and arrived on campus in New Brunswick within the hour. They enjoyed the tailgating, then the game, and returned to their hotel in Times Square for dinner.

Not only is Rutgers a sleeping giant, but the proximity to NYC makes the gameday experience incredibly unique for the visiting team. I was on the train with them back to the city. These are people who had traveled to see their team all over the country, and it was like they were in Disney World in spite of the fact that their team lost the game. Some were seeing a Broadway show; others had plans to go to the Statue of Liberty. Heck, one guy asked me how to take the train from New Brunwick to Philadelphia because he was a history buff and knew he was only 60 miles away.

New Brunswick is firmly within the NYC metro area. Our radio, tv, and newspapers all come from NY. The station that covers our games is a NYC station. It lies 10 miles west of the city limits and 36 miles from Midtown. There is direct train service several times an hour from New Brunwick station to Penn Station. You can see the new WTC tower from the higher floors of New Brunswick's office buildings (I'm told you can see it from the upper deck of the stadium as well, though I haven't verified this myself). Can we put this argument to rest?

There are 22 million people in the NYC metro area. This number includes about 7.5 million people in Northern NJ (the state has 9 million). It includes many people from Connecticut (Fairfield), but NO ONE from Hartford or Storrs.

Reaction Score

They don't have to win for The B1G to make money on them. The conference already has made money from their inclusion via cable subscriptions. Winning has nothing to do with it.

Reaction Score
Ah.duck* it!

Listen Skippy. My point was your stating that Rutgers has 10x the potential as Wisconsin. Let me know the next time Rutgers plays a whole bunch of New Year's Day games with Roses being handed out.

I'm not too much of a gentleman to point out when somebody posts something so blatantly STUPID.
Rose's...I believe that Wisky only started smelling the "roses" POST Alvarez like I mentioned I remember when they were mediocre to say the least at least in FB for many yrs !! If you think the Badgers were always B1G hierarchy ur either too young or I don't know what to say!?! Ask any oldtime Mich or OSU fan if they consider Wisky a peer/rival..heck even MSU? Even Nebbie and PSU newcomers are more respected than the Alvarez Badgers! Maybe Iowa might be more at Wisky's level historically speaking but honestly I don't know a lot of the B1G's history but DO know Wisky was hardly heard of pre-Alvarez in FB here in the NE NY/NJ area in my time.btw RU has at LEAST 10 times the FB potential as has RU really vested themselves yet to highlight sports?....Do they even play HSFB in Wisconsin? If I was talking Hockey I might agree with you but Wisky recruit's NJ/PA for a reason. So who's posting STUPIDITY?And Skippy? Im not 15 pal!! Don't let you're hate or jealousy of other school's cloud you're common sense. Has anyone ever called Wisky a sleeping giant? Talk about perception over reality? And everyone says the B1G is slow and lagging behind the southern conferences? Didn't you guys give historical power Mich all they could handle last season at you're recent low point with PP? Don't underestimate the local state schools potential buddy.

Reaction Score
Wisky was bad. For a long time.

Alvarez modeled his program after Nebraska and started keeping the big linemen in state as well as recruiting elsewhere. It worked.

Reaction Score
They don't have to win for The B1G to make money on them. The conference already has made money from their inclusion via cable subscriptions. Winning has nothing to do with it.
A lot of these posts are "why them and not us" posts Ldandy but I can understand the way they feel! If RU was left behind I would have been bitter myself but I do believe UConn got a raw deal from the ACC where they put there egg's and
RU always knew they were a B1G style school and focused on building relationship's there. Like you said they were a lock on market alone and NJ does great locally on TV in FB!! UConn just got a late start in major D1 CFB.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Nobody can prove anything with regard to future revenue. It's what people believe that counts. Leadership required vision and vision rarely obeys the rules that govern cost/benefit analyses. What's Delany's vision? That will dictate his moves.

Reaction Score
Also the gridiron,4 downs,and a first down every 10 yards..
6 Pts, for TD and 1 for a pt after and conceived the name All American.
Walter Camp was a Connecticut Native.
Therefore Connecticut is the birthplace of American Football
Rutgers Princeton is proof Association football has a longer US history.
If they are they should tout it? I thought the 1st generation of Irish-catholics and gaelic FB popularized and started american FB when in 1869 they came of age and RU/Princeton played the 1st recognized game of FB. Notice FB spread from the NYC metro and Chicago metro about the same time the Irish exploded onto the scene? And remember Paul Robeson? ND worshiping the game and Manhatten and Fordham being CFB powers? I stand by RU's claims until proven otherwise and if I'm wrong I don't want the distinction!!

Reaction Score
Winning has a lot to do with it. No one will watch a loser repeatedly unless they are a hardcore fan and unfortunately there are not a lot of them to pony up for a BTN subscription, not enough for the conference to make money. As many have said the B1G inviting Rutgers was a colossal mistake, and begs the question who has more hardcore fans Rutgers or UCONN?

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
The Big Ten will not make any more money if Rutgers wins or loses - they've basically already nailed down the carriage deals they'd hoped to nail down by inviting Rutgers.

Reaction Score
You are hung up on the idea that it matters if people in New Jersey watch.
Of course it matters. The BTN is not free TV, it's a subscription, people pay to watch it and they're not gonna pay for something they're not gonna watch.

Reaction Score

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Of course it matters. The BTN is not free TV, it's a subscription, people pay to watch it and they're not gonna pay for something they're not gonna watch.

You don't know what you're talking about.

It's not a standalone subscription - it's on the most basic of extended cable subscriptions.

They've got carriage in New Jersey and New York City already. It's a done deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYCVET

Top Bottom