If you could go back in time would you want UCONN to sue BC and the ACC? | Page 5 | The Boneyard

If you could go back in time would you want UCONN to sue BC and the ACC?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Indeed, memories are long of BCU lying to and undermining its partner universities. In time, BCU's rightful place will be cemented by Leahy's hypocrisies.
Lying and undermining in your opinion, moving onto a more stable conference that pays better is more like it. IF the A.C.C. had asked U Conn they would have split in a N.Y. minute. Don't be a hypocrite. Anything that went on behind the scenes in 2003-04 is pure conjecture and sour grapes. Miami was intent and made a promise to bring B.C along with it even after the V.T. intercept. It was a public FACT written in the Boston Globe and Herald between B.C. and Miami leadership. The premise of conversation being 'We will do everything in our power to make sure you are included as a future member...... it was only a matter of when... not if. The Big East knew the A.C.C. sat at 11 schools and needed a twelfth.....the writing was on the wall so spare me the lies and deception, that was used as a smear tactic by a disgruntled few. The Syracuse and Pitt departures were just as swift and surprising catching the B.E. totally off guard, yet you continue to beat the drum of venom towards B.C.........double standards and hypocrisy.

Reaction Score
I am hoping that rational folks will prevail, and, see the value of a BC-UConn rvialry within the ACC. Yeah, BC would have quite a ways to go to be competitive with you in hoops, and, you all would need some work to get back to their level in football. But, it would be a great thing for both schools, the region, and, the league.

I see the value, and that lawsuit is ancient history to me. I hope it is ancient history for the league too. What the people at the former Big East schools think of UConn having been in a league with UConn before is important. But we are seeing change at many of them: VT is getting a new President and AD, BC has a new AD, Syracuse is getting a new President, Pittsburgh is getting a new Chancellor, and Miami has a new AD. UConn should get a fresh look long removed from the lawsuit and the Big East when all these changes take place. I hope a fresh objective analysis will be positive.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I understand that all the faces will ultimately change, although Swofford's remains the same - I just cannot see UConn ever being invited into the ACC, especially with Notre Dame out there in the ether.

If you knew what we know about Syracuse, Pitt and Boston College, you'd understand our pessimism with our long-term ACC chances.

Whereas ACC schools actually seem to enjoy rivalries, our former neighbors are a lot more timid.

Reaction Score
I understand that all the faces will ultimately change, although Swofford's remains the same - I just cannot see UConn ever being invited into the ACC, especially with Notre Dame out there in the ether.

If you knew what we know about Syracuse, Pitt and Boston College, you'd understand our pessimism with our long-term ACC chances.

Whereas ACC schools actually seem to enjoy rivalries, our former neighbors are a lot more timid.

You used to be even more pessimistic about the B1G. So no ACC, no B1G, then Pac12?

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Unfortunately, the ACC has said "no" on multiple occasions. It took freaking Pitt before taking UConn. While I am sure there is a way for this to happen, I have trouble understanding the combination of circumstances that would earn UConn an invitation to the ACC.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I think we are going to reach a point where legal alternatives are all we have. The most dangerous person in any negotiation is the one that has nothing to lose. UConn has to start acting like it has nothing to lose, because the reality is that we don't.

Reaction Score
I think we are going to reach a point where legal alternatives are all we have. The most dangerous person in any negotiation is the one that has nothing to lose. UConn has to start acting like it has nothing to lose, because the reality is that we don't.

What legal alternatives? Are we going to sue our way into a conference?

Mr. Wonderful

Whistleblower
Reaction Score
If the ACC wants to renegotiate its contract with ESPN sooner rather than later, they will have to add value in a concrete way. Adding UConn is pretty much all they have left that would accomplish that.

Reaction Score
You have all the answers, so what should UConn do?

I know a bad idea when I see it. Do you really think UConn can improve it's standing in court? Legal action hasn't exactly worked out well for UConn so far.

Maybe UConn can retain the firm of Dewey, Cheatem & Howe and litigate its way into the MAC. That should make you happy.

Reaction Score
I know a bad idea when I see it. Do you really think UConn can improve it's standing in court? Legal action hasn't exactly worked out well for UConn so far.

Maybe UConn can retain the firm of Dewey, Cheatem & Howe and litigate its way into the MAC. That should make you happy.

The chances of the MAC expanding anytime soon are as remote as the ACC and B1G diluting any further. This whole discussion is much ado about nothing, expansion ain't happening in the near future.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

Actually, playing by the rules and waiting our turn is how UConn has gotten to this point. So more of the same advice seems catastrophically stupid.

Do you know anything about the history of sports over the last 40 years? Most of the major changes in professional and intercollegiate athletics have occurred as the result of litigation. The BCS exists because of litigation against the NCAA. O'Bannon is going to win his lawsuit, and that will shake things up. And someone is going to sue the BCS for the anti-competitive cartel that it is.

How do I know the P5 will lose in court? Because it is paying the non-BCS schools almost $100 million per year not to sue the P5. Why on earth would the P5 pay that much money to the non-P5 leagues unless it felt guilty?

By the way, you didn't answer my question. Probably because you know that your solution of "wait our turn" is idiotic.

Reaction Score
You have all the answers, so what should UConn do?

While that wasn't directed at me I do agree with Bluehen that litigation is not happening. It's no secret that UConn is preparing itself, with all of its many maneuvers on the academic, endowment, research and athletic fronts, to reach an acceptable threshold for the B1G. And in the competitive world of conference footprints, the closer we get to that invite, the more attractive we will become to the ACC. There will certainly come a time for further conference movement. Our braintrust along with more rational folks at other institutions will make a difference this time. For now its our job to embrace the AAC, win and fill seats in our arenas, improve our TV ratings, enhance our image with the media---and with that success, explore and announce "rebuilds" of Gampel and expansion at the Rent. I see this as a three-five year process. In the meantime, we need to enjoy the ride and do what really counts--attend the games, contribute to the school, and hold our heads high.

Reaction Score
Actually, playing by the rules and waiting our turn is how UConn has gotten to this point. So more of the same advice seems catastrophically stupid.

Do you know anything about the history of sports over the last 40 years? Most of the major changes in professional and intercollegiate athletics have occurred as the result of litigation. The BCS exists because of litigation against the NCAA. O'Bannon is going to win his lawsuit, and that will shake things up. And someone is going to sue the BCS for the anti-competitive cartel that it is.

How do I know the P5 will lose in court? Because it is paying the non-BCS schools almost $100 million per year not to sue the P5. Why on earth would the P5 pay that much money to the non-P5 leagues unless it felt guilty?

By the way, you didn't answer my question. Probably because you know that your solution of "wait our turn" is idiotic.

See Nostical's post above for my answer to your question. It is spot on.

Reaction Score
While that wasn't directed at me I do agree with Bluehen that litigation is not happening. It's no secret that UConn is preparing itself, with all of its many maneuvers on the academic, endowment, research and athletic fronts, to reach an acceptable threshold for the B1G. And in the competitive world of conference footprints, the closer we get to that invite, the more attractive we will become to the ACC. There will certainly come a time for further conference movement. Our braintrust along with more rational folks at other institutions will make a difference this time. For now its our job to embrace the AAC, win and fill seats in our arenas, improve our TV ratings, enhance our image with the media---and with that success, explore and announce "rebuilds" of Gampel and expansion at the Rent. I see this as a three-five year process. In the meantime, we need to enjoy the ride and do what really counts--attend the games, contribute to the school, and hold our heads high.
I agree the ACC does not want us,however they don't want us to go to the B1G even. more. UConn fans who don't beat the B1g drum really don't get it.

Reaction Score
image.jpg
Greetings from Cabo

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
I agree the ACC does not want us,however they don't want us to go to the B1G even. more. UConn fans who don't beat the B1g drum really don't get it.

Exactly right. The ACC ship has sailed. We will NEVER be invited into that conference. Time for UCONN fans to turn the page (actually, the time to turn the page was when the ACC chose Pitt/Cuse/Louisville over UCONN over the years). The ACC Conference has made their choice(s) as to what direction they wanted to take going into the future so UCONN must do the same. President Herbst knows this too, hence all of the rhetoric about "research", focusing on raising our endowment, an aggressive faculty expansion, and expanding the campus and research facilities. All of this points to a real push to gain AAU acceptance and, ultimately, B1G acceptance. I think we are a much better fit for the B1G anyway where we will be aligned with like-minded universities where the focus is on athletic excellence (with the exception of Rutty of course…had to take my shot!!) AND academic achievement. Any conference that expands just by picking and choosing schools that happen to be enjoying athletic success AT THE TIME (but offer NOTHING in terms of sustained academic achievement…which is another huge money making opportunity) is not something UCONN should be associated with in the long-term. Don't get me wrong, if the ACC offered, we would likely accept just to get out of the AAC but we don't have to worry about that hypothetical because it is never happening. Athletics are cyclical and Louisville's successful cycle happened to be at the right time to convince enough ACC Presidents who, at the time, were worried about FSU, Clemson, and the other football schools were going to bolt for the B12 or SEC, to invite them. Kudos to them too. They successfully parlayed some good years of football and basketball into being invited into a power COLLEGIATE conference despite offering nothing in terms of an actual COLLEGE experience. I'm looking forward to the FSU and Clemson fans' bemoaning how awful Louisville is when the re-enter their Kragthorpe-esque era when Strong leaves and when they have to replace the aging Rick Pitino.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Exactly right. The ACC ship has sailed. We will NEVER be invited into that conference. Time for UCONN fans to turn the page (actually, the time to turn the page was when the ACC chose Pitt/Cuse/Louisville over UCONN over the years). The ACC Conference has made their choice(s) as to what direction they wanted to take going into the future so UCONN must do the same. President Herbst knows this too, hence all of the rhetoric about "research", focusing on raising our endowment, an aggressive faculty expansion, and expanding the campus and research facilities. All of this points to a real push to gain AAU acceptance and, ultimately, B1G acceptance. .....

Here's a thought, what if Pres. Herbst is just phrasing her program to improve athletics in a manner that will placate/energize the sports boosters? I feel confident that Herbst wants us to be good conference but I believe that it is secondary to her core mission of academics. Just a sense I get from time to time.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Here's a thought, what if Pres. Herbst is just phrasing her program to improve athletics in a manner that will placate/energize the sports boosters? I feel confident that Herbst wants us to be good conference but I believe that it is secondary to her core mission of academics. Just a sense I get from time to time.

As it should be. I think that Herbst has a plan for what the athletic department will look like if a P5 conference is not in our future. We as fans may not like what that looks like, but Herbst's job is to work with reality, not what the hardcore fans like us wish would happen. The academic mission is paramount. I also think that Herbst believes that a strong and improving academic profile of the school will help out all aspects of the university, including its athletics. I don't know if I think it will help, but improving the academics certainly couldn't hurt.

I have been angry at Herbst at times because of the way conference realignment has turned out, but I do think she is doing a very good job with the university overall.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
Name calling is juvenile. It is often a last resort when someone reaches a level of overwhelming frustration. BE KIND REWIND.

If you think that is name calling you have some thin skin.

Your faux outrage is not unexpected.

Reaction Score
Any time you allow a business partners to screw you out of $100M+ to spare his feelings by not suing them, you have to do it, right?

Can the Jr. High, mean girls, she likes the same boy as you, BS. They would have.made up some other reason, if the suit never happened.

If anything there should have been more lawsuits, UConn is out at minimum $12M/yr just in TV money, we should own the Univ of Pittsburgh though lien. Let's find out what ESPN said to whom and when. I bet that gets us into the ACC faster than any other thing you could dream up.

This thread was Hilarious! Good stuff!

Reaction Score
If I could go back in time I would meet up with Doug Flutie's drunken great-grandfather, pick a bar fight with him, and make sure he never had any offspring thereby relegating BC to Holy Cross status for all eternity.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom