If you could go back in time would you want UCONN to sue BC and the ACC? | Page 4 | The Boneyard

If you could go back in time would you want UCONN to sue BC and the ACC?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Folks,

Let's get off the point of this thread - it does us no good to rehash the past. I am no fan of Blumenthal and do believe harm was caused by his lawsuit, but so what?

We need to move forward and show the P-5 conferences (the B1G or ACC) that we would be an asset to such a conference. None of the old Big East conference members already placed in a P-5 conference had anything over UConn. That fact does pi$$ me off, but that won't get into real conference either. So let's stop the harangue about the lawsuit and focus on wedging UConn into a real conference and out of this purgatory. That's what UConn deserves.

Reaction Score
I find it pretty hilarious that someone could swallow the whopper that UConn got blocked from the ACC because it sued the ACC. This is a business and sophisticated companies like universities and conferences (a) understand that litigation is a part of business and (b) make business decisions based on the bottom line. UConn got screwed because the ACC thought Louisville made more sense not because of some prior squabble. The blame, to the extent some should be assigned, is on the administration's relatively recent moves or lack thereof.

The stuff about Blumenthal speaks only to the people harping on it. Blame the politician!

As an ACC fan, the lawsuit DID, and, still DOES, impact how some ACC schools view UConn.

My understanding is that the vote was a 6-6 split. UConn had the support of the four NC schools, UVA, and, Maryland. FSU and Clemson were most opposed, with BC, GT, VPI, and, Miami also voting no.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
SouthronCross said:
As an ACC fan, the lawsuit DID, and, still DOES, impact how some ACC schools view UConn.

My understanding is that the vote was a 6-6 split. UConn had the support of the four NC schools, UVA, and, Maryland. FSU and Clemson were most opposed, with BC, GT, VPI, and, Miami also voting no.

I can cite better reasons than the lawsuit for each of those schools.

FSU - Football/geography
Clemson - same
VPI - Football
Miami - Football
BC - admitted cowardice to by BC
GT - Football and maybe the NCAA drubbing in 2004.

Reaction Score
Sorry about that I'm having some technical problems. Down here in Cabo
It's about 78 today. AZ was a little cold for me.
Technically the Big East was in danger of losing the BCS bid when they dropped below the minimum requirement of 8 teams. The BCS cartel was under enough public scrutiny and didn't need any more issues, So they allowed the Big East to maintain its AQ status when they added 4 teams.
No one can prove a Quid Pro Quo or disprove for that matter.
The reality is a bad hire and an aged basketball coach had more impact than the suit.

Reaction Score
VT was one of the original litigants as Syracuse was all but gone.
no one try to sue Syracuse as they had never given assurances they would stay.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score

Replace "schools" with "fans" in your first sentence and I'll agree with you.

See a trend in those groups? One is a bunch of basketball schools, the other is a bunch of football schools (BC sucks at both). Money talks. Some old lawsuit doesn't mean squat except to people desperate for narrative.

Reaction Score
I think it probably felt great at the time for UCONN fans but was it worth it?

You guys have a weird complex about this. I think it's because you're scarred over Father Leahy lying and screwing over BC's former partners. And somebody actually had the gall to call your school on it.

This case is proof that there is no such thing as karma, and that the bad guys do in fact win.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
I don't know why BC fans think this was UConn's lawsuit. Pitt was the spearhead and, at the time, our camera hungry AG tried to co-opt the "glory". So I don't have any regrets at all.

My question to BC fans is, "Are you ready to accept that your sports programs have plummeted upon leaving the Big East to join the ACC?" That is the more relevant question at this time. Maybe your football program will get a bounce from Addazio. If UConn came along it would have been good for both of us. Instead, you got all scaredy-cat and used an excuse to shut us out.

Reaction Score
I don't know why BC fans think this was UConn's lawsuit. Pitt was the spearhead and, at the time, our camera hungry AG tried to co-opt the "glory". So I don't have any regrets at all.

And, this is why many ACC fans blame UConn. Because of Blumenthal being front and center so often. If more of them knew what you just said, it would change their minds about UConn, IMHO.

My question to BC fans is, "Are you ready to accept that your sports programs have plummeted upon leaving the Big East to join the ACC?" That is the more relevant question at this time. Maybe your football program will get a bounce from Addazio. If UConn came along it would have been good for both of us. Instead, you got all scaredy-cat and used an excuse to shut us out.

I am hoping that rational folks will prevail, and, see the value of a BC-UConn rvialry within the ACC. Yeah, BC would have quite a ways to go to be competitive with you in hoops, and, you all would need some work to get back to their level in football. But, it would be a great thing for both schools, the region, and, the league.

Reaction Score
Registered, HuskyFan, and the rest of the lawsuit critics,

I get a little tired of arguing with shadows who refuse to take a position themselves. What do you think would have happened if the Big East did not sue? Do you honestly think the other leagues would have let the Big East keep its BCS bid?
Yes. No doubt about it. Because the BCS was not about to kill the golden cow over 3 teams. Uconn was not even a consideration for the BCS at that time. As long as the BE kept 8 teams, the champ was in the BCS. No evidence or stories or tweets (not that there were tweets at that time) even remotely suggested it. The lawsuit was all about trying to inflict as much financial harm as possible on the schools that were leaving.

Reaction Score
You guys have a weird complex about this. I think it's because you're scarred over Father Leahy lying and screwing over BC's former partners. And somebody actually had the gall to call your school on it.

This case is proof that there is no such thing as karma, and that the bad guys do in fact win.
When you attempt to sue (beyond B.C. and Miami) ....the Conference commish, his A.C.C officers, and the league as a whole your asking for trouble. Ya........ Karma exists..... and in this case it bit you in the a@#. Memories are long my friend. Politicians grandstand at the expense of others and leave the mess for suckers to clean up. Your leadership at all levels blew it not thinking about the long term percussions. Also for the record for the 100th time, I am pro U Conn to the ACC, have been since day one.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
When you attempt to sue (beyond B.C. and Miami) ....the Conference commish, his A.C.C officers, and the league as a whole your asking for trouble. Ya........ Karma exists..... and in this case it bit you in the a@#. Memories are long my friend. Politicians grandstand at the expense of others and leave the mess for suckers to clean up. Your leadership at all levels blew it not thinking about the long term percussions. Also for the record for the 100th time, I am pro U Conn to the ACC, have been since day one.
Then why bring this up at all? Your skirt is showing.

Reaction Score
I think BC stands for Bull Crap
AWWWWW Shucks your just being mean.

Did you really use the term scaredy-cat....lol..........and please spare me with that tired old theory. U Conn is a fine school with a exceptional track record at striving for success. Success is not built by cutting others down that implies weakness. U Conn can stand on its own merits and should feel secure with that.

Reaction Score
Of course the cymbolism of the percussions resonates in the tympani membranes forever. One must not keep drumming this into people. Its a good thing you are the drum major for Uconn to the ACC.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
AWWWWW Shucks your just being mean.

Did you really use the term scaredy-cat....lol..........and please spare me with that tired old theory. U Conn is a fine school with a exceptional track record at striving for success. Success is not built by cutting others down that implies weakness. U Conn can stand on its own merits and should feel secure with that.

Was going to go with "fraidy-cat", actually. The OP was written by a puke and deserved a similarly pukish response.

Reaction Score
06029 said:
Of course the cymbolism of the percussions resonates in the tympani membranes forever. One must not keep drumming this into people. Its a good thing you are the drum major for Uconn to the ACC.

This was awesome. I cannot believe I'm the only one that liked it. Beating that drum never gets old.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Remind me of Mayor Wilson Goode of Philly when he had a press conference stating that he had the police blow the pillbox off the roof using a "percussion device." At the time I thought "Was it a tambourine, maybe a snare drum?"

Reaction Score
Remind me of Mayor Wilson Goode of Philly when he had a press conference stating that he had the police blow the pillbox off the roof using a "percussion device." At the time I thought "Was it a tambourine, maybe a snare drum?"

Wasn't Mayor Goode "down the shore" (well out of town) when the order to blow up the house was given? I remember he always articulated so clearly even if he was unclear of the subject matter. One year there was a buzz around a 9-year-old whiz kid distance runner named Tabitha Franks. She ran the Philadelphia Distance Run (half-marathon) and Goode used a photo op after the race to praise her. He emphasized her name several times calling her "Tabika Franco." I suppose he thought she was related to Franco Harris. That guy was two wild cards short of three-of-a-kind.

Reaction Score
Indeed, memories are long of BCU lying to and undermining its partner universities. In time, BCU's rightful place will be cemented by Leahy's hypocrisies.

Reaction Score

You obviously don't understand karma. You better hope it doesn't exist, because if it does you guys may be playing in the NESCAC where you belong.

Reaction Score
Was going to go with "fraidy-cat", actually. The OP was written by a puke and deserved a similarly pukish response.
Name calling is juvenile. It is often a last resort when someone reaches a level of overwhelming frustration. BE KIND REWIND.

Reaction Score
When you attempt to sue the Conference commish, his A.C.C officers, and the league as a whole your asking for trouble. Ya........ Karma exists..... and in this case it bit you in the a@#. Memories are long my friend.
Look, whether we want to admit it or not, the lawsuit had an inordinately negative impact on our perception by the ACC. And yes memories are long. As I've recounted before, Boeheim was "quite surprised" after his first ACC get together in Charlotte (?) at the amount of bad feelings still remaining toward UConn, brought on by Blumenthal spearheading the lawsuit, giving it a Connecticut patina. Given another school to choose for it's fraternity, the conference was understandably less inclined to welcome the guy who egged the frat house to come be a pledge at good old ACC. This isn't complicated. Personal issues still play a role. Now, however, it's time to move on. The stakes are higher and the participants have changed. I would argue the top dogs in the UConn braintrust are miles ahead of their predecessors. Hogan to Herbst, Hathaway to Manuel. The same can be said for BC, DeFillipo to Bates. Reasonable people, unburdened by personal slights, should be able to see the accretive value of UConn here. I see UConn as a valuable piece in the Northeast puzzle with it's footprint in both New England and NYC. Whichever conference acts first will create a very real Northeastern barrier to the other. Whether its the B1G or the ACC, I'm optimistic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom