If not for Bouknight... | Page 5 | The Boneyard

If not for Bouknight...

Curiouser
Reaction Score
When you’re not medically cleared you literally can’t do anything.
We were told he was practicing with the team--there was even some video of it--and that he was able to keep his cardio/legs up because the injury didn't affect that.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
We were told he was practicing with the team--there was even some video of it--and that he was able to keep his cardio/legs up because the injury didn't affect that.
Could be. I’d prefer game speed to that tho. But if what you’re saying is true then the “Bouknight is tired” narrative should be thrown out the window.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Could be. I’d prefer game speed to that tho. But if what you’re saying is true then the “Bouknight is tired” narrative should be thrown out the window.
Games are certainly different than practice, but I think he was trying to do too much and he wasn't playing smart much of the time once he returned because he was trying to make up for lost time.

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
  1. Bouknight is almost certainly declaring and going pro.
  2. He will very likely be a lotterypick
  3. Assuch, he will most likely be on an NBA roster and develop there
  4. He has trouble with the ball creating space for himself and beating good defenders off the dribble. Some of his most memorable plays were off the ball.
  5. He needs to learn that creating opportunities for others is as important as creating for himself.
All of these things can be true.

Reaction Score
It's really not that hard.
  • Bouknight had a very disappointing end to this year (Creighton and tonight) and isn't the dominant go-to player whose performance screams "ready for the next level"
  • That said, the NBA drafts on potential, he's very likely to be picked somewhere between 10 and 20, and financially he can't justify coming back on the hope that he would move up into the 5-10 range

You don't have to claim he's had a storied college career (he hasn't) or doesn't have anything to improve on (he absolutely does, especially mentally) to argue that he's not going to get drafted high (he will).

You also don't have to over-inflate what he's accomplished here (frankly, not much) to argue that he's going to get paid next year.
Bouk is going pro (and should) because it's a good business decision. However, I've always felt that players with mid-late first round talent develop faster in college than riding the bench in the NBA. You can't tell me playing 8 meaningless minutes a night for the Timberwolves is better than 40 minutes of Big East basketball in meaningful games.

Jeremy Lamb was a lottery pick, and was literally invisible for the first 4 years of his career because he needed to develop. I feel the same way about Bouk. The point is, Bouk is going pro (and should), because it's a good business decision, but will need a few years to develop (which will happen at a slower pace in the NBA, imo).

Reaction Score
Games are certainly different than practice, but I think he was trying to do too much and he wasn't playing smart much of the time once he returned because he was trying to make up for lost time.
He was also the one covering Ayala for the last 10-12 minutes of the game. Seemed like an odd decision to give him that assignment when he was playing a full 40. He did pretty well - Ayala got by him once too easily in a semi transition (maybe drew a foul). But Bouk worked pretty hard at that end down the stretch, and it would have been optimal if one of our other guys could have stepped up and stopped him so Bouk could conserve energy.

Reaction Score
I really hope Bouknight comes back next year and even plays four years he will be even better and make something out of himself. Moving on after this year I think is a mistake for him.
Six people liked this post

just lol

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Bazz and Kemba stayed in college and got better year after year. That put them in positions to lead in their championship seasons. Bouk might be a lottery pick but he could be out of the league in 3 or 4 yrs too. I don’t see a can’t miss NBAer in number 2. Best of luck to you.
Bouk is better than Kemba and Shabazz were their sophomore years. Kemba didn’t become a star until several years into his nba career. Bazz is having a nice career. They both played with nba players when they won their championships. Kemba got experience by playing with the 2009 team.

Bouk should go make money and have a nice career

Reaction Score
Thankful of Bouk helping bring back this program from the depths of Mordor. It's his decision but I hope he gets good advice though and still leave the door open to come back. I hope he's not one of those guys left in the green room because of bad advice. There's a lot more to this so it's really difficult to project now.

The draft projections are fluid. Who knows what's going to happen in the next few months. Will his draft stock rise or fall after his workouts? Who gets hurt? Which foreign player will rise? Who will declare early? Which teams are trading their draft pick?

Saying he's a top 5 pick or a top 15 pick right now is just silly. He's projected to be 8-15. #8 will get $13.1 million while #15 gets $8.9 million. Both are a lot of money and I hope he gets every single penny.

Reaction Score
The NBA often drafts on a player’s potential , and in Bouk’s case he has a ton of upside. Even though some may think he’s not ready for the NBA now- after he spends a couple years developing his game and his body with other NBA players, coaches and resources he could turn into a solid NBA player.

Reaction Score
Bouk did his job. He got us back in the Dance and proved UConn can send talent into the NBA in 2 years or less. That will only attract better prospects going forward. Every program needs these huge upside players with tons of talent that can produce (Lamb, DHam, Drum, Ray, etc), but they almost never have the IQ or leadership skills to lead or coordinate a legit title run.

If we want any shot at another title, Hurley will need to produce that next great UConn guard who emerges as a leader after 2 full years yet still flies under the NBA's radar. And that requires a special nuanced blend of scouting, recruitment, and player development that is MUCH harder to arrive at (let alone institutionalize like Calhoun did) than simply convincing top talent prospects to come play at your school.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
Bouk did his job. He got us back in the Dance and proved UConn can send talent into the NBA in 2 years or less. That will only attract better prospects going forward. Every program needs these huge upside players with tons of talent that can produce (Lamb, DHam, Drum, Ray, etc), but they almost never have the IQ or leadership skills to lead or coordinate a legit title run.

If we want any shot at another title, Hurley will need to produce that next great UConn guard who emerges as a leader after 2 full years yet still flies under the NBA's radar. And that requires a special nuanced blend of scouting, recruitment, and player development that is MUCH harder to arrive at (let alone institutionalize like Calhoun did) than simply convincing top talent prospects to come play at your school.
'If we want any shot at another title, Hurley will need to produce that next great UConn guard who emerges as a leader after 2 full years yet still flies under the NBA's radar.'
he is already here. if you have to ask 'who?' well... awwww, fughettabootit... (small hint -the only clutch free throw maker on our team this past season.)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom