If not for Bouknight... | Page 2 | The Boneyard

If not for Bouknight...

Reaction Score
Okay maybe you don’t understand the NBA. Alright I follow the NBA. I saw lottery picks that weren’t ready be drafted were are they now. I know there were going to be people like you disagreeing with me tonight that’s okay. But he isn’t ready.
James Bouknight will be 21 if he leaves for the NBA this year, 22 as a junior, 23 as a senior. That's old for a lottery pick, he's leaving

Reaction Score
I think the problem is that there's never been this great a disparity between a player's talent/NBA draft status and what they've actually accomplished when here.

Maybe Drummond is another one.

But it's valid to say:
  • Bouknight is tremendously talented, generated a lot of badly-needed buzz around the program, and his getting to the League will help immensely with recruiting
  • He was also kind of soft, not much of a leader, didn't really elevate his game or the team when we needed it most, and didn't win anything of significance

Rudy got hammered by many fans back the day. That's the closest example IMO. Called soft, never accomplished anything, tons of fans said he should return for his junior season, that he wasn't ready for the NBA.

The other key is that no UConn lottery pick had as little help as Bouknight. Even Bazz and Kemba and those miracle teams had plenty of Top 50-75 players around then. Bouk played largely with mid-major talent, Top 100-150 guys, transfers, etc. He's also not a point guard like Bazz or Kemba. Those are the players who can really carry teams. Bouk just isn't that guy.

Reaction Score
James Bouknight will be 21 if he leaves for the NBA this year, 22 as a junior, 23 as a senior. That's old for a lottery pick, he's leaving
I totally disagree with that. Why a player hits a certain age and isn’t a lottery pick. 22 as a junior your too old to be a lottery pick or 23. Your making those ages sound like 40 for got sakes. It’s okay to be 22 to 23 for a lottery pick that’s not a bad age.

Reaction Score
I totally disagree with that. Why a player hits a certain age and isn’t a lottery pick. 22 as a junior your too old to be a lottery pick or 23. Your making those ages sound like 40 for got sakes. It’s okay to be 22 to 23 for a lottery pick that’s not a bad age.
Except it's not my opinion that it's too old, you just have to look at the draft history and you can see it. At 21 he's already the oldest player projected in the lottery this year. NBA teams view the pick as an investment, and there's a lot more upside to taking a younger player development wise. But also it's the difference between them hitting FA and needing a contract extension at 26 and getting them for their prime versus 30 and just hoping you get a few years before the decline.

Reaction Score
Except it's not my opinion that it's too old, you just have to look at the draft history and you can see it. At 21 he's already the oldest player projected in the lottery this year. NBA teams view the pick as an investment, and there's a lot more upside to taking a younger player development wise. But also it's the difference between them hitting FA and needing a contract extension at 26 and getting them for their prime versus 30 and just hoping you get a few years before the decline.
I don’t care what the pattern is for nba. If he makes the lottery pick this year good for him. But what’s it’s going to do if the talent in the nba eats him up then his rookie contract just expires and no one wants him. I disagree if a player no matter the age is good and he can be a lottery pick.

Reaction Score

for some reason I don’t understand my post is going to be deleted but bouknight is a lottery pick. He just is. It’s a weird battle for you to be fighting.

Reaction Score
I don’t care what the pattern is for nba. If he makes the lottery pick this year good for him. But what’s it’s going to do if the talent in the nba eats him up then his rookie contract just expires and no one wants him. I disagree if a player no matter the age is good and he can be a lottery pick.
Then he'll take his $15M rookie contract, go to Spain and make some more good money playing basketball overseas and be set for life. Seems like a pretty good worst case scenario to me

Reaction Score
Bouk had a bad beginning at UConn & what appears to be a bad ending....but the middle was pretty special. He helped build the bridge that hopefully leads to something special.

Hope he is the lottery pick as projected...great for him and UConn.

Reaction Score
for some reason I don’t understand my post is going to be deleted but bouknight is a lottery pick. He just is. It’s a weird battle for you to be fighting.
It’s because if he is a lottery pick he won’t go far. I’m a UConn fan no matter what but I don’t see him as a lottery pick and I don’t see him as a everyday player of the nba at this point. If you think he is going to be a great NBA player great for you. I am just stating I feel like he is not ready sorry.

Reaction Score
Bouk’s got a story that he played baseball and he is physically still developing size and strength. These make him a young 21 In this bizarre draftworld where such a distinction is necessary.

Reaction Score
Then he'll take his $15M rookie contract, go to Spain and make some more good money playing basketball overseas and be set for life. Seems like a pretty good worst case scenario to me
He won’t be a lottery pick lmao get over it.

Reaction Score
Rudy got hammered by many fans back the day. That's the closest example IMO. Called soft, never accomplished anything, tons of fans said he should return for his junior season, that he wasn't ready for the NBA.

The other key is that no UConn lottery pick had as little help as Bouknight. Even Bazz and Kemba and those miracle teams had plenty of Top 50-75 players around then. Bouk played largely with mid-major talent, Top 100-150 guys, transfers, etc. He's also not a point guard like Bazz or Kemba. Those are the players who can really carry teams. Bouk just isn't that guy.
Rudy Gay won 4 NCAA Tournament games.

Reaction Score
Let’s bet. How much? Gimme the bet tonight while I’m a little drunk and will engage this dumb ____.
You don’t know what your talking about because your drunk so let’s just end it before you insult me ass ****

Reaction Score
Rudy Gay won 4 NCAA Tournament games.

And? That didn't stop the fans from trashing him.

Two of those four tournament games were against a 15 and 16 seed. Had the bad loss to 10-seed NC State. Had the bad loss to lowly Syracuse in the 06 BET, had the George Mason loss.

So many fans gave him crap and said he was a disappointment and had no legacy. Soft, a choker, not clutch, too passive, not ready for the NBA. Fans gave it all to Rudy.

Reaction Score
if I wanted to insult you I would. Back it up, what’s the bet?
The bet is he isn’t a lottery pick lmao. If you think he is a lottery pick then lottery picks aren’t that special. He needs more years in college. Trust me.

Reaction Score
The bet is he isn’t a lottery pick lmao. If you think he is a lottery pick then lottery picks aren’t that special. He needs more years in college. Trust me.

They really aren't most years. It's a complete crapshoot all the way through but usually by 7-8 you're just hoping for a rotation piece.

Reaction Score

I don’t “trust you.” I bet you he is a lottery pick. You said he’s not. What’s the bet?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom