If not for Bouknight... | Page 4 | The Boneyard

If not for Bouknight...

Reaction Score
Bouk will make a business decision to go pro (and should), and us Husky fans will cheer him on! I feel about Bouk the same way I did about Jeremy Lamb- he’s going to be a good pro, but don’t expect him to be an impact player right away. Both players would’ve been better served, from a skill development perspective, with another year in college, but I understand the business decision.

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
You don’t know what your talking about because your drunk so let’s just end it before you insult me ass ****

Take it down a notch BC. You insulted Big Ern before you even gave him a chance to insult you. And I 100% believe you're a huge UConn fan, no doubt. But, if you're not prepared to have ridiculous dialog with drunk ass*****, this may not be the place for you yet. That's advice, not a jab.

And Bouk will be a lottery pick. Bet with your head, not your heart.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I think it's important to remember that this was Bouknight's first taste of the postseason. When Kemba made his run he had already played 2 BET games and 7 NCAA tournament games. When Shabazz made his run he had already played 8 BET games and 7 NCAA tournament games. Bouknight obviously had 0 of both going into this season.

The point? It is extremely hard to carry a team in the postseason! If we constantly try to hold our best players to the standard of Shabazz and Kemba and Rip then we are going to be disappointed more often than not.

Thank you James Bouknight. Go get your money.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
This has turned out to be a relatively fun read, in a 'dumb things I do instead of going to bed' kind of way.

The least I can do is confirm that there were those who felt as @Lefty2one discussed about Rudy. I didn't hammer him, because that's not my style. I just thought he hadn't done all he could have at UConn, and I wished he'd have done more. So I didn't want him to leave, and I never thought he was all that great.

Perhaps not surprisingly, I felt similarly about Jeremy leaving after the disappointing 2012 season. Is there any surprise that I might regard James like this too?

But the clear message to someone who thinks and feels like I do and would want another year of Bouk (Hello, @Block C ) is, "Yeah, well it doesn't work that way." I think that's probably true.

"Yes, but I don't think he's ready yet to be great," may be a valid assesent as to how ready he is to be great, but that doesn't seem to be relevant in determining if a team with a lottery pick would like to draft him. If he's going to be drafted early enough to be a lottery pick, he and his advisors are likely to know this and act accordingly. And that means he won't be returning to satisfy those who'd claim, "But he has more to do at UConn."

Should I throw in a, "Yeah, but..." or two? What if my reasoning is sound? Should that override the desires of an NBA team that wants to draft and sign him this year? I doubt it.

Reaction Score
While I absolutely think Bouknight should enter the draft, he's not a sure lottery pick as of today in my opinion. Would he benefit from an extra year, probably. But injury is always a risk and could lose everything.

Reaction Score
He is projected 15
And? Projected by whom? He’s had an unfortunately small window to showcase his skills and intangibles. One underwhelming postseason is not damnable enough to dismiss the kid’s immense talent and potential.

Reaction Score
James is a great player, but I wouldn’t categorize him as an all time Husky great. Some of that has to do with the amount of games he played total as a Husky, some of it has to do with him disappearing in big spots.

Reaction Score
James is a great player, but I wouldn’t categorize him as an all time Husky great. Some of that has to do with the amount of games he played total as a Husky, some of it has to do with him disappearing in big spots.

Very similar to Andre Drummond who also played in one tournament game.

Reaction Score
Bouk had a bad beginning at UConn & what appears to be a bad ending....but the middle was pretty special. He helped build the bridge that hopefully leads to something special.

Hope he is the lottery pick as projected...great for him and UConn.
I remember Bouk being a special player in Charleston early his Freshman year but yeah he didn't become more consistent until the Tulsa game.

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score
.........we don't make the tourney. Even though we danced like Elaine, we danced, and we were rusty. Thanks to Bouk. Lets keep it in perspective, thats what we wanted. Lets not be Ohio St fans.
You are probably right. However let's go back down memory lane. Bouk goes out hurt. Our boys go on a 3 game CONFERENCE road trip. Even though the teams were bottom teams, still a huge task. If you recall, they played fantastic. I couldn't believe it. They played like a team. That is when Whaley really emerged, Polley showed us how to knock down a three. Even Adams contributed. Of course the win lose columns showed our wins with Bouk. On the other side this team went 4-4 without him. My opinion? That is pretty darn good stats when you lose your top player. Then he returns. Now it's no longer team playing it is Bouk is back. Coaches did their homework, When they shut him down, the team still leaned on him. Great ball player, but I have mixed emotions about him going to the NBA. Is Ayala(sp) in the top ten in recruiting? I don't know. He sure looked much better.

Reaction Score
Does Bouk have NBA potential? Yes
Would Bouk benefit from another year at Uconn in skill development and SnC? Yes
Is Bouk leaving for NBA this year? Yes

Reaction Score
Bouknight can't just get praise when he does well and then nothing when he plays poorly. It comes with the territory. Yeah he's a great player with the potential to be a star at the next level but clearly not at this moment. He deserves the criticism right now, maybe it will do him some good. He is way to soft mentally, his free throw shooting last night is proof. Maybe right now he needs a reality check and some tough live. Someone needs to tell him the truth about where he is right now and the next level. A lot of times these kids just have people hanging around them telling them whatever they want to hear. I really love him and his game but he needs to ask himself do I want to be a G league player for a few years and then maybe excell at the NBA, or do I want to become a very special player with a long career.

Reaction Score
Bouknight has NBA skills now. Would an extra year at UConn help has draft status? On today's game, how does one truly know? Some kids' games transfer well to league play, plain and simple. Their #'s aren't big yet they have the ability to carve out a niche on the League. When he was evaluated last year at this time he was advised to stay a year. He did improve a lot. Nobody could stop him, but that injury slowed him a bit this year, clearly. I think it all comes down to how he gets evaluated in private warm ups.
Now, IMO 1 more year...and only 1 more year, would absolutely help him, BUT, here's the bigger issue. We've recruited his position in anticipation of him leaving. We've got egos to stroke. We'd have a plethora of backcourt for one more season. Who'd be willing to be Richie Springs 2.0 back there? These kids come in all hyped up by our fanbase (who by the way talks way too much sugar honey ? iced tea BEFORE we've proven anything. It's insane how much trash we talk and haven't proven ANYTHING under Hurley yet... no rings, conference or tourney level...nothing.. never saw that as an alumn or fan when my hay day started post NIT Tourney championship in '88)

In all, it'd be nice to see him stay another year. He's a part of the overhaul, the redevelopment of UConn Basketball ?, what Hurley has developed here. Would love to see him help get us a ring next year, while developing a little more mentally maturing a little more as well. Pretty sure he'd like to help his family, but a little patience, humility would definitely help. The real world is a different story. It ain't no joke.

Reaction Score
I love the mantra from some in the chat room last night. Bouk is so bad I really hope he comes back. Well, I don’t. I hope Bouk gets picked in the the top 10. If I were a GM, I would do so without hesitation. He is that talented. Sure, he wasn’t the same after the injury but maybe because he rushed back. That shouldn’t be a knock on the limitless potential this kid has. To me, it never seemed Bouk was a 100%. Even then, he still was always the most talented kid in the floor. In every game we played.

Reaction Score
He did?
Just a guess. Not trying to make excuses for the kid, but at the very least he never found his legs which would suggest he never was given the chance to get back in basketball shape. Getting clearance from the medical staff to play is a lot different then being ready to play.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Just a guess. Not trying to make excuses for the kid, but at the very least he never found his legs which would suggest he never was given the chance to get back in basketball shape. Getting clearance from the medical staff to play is a lot different then being ready to play.
I agree with you on basketball shape. He basically took a month and change off. I’m in the camp he should’ve came back sooner, so he wouldn’t have lost his stamina.

But also, we’ll be a better team without him next year. He’s got to go but I’m worried the last few weeks of the season hurt his draft stock.

Reaction Score
I agree with you on basketball shape. He basically took a month and change off. I’m in the camp he should’ve came back sooner, so he wouldn’t have lost his stamina.

But also, we’ll be a better team without him next year. He’s got to go but I’m worried the last few weeks of the season hurt his draft stock.
Interesting point on coming back sooner. I never thought of it like that. Maybe you are right.

Anyway, the NBA selects on potential. Nothing over the last few weeks changed that.

CTBasketball

Reaction Score
Interesting point on coming back sooner. I never thought of it like that. Maybe you are right.

Anyway, the NBA selects on potential. Nothing over the last few weeks changed that.
If UConn doctors were the ones clearing him, I bet they would’ve OK’d him for spot minutes 2-4 weeks after the surgery just so he wouldn’t sit on a shelf. When you’re not medically cleared you literally can’t do anything.

Agree on the NBA Draft. But I think some places at his peak had him in the 5-10/high lottery, but now I’m thinking he’s between picks 10-20. Have to make your FTs!

Reaction Score
If UConn doctors were the ones clearing him, I bet they would’ve OK’d him for spot minutes 2-4 weeks after the surgery just so he wouldn’t sit on a shelf. When you’re not medically cleared you literally can’t do anything.

Agree on the NBA Draft. But I think some places at his peak had him in the 5-10/high lottery, but now I’m thinking he’s between picks 10-20. Have to make your FTs!
He shot over 80% for the year. Again, yesterday I assume it was a fatigue thing. I believe he played the entire game or close to it, constantly being double and triple teamed. Honest question, although he didn't deliver with his performance, name a UConn player who was working harder on the offensive end? To me, for the most part, it seemed that he was trying hard to spring free, while Martin, Cole, Gaffney, Whaley or whoever just stood still there watching.

Reaction Score
Bouk will make a business decision to go pro (and should), and us Husky fans will cheer him on! I feel about Bouk the same way I did about Jeremy Lamb- he’s going to be a good pro, but don’t expect him to be an impact player right away. Both players would’ve been better served, from a skill development perspective, with another year in college, but I understand the business decision.
It's really not that hard.
  • Bouknight had a very disappointing end to this year (Creighton and tonight) and isn't the dominant go-to player whose performance screams "ready for the next level"
  • That said, the NBA drafts on potential, he's very likely to be picked somewhere between 10 and 20, and financially he can't justify coming back on the hope that he would move up into the 5-10 range

You don't have to claim he's had a storied college career (he hasn't) or doesn't have anything to improve on (he absolutely does, especially mentally) to argue that he's not going to get drafted high (he will).

You also don't have to over-inflate what he's accomplished here (frankly, not much) to argue that he's going to get paid next year.

CTBasketball

Reaction Score
He shot over 80% for the year. Again, yesterday I assume it was a fatigue thing. I believe he played the entire game or close to it, constantly being double and triple teamed. Honest question, although he didn't deliver with his performance, name a UConn player who was working harder on the offensive end? To me, for the most part, it seemed that he was trying hard to spring free, while Martin, Cole, Gaffney, Whaley or whoever just stood still there watching.
He was definitely pushing it to the max. But I think Bouknight could’ve benefitted from being benched in the 1H for a minute or two at the start. It was clear Maryland’s D was bothering him. There was no adapting to it - he kept trying to go 100% at the double teams.

He actually had Cole, Gaffney, and Whaley wide open on multiple consecutive possessions late in the game and he didn’t even see it. He was locked in and trying to will this team to a W. If the ball bounces differently next time maybe this is a W and we’re celebrating.

Reaction Score
I remember Bouk being a special player in Charleston early his Freshman year but yeah he didn't become more consistent until the Tulsa game.
I meant the whole car thing as the bad beginning at UConn, but he certainly played very well later as a freshman

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom