I was embarrassed by some UConn fans tonight | Page 4 | The Boneyard

I was embarrassed by some UConn fans tonight

Reaction Score
I really wanted Kevin Ollie to succeed as head coach of UConn, my Alma Mater and the team that I have been watching since 1980 or so. But I am not seeing much if anything that makes me optimistic that KO will turn things around.

I would love to know what the relative handful of guys who still believe KO is "The guy" are basing that on. I don't condone poor sportsmanship or the booing of your own team and I never will. But I certainly understand the frustration of the fanbase, as they have watched the program fall off a cliff over the past 3 plus seasons. Things have gotten to the point where I cannot see the same head coach turning things around. That said, I am open to rational discussion by those who see things differently. I just don't think the handful of dissenters have much to work with at this point.

Reaction Score
Let me be clear, we had a lot of support and most of the fans were supportive of the team. I thought a young and experienced and newly formed team played well after an awful start. They rallied, we cheered, and most of us were there to have a good time.

There were 6 or so "fans" sitting a few rows behind me that made me sick. They mocked Ollie throughout the game, yelling stuff like "take the stairs Ollie" and great call Ollie or nice clapping Ollie. They also hurled insults towards our players.

Then on the way out and onto to street I was near about 10 younger "fans" who did nothing but mock our kids and our program, and did so at the top of their lungs. probably drank too much.

Seriously, I would rather interact with Cuse fans than UConn fans like that. They're an embarrassment to our fan-base.

But I do want to thank them for one thing, they proved to me how wrong they are. they have no clue what's going on with the program, they have no idea we're rebuilding. they're just full of anger and hate.

PS: If that's how you're going to behave, STAY HOME, nobody wants you there. Not the team, and not your fellow fan-base and nobody else sitting there and observing such vulgar behavior either.

They have a right to be mad.. We are not in a P5, Ollie has been awful and the team sucks...

Reaction Score
I really wanted Kevin Ollie to succeed as head coach of UConn, my Alma Mater and the team that I have been watching since 1980 or so. But I am not seeing much if anything that makes me optimistic that KO will turn things around.

I would love to know what the relative handful of guys who still believe KO is "The guy" are basing that on. I don't condone poor sportsmanship or the booing of your own team and I never will. But I certainly understand the frustration of the fanbase, as they have watched the program fall off a cliff over the past 3 plus seasons. Things have gotten to the point where I cannot see the same head coach turning things around. That said, I am open to rational discussion by those who see things differently. I just don't think the handful of dissenters have much to work with at this point.

Again? Really? LOL

temery

What?
Reaction Score
Maybe that’s how you were raised, but I wasn’t raised that way. I am not, and will not be content with this product on the court (shed). This is UConn, a 4 time National championship team since 1999 more than any other school in the country since then. Why would I want to settle for a freaking shed? We just won a National championship in 2014, why are some of you claiming we’re are rebuilding? If we are REBUILDING in “2017” with the same head coach that’s been here for 6 years already that should speak volume. Ollie is not the guy, and I will voice that at the games if I please, whether you like it or not. I’m passionate about my UConn team and I want and expect greatness from them, nothing less.

You are now on step one of AA, and the first A isn’t for “Alcoholics.” It has nothing to do with settling, it has to do with being a decent human being.

Reaction Score
You are now on step one of AA, and the first A isn’t for “Alcoholics.” It has nothing to do with settling, it has to do with being a decent human being.

Lol... if you say so

Reaction Score
Answer my question. What makes you optimistic that KO can turn things around?

Yeah ok bass :rolleyes: This is a thread by you to see how many people are with you that's all nothing more. This has been a consistent theme since the summer for you, we know where you stand stop the insanity at some point and get a new needle on that LP player will ya.

Reaction Score
If this is surprising behavior you must not go to football games much.
I went to the UConn v BC at Fenway & was very impressed with loyalty of football fans that were there to have a good time & enjoy the game knowing that they'd have to cheer for small victories. There was some sad-to-unacceptable resignation in current fate, but that was voiced locally. I was impressed how everyone cheered the plays and kept the disappointment limited to those around them.

Reaction Score
Yeah ok bass :rolleyes: This is a thread by you to see how many people are with you that's all nothing more. This has been a consistent theme since the summer for you, we know where you stand stop the insanity at some point and get a new needle on that LP player will ya.

I have invited rational discussion. What do you base your optimism on? That's a fair question, but you always sidestep it.

Reaction Score
I have invited rational discussion. What do you base your optimism on? That's a fair question, but you always sidestep it.

I never sidestep bass. Read all of my stuff today do I sound like guy that's happy or confident in things under the current regime or as I would expect are you only reading the "Fire Ollie" threads? You're pitiful you really are. No one has to directly say I give up plenty are very concerned but aren't going to be YOU, but you have been like this for 2 years so once again as I have said and these posts prove me right, you are so happy this situation supposedly makes your predictions look good.

Enjoy the answers, hope they're what you're looking for in your survey.

Athlete94

UCONNGRD
Reaction Score
Let me be clear, we had a lot of support and most of the fans were supportive of the team. I thought a young and experienced and newly formed team played well after an awful start. They rallied, we cheered, and most of us were there to have a good time.

There were 6 or so "fans" sitting a few rows behind me that made me sick. They mocked Ollie throughout the game, yelling stuff like "take the stairs Ollie" and great call Ollie or nice clapping Ollie. They also hurled insults towards our players.

Then on the way out and onto to street I was near about 10 younger "fans" who did nothing but mock our kids and our program, and did so at the top of their lungs. probably drank too much.

Seriously, I would rather interact with Cuse fans than UConn fans like that. They're an embarrassment to our fan-base.

But I do want to thank them for one thing, they proved to me how wrong they are. they have no clue what's going on with the program, they have no idea we're rebuilding. they're just full of anger and hate.

PS: If that's how you're going to behave, STAY HOME, nobody wants you there. Not the team, and not your fellow fan-base and nobody else sitting there and observing such vulgar behavior either.
I’m sorry I was at the game too. This was probably the first time where UCONN fans seemed so deflated, really not a lot to cheer about.. Ollie is not a bad guy.. actually the opposite.. ITS CLEAR he’s not a great head coach, at least his style isn’t a good fit for college. At some point and some point soon, something will give. Everyone has that feeling now that was felt when Football was at a turning point that change was needed and coming. The AD has to know and feel that too.

Reaction Score
I never sidestep bass. Read all of my stuff today do I sound like guy that's happy or confident in things under the current regime or as I would expect are you only reading the "Fire Ollie" threads? You're pitiful you really are. No one has to directly say I give up plenty are very concerned but aren't going to be YOU, but you have been like this for 2 years so once again as I have said and these posts prove me right, you are so happy this situation supposedly makes your predictions look good.

Enjoy the answers, hope they're what you're looking for in your survey.

So basically, you got nothing.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
Give Ollie a chance? He’s had 6 years dude lol don’t you think that maybe what happened to the roster and coaching pool was maybe because of Ollie? But you want to give home a chance? His players never progress and are never consistent. Forget about giving him a chance. What are you waiting for? Lol until he brings UConns brand to the ground then you’ll love to see him go? Why wait until then? I’m not saying to fire him now, but if this product continues we need a new coach period.

so you're saying you're giving him a chance but we shouldn't give him a chance?

Reaction Score

Being a fan and yelling (no profanity) at a head coach making 3+million a year means you're not a decent human being. Get a grip man! Its a basket game, you might be taking yourself a little too seriously.

Reaction Score
I'm embarrassed by UCONN fans everyday. This board makes me sick and has seriously caused me to enjoy UCONN basketball less than when i didn't frequent it.

BlueandOG

We are not amused.
Reaction Score
Hopefully that gets echoed at Gample & XL?! Why? Write a letter to the AD or don't show up, but hoping and planning on booing the coach or team at the game doesn't seem like a viable fix-it strategy. Again, if you fire Ollie today are we better or worse now - April?

What are the 'honored' ways that fan reaction gets attention of boosters and ADs? Examples please especially I'd love to hear the honors bestowed on the complainers. Do you really think you need to boo UConn & Ollie to get the attention of the boosters paying for seats and not using them?! Results are all that matters ultimately, so I suppose the logic is creating a negative environment for the team swirls the team (and Ollie with it) to the bottom of the bowl quicker - damn the consequences.
One example is Tennessee not hiring Greg Schiano for head football coach based on fan outrage. Not only that, UT fired the AD for his poor judgment for considering Schiano based on fan outrage. Fans = revenue. This is a business. The university leaders listen and respond. If not NCAA this year, KO will GO.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
I'm embarrassed by UCONN fans everyday. This board makes me sick and has seriously caused me to enjoy UCONN basketball less than when i didn't frequent it.

Go venture into diehard sports boards of any team you can think of around the world, I'm sure you'll find the same thing. Diehard sports fans are passionate and sometimes horrible people.

Reaction Score
One example is Tennessee not hiring Greg Schiano for head football coach based on fan outrage. Not only that, UT fired the AD for his poor judgment for considering Schiano based on fan outrage. Fans = revenue. This is a business. The university leaders listen and respond. If not NCAA this year, KO will GO.
I think we are talking about different things unless Tenn fans chanted 'Don't hire Schiano' amidst booing their team. Obviously there are a multitude of examples of fan based or motivated coach firings and some unnecessary lynchings (Dean Smith dummy, literally) and its typically a cocktail of attendance, donations & general fan voices behavior. But pretty clear that displays of anger at game is lowest on the effectiveness scale to be agents of change.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
Students off limits agreed, But yelling Ollie stinks makes me a bad person. Some people are so soft its EMBARRASSING!

Read the OP. Yelling something to Ollie is not the same as doing so all game to Ollie and players. It has nothing to do with being soft, it has to do with being a decent human being and not wanting to ruin the experience for the other fans.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
Here's my personal belief. You don't boo the kids. You never boo the kids because they are are still young, largely immature and they take their direction from the well paid adults who coach them. I don't even like to see the kids put down on a message board. Even when the coach is a complete jackwagon (see PP and BD) I still won't boo because the kids will think I'm booing them. You got issues with someone being paid and not performing their job, you take it up with their boss.

I've never gone to UConn (took some classes at Stamford back in the day) and began rooting for the team in 79 when the Big East formed. I listened on crappy radios to ICC and watched snowy televisions to the old channel 20. In those nearly 40 years I have had more thrills, seen so many great plays and so many great players. I've been able to watch four great runs to the NC. This program doesn't owe me anything. In the old days of the BY we always said we wouldn't want to be like the fans of other programs if we won multiple titles and guess what? We are. I'm not telling anybody how to root or be a good fan or any of that crap. What I'm saying is to the old timers, don't forget what it was like before JC, before 99. For the newcomers, be grateful you've experienced nothing but success. All good things come to an end and if this is the end? Let's go out th some dignity and some gratitude. We've been very lucky.

Reaction Score
So basically, you got nothing.

Not for you, read my other posts why would I even think of answering your crap? You've had it all figured out for a long time, take a fn bow.

Reaction Score
Read the OP. Yelling something to Ollie is not the same as doing so all game to Ollie and players. It has nothing to do with being soft, it has to do with being a decent human being and not wanting to ruin the experience for the other fans.

I see where you're coming from, obviously no profanity and yelling anything all game would drive those nuts around you. That doesn't mean you cant voice your opinion on the coach during the game and maintain a decent standing as a human being.

This whole embarrassing thing by itself is soft. Every struggling team has fans that will do this, its not only UConn. Why does anyone need to feel embarrassed for another adult. If you don't like it tell them to STFU or like Willi you can come whine on a message board.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RollSkis

Top Bottom