I was embarrassed by some UConn fans tonight | Page 2 | The Boneyard

I was embarrassed by some UConn fans tonight

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
While tact is something that is usually found lacking once beer and bravado are infused, the message however is loud and clear: Kevin Ollie has lost the respect of a large portion of the UCONN fanbase.

Hopefully that sentiment gets echoed at Gampel and XL this winter as warranted, because it shouldn't take a weatherman to tell which way the wind blows.

horrible, absolutely horrible, and that won't be good for the program either

that's just bad taste and bad judgement, that's not part of any solution

Reaction Score
horrible, absolutely horrible, and that won't be good for the program either

that's just bad taste and bad judgement, that's not part of any solution

Fan reaction is a time-honored way to get the attention of boosters and athletic directors. You might not like how the proles communicate, but their method usually gets results.

Reaction Score
Let me be clear, we had a lot of support and most of the fans were supportive of the team. I thought a young and experienced and newly formed team played well after an awful start. They rallied, we cheered, and most of us were there to have a good time.

There were 6 or so "fans" sitting a few rows behind me that made me sick. They mocked Ollie throughout the game, yelling stuff like "take the stairs Ollie" and great call Ollie or nice clapping Ollie. They also hurled insults towards our players.

PS: If that's how you're going to behave, STAY HOME, nobody wants you there. Not the team, and not your fellow fan-base and nobody else sitting there and observing such vulgar behavior either.

They mixed their comments about players and Ollie with the concerns that UConn wasn't going to cover on their bet on the game. I agree that I was embarrassed by their behavior.

Reaction Score
My daughter is a freshman at the University of Dayton. That city supports their basketball team no matter what. I was floored when I found out they sold out for their exhibition games - both men and women teams!! And UD Arena holds about 13,500 and is slightly off campus (about 2 miles). They are in a similar non P5 conference. They are rebuilding after losing Miller to Indiana and the team is bad hovering around .500. And yet you can't get a ticket for any home game. We can barely draw 4K for our beloved Huskies. The northeast fanbase sux. If you are not winning a national championship, we wont' support you. Heck even the years winning national championships our fanbase has been embarrassing at times.

Last edited:

willie99

Reaction Score
Fan reaction is a time-honored way to get the attention of boosters and athletic directors. You might not like how the proles communicate, but their method usually gets results.

OK, we're just going to have to agree to disagree, I don't think the time for dissent is here and now, and certainly not at MSG.

Good and smart people can and do disagree, and I respect respectful dissent

Reaction Score
Someone burns down your beautiful house.

He then starts to build you what looks to be a shed where the house once stood. It’s not even a very nice shed and it looks like it’s going to take him forever to figure out how to finish it.

Some people might not be so anxious to see how the shed turns out.

This is something you’re going to have get your mind around if you intend on interacting with other UConn fans going forward - they want the house back.

You guys don’t get it...TINY HOUSES are all the rage right now. The millenials don’t want a big beautiful house, they want a crappy shed!

Reaction Score
Let me be clear, we had a lot of support and most of the fans were supportive of the team. I thought a young and experienced and newly formed team played well after an awful start. They rallied, we cheered, and most of us were there to have a good time.

There were 6 or so "fans" sitting a few rows behind me that made me sick. They mocked Ollie throughout the game, yelling stuff like "take the stairs Ollie" and great call Ollie or nice clapping Ollie. They also hurled insults towards our players.

Then on the way out and onto to street I was near about 10 younger "fans" who did nothing but mock our kids and our program, and did so at the top of their lungs. probably drank too much.

Seriously, I would rather interact with Cuse fans than UConn fans like that. They're an embarrassment to our fan-base.

But I do want to thank them for one thing, they proved to me how wrong they are. they have no clue what's going on with the program, they have no idea we're rebuilding. they're just full of anger and hate.

PS: If that's how you're going to behave, STAY HOME, nobody wants you there. Not the team, and not your fellow fan-base and nobody else sitting there and observing such vulgar behavior either.
You are unfortunately addressing this post to those same people. They just hide behind a keyboard here instead. It's a bad look, in the arena and here.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
This doesn't make sense to me. Fans should cheer and support regardless of results on the court? That is an average way to think. UConn MBB isn't average/shouldn't accept average if you are trying to say we should accept average then yeah we shouldn't boo or complain we should support regardless of whatever happens.

Reaction Score
I am sorry, while I dont believe in denigrating the players, KO and the state/direction of the program are fair game. Before games, during games and after games. The guy is paid top dollar to deliver results and he is not delivering. Spare me the be true to your school schtick. This became a results business a long time ago and a lot of fan dollars ago. If the university wants to milk the fan base like an ATM, then we have a right to let our feelings be known when we are unhappy. Games are where fans are able to do that, for better or for worse. This isnt some 3rd grade team where everybody gets a trophy for trying hard. Get real.

Reaction Score
Can't stand the fans that boo or berate our team. It's counterproductive. I share the frustration. Hearing that at the games just makes me want to throat punch some of our fans!
I hope people were not saying derogatory things about the players, I would agree that's not fair. My guess is folks were venting frustration with the coach we're wasting millions of dollars on. KO was great as a 2 year "bridge" guy but it is becoming abundantly clear he's not up for running a (once) power program. I wish KO was "the guy" but I haven't seen anything in the past 3 plus years to justify that hope...........so please boo away at KO, I know I do when I watch this team nowadays.

Reaction Score
Seriously?

entirely new roster, decent recruits salvaged very late in the game this year and next year's class off to a good start?

after gutting the team at the end of last season?

by the very definition of rebuilding, that's rebuilding loud and clear and it's really hard to miss (or maybe I should say "it should be hard to miss")
Decent recruits salvaged this year? I must be missing those as I see Atlantic 10 talent out there besides Jalen. Things will get uglier before improving with a new direction for the program. KO's days are numbered.

Reaction Score
getting on KO is OK. Getting on players getting poor coaching or having less talent - not ok.

If folks still attend games and don't express dissatisfaction with KO and his assistants, why should the the AD make a change?

Reaction Score
This doesn't make sense to me. Fans should cheer and support regardless of results on the court? That is an average way to think. UConn MBB isn't average/shouldn't accept average if you are trying to say we should accept average then yeah we shouldn't boo or complain we should support regardless of whatever happens.
The subtle point, I think the OP is making; cheer and support the team during the games at the venue. Personally, I feel you are welcome to jeer at home watching in private or even in public on this forum, but it is bad judgement to do so at games especially in front of neutral's and opposing fans.

Reaction Score
entirely new roster, decent recruits salvaged very late in the game this year and next year's class off to a good start?

by the very definition of rebuilding, that's rebuilding loud and clear and it's really hard to miss (or maybe I should say "it should be hard to miss")
Look, no offense but KO has been "rebuilding" since 14 championship and product has gotten worse & worse. I think we have some useful pieces in Carlton, Diarra & Polley for the future, the transfers are stop-gaps that will be gone, JA & TL are gone most likely, Vital is a 6th man type, exactly who are the studs on the roster or recruits coming that will change the trajectory..........Wilson & Akinjo are fine but why will it be better next year with them replacing JA & TL? We are treading water at best while the ship is sinking.

Reaction Score

Then on the way out and onto to street I was near about 10 younger "fans" who did nothing but mock our kids and our program, and did so at the top of their lungs. probably drank too much.

Seriously, I would rather interact with Cuse fans than UConn fans like that. They're an embarrassment to our fan-base.

But I do want to thank them for one thing, they proved to me how wrong they are. they have no clue what's going on with the program, they have no idea we're rebuilding. they're just full of anger and hate.

Yeah I'm embarrassed too, of how Ollie is driving this program into the ground. You better STAY HOME because this is just the start of what Ollie will be getting when hes getting blown out at home in the AAC.

When does the rebuilding stop??? How many years does UConn need to finish in the middle of the AAC??? This team isn't even competitive versus a good team. Maybe one day when your hopes and prayers are answered about Ollie being a good coach you'll be able to prove someone is wrong.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
they need to grow up and get some balance in their life

and every single time a legend retires there's going to be an adjustment period, that's just life, so maybe it's time to get real

I admire your tenacity and agree with you about fan behavior. But I hate to repeat that KOs teams, including the NC team that hides the overall nature of his teams, is a consistent lack of consistency both in execution and, even more telling, intensity. Last night was typical. Fought like crazy starting with about 11 minutes left. The change in intensity between that and the first 29 minutes is too noticeable.

That is not a this year thing, or a last year thing. It’s been an every year thing, masked by the great NC run for which KO certainly deserves credit. The lack of a sound idea on playing O is not new nor is the off and on defensive awareness and intensity. I hope it changes very soon.

A shed with a leaky roof is not an acceptable shed, if a shed be KO’s ceiling, so to speak. A young team that shows little evidence of basketball execution is not a good sign, growing pains and all.

willie99

Reaction Score
why do people think Larrier sucks AND is leaving for the NBA?

why do people think Jalen is a lock to leave?

our program is going to be a dumpster fire AND two players who are not on draft boards are going to somehow both get drafted and at levels that guarantees they're leaving!!!!!!!!!!!!

how on earth does one reason with that?

they're so invested in writing off Ollie and the Huskies, they even take inherently inconsistent if not incompatible positions

Reaction Score
why do people think Larrier sucks AND is leaving for the NBA? why do people think Jalen is a lock to leave?
our program is going to be a dumpster fire AND two players who are not on draft boards are going to somehow both get drafted and at levels that guarantees they're leaving!!!!!!!!!!!!
how on earth does one reason with that? they're so invested in writing off Ollie and the Huskies, they even take inherently inconsistent if not incompatible positions
Do really think Larrier wants to stay next year? No, he doesn't look like an NBA player but he can make money somewhere before he's in his mid-20's....which is soon. Who knows, maybe Jalen stays for 1 more year but if it's the same garbage why would he? This is year 6 of KO, why is he still "re-building"? Is this the absolute bottom or do we have to keep digging?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom