I was embarrassed by some UConn fans tonight | Page 3 | The Boneyard

I was embarrassed by some UConn fans tonight

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
why do people think Larrier sucks AND is leaving for the NBA?

why do people think Jalen is a lock to leave?

our program is going to be a dumpster fire AND two players who are not on draft boards are going to somehow both get drafted and at levels that guarantees they're leaving!!!!!!!!!!!!

how on earth does one reason with that?

they're so invested in writing off Ollie and the Huskies, they even take inherently inconsistent if not incompatible positions

Have you been a sleep for the last few years of college basketball? People leave early all the time even though they aren't guaranteed to be drafted into a position that ensures that they make an NBA team.

Reaction Score
No AD listens to the "fans" I heard last night and the "fans" I'm talking about

But law enforcement and security do

ADs listen to checkbooks and checkbooks are owned by the fans and alumni. Knock it off. The heat is being turned up on the entire athletic department. If you think the fan base has no influence on what athletic departments do these days you're drunk. Do you think AD Dave liked sitting there with his wife amidst a fire storm of displeased UConn fans? He is hearing it loud and clear. He has shown he is not tone deaf. He wont act impulsively but he feels UConn nation right now and that's a start to action

Reaction Score
While tact is something that is usually found lacking once beer and bravado are infused, the message however is loud and clear: Kevin Ollie has lost the respect of a large portion of the UCONN fanbase.

Hopefully that sentiment gets echoed at Gampel and XL this winter as warranted, because it shouldn't take a weatherman to tell which way the wind blows. AND Fan reaction is a time-honored way to get the attention of boosters and athletic directors. You might not like how the proles communicate, but their method usually gets results."
Hopefully that gets echoed at Gample & XL?! Why? Write a letter to the AD or don't show up, but hoping and planning on booing the coach or team at the game doesn't seem like a viable fix-it strategy. Again, if you fire Ollie today are we better or worse now - April?

What are the 'honored' ways that fan reaction gets attention of boosters and ADs? Examples please especially I'd love to hear the honors bestowed on the complainers. Do you really think you need to boo UConn & Ollie to get the attention of the boosters paying for seats and not using them?! Results are all that matters ultimately, so I suppose the logic is creating a negative environment for the team swirls the team (and Ollie with it) to the bottom of the bowl quicker - damn the consequences.

Last edited:

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
Heckling them while they build your shed only means you’ll get a crappier shed. I have no respect whatsoever for anyone who talks trash to their own team while at a game. I understand their frustration, but it makes no sense.
No matter how you feel inside you don't act out like that at a game if you are really a fan. Save it, even for the BY, but not a game.

Reaction Score
While tact is something that is usually found lacking once beer and bravado are infused, the message however is loud and clear: Kevin Ollie has lost the respect of a large portion of the UCONN fanbase.

Hopefully that sentiment gets echoed at Gampel and XL this winter as warranted, because it shouldn't take a weatherman to tell which way the wind blows.
As long as fans pay the bills, then they have every damn right under the sun to express their dissatisfaction. I would expect cheering and respect for the kids, but the notion Kevin Ollie is entitled to a free pass while collecting a big paycheck because he's KO is baloney. The guy blew it. The program is a mess, and he's not entitled to any benefit of the doubt at this point.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
As long as fans pay the bills, then they have every damn right under the sun to express their dissatisfaction. I would expect cheering and respect for the kids, but the notion Kevin Ollie is entitled to a free pass while collecting a big paycheck because he's KO is baloney. The guy blew it. The program is a mess, and he's not entitled to any benefit of the doubt at this point.

Not at a game. Never at a game.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Heckling them while they build your shed only means you’ll get a crappier shed. I have no respect whatsoever for anyone who talks trash to their own team while at a game. I understand their frustration, but it makes no sense.
I'm with @The Funster, @noeynox, @HuskyHawk, and anyone else who liked @Fishy's post as well as this one. Reality & respect don't hang out much with each other these days.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
You guys don’t get it...TINY HOUSES are all the rage right now. The millenials don’t want a big beautiful house, they want a crappy shed!
Or, more healthily, a balanced, right-sized life that meets genuine needs and is sustainable and perhaps has a cooperatively owned snowblower that is stored accessibly for all its users.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
If this is surprising behavior you must not go to football games much.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I'm with @The Funster, @noeynox, @HuskyHawk, and anyone else who liked @Fishy's post as well as this one. Reality & respect don't hang out much with each other these days.

Civility is a lost art. Whatever any fan may feel he or she is owed by the program (which is nothing) or however disgruntled they may be by the state of our rebuilding...I'd call it a nice raised ranch, not a shed...saying the things reported as being said at a game is rude, obnoxious and uncalled for. Cheer the team or leave.

Quite honestly, apart from the slow start, I thought the guys played hard most of the game, and the ball movement was much better than it has been all season. They were facing a slightly more talented team that is now 7-1 and a set of referees who did them no favors. It was far from an embarrassing loss.

Reaction Score
Love the "well we have a brand new team this year" crowd. Like it's not the head coach's fault players couldn't stand him and left. To still defend this guy with all the smoke around him is insane. But hey, make a thread about heckling fans who are more than likely going to be the last ones actually supporting this program because from the looks of it there aren't many left.

Reaction Score
I too was embarrassed .

DQXliVyXcAARgAi.jpg

Reaction Score
People need to understand,. Its not just the losing. Its how we play. We play an uninspired, lazy, sloppy, just downright awful brand of basketball.

Nobody can shoot. Nobody boxes out or rebounds. No ball movement. Bad passing. Dumb mistakes over and over. This has been going on for years. It is just horrible basketball.

If we were losing, but our players were giving 100% and actually playing something resembling real basketball, I don't think we would be seeing the same reaction.

Basketball is entertainment. Watching us play offers zero entertainment. Its a chore and something that feels like an obligation.

Reaction Score
When your choices are a shed or a crappy shed, take the shed. Staying at a game to complain is ridiculous, and counter productive - shut up, or leave the game.

Maybe that’s how you were raised, but I wasn’t raised that way. I am not, and will not be content with this product on the court (shed). This is UConn, a 4 time National championship team since 1999 more than any other school in the country since then. Why would I want to settle for a freaking shed? We just won a National championship in 2014, why are some of you claiming we’re are rebuilding? If we are REBUILDING in “2017” with the same head coach that’s been here for 6 years already that should speak volume. Ollie is not the guy, and I will voice that at the games if I please, whether you like it or not. I’m passionate about my UConn team and I want and expect greatness from them, nothing less.

Reaction Score
Does anyone around here know what happened to this team last year? do any of you? Do any of you remember what our roster looked like 6 months ago? Do any of you remember how many kids transferred AFTER year end meetings with coach? Do any of you know how they salvaged some hope for this season with the players they recruited since then? Do any of you see the step up in recruiting since then? Do any of you remember Ollie knew he had to press the reset button after last year? Do all of you not really see the difference in the team's effort this year?

Shocking I have to start from step one with so many people.

Give Ollie a chance to implement his changes, he's not going anywhere for the foreseeable future anyhow.

Fans can be disappointed and want more, I fully understand and appreciate that, but to behave like I witnessed is despicable.

And, as I mentioned in the OP, most UConn fans in the building supported their team. So let me be perfectly clear about that too so that the haters don't think the UConn basketball world is in their corner.

Give Ollie a chance? He’s had 6 years dude lol don’t you think that maybe what happened to the roster and coaching pool was maybe because of Ollie? But you want to give home a chance? His players never progress and are never consistent. Forget about giving him a chance. What are you waiting for? Lol until he brings UConns brand to the ground then you’ll love to see him go? Why wait until then? I’m not saying to fire him now, but if this product continues we need a new coach period.

Reaction Score
Maybe that’s how you were raised, but I wasn’t raised that way. I am not, and will not be content with this product on the court (shed). This is UConn, a 4 time National championship team since 1999 more than any other school in the country since then. Why would I want to settle for a freaking shed? We just won a National championship in 2014, why are some of you claiming we’re are rebuilding? If we are REBUILDING in “2017” with the same head coach that’s been here for 6 years already that should speak volume. Ollie is not the guy, and I will voice that at the games if I please, whether you like it or not. I’m passionate about my UConn team and I want and expect greatness from them, nothing less.

Want and expect greatness? Is that all you were brought up with, the 90's and beyond? Doesn't always happen. Granted there are questions to be answered and improvements to be made but the point of this thread is ranting stuff out loud at Ko and the players. If anyone does that, they are idiots period, none of you/us have anything coming we are fans. Expectations yes, yell out "stupid pass c'mon". "what the hell shoot the man ball", "box someone out dammit" - these are all fine it's the passion of a fan. But calling out people in public, that ticket doesn't owe you that. And willie is correct to be embarrassed buy such idiots.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom