I was embarrassed by some UConn fans tonight | Page 5 | The Boneyard

I was embarrassed by some UConn fans tonight

Reaction Score
so you're saying you're giving him a chance but we shouldn't give him a chance?

No! I’m saying there will be no difference in play if we fire him now. Unless we have an assistant who is miraculously better than KO. I’d wait until after the year is up to hire a coach, however, if I were DB I would be looking at potential coaches as of NOW for when the season is over.

Reaction Score
Here's my personal belief. You don't boo the kids. You never boo the kids because they are are still young, largely immature and they take their direction from the well paid adults who coach them. I don't even like to see the kids put down on a message board. Even when the coach is a complete jackwagon (see PP and BD) I still won't boo because the kids will think I'm booing them. You got issues with someone being paid and not performing their job, you take it up with their boss.

I've never gone to UConn (took some classes at Stamford back in the day) and began rooting for the team in 79 when the Big East formed. I listened on crappy radios to ICC and watched snowy televisions to the old channel 20. In those nearly 40 years I have had more thrills, seen so many great plays and so many great players. I've been able to watch four great runs to the NC. This program doesn't owe me anything. In the old days of the BY we always said we wouldn't want to be like the fans of other programs if we won multiple titles and guess what? We are. I'm not telling anybody how to root or be a good fan or any of that crap. What I'm saying is to the old timers, don't forget what it was like before JC, before 99. For the newcomers, be grateful you've experienced nothing but success. All good things come to an end and if this is the end? Let's go out th some dignity and some gratitude. We've been very lucky.
I am glad you posted this, because I think revisiting the pre JC days may be a valuable lesson for the current situation. As a fan from the 70's, and a student and alum during the Dom Perno days, I remember quite vividly the days leading up to Perno's firing and the subsequent hiring of one James Calhoun. We had just entered the Big East and were getting pasted regularly by Georgetown, St. Johns and the classic BE teams of the 80's. There was a fan segment just happy to watch UConn play, and lose, to Mullins and Ewings teams. It wasn't until some of us season ticket holders starting wearing bags over our heads to games (I was one of those fans, which also made the front page of the Courant sports section) that Perno was fired and Calhoun was hired. Some people seem to forget that it was a fan rebellion that started our run of recent success. It was NOT being quiet during games, and loudly and visibly protesting mediocrity that sowed the seeds of our success. As nice as Coach Perno was (and KO is), that in of itself doesnt become a reason not to vocally and visibly protest. Sometimes support comes in the fashion of facing hard truths head on.

Reaction Score
I hate Ollie so much for willfully putting us in the AAC and refusing to take the numerous invitations to the P5 conferences, guy doesn't know what he's doing...

It's Ollie's fault this team hasn't finished better than tied for 5th place in the AAC the last three years. Hard to get invites from P5 when you cant handle business in AAC.

Reaction Score
Can we please stop referring the team as a house or a shed and how to build it and what pieces are needed? It's bringing back memories of Diaco's fish cake...

Reaction Score
Als0, when did it become a thing to turn your back to the floor when the other team is announced? Has that been a round for a while and I just never noticed?

Anyone else think the Villanova player planting the ball on the floor as possession clock ran out at game end was a d move...just toss it to the ref, right?

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I really wanted Kevin Ollie to succeed as head coach of UConn, my Alma Mater and the team that I have been watching since 1980 or so. But I am not seeing much if anything that makes me optimistic that KO will turn things around.

I would love to know what the relative handful of guys who still believe KO is "The guy" are basing that on. I don't condone poor sportsmanship or the booing of your own team and I never will. But I certainly understand the frustration of the fanbase, as they have watched the program fall off a cliff over the past 3 plus seasons. Things have gotten to the point where I cannot see the same head coach turning things around. That said, I am open to rational discussion by those who see things differently. I just don't think the handful of dissenters have much to work with at this point.

Before you engage in this kind of analysis, you need to look at all the facts. I think we all wanted Kevin Ollie to succeed (although I admit I didn't even want him to be hired).

Question 1: Do you still want him to succeed? If the answer is no, then you are rooting for him, and the team, to fail. That disqualifies you for any further input on this subject.

Question 2: Do you think it is impossible for him to succeed, or do you think it may just take too long and you're tired of waiting? After all, he won a title 3.5 years ago. If you said take too long, then changing coaches will take even longer. So we give him the time.

Question 3: If it is impossible for him to succeed, what is your clearly superior alternative. Do you have funds to pay him and this alternative coach? Because UConn doesn't. How certain are you that this clear and obvious upgrade will make the improvement you seek? New coaches are brought in to right the ship at various schools all the time. Most of them don't. When they do, it usually takes several years. See question 2 for that.

In short it is irresponsible to advocate for a change for the sake of change. If you have a clearly superior alternative, and if that alternative is affordable and won't put the school in an even bigger budgetary hole, then yes, you make that move. Benedict just did that with Diaco. At present, there does not exist such a situation with Kevin Ollie. His team isn't among the worst in D1, as Diaco's was. His remaining salary is much higher. And there is no young, cheap version of Jim Calhoun walking through that door. I am not pleased with the job Ollie has done. But I think the damage to program from removing him would be greater than from retaining him, and riding this out.

Reaction Score
I am glad you posted this, because I think revisiting the pre JC days may be a valuable lesson for the current situation. As a fan from the 70's, and a student and alum during the Dom Perno days, I remember quite vividly the days leading up to Perno's firing and the subsequent hiring of one James Calhoun. We had just entered the Big East and were getting pasted regularly by Georgetown, St. Johns and the classic BE teams of the 80's. There was a fan segment just happy to watch UConn play, and lose, to Mullins and Ewings teams. It wasn't until some of us season ticket holders starting wearing bags over our heads to games (I was one of those fans, which also made the front page of the Courant sports section) that Perno was fired and Calhoun was hired. Some people seem to forget that it was a fan rebellion that started our run of recent success. It was NOT being quiet during games, and loudly and visibly protesting mediocrity that sowed the seeds of our success. As nice as Coach Perno was (and KO is), that in of itself doesnt become a reason not to vocally and visibly protest. Sometimes support comes in the fashion of facing hard truths head on.

Thank you!

Reaction Score

This is great, thanks!!!! PS. You're an awful human being

Reaction Score
I hope people were not saying derogatory things about the players, I would agree that's not fair. My guess is folks were venting frustration with the coach we're wasting millions of dollars on. KO was great as a 2 year "bridge" guy but it is becoming abundantly clear he's not up for running a (once) power program. I wish KO was "the guy" but I haven't seen anything in the past 3 plus years to justify that hope......so please boo away at KO, I know I do when I watch this team nowadays.
There was plenty of derogatory things said about the players also.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
some of us season ticket holders starting wearing bags over our heads to games (I was one of those fans, which also made the front page of the Courant sports section)

If you all had a bag over your head, how do you know who was on the front page?

Reaction Score
That's revisionist history. I was a student for 3 years of Perno and my recollection is that the team's records (4 straight losing seasons, 12-16, 13-15, 13-15, 12-16, fired) + Earl Kelley fiasco were reasons & exhibits A - X for Perno's dismissal. Yes there was some fan dissent, but the only time it was overtly visible at a game to my recollection was when Cliff Robinson got benched by Perno for a near fight and the fans in the front rows spent the 2nd half yelling at Cliff (wouldn't sit down out of utter frustration). I've always thought that instance of fans unreasonably taking out frustrations on the freshman player with the most potential on the team was a sign to cut the losses but I wouldn't thank them for catcalling Cliffy* and call it a catalyst.

Also worth remembering that at that exact time UConn had superfan Jeremy aka the Guru getting started and hyping up crowds with positivity. He was tacitly approved by the administration = we needed a positive role model to undue the fan apathy (mostly) & negativity. Without Jeremy Calhoun's first years might have been rockier. Calhoun took over and UConn promptly went 3-13 (87) again in BE, 4-12 (88) and 6-10 (89). Did people wear bags over their head to all of those conference losses to motivate JC?

*I think he hit one of them with a dart at Ted's after the game ;)

Reaction Score
Before you engage in this kind of analysis, you need to look at all the facts. I think we all wanted Kevin Ollie to succeed (although I admit I didn't even want him to be hired).

Question 1: Do you still want him to succeed? If the answer is no, then you are rooting for him, and the team, to fail. That disqualifies you for any further input on this subject.

Question 2: Do you think it is impossible for him to succeed, or do you think it may just take too long and you're tired of waiting? After all, he won a title 3.5 years ago. If you said take too long, then changing coaches will take even longer. So we give him the time.

Question 3: If it is impossible for him to succeed, what is your clearly superior alternative. Do you have funds to pay him and this alternative coach? Because UConn doesn't. How certain are you that this clear and obvious upgrade will make the improvement you seek? New coaches are brought in to right the ship at various schools all the time. Most of them don't. When they do, it usually takes several years. See question 2 for that.

In short it is irresponsible to advocate for a change for the sake of change. If you have a clearly superior alternative, and if that alternative is affordable and won't put the school in an even bigger budgetary hole, then yes, you make that move. Benedict just did that with Diaco. At present, there does not exist such a situation with Kevin Ollie. His team isn't among the worst in D1, as Diaco's was. His remaining salary is much higher. And there is no young, cheap version of Jim Calhoun walking through that door. I am not pleased with the job Ollie has done. But I think the damage to program from removing him would be greater than from retaining him, and riding this out.

I simply want to know how the people who still think Kevin Ollie can turn things around would complete the following sentence.

I believe Kevin Ollie can make UConn relevant again on the national landscape because...

That's it. Very simple. Just want to know what their optimism is based on. That's all.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
It's Ollie's fault this team hasn't finished better than tied for 5th place in the AAC the last three years. Hard to get invites from P5 when you cant handle business in AAC.

He deserves much of the blame. But we could be undefeated in the AAC for the last 3 years and be no closer to a P5 invite. Thats a whole different ball of wax.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
I simply want to know how the people who still think Kevin Ollie can turn things around would complete the following sentence.

I believe Kevin Ollie can make UConn relevant again on the national landscape because...

That's it. Very simple. Just want to know what their optimism is based on. That's all.

."...he's been that guy before, and we need him to be that guy again."

That's my answer. Doesn't mean he will. But he can, and we need him to.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
That's revisionist history. I was a student for 3 years of Perno and my recollection is that the team's records (4 straight losing seasons, 12-16, 13-15, 13-15, 12-16, fired) + Earl Kelley fiasco were reasons & exhibits A - X for Perno's dismissal. Yes there was some fan dissent, but the only time it was overtly visible at a game to my recollection was when Cliff Robinson got benched by Perno for a near fight and the fans in the front rows spent the 2nd half yelling at Cliff (wouldn't sit down out of utter frustration). I've always thought that instance of fans unreasonably taking out frustrations on the freshman player with the most potential on the team was a sign to cut the losses but I wouldn't thank them for catcalling Cliffy* and call it a catalyst.

Also worth remembering that at that exact time UConn had superfan Jeremy aka the Guru getting started and hyping up crowds with positivity. He was tacitly approved by the administration = we needed a positive role model to undue the fan apathy (mostly) & negativity. Without Jeremy Calhoun's first years might have been rockier. Calhoun took over and UConn promptly went 3-13 (87) again in BE, 4-12 (88) and 6-10 (89). Did people wear bags over their head to all of those conference losses to motivate JC?

*I think he hit one of them with a dart at Ted's after the game ;)

Ahh the good old days. I only ever played foosball with Cliff and Jeff King at Teds.

Reaction Score
."...he's been that guy before, and we need him to be that guy again."

That's my answer. Doesn't mean he will. But he can, and we need him to.

I appreciate your answer. I guess I was looking for specifics like, he is very good at X, or he will be able to develop players A and B, next year's recruits will provide an infusion of toughness...whatever you believe positive change will flow from. In short, substance not hope or blind faith.

UConn_Top_Dog

"Your school wins games... WE WIN CHAMPIONSHIPS!"
Reaction Score
It's going to keep on happening. Cant tell you how many people i saw at Monmouth on Ollie or players as well and many of them were older fans.

Can't teach an old dog new tricks. The older fans are stubborn, set in their ways and have this seniority mentality and don't think a coach younger than them has enough experience. Maybe a select few even think KO shouldn't be a coach because he is not an old white man.

Reaction Score
Can't teach an old dog new tricks. The older fans are stubborn, set in their ways and have this seniority mentality and don't think a coach younger than them has enough experience. Maybe a select few even think KO shouldn't be a coach because he is not an old white man.
Oh sweet mother of Zeus, does that mean the backlash coach is coming? Bob Knight seems the obvious trumpchurian candidate.

Reaction Score
He deserves much of the blame. But we could be undefeated in the AAC for the last 3 years and be no closer to a P5 invite. Thats a whole different ball of wax.

I agree with you 100%. But UConn fans shouldn't complain about a lame conference when UConn has actually taken it down more than lifted it up these last three years.

If we got the players to dominate the AAC and not P5 teams this argument would hold a lot more weight.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
I appreciate your answer. I guess I was looking for specifics like, he is very good at X, or he will be able to develop players A and B, next year's recruits will provide an infusion of toughness...whatever you believe positive change will flow from. In short, substance not hope or blind faith.

That stuff is nonsense. I remember UConn fans being pissed that we missed on a PG recruit, although we thought the guy we got instead looked pretty good...and we had hope. His name was Kemba Walker.

I have no earthly idea what these guys can or will do. Carlton could be a first round draft pick. In two years you might see Diarra using that frame to hit 3s or attack the basket from the wing. I have been pleasantly surprised a lot of times in the last 30+ years of watching this team. Seen unknown Israeli guys show up and act like John Stockton. Seen McD All Americans who were so bad they couldn't really get on the court.

UConn_Top_Dog

"Your school wins games... WE WIN CHAMPIONSHIPS!"
Reaction Score
Here's my personal belief. You don't boo the kids. You never boo the kids because they are are still young, largely immature and they take their direction from the well paid adults who coach them. I don't even like to see the kids put down on a message board. Even when the coach is a complete jackwagon (see PP and BD) I still won't boo because the kids will think I'm booing them. You got issues with someone being paid and not performing their job, you take it up with their boss.

I've never gone to UConn (took some classes at Stamford back in the day) and began rooting for the team in 79 when the Big East formed. I listened on crappy radios to ICC and watched snowy televisions to the old channel 20. In those nearly 40 years I have had more thrills, seen so many great plays and so many great players. I've been able to watch four great runs to the NC. This program doesn't owe me anything. In the old days of the BY we always said we wouldn't want to be like the fans of other programs if we won multiple titles and guess what? We are. I'm not telling anybody how to root or be a good fan or any of that crap. What I'm saying is to the old timers, don't forget what it was like before JC, before 99. For the newcomers, be grateful you've experienced nothing but success. All good things come to an end and if this is the end? Let's go out th some dignity and some gratitude. We've been very lucky.

Repost

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kemba123#

Top Bottom