I was at the game and ceremony and Bazz's tearful reaction makes me wonder... | Page 6 | The Boneyard

I was at the game and ceremony and Bazz's tearful reaction makes me wonder...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I can tell you. His goal, like most high major players is to make the NBA and make millions. Your sugesstion that he go play internationaly now presupposes that he's not good enough to make the nba ever and should start earning now. I disagree with that supposition

I'm not suggesting he go play internationally. I'm not suggesting he do anything. What I am suggesting is that going pro this year COULD be in his best financial interests, regardless of whether he is an NBA player or not.

Personally, I think he will declare, I think he will go in the second round, play a couple years in the NBA, play some more in Europe, and then end up getting into coaching in his late 30s.

If he were to come back, I think he would go in the second round next year, play a couple years in the NBA, play some more in Europe, and then end up getting into coaching in his late 30s. Only difference, is one less year of playing for money, and one more year playing for free at UConn. Whether or not that's the right decision is up to Bazz.

Reaction Score
No. CT born and raised. Sister has a UConn MD. Father has a UConn masters. I took a couple of UConn classes. Many good friends that went to UConn. I have attended many games and watch most games. Not a troll, just not a lemming.

I like Jim Calhoun. I think he's one of the best college basketball coaches of all time. I think he did tremendous things for the University and the state. With that said, he wasn't perfect. I wish he did a better job for many of the guys that left the program without degrees and with out professional careers.

If you think Calhoun was perfect, than you're blind.
Right. Because I said Jim Calhoun is perfect. You need to take time and think out your posts a little bit.

By your logic, little children all over America are growing up dreaming of playing in the Turkish Basketball League.

Or, at the very least, if you aren't projected into the first round after your junior year, time to head to Istanbul...

Reaction Score
Right. Because I said Jim Calhoun is perfect. You need to take time and think out your posts a little bit.

By your logic, little children all over America are growing up dreaming of playing in the Turkish Basketball League.

Or, at the very least, if you aren't projected into the first round after your junior year, time to head to Istanbul...

No. They grow up wanting to play in the NBA. Or be a fireman. Or be an astronaut. Then they turn 22 and they start thinking about earning a living. I'm sure Shabazz would love to play in the NBA. I'm sure he would take $5MM a year to play in China rather than play in the NBA for $500k.

And even if he only cares about playing in the NBA, its far from clear that coming back is his best way to get there.

Reaction Score
$45,000 to play in Turkey or $5 mil to play in China, which is it? Reading through your posts is funny, you are just so clueless.

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
I'm not suggesting he go play internationally. I'm not suggesting he do anything. What I am suggesting is that going pro this year COULD be in his best financial interests, regardless of whether he is an NBA player or not.

Personally, I think he will declare, I think he will go in the second round, play a couple years in the NBA, play some more in Europe, and then end up getting into coaching in his late 30s.

If he were to come back, I think he would go in the second round next year, play a couple years in the NBA, play some more in Europe, and then end up getting into coaching in his late 30s. Only difference, is one less year of playing for money, and one more year playing for free at UConn. Whether or not that's the right decision is up to Bazz.
So you're saying that staying one more year will only cost him money? If he's only going to play a few years on the NBA regardless, what difference does a one year delay make? It's different if you say a guy's gonna have a long career in which case a delay could cost him a year off of his career. Also, what about the experience of possibly being THE MAN to lead your team to a possible NCAA title? Doesn't that have value? Money isn't everything. He'll earn more in his lifetime with a college degree than by playing a year overseas. I'm also not sure an NBA team would draft him until he shows that his foot can hold up for a full season. If it comes down between picking him or a comparable player without a chronic injury, teams will take the one without the chronic injury.

Reaction Score
The 45k thing is so silly. If he gets his degree he could get a job in any office in Hartford at 50k and make loads of cash for appearances and TV commercials.

Reaction Score
No. They grow up wanting to play in the NBA. Or be a fireman. Or be an astronaut. Then they turn 22 and they start thinking about earning a living. I'm sure Shabazz would love to play in the NBA. I'm sure he would take $5MM a year to play in China rather than play in the NBA for $500k.

And even if he only cares about playing in the NBA, its far from clear that coming back is his best way to get there.
Well, first, he's not going to make $5M a year in China. Not sure where you got that. During the lockout, JR Smith got $3M a year--and that was an all-time high. The average salary is far lower than the NBA.

If he wants to play in the NBA, his best opportunity is to get drafted in the first round. If he gets a guarantee in the first round this year--go. I'm happy for him.

If he doesn't, it's probably best for him to come back and figure out what he needs to work on. Likely, it's getting healthy and getting exposure. We can go through huge lists of players whose stock improved solely by playing deep into the tournament. While you can also suggest players who stayed a year too long, the list pales in comparison to those who went too early.

Reaction Score
$45,000 to play in Turkey or $5 mil to play in China, which is it? Reading through your posts is funny, you are just so clueless.

I wasn't saying he will make $5MM playing in China. I was saying that I would guess he cares more about money than the NBA. For example IF a Chinese team offerred him $5MM (not that they would), he would take it rather than playing in the NBA for 1/10 that.

I think Shabazz's first thought will be providing for his family - more so than playing in the NBA or winning another title.

Reaction Score
The 45k thing is so silly. If he gets his degree he could get a job in any office in Hartford at 50k and make loads of cash for appearances and TV commercials.

And you know that Shabazz wants to work in an office in Hartford? Some guys just aren't cut out for white collar, college degree jobs. Other people have lucrative positions lined up at family businesses regardless of having a sheet of paper or not. I have no idea with regards to Shabazz. Again, this is something that none of us know, but of course some of us pretend to know.

Reaction Score
Well, first, he's not going to make $5M a year in China. Not sure where you got that. During the lockout, JR Smith got $3M a year--and that was an all-time high. The average salary is far lower than the NBA.

If he wants to play in the NBA, his best opportunity is to get drafted in the first round. If he gets a guarantee in the first round this year--go. I'm happy for him.

If he doesn't, it's probably best for him to come back and figure out what he needs to work on. Likely, it's getting healthy and getting exposure. We can go through huge lists of players whose stock improved solely by playing deep into the tournament. While you can also suggest players who stayed a year too long, the list pales in comparison to those who went too early.

Who "left too early" is very subjective. Did Villaneuva? Gay? KAE? Drummond? Corey Magette (he wasn't even a starter)? What about Zeller? Should he have left last year (he probably hasn't raised where he will be drafted)? What about Jared Sullinger? Did he stay a year too long? CJ McCollum?

Reaction Score
From what I have read the chances for Napier being a first round pick are almost nil. It sounds like his going in the second round is 50/50. That means there is very little chance he will have an NBA contract next year. If he manages to get into the developmental league which provides an income of around $25,000. I researched information on playing in Europe and it appears that it isn't as easy to latch on as a rookie there as you make out. One article I read indicates they are adding less rookies referring players with pro experience or years playing in lesser leagues. Rookies usually receive half of normal salaries there and depending on the league you get in that can be less than the developmental league. The rookies they do look for are ones that have got a lot of attention. "This means that unless you were in the NBA pre-draft lists or had tremendous reviews in a top NCAA D1 College, it will be difficult to start in a top pro league in Europe ! " So by staying and getting the reviews that go along with a successful season and some playoff noise there is a much better chance of good reviews and catching the attention of a top European team. Worse case scenario he will get his degree which opens him to other professions that earn more than the developmental league and the lower level European teams, not to mention there is a certain amount of notoriety that he could develop by leading next years Uconn team which can be parlayed into marketing opportunities.

Reaction Score
Could SN have a similar NBA career to what AJ Price has had so far? He has not really been an important factor for the teams he has been on but he's found backup work with two NBA organizations I believe

Reaction Score
From what I have read the chances for Napier being a first round pick are almost nil. It sounds like his going in the second round is 50/50. That means there is very little chance he will have an NBA contract next year. If he manages to get into the developmental league which provides an income of around $25,000. I researched information on playing in Europe and it appears that it isn't as easy to latch on as a rookie there as you make out. One article I read indicates they are adding less rookies referring players with pro experience or years playing in lesser leagues. Rookies usually receive half of normal salaries there and depending on the league you get in that can be less than the developmental league. The rookies they do look for are ones that have got a lot of attention. "This means that unless you were in the NBA pre-draft lists or had tremendous reviews in a top NCAA D1 College, it will be difficult to start in a top pro league in Europe ! " So by staying and getting the reviews that go along with a successful season and some playoff noise there is a much better chance of good reviews and catching the attention of a top European team. Worse case scenario he will get his degree which opens him to other professions that earn more than the developmental league and the lower level European teams, not to mention there is a certain amount of notoriety that he could develop by leading next years Uconn team which can be parlayed into marketing opportunities.
These are great points Hume. He may not get drafted at all, and then playing in Europe and making decent money is not as automatic as some people make it out to be. This is true for Bazz and Boatright.

Reaction Score
Boat's best bet may be the Globetrotters. I don't mean that as an insult.

Reaction Score
Who "left too early" is very subjective. Did Villaneuva? Gay? KAE? Drummond? Corey Magette (he wasn't even a starter)? What about Zeller? Should he have left last year (he probably hasn't raised where he will be drafted)? What about Jared Sullinger? Did he stay a year too long? CJ McCollum?
If we're sticking to UConn--the only relevant players--and the question is lasting in the NBA, then Villaneuva (since 2005), Gay (since 2006), and Drummond (provided no injuries, he'll be fine) all left when they should have. They were lottery picks. If they're lottery picks they should go. I don't understand why you are being intentionally obtuse and missing the point.

Shabazz has a chance to go in the first round with health and exposure. He doesn't have that chance this year. Therefore, because he's not passing up a first round draft position, he only stands to gain in the eyes of NBA scouts.

As to some of your other players:

Maggette's been in the league since 1999. For someone who is suggesting that Napier should go to Turkey rather than raise his stock another year, it's weird of you to pick someone currently in his 14th NBA year.

Zeller - can't tell you why he came back. Not sure why it's relevant, though since he was a first round pick if he left in 2011, and came back and was a first round pick.

Sullinger - perhaps could have been a first round pick, but was still projected into the lottery because of back issues. Who knows where he would have went in the 2011 draft when he came out, because his performance was not what made him drop.

McCollum - Lot's of draft sites still have him going in the lottery--and I'm not sure he would have last year. No one really knew him until he knocked off Duke almost single-handedly. I think he may have benefitted from having scouts watch him for a year.

Reaction Score
Of course the guys who things have worked out for love Calhoun. What about the guys who things haven't worked out for? The guys that didn't graduate or transferred? There's been way too many of those guys. And what is Robinson supposed to say? That he blames Calhoun? That's a good way to shoot yourself in the foot.

You're a dope!!

Reaction Score
Of course the guys who things have worked out for love Calhoun. What about the guys who things haven't worked out for? The guys that didn't graduate or transferred? There's been way too many of those guys. And what is Robinson supposed to say? That he blames Calhoun? That's a good way to shoot yourself in the foot.

I'll bite. Why would Stanley Robinson continue to call Calhoun for advice and support if he had a problem with him. Was Tony Robertson a huge success after UConn? Yet still seen at multiple games this year. The point is, you don't know anything about their personal relationships with Calhoun. I base my comments off of what I have actually seen and heard. You make judgments you have zero basis for. Your true motive is revealing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom