I was at the game and ceremony and Bazz's tearful reaction makes me wonder... | Page 4 | The Boneyard

I was at the game and ceremony and Bazz's tearful reaction makes me wonder...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Inyatkin

Stairway to Seven
Reaction Score
Bazz was pretty emotional but from the looks of it they all were. Even DeAndre who's pretty unflappable on the court was breaking down. I don't think you can read anything into this.

Reaction Score
Second round contracts aren't guaranteed. They are basically an invitation to training camp.

No.underclassman should declare unless they are guaranteed to go in the first round. Six foot point guards, doubly so.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

A blanket statement like that is certainly not true. The decision should be made just like any financial decison - project out the cashflows and discount them back to present values. So if the cash flows in years 2-45 are the same no matter what, then you want to maximize cash flow in year 1- meaning even if Shabazz makes 45k in turkey, it would be a good financial decision.

Obviously the difficulty is predicting the cash flows.

Reaction Score
This type of thinking is just so bizarre. Do you really think a really good college player who can contend for a title next year should leave to play in Europe? You must also think that El-Amin made a mistake coming back for his junior year and winning a championship, he would have been far better off getting that extra year in Istanbul.

You've completely missed the point. It's not what you or I think, it's what the player thinks. I'm sure some guys think, screw the ncaa title, i wish i had 11 years of making 250k in turkey instead of 10. Other guys wouldn't trade their college experiences for 20 years of making 250k in turkey. People are different - what's right for some isn't right for others. I dont know if shabazz values that one extra year of earning money more than a potential tourney run.

Reaction Score
See my previous post. I'd bet money "pro" to him is synonymous with NBA.

There is a small chance he makes the first round this year. Very small.

In 2010, if you asked pro scouts about Kemba, you did not hear good things. Borderline first rounder, probably in the second. And then Kemba out-Kemba'd everyone, and he was a lottery selection.

That's why you come back unless you know you're in the first round. Even with Khalid El-Amin, I sort of understood. He had, what, 3 kids?

This shows fundamentally flawed logic. For every kemba, there is an ishiah austin. Guess how much the average nba prospect improves his stock by, relative to other returning players? None! Its a zero sum game - for every winner, theres a loser. And shabazz is just as likely to be a loser as he is a winner (in terms of his draft stock changing by coming back another year).

Reaction Score
A blanket statement like that is certainly not true. The decision should be made just like any financial decison - project out the cashflows and discount them back to present values. So if the cash flows in years 2-45 are the same no matter what, then you want to maximize cash flow in year 1- meaning even if Shabazz makes 45k in turkey, it would be a good financial decision.

Good lord, who let a financial planner on the board.

Reaction Score

Wow thanks for clearing things up, you should definitely have a talk with Shabazz before he decides, I'm sure he would be grateful for your sound financial advice.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score

Goo lord. Your odds of making the nba after playing in turkey are far less than after leading Uconn to the final four and elevating yourself to a first round pick and a guaranteed contract. Settling for 45k could cost you millions.

Reaction Score
When was the last time one kid's decision ment so much to a program?
With conference realignment, starting a new conference, and the 2nd year of a new coach!

Kemba

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
NeillOstrout
Ollie on Napier's NBA decision: "We're going to support him either way."
3/9/13 2:57 PM

this is a true and accurate statement

I think Bazz has to explore his options, gauge the interest and make an informed decision. If he's not going in the 1st round, he should come back

and of course he can improve his draft position. Have a great year next year, have a great post season when all eyes are upon you, show everyone he's truly a leader and his draft position will absolutely improve without a shadow of a doubt. Another year with KO can only help

that's what young kids do, they get better

Reaction Score
I just do not get the theory some have that Bazz will leave early to become a 2nd round pick or go undrafted and play internationally. Like Willie 99 said he can always improve his draft position, especially with a deep NCAA tourney run.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
I think Bazz is a lock to be a first round pick and, probably, at the tail end of the big money lottery picks to the end of the 1st round. That's the guaranteed cash and it would be tough to pass that up. UConn's stock is going to take hit in the public's perception because of our new conference so I'd say anything short of an Elite 8 appearance would be seen as disappointing if he would return. Plus there's injury risk. If I had to guess, I'd say he's going pro and I don't blame him (or anyone). But yes, selfishly, I'd LOVE to see him return to UConn and help restore our proud reputation as a top 5 program and national title contender. Next year's team could be REALLY special in a weaker conference and with something more to play for. I'd say an Elite 8 appearance is very likely and a good chance at Final 4. That is if the corrupt NCAA doesn't continue to stick it to UConn and seed them in the toughest brackets that would include another tough "away" game.

Reaction Score
I think they all are and we may potentially have three 1st round picks next year. I still deandre has the most pro potential as a lottery pick in 2014 and facey way down the road though.

Reaction Score
I think Bazz is a lock to be a first round pick and, probably, at the tail end of the big money lottery picks to the end of the 1st round. That's the guaranteed cash and it would be tough to pass that up. UConn's stock is going to take hit in the public's perception because of our new conference so I'd say anything short of an Elite 8 appearance would be seen as disappointing if he would return. Plus there's injury risk. If I had to guess, I'd say he's going pro and I don't blame him (or anyone). But yes, selfishly, I'd LOVE to see him return to UConn and help restore our proud reputation as a top 5 program and national title contender. Next year's team could be REALLY special in a weaker conference and with something more to play for. I'd say an Elite 8 appearance is very likely and a good chance at Final 4. That is if the corrupt NCAA doesn't continue to stick it to UConn and seed them in the toughest brackets that would include another tough "away" game.
Sorry dude he is not a 1st round pick this year.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
No, he is definitely not.

You don't think so? I know he's undersized but he went to UConn and NBA teams know that, for the most part, when they draft a kid from UConn, he won't bust out.

Reaction Score
How do you know this is his "best shot to get drafted?" He had a great season, but the reality is he is behind a ton of guards at this point for the draft. We have all heard about how the draft is this year compared to next, but he is a 2nd round pick this year at best. If he comes back, has another great year, and has the exposure of being on a top 10 team and an NCAA run...well then he may slid into the 1st round. How many players have we seen that happen to lately?

I think a player who does not have a guarantee with a first round pick should stay--and all the more case in Uconns guys. This is going to be a National Championship[ contender. These guys will get better and be in the spotlight all year..... That how you make it from round 2 into 1. Improve and have the spotlight lit on you. Napier has a chance but I still do not believe a guarantee round 1. I think the best he could hope for is a team says Shabazz will take you in round 2 and sign you for a 1 year lock--but again that is almost never done. Boatright 0 chance to be drafted---if he listens to someone not in the know--hell live overseas as a lock. Daniels is the best long term prospect and just because he had a few good games--should not sway anything. He would NOT get picked round 1 and has all the ability to get to lottery status next year. Kyle Andersen is an example of a player who has had good games but is not ready--and he was better than Daniels this year. Daniels does not have an NBA body yet. Anyone see Corey Jefferson player yesterday--hes projected as a 2nd rounder and he is miles ahead of Daniels in terms of body athletic explosion etc... Most fans have 0 and I mean 0 clue on the NBA process. I will give you this---unless there is some serious beauty in the eye of the beholder--Shabazz will not round 1(too many better options in a crowded PG class). Boatright has no chance to sniff a top 60 pick. Hes way to small and his skills decision making are no where near NBA. If he was 6-3 wed be talking a s 5-10 top(but then again he may never have been going to Uconn at 6-3). He WILL NOT get drafted. Daniels--Im sure he peaked a few heads but clearly he needs physical improvement heck he was manhandled how many games this year--his SF skills are no where near fully honed--he would need to gain 10 hard pounds and hone out his 3 pt shot ballhandling and even some decision making a s well. he does have NBA length athletiscm and is showing the in out package--but he needs to be a finished product with his frame

Reaction Score
Wow thanks for clearing things up, you should definitely have a talk with Shabazz before he decides, I'm sure he would be grateful for your sound financial advice.

I guess your posts are much more interesting and insightful - "Shabazz should come back because it will make UConn better and I'll have fun watching him".

Reaction Score
Goo lord. Your odds of making the nba after playing in turkey are far less than after leading Uconn to the final four and elevating yourself to a first round pick and a guaranteed contract. Settling for 45k could cost you millions.

What you just said is that the odds of making the NBA are higher if you're a first round pick than if you're playing professionally in Turkey. That is certainly true. It's pretty irrelevant. The issue is what are the chances of being a first round pick this year versus being a first round pick next year? I believe the difference is marginal, and Shabazz stands to gain little in terms of the NBA by returning another year. There's plenty of other considerations, however. It's just funny how when fans are trying to convince themselves that a player on their team should return, they treat coming back for another year as an automatic boost to your draft stock. You're just as likely to fall as you are to rise.

Reaction Score
Shabazz had surgery on his foot and is still having problems with it. If he declares, it's likely to show up in the physicals done by NBA teams and will be a concern, much like Sullinger's back. If it were me, I would spend the extra year getting my degree, and then taking the shot at the NBA. Teams will draft him for his decision making and ability to run a team, whether it's the 2nd unit or as a starter. No need to rush, but we don't know his financial situation and pressures.

Reaction Score
Has anyone told him they are thinking about putting a Tilted Kilt in Storrs? Reason enough to stay.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom