I was at the game and ceremony and Bazz's tearful reaction makes me wonder... | Page 5 | The Boneyard

I was at the game and ceremony and Bazz's tearful reaction makes me wonder...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I guess your posts are much more interesting and insightful - "Shabazz should come back because it will make UConn better and I'll have fun watching him".
Are you really this stupid? I've explained it about a million times, Shabazz will come back because he's not on the nba radar. He has no chance of being a first round pick and he hasn't even been listed anywhere as a second round pick. I'm of Calhoun's way of thinking, you don't leave early if you're not a lottery pick. I would have no problem with Bazz leaving if he was a guaranteed first round pick, he is just not. I love the kid and want the best for him but leaving early would be a huge mistake. You've shown that your belief is that Bazz shouldn't turn up the chance to play in Hungary for $45,000.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
This type of thinking is just so bizarre. Do you really think a really good college player who can contend for a title next year should leave to play in Europe? You must also think that El-Amin made a mistake coming back for his junior year and winning a championship, he would have been far better off getting that extra year in Istanbul.

El-Amin did make a mistake coming back for his junior year. He should have left after his Letterman apperarance.

Reaction Score
El-Amin did make a mistake coming back for his junior year. He should have left after his Letterman apperarance.
But El-Amin was coming off a National Championship season were he the no. 2 scorer. His stock literally wasn't going to get any higher.

Shabazz is coming off a season where he made first team all BE, but in a year where UCONN got no exposure this year. To me the exposure he will get next year could be the difference between getting picked late 1st round and getting picked at the end of the 2nd round/not drafted. People who think he is getting drafted 1st round are out of their mind. I think its 50/50 if he gets drafted 2nd round or not at all.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
What you just said is that the odds of making the NBA are higher if you're a first round pick than if you're playing professionally in Turkey. That is certainly true. It's pretty irrelevant. The issue is what are the chances of being a first round pick this year versus being a first round pick next year? I believe the difference is marginal, and Shabazz stands to gain little in terms of the NBA by returning another year. There's plenty of other considerations, however. It's just funny how when fans are trying to convince themselves that a player on their team should return, they treat coming back for another year as an automatic boost to your draft stock. You're just as likely to fall as you are to rise.
You don't think his stock rises by coming back and possibly winning conference and national player of the year and leading Uconn to the final four? Really. Those are legitimate possibilities and would clearly boost his draft status. Ask Kamba.

Reaction Score
Shabazz is slept on. I think he can be a terrific pro prospect, just needs to work on his body. Reminds me of a flashier right handed Derek fisher. Would be an excellent triangle pg. his defensive instincts would also translate. First rounder this year

Reaction Score
Shabazz is slept on. I think he can be a terrific pro prospect, just needs to work on his body. Reminds me of a flashier right handed Derek fisher. Would be an excellent triangle pg. his defensive instincts would also translate. First rounder this year
I've thought of him as like a Derek Fisher/Avery Bradley mashup when he reaches the NBA. And while I'm at it I think Daniels is a Jeff Green type guy and Boat is a poor man's Isaiah Thomas, the Washington one.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Isn't it funny how everyone posting was ticked SN was not on any of the national lists for top players because based on his performance this season he deserved to be. But now that he may leave us we're all praying he's not on any one's lists.:)

Reaction Score
You don't think his stock rises by coming back and possibly winning conference and national player of the year and leading Uconn to the final four? Really. Those are legitimate possibilities and would clearly boost his draft status. Ask Kamba.

I do think that would raise his stock. But you don't think re-injuring his foot next year or having his numbers go down would hurt his stock? Those are real possibilities as well.

Again, it's a zero sum game. If one players stock goes up, another's goes down. It's just as likely that Bazz's stock would go up as it is would go down. Or maybe it won't change, and he might as well have gone pro.

Reaction Score
Are you really this stupid? I've explained it about a million times, Shabazz will come back because he's not on the nba radar. He has no chance of being a first round pick and he hasn't even been listed anywhere as a second round pick. I'm of Calhoun's way of thinking, you don't leave early if you're not a lottery pick. I would have no problem with Bazz leaving if he was a guaranteed first round pick, he is just not. I love the kid and want the best for him but leaving early would be a huge mistake. You've shown that your belief is that Bazz shouldn't turn up the chance to play in Hungary for $45,000.

Not being on the NBA radar doesn't mean you should come back. If you're not an NBA player, and Europe is your only regardless of whether you play 1 year or 4 years, then maybe you should go to Europe asap. I think KEA made the right decision. Pudgy 5'9 guys don't play in the NBA. He started earning money for his family sooner than if he stuck around. Now Bazz isn't 5'9 and pudgy, but he is 6'0 and a below average athlete for a NBA guard. If he's not on the NBA radar this year (as you claim) maybe that's a sign he's more like KEA. On the other hand, if he is on the NBA radar, then why not capitalize on it this year?

And Calhoun was not about what was best for the player - he was about what was best for UConn. Apparently just like yourself.

Reaction Score
I am very confident in stating that.......he will definitely NOT be a first round pick. And it is 50-50 at best he is drafted, at all. That being said, I am pretty certain a kid like Napier know exactly what he can make.....overseas. He can always finish his degree in the offseason. I like him, so certainly would love to see him back, but I think the likely scenario is....he leaves. And if that is the case, I hope he does great wherever he ends up.

Reaction Score
Not being on the NBA radar doesn't mean you should come back. If you're not an NBA player, and Europe is your only regardless of whether you play 1 year or 4 years, then maybe you should go to Europe asap. I think KEA made the right decision. Pudgy 5'9 guys don't play in the NBA. He started earning money for his family sooner than if he stuck around. Now Bazz isn't 5'9 and pudgy, but he is 6'0 and a below average athlete for a NBA guard. If he's not on the NBA radar this year (as you claim) maybe that's a sign he's more like KEA. On the other hand, if he is on the NBA radar, then why not capitalize on it this year?

And Calhoun was not about what was best for the player - he was about what was best for UConn. Apparently just like yourself.
You are a ducking idiot. What you said about Jim Calhoun is one of the dumbest statements ever made on this message board.

Reaction Score
But you don't think re-injuring his foot next year or having his numbers go down would hurt his stock? Those are real possibilities as well.

Yeah, those are real possibilities, but so what? If being a contributor to an NBA team is his goal, then the best way to achieve that is to come back. Who leaves early due to fear of injury just to go play in Europe? Those leagues will still be there at the end of next year if his NBA prospects don't work out for whatever reason.

Reaction Score
These guys all played their hearts out so I wish them the best in whatever they choose!

Bazz - what can you say? Helped us to a NC his freshman year, couldn't have done it without him. And last year NCAA tourney with a whacky crew and this year, a truly special year which was pretty much done with players on his back. Playing with one foot he was the man. Hope he stays, his call and whatever the decision it's a good one!

DD - he'll be back, if he becomes what we saw the last 1/4 of the year and especially the last 4 or 5 he will go real high after his junior and will get paid for that. He realized he could use his length and size to back people in and take that little jump hook or fadeaway jumpers....looked pretty damn efficient scoring the ball and started making the three too, his pay day is coming 2014.......

Boat - talented kid, electric and times and at times you want to electrocute him......he's too small to be a 2 and he proved he could not run a team efficiently without Bazz so he needs to stay one more year and continue to grow with the ball in his hands, make better decisions while setting up his teammates by giving it to them in scoring position......look he was great today in most aspects and hats off to him, but that's crazy talk about making a decision......I guess if it's not the NBA which matters then it's not.....I want Ryan back not selfishly but because I think he's still got room to be very special!!

No matter I thank all of these guys (and the whole team and staff) for a truly fantastic year, one that I was not sure I could ever buy into myself because of the post season situation but they sold me and I had a blast!!!

Wouldn't shock me if all three left.

Reaction Score
Napier will almost certainly go undrafted if he goes pro. Once you go down late in the draft, you are looking for one of two things: either project-ability, or one elite level talent. Think of guys like John Jenkins last year who made the league solely off of his shooting prowess. Napier doesn't have the speed, he isn't an elite level shooter, and he isn't an elite defender. He's literally average to below average in every category for an NBA player. With that being said, those kind of guys really fit the European mold perfectly. We all know Marcus Smart and MCW are better, but there are also some more intriguing late rd players than Bazz - Nate Wolters has the size, albeit not the speed, and is an elite level shooter and scorer, albeit very untested. Isiaiah Cannon is another example of a guy at a small school who compares very similarly to Napier.

On the counter-side, while Napier is a much better player than Boatright, I actually like Boatright's shot of being drafted better than Napier's. Some team could look at his breakneck speed and see a potential Ty Lawson if he grew into it. I think its a huge stretch, but NBA team's don't invest much when they take 2nd rounders, and Boatright's UPSIDE is higher even if his floor is much, much lower.

Overall, though, I do think Chris Smith has an interesting point. Unless Napier has reason to believe he can improve his stock (improve his D, improve his speed, advance to a 45% 3 pt shooter), maybe he should just go pro and head to Europe. He really does fit the mold of a 25 ppg scorer over there down the road.

Reaction Score
You are a ducking idiot. What you said about Jim Calhoun is one of the dumbest statements ever made on this message board.

Graduation rates. Transfers. Stanley Robinson. Michael Bradley.

Argument over.

Reaction Score
Yeah, those are real possibilities, but so what? If being a contributor to an NBA team is his goal, then the best way to achieve that is to come back. Who leaves early due to fear of injury just to go play in Europe? Those leagues will still be there at the end of next year if his NBA prospects don't work out for whatever reason.

Exactly, we don't know what Shabazz's goal is, so how are people saying what is unequivocally best for him? I don't know what his goals are, so I won't pretend to guess what's best for him. Does he want a degree? Does he want $? Does he want another NCAA run? And if he does want $, there are too many unknowns to know what is best for him.

Reaction Score
Graduation rates. Transfers. Stanley Robinson. Michael Bradley.

Argument over.

Wow. Breaking news. Jim Calhoun isn't perfect.

As for the other side of the argument, talk to some former players - they'll make it for you. Here are a few suggestions - Kevin Ollie, Caron, Kemba, and yes, Stanley. His players love him, that's why they all come back and the family is so strong. Make the connection.

Reaction Score
If Shabazz comes back, 4 general scenarios can happen:

1. He improves significantly -
How likely is this to happen? Every other player in the country is hoping to take their game to the next level too. What makes Bazz likely to increase relative to these other players? Bazz has physical limitiations, and is coming off a great statistical season - how much more can he improve?
Even if this is the case, is it enough to compensate for him being another year older and for their being a stronger draft class? Is it the difference between being a second round pick and a first?

2. He stays the same - his draft stock falls because next year is projected to have a stronger draft class and because Shabazz is another year older (and thus is viewed as having less developmental potential by NBA teams)

3. He gets worse - his draft stock falls

4. He gets hurt significantly - his draft stock falls

The tough thing is trying to gage the likelihood of each scenario, and also gaging the financial repercussions of each. Hopefully Bazz gets the right information from the right people.

I hope he comes back, but I have no idea if he will. There are very good reasons on both sides.

Reaction Score
Wow. Breaking news. Jim Calhoun isn't perfect.

As for the other side of the argument, talk to some former players - they'll make it for you. Here are a few suggestions - Kevin Ollie, Caron, Kemba, and yes, Stanley. His players love him, that's why they all come back and the family is so strong. Make the connection.

Of course the guys who things have worked out for love Calhoun. What about the guys who things haven't worked out for? The guys that didn't graduate or transferred? There's been way too many of those guys. And what is Robinson supposed to say? That he blames Calhoun? That's a good way to shoot yourself in the foot.

Reaction Score
Exactly, we don't know what Shabazz's goal is, so how are people saying what is unequivocally best for him? I don't know what his goals are, so I won't pretend to guess what's best for him. Does he want a degree? Does he want $? Does he want another NCAA run? And if he does want $, there are too many unknowns to know what is best for him.
Come on now. No, short of him coming out and telling us, we can't be positive what his goals are, but let's be realistic. I'd be willing to wager a large sum of money that his goal, probably since he was very young, is to play in the NBA. I'd say it's a relatively safe assumption to make.

But for the sake of argument, let's say his goal is to make money. Considering the difference in money between what he'd make in the NBA (even assuming league minimum) versus what he'd make in Europe, I'm still not convinced that the math doesn't show that the right play is to take a shot at the NBA.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
I can tell you. His goal, like most high major players is to make the NBA and make millions. Your sugesstion that he go play internationaly now presupposes that he's not good enough to make the nba ever and should start earning now. I disagree with that supposition

Reaction Score
This guy's a troll. If he were not, he wouldn't have attacked JC about obvious things like having his players best interest at heart.

Rudy and Caron wanted to come back, and he made them leave. UConn could have won a title in 2003, and would have been much better in 2007, if players he told to go pro came back.

Reaction Score
Come on now. No, short of him coming out and telling us, we can't be positive what his goals are, but let's be realistic. I'd be willing to wager a large sum of money that his goal, probably since he was very young, is to play in the NBA. I'd say it's a relatively safe assumption to make.

But for the sake of argument, let's say his goal is to make money. Considering the difference in money between what he'd make in the NBA (even assuming league minimum) versus what he'd make in Europe, I'm still not convinced that the math doesn't show that the right play is to take a shot at the NBA.

I would actually assume his goal is money more than the NBA. But neither of us know.

But you're getting to the right point - if his goal is money, you have to do the math. Does coming back for another year increase his chances at the NBA? There's certainly an argument both ways. If it does, does it increase them enough to account for the lost year of earnings? I have no idea, and I would guess neither does anyone on this board.

People are trying to make this two simple. Coming back doesn't automatically make an NBA career more likely. And if it does, it doesn't automatically mean more money.

Reaction Score
This guy's a troll. If he were not, he wouldn't have attacked JC about obvious things like having his players best interest at heart.

Rudy and Caron wanted to come back, and he made them leave. UConn could have won a title in 2003, and would have been much better in 2007, if players he told to go pro came back.

No. CT born and raised. Sister has a UConn MD. Father has a UConn masters. I took a couple of UConn classes. Many good friends that went to UConn. I have attended many games and watch most games. Not a troll, just not a lemming.

I like Jim Calhoun. I think he's one of the best college basketball coaches of all time. I think he did tremendous things for the University and the state. With that said, he wasn't perfect. I wish he did a better job for many of the guys that left the program without degrees and with out professional careers.

If you think Calhoun was perfect, than you're blind.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom