I was at the game and ceremony and Bazz's tearful reaction makes me wonder... | The Boneyard

I was at the game and ceremony and Bazz's tearful reaction makes me wonder...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
500x354

Bazz's tearful reaction during the ceremony makes me wonder if we saw the last of him in a UConn uniform. I hope I'm reading into this and that he'll return for his senior season.

I don't ever wish an injury on any player, but I do wonder if his foot injury and the lack of having a post season to showcase his skills will keep him here for one more year.

I'm not sure how much another year will help his draft position. The 2013 draft is supposed to be weak. I think the only 3 things he can improve in over the next year or so would be his body (try to get a little bigger and stronger), consistency (put up big time points with improved percentage on a more consistent basis) and lead-guard skills (improvements in seeing the floor better and distributing to teammates).

Bazz from day one became one of my favorite Huskies. Selfishly, I'd like to see one more year of him. Even though he plays below the rim, I think his range, BBIQ and shot-making abilities can land him a back-up combo guard in the NBA. The league is filled with guys that come off the bench and are asked to score while the first unit gets their rest. I think he fits the bill.

If today was your last as a Husky, I just want to thank you, Shabazz Napier, for all the memories and exciting plays throughout the past 3 years. You will always be our Mr. Big Shot!

Reaction Score
I thought the same thing. With him not playing the last two games to make sure he'd be able to play at Gampel one last time. I hope otherwise, but the combination of the two make me believe that he's gone.

Reaction Score
I think he is gone and I can't blame him for going if he does. Going to be a weak draft class and he had a hell of a year on a team that had nothing but pride to play for.

If he comes back I will be ecstatic and we should all consider ourselves lucky if that does happen.

Reaction Score
Just read 'Ollie's take' on amore blog. Ollie calls Napier a special player. When discussing Daniels he said "he's going to be great next year", didn't mention it when talking about Napier. it sucks he's probably gone. I'm expecting boat back though. Would be ludicrous if he left

Reaction Score
I really like Shabazz, but I don't think he gets drafted in the first round, even in a weak class.

I'd wager, just among PGs, that he'd go behind:

Trey Burke
Michael Carter-Williams
Marcus Smart

And then he's in a pig pile with a bunch of other guards ranging from Kabongo to Erick Green. I'm not sure it gets better next year, but so many times you see stellar play on the big stage get rewarded. I mean, someone picked Trajan Langdon in the f'in lottery! You make a deep run, you likely get selected.

Reaction Score
Just can't imagine him leaving, it would be a really bad decision. He won't be drafted and he has a chance at the title next year.

Reaction Score
I had a feeling Bazz playing would mean 2 things.

A. There is no way in hell im letting us lose to Providence going into next year

B. Im not letting my final game be in street clothes against our rivals, want to end my Uconn career in style and show the NBA scouts that im fine.

If he does leave it puts another Uconn player into the NBA, if he does leave you would think its because hes a 1st rounder. So I dont get my hopes up I say he leaves, hoping to be pleasantly surprised.

Reaction Score
Just read 'Ollie's take' on amore blog. Ollie calls Napier a special player. When discussing Daniels he said "he's going to be great next year", didn't mention it when talking about Napier. it sucks he's probably gone. I'm expecting boat back though. Would be ludicrous if he left

I hope that doesnt mean hes leaving, maybe Ollie didnt discuss him much because Bazz is already an established player for Uconn and Daniels still has room for improvement.

Reaction Score
Just can't imagine him leaving, it would be a really bad decision. He won't be drafted and he has a chance at the title next year.

Take the fan cap off for a moment.

Why is it a bad decision? I think he will get drafted, though maybe not in the first round. Even if he's a second round pick, he'll make half a million next year. Or he could play for UConn for free tuition.

That's lots of reasons to stay and lots of reasons to go. I'm not sure either is a bad decision at all.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
They'll test the waters. Between JC and KO they have more than enough NBA contacts to get a read. If SN gets interest they will encourage him to go pro. The important thing is KO and JC love this kid enough to think about his needs more than UConn's needs and that will always be known by future recruits.

It's a bittersweet moment for most of us fans because we appreciate what SN has done for UConn and would love to have him back. But most of us are also wishing he could get a great NBA contract because of this appreciation. I'll have to suck it up and say it's a win win for UConn and myself as a fan.

If SN makes it into the league KO will have something to show recruits. If SN returns, next year can be exciting.

patrick

Hurley4#6
Reaction Score
OMFG WOULD WE BE SPECIAL IF HE COMES BACK!!!

Reaction Score
Take the fan cap off for a moment.

Why is it a bad decision? I think he will get drafted, though maybe not in the first round. Even if he's a second round pick, he'll make half a million next year. Or he could play for UConn for free tuition.

That's lots of reasons to stay and lots of reasons to go. I'm not sure either is a bad decision at all.
He's not guaranteed making half a million. Stanley Robinson was drafted in the second round, and now he's working locally in the area.

The reason that you don't go early if you're not guaranteed a spot in the Top 20-25 is that if you happen to fall into the second round, if you want to keep playing, get ready to go to Europe.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
If you are not 1st round pick and you can be a 1st round pick by coming back, yes, it's a bad decision. Being a 2nd round pick is not good. It's better to go undrafted in many cases.

Reaction Score

I think he gets drafted but I think he'll be a 2nd round pick and therefore won't have anything guaranteed. The point isn't whether or not, if he leaves this year, he'll end up in the first round with a guaranteed contract...its that this is his best shot to get drafted and he should at the very least explore the possibility of declaring.

Reaction Score
He's not guaranteed making half a million. Stanley Robinson was drafted in the second round, and now he's working locally in the area.

The reason that you don't go early if you're not guaranteed a spot in the Top 20-25 is that if you happen to fall into the second round, if you want to keep playing, get ready to go to Europe.
Take off the fan cap? What? If he was a lottery pick I would absolutely tell him to leave but there isn't a chance in hell he is, he won't be a first round pick either. Second round picks don't get guaranteed contracts and there is certainly no guarantee that he will be a second round pick. UConn fans love Shabazz and think he's great, the rest of the basketball world doesn't. He just isn't on the nba radar right now.

Reaction Score
I really can not think of a single reason he will stay- unless making another run in the NCAA is important to him and he thinks that will put him in a better position then a weak draft.
But if Bazz can go and make some real money playing in the pros next year- either the NBA or Europe and he has earned that chance if it is what he wants to do.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
I don't doubt he's considering it. We've had that posted here and we all can rationally conclude he's close enough for it to be a legit decision. That alone is justification for his emotional reaction. If there is a chance that his ride is over than he would of course be moved in the way he was.

But, that reaction also exemplifies the other half of the decision. And with Bazz it is not as clear cut as it has been with our previous early exits.

Many will over simplify the decision and preemptively discredit Bazz because with him we are a contender and without him there are legitimate concerns next year. I hope the majority avoid that.

Reaction Score
I really can not think of a single reason he will stay- unless making another run in the NCAA is important to him and he thinks that will put him in a better position then a weak draft.
But if Bazz can go and make some real money playing in the pros next year- either the NBA or Europe and he has earned that chance if it is what he wants to do.
You think leaving early to go play in Europe is a good decision? I'm confused by a lot of the posts in this thread.

Reaction Score
I think he gets drafted but I think he'll be a 2nd round pick and therefore won't have anything guaranteed. The point isn't whether or not, if he leaves this year, he'll end up in the first round with a guaranteed contract...its that this is his best shot to get drafted and he should at the very least explore the possibility of declaring.
How do you know this is his "best shot to get drafted?" He had a great season, but the reality is he is behind a ton of guards at this point for the draft. We have all heard about how the draft is this year compared to next, but he is a 2nd round pick this year at best. If he comes back, has another great year, and has the exposure of being on a top 10 team and an NCAA run...well then he may slid into the 1st round. How many players have we seen that happen to lately?

Reaction Score
Look--I support the kid no matter what.

Kids grow up in the US wanting to play in the NBA. The best way to do that is to be drafted in the first round. Back in 2000, Chicago drafted Jamal Crawford in the first round, and Khalid El-Amin in the second. KEA was outplaying Crawford, and getting a decent amount of run (got invited to the Freshman-Sophomore game). But Chicago was giving Crawford guaranteed money, and so they got rid of KEA and played Crawford more.

Once a player is cut loose, you need to find the right situation to stay in the league, and that is easier said than done. You also get less of the coaching resources. It just gets difficult. So, I say, you stay until you are a first round lock (often achieved by clutch play in big games) or until you have to leave.

Reaction Score

You're right, there are no guarantees. No guarantees this year, no guarantees next year. So why is he better off going pro next year?
And there's nothing wrong with going to Europe. If all he is is a European player, why not get an extra year of playing Europe?

Reaction Score
You're right, there are no guarantees. No guarantees this year, no guarantees next year. So why is he better off going pro next year?
And there's nothing wrong with going to Europe. If all he is is a European player, why not get an extra year of playing Europe?
See my previous post. I'd bet money "pro" to him is synonymous with NBA.

There is a small chance he makes the first round this year. Very small.

In 2010, if you asked pro scouts about Kemba, you did not hear good things. Borderline first rounder, probably in the second. And then Kemba out-Kemba'd everyone, and he was a lottery selection.

That's why you come back unless you know you're in the first round. Even with Khalid El-Amin, I sort of understood. He had, what, 3 kids?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom