I Have A Question- And I’m Serious | Page 2 | The Boneyard

I Have A Question- And I’m Serious

Reaction Score
No no no.

Pitino will never coach anywhere again unless it's for some foreign basketball league.

Calhoun would never allow such a hire to take over the program he built.
Honestly, what involvement does JC still have with the program? It really has become KO’s now, essentially unrecognizable from 5 years ago. Along with the rumors that JC and KO don’t get along anymore, I wonder if JC has kind of washed his hands clean of UConn.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Rick Pitino is absolutely unemployable.

It’s virtually guaranteed that he’ll be hit with a show cause. Any school hiring him would also hire the sanctions that come with him.

It’s like putting yourself on voluntarily probation for no particular reason.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
I’m surprised someone hasn’t said, “Calipari will likely be in the same position soon - if Rick doesn’t work out, we could snap him up.”

Reaction Score
I agree with Fishy but watching Bruce Pearl running around inciting the Auburn crowd yesterday was enough to make me puke.
Are you telling me the BP quote "Guys we are up by 35 but play like we are down by 10 the rest of the game!!!!!!!!!!!!!! BUT STAY CLASSY while you do it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" -BP

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Didn't make you want to puke? That was one for the ages! Totally puke worthy with Mustapha smiling ear to ear while he said it!

LOL OMFG!

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Rick Pitino is absolutely unemployable.

It’s virtually guaranteed that he’ll be hit with a show cause. Any school hiring him would also hire the sanctions that come with him.

It’s like putting yourself on voluntarily probation for no particular reason.
A show cause only prohibits the hiring (absent 'showing cause') after it is imposed. It isn't retroactive as far as I am aware. That said Pitino isn't the answer. Neither is Calhoun for that matter, although he could be a stop gap measure. I doubt he'd want it though.

Reaction Score
No no no.

Pitino will never coach anywhere again unless it's for some foreign basketball league.

Calhoun is revered for what he has done for UConn in the past. Done. Unless he’s willing to step back in he has ZERO demand in who comes next. Let him give his opinion, fine. He lobbyed and gave us KO who can’t coach, get or keep players. Believe me, I would have liked to been wrong about all that.

Reaction Score
I guess I'm just confused why we haven't put all of our focus on luring a guy like Kermit Davis or John Becker, the former being a CT native. It's still the UConn job. It's got to have some appeal.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
A show cause only prohibits the hiring (absent 'showing cause') after it is imposed. It isn't retroactive as far as I am aware. That said Pitino isn't the answer. Neither is Calhoun for that matter, although he could be a stop gap measure. I doubt he'd want it though.

It’s absolutely does not prohibit hiring. You can hire anyone you want, but if they’re hit with a show cause, you have to go before the NCAA and explain to them why the sanctions placed upon your coach should not also be brought to bear on your institution. (The NCAA won’t care, which is guys like Sampson and Pearl get hired after the show cause expires.)

Hiring the guy now before the sanctions hit would not magically exempt you from the show cause if it’s imposed.

The show cause was put in place to specifically address this exact scenario.

QDOG5

I dont have a drug problem I have a police problem
Reaction Score
I guess it is not too surprising that KO is struggling. The success rate of an assistant taking over for a legend is quite low.

Reaction Score
Don't care how dirty Pitino was (is), hire him. Hey, Penn State has come back from a worse situation. So has fake classes UNC. And, how long before L'ville slips off the hook. Pitino would be for UConn, the cost for being continously great.
At least we aren’t an Addidas school!!

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
It’s absolutely does not prohibit hiring. You can hire anyone you want, but if they’re hit with a show cause, you have to go before the NCAA and explain to them why the sanctions placed upon your coach should not also be brought to bear on your institution.

Which is exactly what I said in the post you quoted.
A show cause only prohibits the hiring (absent 'showing cause') after it is imposed.

Where we do actually differ is whether it is retroactive. I'm pretty confident it is not but I haven't looked at it specifically. So there is no sanction against the institution for the hire and there would not be a retroactive sanction against the institution. I think what you maybe thinking of is that the penalty against the coach would be in place regardless of where he was coaching. That is a risk. So if a coach got a ban on say contacting recruits at institution A, it would still be in place at institution B until the penalty ran its course. IIRC, this is exactly what happened with Pearl, who was still under sanction with an show cause penalty when he was hired at Auburn.

Regardless, I don't think that Pitino is the answer for us.

Reaction Score
No no no.

Ahh. The program that Calhoun built, has left the building with Elvis.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
Here's my take on Pikiell and Hurley, they will both be rah rah solid coaches. They will bring in similar players to what we have, maybe a better one or 2. They will probably get more out of them but ultimately we will not win NC's with them, neither look to me like they can make that happen. Go after the game changer, not the coach who just does it better. Not sure who that is or if they can do it, but I believe he's out there and AD David Benedict needs to find him!

Heck maybe it's Geno with ACCD taking the women?

Geno would finally get the chance to shut up all the critics who claim he could never be successful coaching men.

QDOG5

I dont have a drug problem I have a police problem
Reaction Score
Geno would finally get the chance to shut up all the critics who claim he could never be successful coaching men.
I'd take Geno in a heartbeat but I put the odds at 10%.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I'd take Geno in a heartbeat but I put the odds at 10%.
Geno has said numerous times he's not interested in coaching college men. The recruiting is harder, and more cutthroat, and Geno has zero desire to deal with posses, agents, shoe companies, and other hanger-oners. He has said the dream post-UConn gig for him would be as assistant for an NBA team, and he probably has the connections to get one.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom