I am so upset with the way Geno is handling Megan Walker | Page 7 | The Boneyard

I am so upset with the way Geno is handling Megan Walker

Reaction Score
I know from what I saw if her I wanted to see her get more run. She actually wasn't afraid to shoot and looked really good out there. I think this is a bigger loss than most think especially long term... not good

It will be fine. Last year's team went 36-1 after losing Stewart, Jefferson and Tuck. UCONN will be fine even though they lost a 50th rated recruit.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Understand one thing. Geno knows exactly what he is doing. MW came here to become a star. Geno will make her a star. It wont be easy but it will be worth it. He's getting her ready mentally for the NCAAs where she will shine. I learned along time ago when somebody makes alot more money at what he does then you, you better watch what he does and duplicate it in most instances. Theres a reason why he does what he does and what he does is a direct reflection of where his team is.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Which makes AEH transferring so puzzling right? She commited so early and one would think a lot of interaction with staff and players. She also earned her way on court with very positive results.
No more puzzling than any transfer. It's that "Careful what you wish for" rule. Studying medicine is far different than your reaction to the real clinical process. The Police Academy is world's apart from the neighborhood beat. You can't know what your response will be to circumstance. Not now nor will I ever conjecture on the reason why a freshman moves on. Far more puzzling to me is why more haven't.

Reaction Score
It will be fine. Last year's team went 36-1 after losing Stewart, Jefferson and Tuck. UCONN will be fine even though they lost a 50th rated recruit.

I agree they will be fine especially with CW committed and by all accounts she's terrific. I really don't know about the ratings but she was going to be very important. She was going to have a year under her belt and a big off season to improve and know what to expect for her soph campaign. I will be very interested to see the rest of her career unfold.

I'm worried about guard as Kia graduates. I hope Geno gets Megan and MC some good run down the stretch. As highly touted as CW is there will most likely be a learning curve.

Reaction Score
No more puzzling than any transfer. It's that "Careful what you wish for" rule. Studying medicine is far different than your reaction to the real clinical process. The Police Academy is world's apart from the neighborhood beat. You can't know what your response will be to circumstance. Not now nor will I ever conjecture on the reason why a freshman moves on. Far more puzzling to me is why more haven't.

I guess. As an observer it seemed like things were clicking for her. Clearly not. I wish her well. I think she's going to be better than some think on here.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
I've been wanting to ask you this question for awhile: Are you a fan of Justine or do you have a real relationship with her ?
I'm a fan. Oh! You'r not asking me, are you.

Reaction Score
Understand one thing. Geno knows exactly what he is doing. MW came here to become a star. Geno will make her a star. It wont be easy but it will be worth it. He's getting her ready mentally for the NCAAs where she will shine. I learned along time ago when somebody makes alot more money at what he does then you, you better watch what he does and duplicate it in most instances. Theres a reason why he does what he does and what he does is a direct reflection of where his team is.

Your predicting a stewie like freshman year then? Having it all click come tournament time?

Reaction Score
I agree they will be fine especially with CW committed and by all accounts she's terrific. I really don't know about the ratings but she was going to be very important. She was going to have a year under her belt and a big off season to improve and know what to expect for her soph campaign. I will be very interested to see the rest of her career unfold.

I'm worried about guard as Kia graduates. I hope Geno gets Megan and MC some good run down the stretch. As highly touted as CW is there will most likely be a learning curve.

A learning curve is fine. UCONN did fine with Nurse's freshman learning curve. Did fine with Doty's freshman learning curve. Did fine with the Strother/Turner freshman learning curve. Next year UCONN has a "core 4" "as a worst case scenario." But with Walker, Coombs and CWill I think the chances at least one of them wouldn't be a competent 5th starter is none.

And imo the chances of not having an "Capable enough" 6th and 7th bench players (not starters but at worst "good enough" bench players) between Walker, CWill, Coombs, Gordon, Irwin, Camara and Ono is near nil. And imo I'm being generous for those thta are nervous by calling the odd "near nil." It actuall is imo "nil" - barring injury or transfers.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
What's your point? Some of the players that don't feel they are helping the team and don't play much stay too. And yes -- others leave. You feel every player should be awarded minutes and Geno should do what it takes in terms of awarding minutes in order to make them stay?
My point is, I was answering a post that has nothing to do with you or your question.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
I'm disappointed that Megan's not playing more because I think she's fun to watch. Nothing more, though.

I like Justine, but I still miss Kerith. Evidently she's doing sideline for the Warriors' games now; good for her.

Reaction Score
I'm a fan. Oh! You'r not asking me,
I'm a fan. Oh! You'r not asking me, are you.

No, I wasn't, but thank you for responding (Which is more than the poster who the question was directed to has done). My guess is, like a lot of us, "JustinesGuy" is just a fan too.

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
Rellah Boothe. She has said she will win multiple NCs at Texas. From Florida, so probably had Kenny Kallina building her up. Currently warming the bench for the Longhorns. Some question her conditioning. Would love to see Megan have a great game tomorrow!

Thanks j66kicker...knew I read it somewhere

Reaction Score
I would say that I'm concerned. I can't recall another #1-ranked HS AA coming into UConn and not making a big impact her freshman year. Certainly they can have difficulties. But half-way through the season being benched in a blow-out while the rest of the bench plays? Wow!!! I've never seen that from a #1 at UConn.
/QUOTE]

You can read the same exact comments during Stewart and Jefferson's freshmen years as you are now about Walker.

He has benched Stewart, Taurasi, and Maya before during games so I am not sure why you feel the need to say something that is false

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
This thread is going downhill fast...

I went to a pre-season game of the Cleveland Cavs against the Celtics when LeBron was beginning his 2nd year in the league, and I was immediately blown away by his presence. I've never again felt that magic until I went to the Huskies first exhibition and within a minute of Meg's appearance on the court knew I was watching someone with supernal basketball instincts and talents. She moves so differently, her timing is perfect, her ability to create, etc. I've been an over-the-moon fan of hers on every post I can express myself.

If I've established my bona fides relative to Meg, I will say that I don't understand why anyone thinks Geno is "mishandling" her. Sure, in the last game, she didn't get in until the end. But as Nan said, we don't know what's going on with her physically. We also aren't privy (thank goodness!) to all the contact between players and coaching staff that goes on outside of games. We just have no idea of the conversations. Geno has trusted her big time in important moments. That's all I need to know.
between Lebron and Megan... you didnt see Maya?

Reaction Score
Somehow I think AEH and/or her parents might argue with him.

So what? That wouldn’t mean they were right! I am positive that she was not promised anything except an opportunity to play basketball for the greatest coach, program in the history of women’s basketball! I am also positive that she was told that the opportunity would be contingent on her willingness/ability to do what Geno and the rest of the staff wanted her to do!I guarantee Geno is completely unconcerned about her decision to transfer in basketball terms! I’m sure he is concerned with her personal, academic, emotional,and basketball well-being as a young woman he clearly cares about and respected enough to want her to come here, but there is no chance(nor should there be) that he would compromise or change his fundamental methods of coaching to please a recruit, her parents, or anyone else! If he did, UCONN would not have 11 titles, innumerable records, and he personally, the virtually universal love and respect of all his former players!

Reaction Score
Are you a fan of Justine?

I know you did not ask me, either.

But I believe there's a serious conspiracy going on: Kerith Burke and Justine Ward are actually the same person.

I have not been able to prove it yet.

Reaction Score
Your uncomfortability or even maybe your disagreement isn't with me, it's with Geno's methods, which have proven to be the most successful in the history of CBB.

I was thinking about Elena Della Donne's abrupt departure as a freshman. And how much Elena loves and respects Geno now. "Not the right fit" means exactly that. The how, why, and wherefores play out in the game of life thereafter. No reason to slot this right or wrong. Trust both sides, as Geno always does, and let's see how AEH grows, no?

Reaction Score
I was thinking about Elena Della Donne's abrupt departure as a freshman. And how much Elena loves and respects Geno now. "Not the right fit" means exactly that. The how, why, and wherefores play out in the game of life thereafter. No reason to slot this right or wrong. Trust both sides, as Geno always does, and let's see how AEH grows, no?

Found this in my morning emails.

Girls basketball: Ossining alumna Andra Espinoza-Hunter opens up about transferring from UConn
“I just realized UConn wasn’t really a good fit for me,” Espinoza-Hunter said, when reached by phone Friday evening.

Girls basketball: Ossining alumna Andra Espinoza-Hunter opens up about transferring from UConn

Reaction Score
So what? That wouldn’t mean they were right! I am positive that she was not promised anything except an opportunity to play basketball for the greatest coach, program in the history of women’s basketball! I am also positive that she was told that the opportunity would be contingent on her willingness/ability to do what Geno and the rest of the staff wanted her to do!I guarantee Geno is completely unconcerned about her decision to transfer in basketball terms! I’m sure he is concerned with her personal, academic, emotional,and basketball well-being as a young woman he clearly cares about and respected enough to want her to come here, but there is no chance(nor should there be) that he would compromise or change his fundamental methods of coaching to please a recruit, her parents, or anyone else! If he did, UCONN would not have 11 titles, innumerable records, and he personally, the virtually universal love and respect of all his former players!
“So what?” Totally not an unexpected response.

Reaction Score
I may not know nearly as much about basketball however I know a lot about managing people.

I hate saying all this but let’s see how this plays out.

And you slept at a Holiday Inn last night

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Geno is pissing her off for this Texas game... #possum remember she was heavily recruited by the Longhorns

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom