I’d probably cancel the Hurley presser | Page 12 | The Boneyard

I’d probably cancel the Hurley presser

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
There are so many young and new players that expecting a ".350 hitter" is a ridiculous stance.

Bottom line; if kids are improving, it's happening for two reasons. They are working hard and they are being coached. I know that neither reason seems to fit the narrative here, but that's the truth regardless...

I was referring to the team as a whole. Almost chance we'll ever be a .350 again. But I do think we can be a .280-300 hitter.

Reaction Score
You can argue all you want about underachieving, but if the minimum bar for achievement is Sweet 16 or we've underachieved, that's going to leave many spoiled, entitled Husky fans miserable most of the time. We finished in the top 32 in 2016, a significant improvement over the NIT finish in 2015.

Underachieving is relative to the potential or expectations of that team, not relative to previous teams. The 2016 team should have been better than they were during the regular season. They underachieved.

Over the last decade:
2009 - Achieved expectations (were expected to be dominant wire-to-wire and were)
2010- Underachieved badly
2011 - Overachieved greatly
2012- Underachieved badly
2013 - Overachieved
2014 - Overachieved after a regular season that was about to expectations or a little below
2015 - Underachieved somewhat
2016 - Underachieved
2017 - Underachieved
2018 - Underachieving

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Underachieving is relative to the potential or expectations of that team, not relative to previous teams. The 2016 team should have been better than they were during the regular season. They underachieved.

Over the last decade:
2009 - Achieved expectations (were expected to be dominant wire-to-wire and were)
2010- Underachieved badly
2011 - Overachieved greatly
2012- Underachieved badly
2013 - Overachieved
2014 - Overachieved after a regular season that was about to expectations or a little below
2015 - Underachieved somewhat
2016 - Underachieved
2017 - Underachieved
2018 - Underachieving
Seriously?

You have to qualify a season that ended with a national title? The end result wasn't good enough for you?

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
Seriously?

You have to qualify a season that ended with a national title? The end result wasn't good enough for you?

Of course he does. The lengths to which revisionist history is spun to support the "Fire Ollie!" initiative are worse than watching the Democrat and Republican sychophants spinning election debates after the fact, or perhaps that should be in spite of the fact.

The new bar has been set. Nothing short of not only a natty, but also dominating from Nov. 1 through and including the NC game in April, will be good enough going forward. It's what they call a revolution of rising expectations.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
Of course he does. The lengths to which revisionist history is spun to support the "Fire Ollie!" initiative are worse than watching the Democrat and Republican sychophants spinning election debates after the fact, or perhaps that should be in spite of the fact.

The new bar has been set. Nothing short of not only a natty, but also dominating from Nov. 1 through and including the NC game in April will be good enough going forward. It's what they call a revolution of rising expectations.
LOL. We have missed the tourney 3 of 4 years, including this year, and the one we made was basically a fluke. We have been patient enough with a coach that makes $3m a year.

Reaction Score

The new bar has been set. Nothing short of not only a natty, but also dominating from Nov. 1 through and including the NC game in April will be good enough going forward. It's what they call a revolution of rising expectations.
no one actually has those expectations, regardless of what strawmaster @Stairmaster tells you

UConnNick

Reaction Score
no one actually has those expectations, regardless of what strawmaster @Stairmaster tells you

I was being somewhat facetious in response to Tenspro2002, who seems to think the 2014 NC team didn't earn quite enough style points during the regular season.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
I was being somewhat facetious in response to Tenspro2002, who seems to think the 2014 NC team didn't earn quite enough style points during the regular season.

The 2014 team only beat BC by two and a down Indiana team by one point. They were also a Tyler Olander 3 (WTF?!) away from losing to UMD on a neutral court, and the margin against cupcake Loyola was only 10. How is that not disappointing to you?!?

Reaction Score
The 2014 team only beat BC by two and a down Indiana team by one point. They were also a Tyler Olander 3 (WTF?!) away from losing to UMD on a neutral court, and the margin against cupcake Loyola was only 10. How is that not disappointing to you?!?

You forgot the Brimah St Joes play which voids the national championship entirely.

UConnNick

Reaction Score

You're right. Thanks for pointing out those warts I'd forgotten about. Only absolute perfection is good enough. I'm also still disturbed by those uncalled for remarks Shabazz made about the NCAA after the NC game.

Reaction Score
LOL. We have missed the tourney 3 of 4 years, including this year, and the one we made was basically a fluke. We have been patient enough with a coach that makes $3m a year.
Wait, why was the tourney we did make a fluke? Or "basically a fluke"?

sammydabiz

I sport NewBalance sneakers to avoid a narrow path
Reaction Score
He's implying that the prayer 3 JA made in the AAC tournament against cincy which eventually paved the way to AAC tourney championship....got us into the NCAA's that year

Reaction Score
Seriously?

What about the statement is untrue? They were about what they were expected to be in the regular season. They went off in the tournament. Neither one of those statements is untrue. And considering the disparity in overall performance between that team pre-tournament and in-tournament, it's important to reconcile. They're the second lowest seed to ever win the tournament.

Reaction Score

Wasn't a fluke, but hitting full court shots is pretty lucky. We were a 9 seed. Far from world beaters.

Reaction Score
Wasn't a fluke, but hitting full court shots is pretty lucky. We were a 9 seed. Far from world beaters.
Right, but we didn't make the tourney because of that shot. It helped our seeding but we would've been an at large without it.

Reaction Score
Wow there’s actually some sane intelligent reasonable people left on the BY.... unfortunately we’re out numbered.... the only reason there should be any discussion as to keeping KO should be the cost of the buyout and whether it’s feasible to pay not whether KO deserves to be retained based on the incompetence he has consistently shown in every aspect of his job resulting in the pathetic state the UConn men’s basketball currently is in. We have a UConn room, a UCONN Christmas tree, every game day was a family get together event with ( I have 6 kids) all of my kids and a few of their friends coming over for pizza and the UConn game . now I get dad call me at half time and if they’re not down by 20 or more pause the dvr and we’ll fly over. I’ve been to 2 UConn championship games and was in Orlando for the AACT ( the JA 70 ft shot forever in my favorite moments). KO has become an embarrassment, the program has become an embarrassment .... the play on the court well you know the rest. The Perno teams played harder then the team that we now have. It’s not bad luck it’s bad coaching plain and simple. Didn’t Ohio St just replace their coach and they’re probably going to make the NCAAT this year .... 1 year... think about that

To be fair - I think it's a great deal more complicated than that. Ollie hasn't been good. 3 of 4 seasons not making the tournament. Most to all of his teams underachieved. He's also had the challenge of following one of the greatest college basketball coaches in history. He's had the challenge of sanctions. He's had the new challenge of recruiting in a conference that's hard to recruit it. He's had injuries to deal with... Every bad hand that could be dealt, he's basically had to try and make the best of.

But the last few years - player defections en masse, de-commits, coaches leaving, consistent problems presenting themselves over and over on the court... He's coached himself out of a job, I think. We'll see what the rest of the season holds, I hope i'm wrong - but I just don't see exciting things coming. But it's been part Ollie. Part a whole bunch of stuff he can't control and has had to manage.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom