I’d probably cancel the Hurley presser | Page 11 | The Boneyard

I’d probably cancel the Hurley presser

sammydabiz

I sport NewBalance sneakers to avoid a narrow path
Reaction Score
Complete BS, two players might go. That is normal with the NCAA now a days
Sure... Just like last year right. There was a bunch of minutes to be had, but said players chose to sit a year, rather than play another minute under Ollie.
It's a growing trend, whether you like it or not, but to just slough it off as bs, is a bit disingenuous imo

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
If only we had someone responsible for having his players ready last year.

Can we please get a filter that removes any excuses related to Larrier and AG injuries? Both risks were known to KO and he failed to secure any insurance against them going down, all the while running a solid recruiting class out of town and snoozing through the recruiting season.

In what possible way should he have known Larrier would get an ACL? Or were you talking after? You can't say someone with an ACL is injury prone. It happens to anybody.

That said, he secured a replacement for both guys. One never showed up (MAL), which is totally KO's fault. And the other bungled his commitment (Wilson); no idea what was going on there. Then there's the Hamidou thing.

It wasn't lack of foresight, but poor execution. Which has been a problem on and off the court.

RipCity

Absolute Savage
Reaction Score
Complete BS by u. Tate is not a 4 star. His only other offer of note is from UMASS. The only reason Hurley is having anything resembling a top class is because the quantity of his recruits. Not the quality. Haris is a 4 star I know. The other are all low 200s. Ollie has been and will be a much better coach then Hurley. Look at what is said on TV n from the prep coaches. Hurley always has 10 losses despite being in a mediocre conference and not playing anyone of note
0B5BE593-8FD4-4D5A-8F13-33315EA4E11F.png

Ollie may have been better in 2014, but he’s not anymore. There’s basically zero evidence you have shown to prove otherwise. Harris is higher rated than Akinjo too. Idk what you have against Hurley, but I’m done arguing with you because you’re just being ignorant at this point.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
There are a bunch of folks on the board (and elsewhere) whose minds are already made up. There's not going to be any convincing them otherwise. Even though Carlton is coming along, Whaley is coming along, hell even DO gave us a good game a week ago. Polley has a sweet stroke and he's finally seen one go down, so maybe it comes together for him too. Vital is starting to feel it again, dropping 15 on Nova and playing a little more efficiently.

They're developing. But folks here want Ollie gone yesterday, and they actually don't care if the product improves if the same guy is in charge unfortunately...

I UCONN was a baseball player, the've been batting the Mendoza line. Now, they may have improved to .215 or .220. But that doesn't make you a major league hitter. Ideally, UCONN should be a .280-.300 hitter. For reference, JC was a .350 hitter.

My point is that improvement is important, and has happened in fits and starts with this team. But they started from such a low level, that, even with the improvement, the final product doesn't remotely approach passable, never mind good.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
View attachment 28038
Ollie may have been better in 2014, but he’s not anymore. There’s basically zero evidence you have shown to prove otherwise. Harris is higher rated than Akinjo too. Idk what you have against Hurley, but I’m done arguing with you because you’re just being ignorant at this point.

ESPN has Kisunas rated 80 as well.

Tate's offer list consists of UMass, La Salle, and Richmond in the top tier, with Binghamton, Old Dominion, Northeastern, and San Diego rounding it out. We beat out Tennessee/Pitt/OK State for Polley and KState/Penn State/Texas A&M for Carlton, and both guys have gotten hosed here for being far below the caliber of recruit many here find acceptable. If someone with Tate's offer list committed here, there'd be a five-alarm fire in no time.

Yes, Harris is more highly rated than Akinjo, but are you telling me that the gap between #70 and #95 (per 247 -- it's smaller on other sites) is really that significant?

Whtmd looks stupid treating Hurley like some garbage coach. He looks way more capable of running a program than KO at his point in time, and he'll be very good at his next stop. But at the same time, it's disingenuous to falsely boost his credentials.

Reaction Score
Sure... Just like last year right. There was a bunch of minutes to be had, but said players chose to sit a year, rather than play another minute under Ollie.
It's a growing trend, whether you like it or not, but to just slough it off as bs, is a bit disingenuous imo

Well one of the players does not have it
View attachment 28038
This is typical Ollie hater BS. Leaving out critical info and going only for the best one. ESPN list him as the 33 rated small forward in the country. 247/Rivals/Scout list him as a 3 star. His composite ranking is 211 in the 247 poll. Somehow he is a stud 4 star recruit

RipCity

Absolute Savage
Reaction Score
ESPN has Kisunas rated 80 as well.

Tate's offer list consists of UMass, La Salle, and Richmond in the top tier, with Binghamton, Old Dominion, Northeastern, and San Diego rounding it out. We beat out Tennessee/Pitt/OK State for Polley and KState/Penn State/Texas A&M for Carlton, and both guys have gotten hosed here for being far below the caliber of recruit many here find acceptable. If someone with Tate's offer list committed here, there'd be a five-alarm fire in no time.

Yes, Harris is more highly rated than Akinjo, but are you telling me that the gap between #70 and #95 (per 247 -- it's smaller on other sites) is really that significant?

Whtmd looks stupid treating Hurley like some garbage coach. He looks way more capable of running a program than KO at his point in time, and he'll be very good at his next stop. But at the same time, it's disingenuous to falsely boost his credentials.
Look at his AAU numbers compared to Kisunas. It’s night and day. They were way better than Polley’s too. I’m not falsely boosting his credentials at all. I never said that the difference between Harris and akinjo was big. I’m just saying that his top 25 class isn’t because of quantity. I like Ollie’s class a lot too. I was literally only responding because he was belittling everything Hurley has done, which is just ridiculous.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
And as I still do not feel like working and this is fun, I just skipped through the first half of the 2004 team vs. Depaul which I remembered as a "workmanlike" game; so not our best, but a game we won.

31 possessions, 39 points.

26 of those possessions were "good shots." What was amazing and bittersweet was watching us run. Not just fastbreaking but the secondary break that we dominated. We did not have to run too many "sets."

5 bad looks where a player tried to do too much or took a heat check 3. Ben and Rash 2 each and Emeka totally forcing a double team.

Not sure what this proves other than the 04 team was bada$$ and this years team is not.

You had to pick UCONN's most talented team ever, didn't you? Against Depaul no less.

No, but seriously, it would be really interesting to see for all games for the last 30 years. Nobody wants to do that, but it would be informative to say the least.

Reaction Score
If after these two seasons, it's not time to fire Ollie, then when is that, exactly and how bad does that have to look like?

He's a nice dude who's done a tremendous service to our program and was a great player. Fantastic human by all measures. But this can't continue. He's lost two teams, had another two massively underachieve and all we're chalking it up to is luck? That's an actual, serious answer? It's the same problems over an over again manifested in different role players. Coaches have left. Players have left. Results have gotten progressively worse.

But sure - not Ollie. Nothing, actually. Just 'luck.'

Wow.

Reaction Score
Complete BS by u. Tate is not a 4 star. His only other offer of note is from UMASS. The only reason Hurley is having anything resembling a top class is because the quantity of his recruits. Not the quality. Haris is a 4 star I know. The other are all low 200s. Ollie has been and will be a much better coach then Hurley. Look at what is said on TV n from the prep coaches. Hurley always has 10 losses despite being in a mediocre conference and not playing anyone of note
Wow, you have to be a family member of KO.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Well, we aren't speaking verbally anyway, so....

If you're saying I'm right that Ollie is accountable, but that doesn't mean i should say it. I disagree.

If you're saying I don't help myself with my tone, you're right. But I stopped trying to a long time ago because people are going to ascribe whatever tone they want to it anyway. They'll even fabricate your point just to disagree with it. Example: AugustWest tells me "What your saying is right" after present my argument as "it's okay that ben gordon slapped a girl because we won a national championship".
Yeah, written, not verbal. Brain fart.

My point, throughout, during these trying times, is that there are ways of saying things that can convey frustration, dismay, lack of confidence, sadness, upset, disappointment, etc. and still not jeopardize a sense of community among people who presumably want much the same thing.
When I read some of the more responsibly worded posts by those who are firm in their resolve that coaching change is required and overdue, it becomes clear that these posts are made by fans and not trolls, but the energy is just so bad sometimes.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
People claiming to be close to the situation say that Ollie has a fraudulent personality and that the kids don't particularly like or respect him. Ugly off the court situations have been hinted at. 3 players with unlimited minutes awaiting them transferred out. We have recently heard reports that there will be another mass exodus if Ollie stays.

I am not in the know. But assuming there is truth to this, isn't this whole back and forth and forth about offensive sets and player development and recruiting tactics entirely pointless?
"I've got a ton of hearsay and no opportunity to get clarity on it, but if it's true, doesn't it make a damming case?"
I suppose, but I'm gonna watch the game tonight just in case.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
If after these two seasons, it's not time to fire Ollie, then when is that, exactly and how bad does that have to look like?
QUOTE]
After the balance of the season reveals whether a debatable corner gets turned or not. You and others seem pretty confident that there's no shot, so let it go and watch & root for the team (or not) in the interim. Should end up being an easy call, no?

Reaction Score

He's a nice dude who's done a tremendous service to our program and was a great player. Fantastic human by all measures. But this can't continue. He's lost two teams, had another two massively underachieve and all we're chalking it up to is luck? That's an actual, serious answer? It's the same problems over an over again manifested in different role players. Coaches have left. Players have left. Results have gotten progressively worse.

But sure - not Ollie. Nothing, actually. Just 'luck.'

Wow.
Wow there’s actually some sane intelligent reasonable people left on the BY.... unfortunately we’re out numbered.... the only reason there should be any discussion as to keeping KO should be the cost of the buyout and whether it’s feasible to pay not whether KO deserves to be retained based on the incompetence he has consistently shown in every aspect of his job resulting in the pathetic state the UConn men’s basketball currently is in. We have a UConn room, a UCONN Christmas tree, every game day was a family get together event with ( I have 6 kids) all of my kids and a few of their friends coming over for pizza and the UConn game ...... now I get dad call me at half time and if they’re not down by 20 or more pause the dvr and we’ll fly over. I’ve been to 2 UConn championship games and was in Orlando for the AACT ( the JA 70 ft shot forever in my favorite moments). KO has become an embarrassment, the program has become an embarrassment .... the play on the court well you know the rest. The Perno teams played harder then the team that we now have. It’s not bad luck it’s bad coaching plain and simple. Didn’t Ohio St just replace their coach and they’re probably going to make the NCAAT this year .... 1 year... think about that

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
I UCONN was a baseball player, the've been batting the Mendoza line. Now, they may have improved to .215 or .220. But that doesn't make you a major league hitter. Ideally, UCONN should be a .280-.300 hitter. For reference, JC was a .350 hitter.

My point is that improvement is important, and has happened in fits and starts with this team. But they started from such a low level, that, even with the improvement, the final product doesn't remotely approach passable, never mind good.

There are so many young and new players that expecting a ".350 hitter" is a ridiculous stance.

Bottom line; if kids are improving, it's happening for two reasons. They are working hard and they are being coached. I know that neither reason seems to fit the narrative here, but that's the truth regardless...

Reaction Score
How was 2 yrs ago disappointing? They won the conference tournament and won an NCAA game. This is what im talking about. Spoiled fans.

Because the team had more talent than that, and they underachieved and got a seed that put them on a collision course with the number one team in only the second round. This team has ONE postseason win since 2014. That's why.

Reaction Score
I can actually kind of deny it. I see many good looks especially early in games. I see us as a bunch of brick layers. If we dont make shots off good looks early in games that is kind of the snake that feeds its own tail (ouroboros) because we then get desperate and flustered about not making shots which leads to bad decisions and shots. The bad shots I see? Most of them are due to Vital. He's a chucker at heart. I dont see Larrier taking many bad shots. Once in a great while. His decision making shortfall is not in shot selection, it is in his terrible awareness of his own handling abilities. Once everybody has gone around the world clanking through the first 15 minutes of a game, we then default to the Jalen show. And then the offense can look stagnant because we have now conceded to play 1 on 5.
Watch any good team for 5 minutes and I guarantee their spacing and ball movement will be vastly superior to UConn's. Its almost all tough shots for UConn.

Reaction Score
Yeah, written, not verbal. Brain fart.

My point, throughout, during these trying times, is that there are ways of saying things that can convey frustration, dismay, lack of confidence, sadness, upset, disappointment, etc. and still not jeopardize a sense of community among people who presumably want much the same thing.
When I read some of the more responsibly worded posts by those who are firm in their resolve that coaching change is required and overdue, it becomes clear that these posts are made by fans and not trolls, but the energy is just so bad sometimes.
The “verbal” jab was just a joke.

For the record, all I said was Ollie is accountable for recruiting Cobb regardless of the results. Good, bad, or indifferent he’s accountable. In this instance it’s another miss on the recruiting trail. For that I was accused of bashing Ollie. So with all due respect I think you’re barking up the wrong tree.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
It absolutely fits. That team underachieved all year, save for 2 weeks in March. The pieces were fit together horribly, and the head coach was about 2 months behind this board in correcting our biggest offensive deficiency (Gibbs on vs. off the ball).

You can argue all you want about underachieving, but if the minimum bar for achievement is Sweet 16 or we've underachieved, that's going to leave many spoiled, entitled Husky fans miserable most of the time. We finished in the top 32 in 2016, a significant improvement over the NIT finish in 2015.

Reaction Score
You were disappointed by the NC we won 4 years ago?

The post I was responding to referenced next season.

This season and the previous three, all disappointing. That's 4 thank you.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom