I’d probably cancel the Hurley presser | Page 10 | The Boneyard

I’d probably cancel the Hurley presser

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Go cheer Ollie and make him think everything is fine and magically things will turn around because its just bad luck. Terrible fan! Above .500 not making NIT, we should have a parade for him.
Drama queen much?
Does your wife know you talk this way? Might as well point out to her where exactly anyone spins it as rosy as your exaggerations.

RipCity

Absolute Savage
Reaction Score
BTW, since this is Dannyboy vs Ollie thread. This is Ollie's 6th yr. He already won a national championship, AAC championship. 3 NCAA tourney if he would have been eligible in 2013. He is 17-4 in post season tourneys, 7-1 in NCAA and 10-3 in AAC. His last 2 yrs has been rack by injuries. He already got 2 players into the NBA, Shabazz and Hamilton. Dan Hurley in first 6 yrs; never got into an NCAA tournament. Never won a conference champ, never develop an NBA player. His last two yr r all juniors n seniors n they r producing because they have been together for 4 yrs in the Atlantic 10. Next yr, he will revert to the mediocre mid-level coach that he is
Why are you comparing coaching a top 10 all time program to coaching URI? Hurley inherited a dog___ program and now made them a top 10 RPI team. Yes, it took a few years to climb out of the abyss, as it did for Calhoun when he got here.

Xavier Munford is as much of an NBA player as Hamilton. So that is one more NBA player that Ollie has produced in 6 years, and again we’re comparing him to URI. Hurley has Dowtin, Russell, and Langevine (leads the A10 in OReb%, DReb%, and #3 Blk% in conference play) for the future, as well as a top 25 recruiting class coming in. If he stays at URI and Ollie stays here, my money is on URI remaining the better team for he foreseeable future.

I don’t think there’s a person in the country outside of UConn fans that wouldn’t say Hurley is a better coach. And I’m not even sure why were limiting this to Hurley, because there are plenty of options out there that would be good.

Reaction Score
You said people werent developed so they left. Purvis and Brimah never left. And none of the people who left last year said to themselves "oh golly gee, look at Amidah and Purvis - Ollie really screwed them I better get out of dodge" - Holy LOL .... Gibbs and Miller were 5th year transfers. Gibbs was brought in to be a PG while Adams got his feet wet. Please spare me on their development and usage. I wouldve liked to have seen more Miller but that was Hamiltons team. And Miller got his looks.

Enoch should look in a mirror. But OK. He didnt develop. How come Carlton has picked up Ollies defensive principles better in 1/2 a season but Enoch couldnt in two?
Jackson got WAY more time last year than he couldve possibly expected coming in. Way more. So there is NO utilization issue there.
Durham is lucky he saw floor at all, shouldve been redshirted. THAT was KO's mistake with him.
MAL left because of Miller and the fact that the little baby didnt want to have to compete with Gilbert, Adams and Vital for minutes. No development issue there either.

Next?
Lack of development is a thing push by the Ollie haters. The evidence says otherwise

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Lack of development is a thing push by the Ollie haters. The evidence says otherwise

I get it ...................kind of. But those arguments to me begin and end with Brimah and Purvis. Those two did not develop at expected rates. I will never argue otherwise. How much blame KO gets and how much is on those two players we can debate forever. Truth is usually in the middle of each extreme.

Reaction Score
If URI and UConn played today on a neutral court, URI would be favored by about 8-10 points. So there's that, which is nice.

Reaction Score
Why are you comparing coaching a top 10 all time program to coaching URI? Hurley inherited a dog___ program and now made them a top 10 RPI team. Yes, it took a few years to climb out of the abyss, as it did for Calhoun when he got here.

Xavier Munford is as much of an NBA player as Hamilton. So that is one more NBA player that Ollie has produced in 6 years, and again we’re comparing him to URI. Hurley has Dowtin, Russell, and Langevine (leads the A10 in OReb%, DReb%, and #3 Blk% in conference play) for the future, as well as a top 25 recruiting class coming in. If he stays at URI and Ollie stays here, my money is on URI remaining the better team for he foreseeable future.

I don’t think there’s a person in the country outside of UConn fans that wouldn’t say Hurley is a better coach. And I’m not even sure why were limiting this to Hurley, because there are plenty of options out there that would be good.
okay, since we r neither experts. Tell me why r the NE prep coach pushing players toward UCONN (Wilson, Kisunas and Mathis). No one is pushing anyone toward Hurley. I kept an eye on Hurley n the local prep coaches during hoophall. Hurley was there with his crew cut crew. No one talk o him, He literally had to stop the expressions AAU caoch ( I think it was him) to give him a minute of his time

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I like the word and stand by it. I don't care who the coach is. 95% of fans don't know any coaches other than the big name ones. I highly doubt fans are going to show up for a HC they have never heard of.

When you win, they show.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I get it ....kind of. But those arguments to me begin and end with Brimah and Purvis.

Facey? He looked like the best player on the court against Duke as a sophomore.

RipCity

Absolute Savage
Reaction Score
okay, since we r neither experts. Tell me why r the NE prep coach pushing players toward UCONN (Wilson, Kisunas and Mathis). No one is pushing anyone toward Hurley. I kept an eye on Hurley n the local prep coaches during hoophall. Hurley was there with his crew cut crew. No one talk o him, He literally had to stop the expressions AAU caoch ( I think it was him) to give him a minute of his time
What are you talking about? He got Tate, who is a 4 star SF from the expressions team. He’s a better NE talent than Kisunas. He also got one of the best offensive big men of the class from the DC area in Harris. Again, top 25 class in the country for Hurley. This isn’t high school, I don’t care who Hurley talks to while he’s scouting Hoophall.

99% of the country would say Hurley is a better coach than Ollie. I’m not being biased, that’s just how it is. Ollie is better than these past 2 years would indicate, but the public goes by what it sees. Nobody has anything good to say about KO right now. To try and say that Hurley is the one with a bad rep is pretty laughable.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
My philosophy that a coach is accountable for the results of his decisions is misconstrued? Okay.
You get the legitimate point about responsibility, but quite often your verbal expression is conveyed without seeming to apply the concept of responsibility to yourself.
I don't find it difficult to draw such a distinction, but some here seem to. That doesn't warrant my telling what they should or shouldn't do, or me holding things against them.
I'd wager you've heard, "It ain't what you say, it's how you say it." To me, that sentiment applies widely and deeply. Ymmv.

Reaction Score
You get the legitimate point about responsibility, but quite often your verbal expression is conveyed without seeming to apply the concept of responsibility to yourself.
I don't find it difficult to draw such a distinction, but some here seem to. That doesn't warrant my telling what they should or shouldn't do, or me holding things against them.
I'd wager you've heard, "It ain't what you say, it's how you say it." To me, that sentiment applies widely and deeply. Ymmv.

Well, we aren't speaking verbally anyway, so....

If you're saying I'm right that Ollie is accountable, but that doesn't mean i should say it. I disagree.

If you're saying I don't help myself with my tone, you're right. But I stopped trying to a long time ago because people are going to ascribe whatever tone they want to it anyway. They'll even fabricate your point just to disagree with it. Example: AugustWest tells me "What your saying is right" after present my argument as "it's okay that ben gordon slapped a girl because we won a national championship".

Reaction Score
Drama queen much?
Does your wife know you talk this way? Might as well point out to her where exactly anyone spins it as rosy as your exaggerations.

I guess stupidity makes me dramatic.

Yes, she's aware..... and very disappointed :(

Reaction Score
People claiming to be close to the situation say that Ollie has a fraudulent personality and that the kids don't particularly like or respect him. Ugly off the court situations have been hinted at. 3 players with unlimited minutes awaiting them transferred out. We have recently heard reports that there will be another mass exodus if Ollie stays.

I am not in the know. But assuming there is truth to this, isn't this whole back and forth and forth about offensive sets and player development and recruiting tactics entirely pointless?

Reaction Score
People claiming to be close to the situation say that Ollie has a fraudulent personality and that the kids don't particularly like or respect him. Ugly off the court situations have been hinted at. 3 players with unlimited minutes awaiting them transferred out. We have recently heard reports that there will be another mass exodus if Ollie stays.

I am not in the know. But assuming there is truth to this, isn't this whole back and forth and forth about offensive sets and player development and recruiting tactics entirely pointless?
If Ollie remains there will be transfers again, could be another mass exodus. And yet we sit here with the same people arguing that KO has just had a string of bad luck and he doesn't have a player development problem.

sammydabiz

I sport NewBalance sneakers to avoid a narrow path
Reaction Score
I think players leaving last yr was the exception. Not the rule. When else have others transferred?
Are you sure about that? Latest rumors say the opposite, if Ollie comes back we're going to see a bunch of transfers again. Looking like last year wasn't the exception, but the rule unfortunately.

I don't like the fair weather fan who comes to a home game for the sole purpose of booing Ollie. It doesn't look good.
I do understand your position, but for me, what looks worse than the "booing" fan, is the actual basketball being played on the court the past two seasons, it's atrocious. Above all else it's the level of play that doesn't look good and continues to become increasingly embarrassing for the legacy of this program as well as its fans.
As far as the trajectory of this program:
Every action has an equal and opposite reaction, I'm guessing Newton's 3rd law predicts "booing" is not only warranted but natural

Reaction Score
If Ollie remains there will be transfers again, could be another mass exodus. And yet we sit here with the same people arguing that KO has just had a string of bad luck and he doesn't have a player development problem.
Complete BS, two players might go. That is normal with the NCAA now a days

Reaction Score
What are you talking about? He got Tate, who is a 4 star SF from the expressions team. He’s a better NE talent than Kisunas. He also got one of the best offensive big men of the class from the DC area in Harris. Again, top 25 class in the country for Hurley. This isn’t high school, I don’t care who Hurley talks to while he’s scouting Hoophall.

99% of the country would say Hurley is a better coach than Ollie. I’m not being biased, that’s just how it is. Ollie is better than these past 2 years would indicate, but the public goes by what it sees. Nobody has anything good to say about KO right now. To try and say that Hurley is the one with a bad rep is pretty laughable.
Complete BS by u. Tate is not a 4 star. His only other offer of note is from UMASS. The only reason Hurley is having anything resembling a top class is because the quantity of his recruits. Not the quality. Haris is a 4 star I know. The other are all low 200s. Ollie has been and will be a much better coach then Hurley. Look at what is said on TV n from the prep coaches. Hurley always has 10 losses despite being in a mediocre conference and not playing anyone of note

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom