I’d probably cancel the Hurley presser | Page 13 | The Boneyard

I’d probably cancel the Hurley presser

Reaction Score
Right, but we didn't make the tourney because of that shot. It helped our seeding but we would've been an at large without it.

Mmmm. Debatable. But we had to hit that shot to beat Cincinnati. Winning the next game helped big time. I think we lose that game, we're probably out.

Still we were what - sixth in the conference heading into the AAC tournament? In like a 1-2 bid league with one team dealing with a post season ban?

We were ranked what - 20th preseason? We weren't ever really close to that. Decent team. Fun at times. But also frustrating. I think they could have been better.

Reaction Score
You can argue all you want about underachieving, but if the minimum bar for achievement is Sweet 16 or we've underachieved, that's going to leave many spoiled, entitled Husky fans miserable most of the time. We finished in the top 32 in 2016, a significant improvement over the NIT finish in 2015.
What would you consider making the NCAA tournament once in 4 seasons?? I consider it massive underachievement. Btw, the 1 appearance in 4 seasons was as a bubble team, where it not for wining conf tournament.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
Mmmm. Debatable. But we had to hit that shot to beat Cincinnati. Winning the next game helped big time. I think we lose that game, we're probably out.

Still we were what - sixth in the conference heading into the AAC tournament? In like a 1-2 bid league with one team dealing with a post season ban?

We were ranked what - 20th preseason? We weren't ever really close to that. Decent team. Fun at times. But also frustrating. I think they could have been better.

You "Fire Ollie!" folks only hurt your own cause with this same, tired, old, clueless BS about "The Shot, Volume II". Jalen's miracle shot likely hurt more than helped. We were already a lock as an at-large because Tulsa, a team from our own conference, got in with worse metrics than we had. Jalen's shot had nothing to do with anything after the fact except seeding. Any attempt to argue otherwise is laughable. All it likely did was condemn us to a slighhly higher seed and a game vs. a No. 1 Kansas seed. 99,999 attempts to spin it differently aren't going to change the facts.

Reaction Score
If Tulsa got in as an at-large, that 3 wasn't necessary for us to make it.

That may be true, but everyone and their mom viewed that Cincy game as a must-win at the time. And we spit the bit, save Jalen's shot.

Only 4 days later was it apparent that we didn't need to have it.

Reaction Score
You "Fire Ollie!" folks only hurt your own cause with this same, tired, old, clueless BS about "The Shot, Volume II". Jalen's miracle shot likely hurt more than helped. We were already a lock as an at-large because Tulsa, a team from our own conference, got in with worse metrics than we had. Jalen's shot had nothing to do with anything after the fact except seeding. Any attempt to argue otherwise is laughable. All it likely did was condemn us to a slighhly higher seed and a game vs. a No. 1 Kansas seed. 99,999 attempts to spin it differently aren't going to change the facts.

TIRED~! CLUELESS~! LAUGHABLE ~! SPIN~! BS~!

Chill on the adjectives.

If what you have to hang your hat on is what low seed we got in the one NCAA tournament we've been in over the course of four years, then I mean, I just dunno. But that aside it was what - a fifth place team in the AAC? And national expectations were more or less around top-20. I think our highest point in the polls was like 18 the second week of the season. We faced six ranked teams that year, we lost to all of them minus the SMU game (which btw - was a gas) at the HCC.

So take the conference auto-bid out, and what's the resume, basically:

-11-7 in the conference
-2-7 against the teams ahead of us in the conference
-Lost to every ranked team except one
-We lose to Cincy, we're bounced in our first game in the conference tournament
-We go what - 21/22-10?

That's like... the epitome of bubble. 26 overall ranking in KENPOM was helpful for sure. I just don't think it's a stellar resume. I think dismissing us as being a tournament team outright is absolutely silly. I think thinking we were a lock was equally silly, personally.

Reaction Score
Cut the innuendo. I know sex is not an important part of your life; It is for most people. You just dont get it or understand

Reaction Score
if it weren't for basketball we'd be a crappy regional university still. money to right the ship shouldn't be an issue. I don't get your obsession with Ollie. are you a personal friend or something?

You mean we're NOT a crappy regional university ?:p

UConnNick

Reaction Score
What would you consider making the NCAA tournament once in 4 seasons?? I consider it massive underachievement. Btw, the 1 appearance in 4 seasons was as a bubble team, where it not for wining conf tournament.

I'm not a math genius, but I think making the tournament in 2014 and 2016 counts as two out of the past four seasons, and one of the other two was an injury riddled disaster.

Reaction Score
I'm not a math genius, but I think making the tournament in 2014 and 2016 counts as two out of the past four seasons, and one of the other two was an injury riddled disaster.

Do you realistically see an NCAA tournament appearance this season? Be honest.

That is one in the last 4, with a total of one NCAA win.

Reaction Score
I’m including this season as the fourth season, unless you actually think we’re gonna make the tournament this season. So that will be one tournament in four seasons which is substandard

Reaction Score
BarstoolReags‏ @BarstoolReags
If Ollie is canned (he should be if UConn can avoid buyout) I'm fascinated to see a true coaching search. My top-5 would be:
1. Steve Pikiell
2. Danny Hurley
3. John Becker
4. Tom Crean
5. Eric Musselman
8:41 AM - 26 Jan 2018

Rob Dauster‏Verified account @RobDauster 2h2 hours ago
Replying to @BarstoolReags
You have the top two backwards.

Jeff Borzello‏Verified account @jeffborzello 2h2 hours ago
Flip the top two IMO.

Also...
Jeff Borzello‏Verified account @jeffborzello
Replying to @wreckhoops @BarstoolReags
I don’t see Maryland opening. UConn is still a pretty good job.

11:08 AM - 26 Jan 2018

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
BarstoolReags‏ @BarstoolReags
If Ollie is canned (he should be if UConn can avoid buyout) I'm fascinated to see a true coaching search. My top-5 would be:
1. Steve Pikiell
2. Danny Hurley
3. John Becker
4. Tom Crean
5. Eric Musselman
8:41 AM - 26 Jan 2018

Rob Dauster‏Verified account @RobDauster 2h2 hours ago
You have the top two backwards.

Jeff Borzello‏Verified account @jeffborzello 2h2 hours ago
Flip the top two IMO.

Also...
Jeff Borzello‏Verified account @jeffborzello
Replying to @wreckhoops @BarstoolReags
I don’t see Maryland opening. UConn is still a pretty good job.

11:08 AM - 26 Jan 2018

Why people even bother with Pikiell anymore is beyond me.

Last edited:

UConnNick

Reaction Score
Do you realistically see an NCAA tournament appearance this season? Be honest.

That is one in the last 4, with a total of one NCAA win.

It'a a longshot I wouldn't bet on, but we've done it before in a far better conference against even longer odds. And so far, no other team in the AAC has established itself as an odds-on favorite to win the conference tourney. As bad as we were last season, we managed to get within a game of making it to the championship game. This season isn't over until we lose an AAC tourney game. A lot can happen to us or other teams between now and then...injuries, whatever.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I'm not even that big on Pikiell. I'd want Hurley or Musselman before him. I get the alum thing, that's cool - I just think the other two are better coaches.

Plus you'd need about $20 million to get him with his current contract.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom