Husky girls | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Husky girls

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tommyboy

a lot of people go to college for seven years
Reaction Score
"We ran a little misdirection thing and Kaleena was wide open at the top of the circle," Auriemma said. "We got [Stewart] for a layup on the lob, so Kelly was looking for that. [Stewart] made a great catch and the next time she is in that situation, she is going to square up and and catch it again and attack the basket and get a foul. She is too young to understand that right now.
What the hell is Geno talking about? Stewart made the right play in that situation as she caught it off balance, the game was tied and she didn't have the gimmee..........get it back out, run the clock down to get a shot for the win or worst case scenario OT.........just painful coaching here on Geno's part and still thinks everything was okay? Scary.......
Its just crazy to think like that. The best part about the shot clock resetting just prior is that you now have the ability to take the very last shot of regulation. You either win or go to OT. Simple as that. If Stewart scores there you give ND chance to win on a 3 or an and 1. Am I just missing a rule thats different in women's hoops? Seems pretty basic to me.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Next year is the Huskies year to win it all after Brian leaves Baylor and Diggins and crew leave ND.
Unfortunately, there is no "crew" leaving with Diggins. One other player, Turner, who only played 11 minutes last night. ND's going to be good next year too. However with the re-alignment crap, won't have to play them 3+ times a year. Maybe not at all.

Baylor on the other hand does lose like 4 starters (including Griner) and one of the first off the bench players.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I agree on the Griner departure but for now I'm thinking Geno still has to figure out how to beat Muffet!!
You are probably right there.

Reaction Score
If only we had Elena Delle Donne

then Uconn probably has 3 undefeated seasons in a row, she might be the most skillful player in the country, Griner is the most dominant.

Reaction Score
You can see Hartley reach in twice, actually. Plus she's riding Diggins the entire way down the court. I suppose she could have tackled her.
You're in denial. Perhaps she did reach in, but if you want to draw the foul, reach in and grab her arm or bump her hard off the ball. The "she could have tackled her line" implies that she did everything but that. Wrong. I didn't see her touch Diggins at all when she was "reaching in."

It's not hard. She's dribbling - crash into her while going for the ball and knock her off the ball. They WILL call a foul.

Blaming the officials for not making a call on a phantom "reach in" is bizarre women-crap.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
If I remember correctly back to the #1 Louisville-UConn game, when UConn was down by like 15 with 4 to go, a group of people got up in front of me and said,

"C'mon, guys. Lets go watch a real team play tomorrow night." Referring to the women's team playing the following night. After that comment I shook my head in disappointment. Now I know that the women don't play real basketball and that "fan" has no idea what basketball is.

But in other news, that play looked just as bad as UConn's inbounds play against Cincy.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
"C'mon, guys. Lets go watch a real team play tomorrow night." Referring to the women's team playing the following night. After that comment I shook my head in disappointment. Now I know that the women don't play real basketball and that "fan" has no idea what basketball is.

Interestingly, on the Pitt boards last night, posts on the game threads for the BET were repeatedly urging others to tune into UConn-ND women's as it was the far more interesting and well-played game.

It's all relative to what you're watching.

Reaction Score
Guess that tells you all you need to know about Pitt fans :eek:............interesting only because it was 2 teams that never seem to win until the last seconds and 2 because they are only 2 of the maybe 3 or 4 teams who can win the womens NC..........but both look like Baylor is double digits better from what I've seen...........

Other than that it was so sloppy the So Dakota mens game was far more interesting and Valpo mens too!!

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
At least the women are giving us something to talk about.

That's how the WBB program took off. The men had the Dream Season in 1990 which they followed up the next year by beating Shaq (Mike Francesa's choice to win the bracket). Connecticut fans had hoop fever. After they got bounced in the Sweet Sixteen, it was like the fans collectively looked around and said. "Hey look, the women are in the Final Four!" Folks hopped on the bandwagon and the combination of having a charismatic coach and team and the fact that they got absolutely jobbed by the refs in the semis had them back for more the next year.

Reaction Score
If I remember correctly back to the #1 Louisville-UConn game, when UConn was down by like 15 with 4 to go, a group of people got up in front of me and said,

But in other news, that play looked just as bad as UConn's inbounds play against Cincy.

Over the years I've gotten into quite a few disputes over the men's/women's teams. Foe the life of me I can't understand how people can get into a sport where ther are only 5 teams that are any good any year. Zero element of drama in the womens game.
Might as well go right to te elite 8 and not play the season.

I really think alot of the womens fans just like the idea that the team wins all the time. If they ever went 9-9 in conference the season ticket base would slow to a crawl. My opinion Geno and his team better go to a Final 4 every year because he gets the BEST players every year. There would be something wrong if he didn't win.

Just so you know where I'm coming from I can't stand Geno. And I don't cheer for the women's team.

Let the men's teams players HAVE to stay for four years and lets see how many banners JC would have hung up.

Also I can't stand the idea that UCONN has not named the court at Gampel for JC when lesser coaches(Cremins, Crees to name 2) have courts named for them. And thats all because of Geno. The old what are we going to do for Geno question? Who cares. Name something else for him. I'm not saying he isn't a HOF coach and deserving of his own honor. Geno coaches womens basketball. It doesn't compare on any level to men's basketball. In 48/50 states NO One cares about womens basketball. It's a niche sport.
IMO Geno could win 30 NC and it wouldn't compare to the 3 JC won.(Again I am totally one sided on this topic and I realize it).

OK Rant Over !!!

Reaction Score
They just don't pass the ball well consistantly and they still could have won. The problem with the top 5 or 6 teams in womens basketball is they may only play 3 or 4 teams a year that have a chance of beating them and they get away with a lot of mistakes. When they play one of the top teams they aren't ready. ND didn't exactly play well either.

Reaction Score
You're in denial. Perhaps she did reach in, but if you want to draw the foul, reach in and grab her arm or bump her hard off the ball. The "she could have tackled her line" implies that she did everything but that. Wrong. I didn't see her touch Diggins at all when she was "reaching in."

It's not hard. She's dribbling - crash into her while going for the ball and knock her off the ball. They WILL call a foul.

Blaming the officials for not making a call on a phantom "reach in" is bizarre women-crap.

No, a foul is a foul. You didn't see it so don't make judgments. I don't think Geno told anyone to foul, I think Hartley tried but didn't fully commit because she wasn't sure whether there was actually a foul to give. It's not blaming the refs. The women's team turned the ball over, ND was likely going to score.

Geno's the larger concern here. I have my suspicions that Geno's protecting Kelly a bit with that pass. (As Kelly said she threw it to the wrong person (Stewart)). But I don't know. Still, I think this has been as bad of a coaching season for Geno as it was for JC last season.

Reaction Score
This ND women's team owns this UConn team. They outperform them in the clutch every game.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Over the years I've gotten into quite a few disputes over the men's/women's teams. Foe the life of me I can't understand how people can get into a sport where ther are only 5 teams that are any good any year. Zero element of drama in the womens game.
Might as well go right to te elite 8 and not play the season.

I really think alot of the womens fans just like the idea that the team wins all the time. If they ever went 9-9 in conference the season ticket base would slow to a crawl. My opinion Geno and his team better go to a Final 4 every year because he gets the BEST players every year. There would be something wrong if he didn't win.

Just so you know where I'm coming from I can't stand Geno. And I don't cheer for the women's team.

Let the men's teams players HAVE to stay for four years and lets see how many banners JC would have hung up.

Also I can't stand the idea that UCONN has not named the court at Gampel for JC when lesser coaches(Cremins, Crees to name 2) have courts named for them. And thats all because of Geno. The old what are we going to do for Geno question? Who cares. Name something else for him. I'm not saying he isn't a HOF coach and deserving of his own honor. Geno coaches womens basketball. It doesn't compare on any level to men's basketball. In 48/50 states NO One cares about womens basketball. It's a niche sport.
IMO Geno could win 30 NC and it wouldn't compare to the 3 JC won.(Again I am totally one sided on this topic and I realize it).

OK Rant Over !!!

You read my mind.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I really think alot of the womens fans just like the idea that the team wins all the time. If they ever went 9-9 in conference the season ticket base would slow to a crawl.
You might be on to something there.

My opinion Geno and his team better go to a Final 4 every year because he gets the BEST players every year. There would be something wrong if he didn't win.
Well he does get lots of good players, but he doesn’t always get the best. UCONN had the best class in 2012. However Tennessee had the best in 2011, Duke in 2011 and Baylor in 2009. In 2009, UCONN had the 49th ranked recruiting class. And they won’t be in the top 25 this year either most likely.

Maybe not as many. Remember, all the other schools players would play for 4 years too. But true, that certainly does help a women’s coach as compared to a men’s coach.

Also I can't stand the idea that UCONN has not named the court at Gampel for JC when lesser coaches(Cremins, Crees to name 2) have courts named for them.
Maybe if he had run a cleaner program???

Geno coaches womens basketball. It doesn't compare on any level to men's basketball. In 48/50 states NO One cares about womens basketball. It's a niche sport.
OK Rant Over !!!
So why bother with a rant?

Reaction Score

Not sure if you're just posturing or require a serious answer, but...

From the Jacobs column:

"I did my best to foul her," Bria Hartley said.

"I think we fouled [Diggins] three times," Auriemma said. "I guess it took a long time for them not to call fouls on us. But they picked the wrong time. We just didn't want to make it look intentional. As it turned out we would have had to tackle her."]

Diggins said: "“I thought it was coming (the foul call)...I’m just glad they didn’t call it, and my teammates sprinted down the court.”

So blackbird is not delusional, nor were the fouls "phantom." Diggins felt them. She played through, to her credit. She used her left arm to hold Bria off as Bria swiped at the ball. Bria lost her balance, and Diggins switched her dribble from the right hand to the left to avoid getting trapped along the sideline. Bria even grabbed Diggins' leg as she was falling (foul #3). Bria just didn't do any of it "full out" because she didn't want to draw an intentional foul.

Geno should have inbounded the ball to Bria or Kelly to hold for the last shot, instead of trying a homerun play for a quick score. When the quick score didn't happen, everything went to hell. Should never have come to needing the refs to make a call, and Kelly acknowledged that.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Guess that tells you all you need to know about Pitt fans :eek:............interesting only because it was 2 teams that never seem to win until the last seconds and 2 because they are only 2 of the maybe 3 or 4 teams who can win the womens NC..........but both look like Baylor is double digits better from what I've seen...........
Although UCONN only lost by 6 vs Baylor.

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score
No, a foul is a foul. You didn't see it so don't make judgments. I don't think Geno told anyone to foul, I think Hartley tried but didn't fully commit because she wasn't sure whether there was actually a foul to give. It's not blaming the refs. The women's team turned the ball over, ND was likely going .
I have to agree with Perspective here. Bria acting like she was trying for a steal and she stumbled a couple of times but at no point did it look like she was trying to foul.
Total team brain fog for several stretches yesterday...the worst clearly during the last 18 seconds.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Lane Bryant anyone?

Oh, those husky girls.

Reaction Score
You might be on to something there.

Well he does get lots of good players, but he doesn’t always get the best. UCONN had the best class in 2012. However Tennessee had the best in 2011, Duke in 2011 and Baylor in 2009. In 2009, UCONN had the 49th ranked recruiting class. And they won’t be in the top 25 this year either most likely.

Maybe not as many. Remember, all the other schools players would play for 4 years too. But true, that certainly does help a women’s coach as compared to a men’s coach.

Maybe if he had run a cleaner program???

So why bother with a rant?

And don't try to make JC out to be Jerry Tarktanian. JC ran a clean program for 25+ years he was here. We all know the NCAA was gunning for him.

Without JC(and Lew Perkins) no Gampel and no bigtime football(at least not as quickly). Alot of what UCONN has beome is because of JC.

Reaction Score
Bria just didn't do any of it "full out" because she didn't want to draw an intentional foul.

Wow. You womens' fans are more delusional than some of the mens' fans, and that's saying something.

Intentional foul? They NEVER call an IT in that situation. You'd have to pull her hair or something severe to get the IT. You simply hack the arm extremely hard, or crash through the body in an attempt to do so.

You womens fans are insane. You so desperately want to NOT blame any particular player, that you make up your own reality. I read some of the threads on the girlie forum, and it was hilarious how nobody wants to flat out blame anybody. It's the opposite of here, where SOMEBODY's getting the blame.

Such a girly girly thing. Let's all just get along.

Bria crapped out and didn't give the foul. The point guard who came from under the ND rim crapped out and, after getting back in the play, went behind Diggins and took herself out, going out of her way to AVOID contact with Diggins. The final player with a chance simply stepped out to the top of the key and put her hands up - again, no attempt to foul. Finally, Dolson stood there like a statue until at least 3 ND players blew by her.

They sucked, they lacked execution, game awareness, and heart.

To try to put it on the refs with a lame "we were trying to avoid the intentional foul" is sorely delusional.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ranon

Top Bottom