Husky girls | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Husky girls

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Chris Dailey just said the cross court lob pass to Stewart was the play they drew up. To think the coaches would be that stupid and not use your 2 timeouts when they were clearly in trouble and not foul when you turned it over and had a foul to give. I would be beyond pissed off if this happened with our coaching staff.

Reaction Score
Chris Dailey just said the cross court lob pass to Stewart was the play they drew up. To think the coaches would be that stupid and not use your 2 timeouts when they were clearly in trouble and not foul when you turned it over and had a foul to give. I would be beyond pissed off if this happened with our coaching staff.

You're right sj.......it's the play they drew up but like any other play if it doesn't transition into a wide open lob then you throw it to the wide open perosn right in front of you instead of causing a frantic possession.........stupid!!

Reaction Score
Yup, and the reason for it was because of ND's guard pressure. Which would be the only reason to do it. Still, next time..take your chances with Hartley.

Sucks that they apparently blatantly fouled Diggins 3 times up the floor with nothing called. That had to be the only time that would ever happen.

Reaction Score
The first pass was some sort of silly coaching idea from Geno to catch them by surprise. Hartley was wide open for a simple inbounds pass, but Faris ignored her to throw that absurd crosscourt lob. Then Faris and KML both panic.

That inbounds play from Geno was epically stupid. I mean epic. Try that with less than 10, ok. With 17?????

Faris then had a chance to settle things down and hold for one and didn't - I sung her praises earlier in the year, but that was just a horrific decision to recklessly attack with so much time left. Then nobody hustled back.

I'd kill the men for failing to hold for one there - I'm killing the women for it too. Basketball 101.

Agree on everything. Tie game, chance to run the clock down and win with very little (or no) time left or you go to OT. Instead you get 3 50/50 passes with a baseline dribble to nowhere mixed in. It's almost hard to believe that they didn't turn it over earlier in that sequence.

Epically stupid is a great way to describe that inbounds pass. If the men's team tried that and it led to a dunk by Daniels, I'd be happy, but I'd also be ticked because it meant the opposition had plenty of time to try and tie or win the game. Even if it worked, it was a terrible idea.

The obvious play was right there for them. No idea why they didn't go with it.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Chris Daley, the associate HC, said postgame that the lob was THE DESIGNED PLAY.

Oh my G-d.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Agree on everything. Tie game, chance to run the clock down and win with very little (or no) time left or you go to OT. Instead you get 3 50/50 passes with a baseline dribble to nowhere mixed in. It's almost hard to believe that they didn't turn it over earlier in that sequence.

Epically stupid is a great way to describe that inbounds pass. If the men's team tried that and it led to a dunk by Daniels, I'd be happy, but I'd also be ticked because it meant the opposition had plenty of time to try and tie or win the game. Even if it worked, it was a terrible idea.

The obvious play was right there for them. No idea why they didn't go with it.
Geno knew they couldn''t buy an open outside look all game, so went for a height advantage inside. Probably hoped for an easy basket underneath and then they had a foul to give to help use up clock. McBride would have beat us with a last shot anyway.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Chris Daley, the associate HC, said postgame that the lob was THE DESIGNED PLAY.

Oh my G-d.
Get ready for Geno to make some fake self-depracating remarks about he must have forgotten how to coach somewhere along the way. And the expectations to win here are higher than anywhere else. That will change.

Reaction Score

Oh my G-d.

His tactical coaching in end of game situations in close games has really sort have been exposed the last 2 years, huh? Inept is a good word to describe it. Has played about 10 close games the last 2 seasons and has lost I think 8 or 9 of them.

Reaction Score
Get ready for Geno to make some fake self-depracating remarks about he must have forgotten how to coach somewhere along the way. And the expectations to win here are higher than anywhere else. That will change.

Not only will he do all that but he will also suggest he needs either the best player in the country or a the best point guard on his roster to win. Which has been true.

Reaction Score
She does that jerkish stand 5 inches from the guard whose getting the ball passed into them, so that the guard gets called for a travel or a charge. She's got quick hands..and wacks people's arms and elbows. She traps when most players just respect the play.
WTF?
This sort of "she's a meanie" diatribe from the devoted girlie fans is about 90% of the reason I don't follow them, with the other 10% being they suck.

Reaction Score
At least there's a chance we can still win the ncaa and not have to go though ND, who clearly has our number. Though I don't trust these girls in any close game against anyone.

Reaction Score
WTF?
This sort of "she's a meanie" diatribe from the devoted girlie fans is about 90% of the reason I don't follow them, with the other 10% being they suck.

No, it's a harassment style of play. Good for her for playing that way. But it causes turnovers by our guards. Which would be why Geno chose to go for height.

But like I said, they shouldn't be afraid of that.

Reaction Score
Geno knew they couldn''t buy an open outside look all game, so went for a height advantage inside. Probably hoped for an easy basket underneath and then they had a foul to give to help use up clock. McBride would have beat us with a last shot anyway.
That was the key. At crunch time, the team that makes the big plays wins. It was a poor play call by Geno, but in the past, we had the players to make the plays, and most often we won. But we needed to stop McBride and we couldn't. I find more fault in that, than anything else. I would have liked a box and one with Stewart on her with the long arms. Admittedly ND and McBride were very good coming off screens, but I think we needed something besides KML trying to stop her with no success for two games (not to mention the likely-hood of KML getting tired defending McBride and not producing on the offensive side, as a result). We lost this on D. But, there is hope. If Stewart can play the way she is capable, we will be in the final four and our chances are as good as anyone's.

Reaction Score
At least the women are giving us something to talk about.
I watched the last 15 seconds. Holy burning balls, UConn gagged big time.
The play was horrible, tis true, but what happened next is worse.

The point guard drives to the base line with nowhere to go, but still completes a difficult pass to ML in the left corner. ML, without looking, throws the ball toward where she believes her teammate is. It's a lob, it's airborne like a helium balloon, and it's essentially a jump ball. The CT player receiving the pass does not do anything to stop the interception, but rather passively waits for Diggins to intercept the pass.

At the moment of interception, Dolson is standing perfectly flat footed, and does not move until everybody has passed her by. She is at the free throw line and virtually in line with Diggins and two ND players. The original CT point guard is now pointing up court, but is under the ND rim. ML is 3 feet out of bounds behind the baseline, and not moving. The intended pass recipient is D-ing up the ball carrier. The 5th CT player is the furthest back on D. There are 9 seconds on the clock.

So what happens?

First, the ND players are NOT tear assing up court. Diggins collects herself with a few dribbles and 2 ND players are jogging up court. One ran past Dolson, who still is not moving. Diggins starts dribbling the ball up the right sideline, with the original pass target guarding her.

The original CT point guard catches all the way back up to the play (from under the ND rim!), but makes the bizarre decision to double team Diggins rather than picking up one of the THREE open ND players who are jogging to the rim.

The 2nd CT PG, who was the furthest back when the play began, is still the farthest back, in the center of the 3 point area, but she shades toward Diggins on her left, and completely ignores the THREE ND players who are running toward her.

At the exact same moment, the defender on Diggins makes the bizarre decision to dive at Diggins' dribble, missing badly and falling to the floor, AND the 1st CT PG, who has valiantly gotten back into the play (from under the ND rim!), cuts BEHIND Diggins, thereby removing herself from the play and having no effect on anything. Smashing into Diggins' back would have been more sensible at that moment.

The result is a 5 on 1.

The only hope at this point for UConn, with 5 seconds left, is for the lone remaining defender to force a jump shot, or at least make Diggins make a bad pass. A tall order, considering it's 5 on 1.

So where is the 2nd CT PG? She's still got the laser-lock on Diggins and is creeping out toward the 3 point line on the left flank, seemingly oblivious to the 2 or 3 ND players to her right who are working toward the rim. She then STEPS OUT to meet Diggins at the top of the key, thereby allowing the easy lob pass to a ND player standing under the rim, 8 feet behind her.

At that moment, Dolson has just re-entered the TV picture.

All in all, clearly 4, and maybe 5, UConn players could have been back on D. Only one ended up in front of the play, and she made the worst decision possible, which was to meet the ball handler out by the top of the key, thereby making the entry pass a can't-miss pass.

Terrible instincts, terrible execution, and, worst of all, terrible effort.

Just a different sport.

Reaction Score
I can't believe they didn't foul her with one to give. Tackle her if you have to.

Reaction Score
Geno said they fouled her three times. It just wasn't called.
Bullsh-t. That's complete garbage. I watched the replay a bunch of times. There was no clear foul at all. They had numerous chances to foul her. The woman on her for D was in her grill for the entire time she dribbled over half court, and there was not one moment when she looked like she was trying to give a foul.

Shame on Geno.

What wasn't called was an unembarrassing play.

Reaction Score
You can see Hartley reach in twice, actually. Plus she's riding Diggins the entire way down the court. I suppose she could have tackled her.

It's likely though, because of the position the refs were in, they just didn't see it.

Bottom line is, Geno needs to trust his guards more than he clearly does. Not that they've given him a reason too, but in a situation like this...he just has too.

The whole team, including Geno..just gets dumb when it comes to ND. I'm not sure why. A lot's been said about Bria not being a true point, I don't even believe that to be the reason why they lose. Uconn not having a true point guard is why the offense doesn't run great. Hartley is fully capable of dribbling the ball and creating her own shot. I understand the fears there. That Diggins will cause a turnover. It's possible, but then the team is playing not to lose and out smarting itself.

Women's basketball, even more so than Men's, comes down to guard play. Uconn can't win a championship and likely can't win a game like this, if their guards don't perform. In this situation, Geno didn't even give our most talented guard a chance.

Do we win if he gives it to Hartley? I don't know. I know we can't win if Hartley can't perform in such situations, and I've seen Hartley perform in such situations. So instead of "trying to take pressure off of her because she's had a season from hell" you give her the opportunity.

That being said. ND does have the best guard on the floor in Skylar. She may miss 20 shots, but she'll make the important ones and she'll make the important plays. Sometimes it's just that simple. As much as Uconn gets "stupid" ND and Skylar have a lot to do with that. She just simply beats Uconn, and has since her sophomore year.

Reaction Score
I just hope our ladies get them again and Skylar is crying different tears at the end.

(Tears that I won't go on a date with her out of Husky loyalty.)

Reaction Score
Making that play even more stupid is that you have two timeouts left when you take the ball out of bounds. Hell, if you think this great play you saw the Celtics run once for KG is going to work, just call timeout with five or six seconds left and then run it, and that way you aren't giving them time to go down the other way.

If you are really clever, and fear that ND might think that you are up to something, you could inbounds to Hartley, tell her to pick up her dribble with 10, wait a couple seconds, call a 30 and angrily yell at her so the ND bench can hear "Bria. Don't pick up your dribble!!!" (all the while winking at her, as the two of you know that your scolding is just a genius ruse to throw them off the scent, so they don't know you called that timeout on purpose to run this awesome play of yours - because you are a genius).

A really high-risk crosscourt lob to the rim with 17 seconds and the chance to hold for one? My god. The stupid. It burns.

Reaction Score
"We ran a little misdirection thing and Kaleena was wide open at the top of the circle," Auriemma said. "We got [Stewart] for a layup on the lob, so Kelly was looking for that. [Stewart] made a great catch and the next time she is in that situation, she is going to square up and and catch it again and attack the basket and get a foul. She is too young to understand that right now.
What the hell is Geno talking about? Stewart made the right play in that situation as she caught it off balance, the game was tied and she didn't have the gimmee..........get it back out, run the clock down to get a shot for the win or worst case scenario OT.........just painful coaching here on Geno's part and still thinks everything was okay? Scary.......

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Stewart hung in there pretty well in crunch time. That bodes well for the tournament.

Agree, including her tough catch of the lob that could easily have just been a colossal immediate turnover that would have made all the additional (and justified) hand-wringing about passes, timeouts, and available fouls moot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awy

Top Bottom