Husky girls | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Husky girls

Status
Not open for further replies.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
If men's basketball and football weren't there, women's basketball along with all those other useless sports would not be at the varsity level.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I expected this thread to look more like this:
250px-Somewolf-huskygirl.jpg

Reaction Score
I'm sorry, I don't think us women's basketball fans are the ones who are delusional here.

Bria herself said that was what she was trying to do. And Skylar said she was surprised the refs didn't blow whistle after Bria "fouled her." So now we have the player saying she fouled, and the opponent saying she fouled. And the refs didn't call it. WTF else do you need to prove you are wrong.

And knock it off with the "girly girl" Stop. Reading this you'd think the men's team plays flawless basketball, never makes a defensive mistake, never has coaching errors. That's what's obnoxious. And that's why you have women's fans on here defending the team. Because when the women's player does something stupid its because women's basketball is inferior, if the men's player did the same thing it would just be that player's fault, not a reflection of a sport as a whole.

You want to know who is to blame on that last possession? Kelly and Geno.

Kelly for, in her own words, passing to the wrong player. Then getting the ball back and passing it to Kaleena in an impossible situation, and causing a turnover. Classic chicken with it's head cut off.

Geno for not calling a time out when we needed it. And, for not just trusting one of his guards to dribble out the clock and get a shot opportunity.

My point was Hartley did try to foul. Hartley said she fouled. Skylar said she got fouled. It never should have come to that situation in the first place.

CTBasketball

Reaction Score
I'm sorry, I don't think us women's basketball fans are the ones who are delusional here.

Bria herself said that was what she was trying to do. And Skylar said she was surprised the refs didn't blow whistle after Bria "fouled her." So now we have the player saying she fouled, and the opponent saying she fouled. And the refs didn't call it. WTF else do you need to prove you are wrong.

Missed call. Get over it. It happens.

The real problem here is the last offensive possession and the utter lack of defense after the Diggins steal.

Reaction Score
Missed call. Get over it. It happens.

The real problem here is the last offensive possession and the utter lack of defense after the Diggins steal.

Right, I'm not arguing it was the problem. In fact, earlier I even said that with the way the refs were, they likely couldn't see it.

The argument though was "she should have fouled." She did, it just wasn't called. Missed call. It happens. It's not why the team lost. We've got a laundry list of mistakes the team made that caused this loss, not fouling wasn't one of them.

CTBasketball

Reaction Score
Right, I'm not arguing it was the problem. In fact, earlier I even said that with the way the refs were, they likely couldn't see it.

The argument though was "she should have fouled." She did, it just wasn't called. Missed call. It happens. It's not why the team lost. We've got a laundry list of mistakes the team made that caused this loss, not fouling wasn't one of them.

This is true. When in doubt, lay the person out. It'll get called haha.

Reaction Score
Geno has really looked bad in late game situations the last couple of years, there is no disputing that. I blame that final possession on him, calling a timeout to draw up that play when it was so obvious you play for the last shot and then not calling a timeout were huge mistakes. Oh well, time to figure things out for the tournament.

Reaction Score
And knock it off with the "girly girl" bull . Reading this you'd think the men's team plays flawless basketball, never makes a defensive mistake
You're so clouded by your delusion that you missed the point. The point wasn't that the men play "better" basketball. In fact, it's got nothing to do with the men. My comments would be the same if men's basketball didn't exist.
In fact, it's got nothing to do with the female players - they're trying hard, for the most part, and they have some skills.

It's YOU. The girlie-girl FAN that I can't stand. The ones who want to see a woman come out in a leg cast and get an uncontested layup because - "it just makes us all feel soooo special." We don't want conflict and aggression and hard fouling! Oh no! We want 50 point blowouts and pretty blonde pony tails. Yah!

You simply refuse to blame the women players when they screw up. It's really as simple as that. Blaming the coach. Okay. Blaming the refs. Okay.

But what about our pwitty, gurwee gurs? Hmmm? Can't blame them. Oh, unless they "pass to the wrong person." Note that it wasn't ML's fault for throwing a jump ball to the opponent's best player. Or Dolson for standing still on the last play. Or hartley for not fouling. Or the other one for taking herself out of the play.

It's not because they SUCKED it up. Oh no. That would be meeaning meanie and that's not what girlie-gurl fans like. Oh no. So we safely blame the play call and "passing to the wrong person."

Oh yeah. And the refs. For not calling a ticky tack foul with time running out. DUUH. BIG DUH.

The first and last time I ever considered being a UConn women's fan was when some guy living in girly girl fantasy land back in 04, pasty white and wealthy, I add, and never dribbled a basketball in his entire life, said something to the effect that, "the women's team would give the men's team a good game. They'd probably lose, but it would be a good game." I noted that he was a moron and that the women's team would have a hard time scoring a single basket. He was offended I tell you. OFFENDED.

The wefs wooned ow game. The WOOONED it I tell you. BOo Hoo. They refused to call a foul on us! We twied and twied and twied, but they just wouldn't call it. SHucks! It was fixed.

Oh god. Too funny.

Reaction Score
No, you're clouded by your delusion.

You said you couldn't be a women's fan because someone had the audacity to say that they think the women would give the men a run for their money. That's obviously stupid, but the idea that you can't appreciate the game because someone likes the way the women play better is on you. For every one fan that says they think the women can give the men a run for their money, there's 100 middle aged men who think they could actually beat someone like Taurasi.

You asked whose fault that possession was? I told you Kelly. (The one you keep calling the point guard.) She's the one who passed to Stewart. She's the one who drove baseline when she should have held the ball. She's the one who made a poor pass that forced Kaleena (who was losing her balance) to make the pass that led to the steal.

You want to "blame" someone then pick out the person who erred, because blaming everyone is the same thing as blaming no one.

Quite frankly, you are seeing what you want to see. And you come off as being a pig..who doesn't really understand basketball as well as you think you do.

Reaction Score
Holy hell, Perspective, you lobbed so many hand grenades at the women's side that are simply sweeping generalizations without evidence that it's useless to even try to rebut your statement that women's fans are "delusional." Anybody can cherry-pick examples on this board where a claim seems "not credible" (probably a better descriptor).

It's not worth it when you're just beating your chest. Surely there's a colonial lady waiting for someone to sweep in on a vine and rescue her from a gorilla who could occupy your time better.

Refs don't determine the outcome of a game--that's loser talk. (Perhaps the one exception was the refs for the St. John's/Rutgers game who didn't officiate until the final buzzer.) But fans will always second-guess how officials influenced the flow of a game when a rivalry is defined by high stakes contests that go to the wire. ("High stakes" in the idiom of people who like women's sport; I know you don't consider it high stakes.)

ND fans did the same thing when Kelly Faris beat the Irish on a layup with 14 seconds left for a 79-76 win in South Bend (January 9, 2011). Diggins asked her teammates when they would get sick of losing to "this team," and the rivalry turned.

I don't know anyone saying that the game was fixed, and several people say that the whole team (not just Bria) needs to give better fouls--not that physical play is unladylike. Straw man argument there.

I never understand how men's hoops fans think to elevate the standing of the men's team by denigrating the women's team and its fans (or any UConn female athletes, for that matter). It does nothing of the sort. It merely makes certain men's fans look like insecure jerks who hate sharing the limelight.

I assume most here are UConn alumni and students, or residents and expats of Connecticut. The women's team brings almost universally positive publicity to the school and state. If the male athletes aren't sweating it, why should you?

Reaction Score
I love our women's team and women in general. I will be following them closely this march especially because its all we've got this year. I hope they have taken these close loses as learning experiences and take it to ND and that other coed team that we can't beat.

Stewart is going to be player of the year in a year or two, she's really a special player. KML too obviously and tuck looks nice as well.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
If they called every foul in a women's game they would only end when the teams ran out of players.

I sat through 2 sessions of the tournament. The refs call nothing because the alternative is a 4 hour game with 85 fouls.

And I did talk to Diggins during the Louisville/St. John's game. Pretty exciting stuff.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Did you get her phone number??

If I wanted to get shot down I would have gone with the baton girl from USF. Or the Louisville dance team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ranon

Top Bottom