Husky’s Team Roster Poll | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Husky’s Team Roster Poll

Given the current roster and signed recruits for both ‘21 & ‘22 should Geno add Kamila Cardoso?

• Yes, 6’7” talent is unique and makes the team better

Votes: 124 63.6%
  • No, while talented, the team has bigs and team chemistry is great, why risk it

Votes: 71 36.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
We have three number one draft choices on the team. They are likely to get more minutes than the other players. Should we send one of them into the portal just some minutes could be more equal? Perhaps two of them?
Since the 3 #1s are all guards, what if someone like Caitlin Clark were to enter the portal, would it make sense for her to compete for minutes with the 3 #1s?

In Cardoso's case, she's wouldn't be competing for minutes with the 3 #1s. With her on the squad, the competition for minutes for the 3 other positions might lead to some players considering the portal.

Reaction Score
“So be it ?”
Just give the parents a sniff that their daughter is an interchangeable part... better yet that they are nothing more than potential “spare parts” with no commitment from the program.
The definition of brand destruction.
Short sighted.
Include me out.
Parents of top D1 players know that their daughter will face competition for their four years at whatever school they choose. They know that there will be competition in the WNBA, if they get that far.

However, with Geno, they know he will show respect to their daughter. They know he will be communicating with her so that, if her minutes drop, their daughter will know the reasons. She will continue to be a key player in the program.

Spare part? I don't think so.

Bajan Best

Decades of Excellence = Legendary
Reaction Score
I will always vote NO when it comes to transfers into the program for the following reasons...

1) Name me one transfers in or out of UCONN who went on to be anything significant in basketball other than ED and her situation was totally acceptable.
2) If they were meant to be at the Best Basketball program in the world it should have been their first choice from day 1, unless of course UConn was their first choice but weren't offered a scholarship, then I might consider accepting them because a successful program like UConn should never be an afterthought IMHO..

Reaction Score
I dont understand why some BYers dislike talent to walk in UConn. I would like to see UConn getting better and better.
73 win Warriors also recruited Kelvin Durant. UConn is not as dominant as Warriors. If there is a chance to get the team better, no way to miss it.
If Cardoso comes to UConn, she can easily be one of the best 5 players in the team.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Since the 3 #1s are all guards, what if someone like Caitlin Clark were to enter the portal, would it make sense for her to compete for minutes with the 3 #1s?

In Cardoso's case, she's wouldn't be competing for minutes with the 3 #1s. With her on the squad, the competition for minutes for the 3 other positions might lead to some players considering the portal.
Yes it might. That’s the brave New World of the portal.

But yeah, you take Clark if she’s available and interested in coming here. Keep in mind that it would be four players competing for playing time at three positions,
point guard, shooting guard and small forward

Reaction Score
I voted "YES" but would be surprised if she came to UConn. Lots of Pros and Cons either way and nobody on the BY knows the nitty gritty of what Geno want to do next year. I'm pretty sure Geno knows what he's doing.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I think the Poll ratio is getting closer as the chances of landing Cardosa seem to be receding.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I don’t know if UConn is pursuing Cardoso and don’t really care if they do, but time will tell. Having said that, there are two continuing themes from those that strongly advocate for the addition of Cardoso to UConn’s roster.

The first theme is that Cardoso will be a star player, helping to secure multiple national championships for UConn. Some may have a crystal ball. I don’t. Syracuse lost 9 games this past year. They were one of the last teams selected to the Big Dance, struggling with SDSt for 3 qtrs before finally pulling away in the 4th and then getting hammered by UConn.

More to the point, Cardoso played only 23 minutes against the Huskies, scoring 8 of the Cuse’s first 10 pts, then becoming mostly a non-factor. I have said that Cardoso has a lot of potential, but she still has a long way to go to achieve that potential.

The second theme is to compare adding players (free agents) to a college team like it’s a pro team, as if student-athletes are exactly the same as professional athletes and winning is the only thing that matters in college sports. For many reasons I disagree with that assessment.

More importantly, Geno has made clear on multiple occasions that the worst thing he could conceive of as a CBB coach would be the failure to help a player reach their potential at UConn. I’m not quite sure how recruiting a bunch of transfers over kids you recruited out of HS keeps the commitment a coach made to the HS kid and their family to help them reach their potential.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Thank you much.
Your last point is, I believe, the strongest one.
One should not think for a minute that the parents of a recruit do not wield major “input” as to the final decision.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Thank you much.
Your last point is, I believe, the strongest one.
One should not think for a minute that the parents of a recruit do not wield major “input” as to the final decision.
Not sure parents have a say in whether or not a coach accepts a transfer, but they certainly have a say in whether or not their little girl decides to go somewhere else.

Reaction Score
Not sure parents have a say in whether or not a coach accepts a transfer, but they certainly have a say in whether or not their little girl decides to go somewhere else.
Referring to the decision as to where to enroll for their freshman year.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I don’t know if UConn is pursuing Cardoso and don’t really care if they do, but time will tell. Having said that, there are two continuing themes from those that strongly advocate for the addition of Cardoso to UConn’s roster.

The first theme is that Cardoso will be a star player, helping to secure multiple national championships for UConn. Some may have a crystal ball. I don’t. Syracuse lost 9 games this past year. They were one of the last teams selected to the Big Dance, struggling with NDSt for 3 qtrs before finally pulling away in the 4th and then getting hammered by UConn.

More to the point, Cardoso played only 23 minutes against the Huskies, scoring 8 of the Cuse’s first 10 pts, then becoming mostly a non-factor. I have said that Cardoso has a lot of potential, but she still has a long way to go to achieve that potential.

The second theme is to compare adding players (free agents) to a college team like it’s a pro team, as if student-athletes are exactly the same as professional athletes and winning is the only thing that matters in college sports. For many reasons I disagree with that assessment.

More importantly, Geno has made clear on multiple occasions that the worst thing he could conceive of as a CBB coach would be the failure to help a player reach their potential at UConn. I’m not quite sure how recruiting a bunch of transfers over kids you recruited out of HS keeps the commitment a coach made to the HS kid and their family to help them reach their potential.
It is quite simple really, it is not "over" it is "in addition to". It is also not a "bunch" it is a few. Not all the players Geno has recruited out of high school have keep their commitments. As a result the UCONN roster has not been without a transfer (in) and or walk on player since 2014 out of necessity. Autumn for example was a walk on to get the roster size to 11. With the exception of Stanford the last 3 NCAA WBB champions have had major impact players (starters) that were transfers. Aari McDonald was a transfer to Arizona.
Transfers are a reality don't expect Geno to sit on the sidelines and watch- he's way too competitive for that.

Last edited:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
It is quite simple really, it not "over" it is "in addition to". It is also not a "bunch" it is a few. Not all the players Geno has recruited out of high school have keep their commitments. As a result the UCONN roster has not been without a transfer (in) and or walk on player since 2014 out of necessity. Autumn for example was a walk on to get the roster size to 11. With the exception of Stanford the last 3 NCAA WBB champions have had major impact players (starters) that were transfers. Aari McDonald was a transfer to Arizona.
Transfers are a reality don't expect Geno to sit on the sidelines and watch- he's way too competitive for that.
I generally agree with your assessment. But after bringing in Dorka to shore up the frontcourt and likely push Liv to reach another level of play, assuming a one and done? for the tOSU transfer, Geno would have to tread carefully in bringing in a 2nd BIG who could be around for 3-4 seasons.

Of course PT becomes a greater challenge, but my bigger concern is the impact on players not yet here. When Amari signed, she looked at a landscape at UConn that had her playing behind Liv for 1 season and competing with Piath for 3. Likely that she would earn some PT off the bench as a frosh and then have a realistic opportunity to earn the starting center spot as a Soph.

Subsequently Geno signs Dorka, and that likely cuts into Amari’s freshman PT, but hopefully for her sake, Dorka is 1 and done at UConn. If you bring in Cardoso on top of Dorka, I have to believe Amari as well as her parents are wondering what’s going on here, to say nothing of how the decision impacts Ice and Ayanna, who won’t be official until the fall and recruits like Del Rosario who are still weighing their options.

Don’t get me wrong. I’m not saying that Geno shouldn’t bring in Cardoso. I’m simply suggesting that there is a lot more to consider than whether or not to add one more player to the roster.

PacoSwede

Creeker in fact
Reaction Score
'talent' is not the sole factor in wins. geno knows that and has to blend the many ingredients. it's a complex recipe that no one has mastered better than he.

because i don't know what he knows about what already is in the current mixture, and what spices he thinks would enhance or spoil it, i can't answer this poll.

i'd be fascinated to learn geno's take on the + & - of a cardoso transfer to uconn, however. it would be delightful to compare his with BYers' assessments. sadly, of course, we shall never have the chance.

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score
None of us can be assured of the outcome from adding Cardoso to the roster. We would have been favorites to win the NC in Collier's/Samuelson's junior years, a team that also featured Williams, Nurse and Dangerfield, even without Stevens transferring in. When Stevens transferred in we became heavy favorites ... and we failed to win a NC.

Those in favor of Cardoso transferring in believe in a reductionist principle. She's one of the tallest players in the country with good skills and athleticism for her size. That makes her a good "part" and, in a reductionist approach, when you get the best "parts" you can that should produce a better team than one with fewer best "parts." Recent success with transfers into other programs provides fuel for this principle.

Those not in favor of Cardoso believe in a holistic principle. You want the whole to be greater than the sum of the parts, indeed, sometimes the whole can be less than the sum of the parts. What happened with Stevens and our own specific program provides fuel for this principle.

Let's first address how special the "part" is. Cambage is one of the two most intimidating post presences in the world. She has won precious little in terms of renowned championships. Ah, but this is a matter of not playing with other good parts you might say.

That leads us to the other most intimidating post presence, Griner. She has won one NCAA title, one WNBA title. Certainly by the time she was a junior in college she played with very good "parts," some might say by the time she was a sophomore. In the pros her teammate was Taurasi. Let's get back to that in a moment. Ah, but she was not playing for a coach like Auriemma. Considering Mulkey as won titles with three completely different rosters, the first one not heralded at all, undermines this aspersion, though there are still those that still cast it.

Well then, we certainly consider Auriemma a worthy coach. Wolters is the player in our history with the size of Cardoso. She even became a NPOY, but won only one title. In her freshman year she played with two other players who would become NPOYs; in her sophomore season she won the title playing with those two candidates plus a runner-up in Sales; in her junior year she played with Rizzotti and Sales; in her senior year she played with Sales and a precocious Ralph until she was injured in the tournament.

Looking back at Taurasi, the only year she did not win a NC was the year she played with a very accomplished and tall big, the 6'5" Schumacher who the year previous set a block record for a championship team. Four other of Taurasi's teammates as a freshman also played significant roles in a championship the year prior. The three years Taurasi won an NC was with 6'2" and 6'3" centers. While she has won 3 WNBA titles only one is with one of the two most imposing centers of the world.

As a special "part," an imposing big is not as special as everyone makes them out to be. The actual evidence makes that very clear. Ironically, if Cardoso is to make our team it will be due to the holistic principle, not the reductionist. She will have to fit in a way that enhances the team. Perhaps that will be true but: 1) there are some signs it may not be and 2) as I understand it we very much want Del Rosario to come and keep the "big" gravy train rolling. Maybe we can get both Cardoso and Del Rosario, but I'm betting the UConn program will prioritize the latter if it comes to a choice.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
He has done everything he could it's called recruiting, and he has two very good recruiting classes coming in. Your choice of words was an overstatement and I stand by that.

The only BIG that has been a "game changer" in recent years was Stewart and that's because she had a expansive skill set and not a prototypical big. Cardoso is a prototypical big who without talented guards around her can be neutralized.
Well then we will just have to agree to disagree. But again, be sure to read people's posts before you reply. Reading comprehension totally helps!! And I stand by my comments. And Geno agrees - he wouldn't have gotten Juhasz nor would he be after Cardoso if he didn't.

Reaction Score
Well then we will just have to agree to disagree. But again, be sure to read people's posts before you reply. Reading comprehension totally helps!! And I stand by my comments. And Geno agrees - he wouldn't have gotten Juhasz nor would he be after Cardoso if he didn't.
I read your post and thought calling Geno "negligent" of his duty if he didn't go after Cardoso was actually absurd, I called it an "overstatement" to be nice. If you think this HOF coach would agree with you then your a fool.
Acquiring Juhasz and her skill set is a whole other ball game than Cardoso, but you knew that already.

Last edited:

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I read your post and thought calling Geno "negligent" of his duty if he didn't go after Cardoso was actually absurd, I called it an "overstatement" to be nice. If you think this HOF coach would agree with you then your a fool.
Acquiring Juhasz and her skill set is a whole other ball game than Cardoso, but you knew that already.
Then clearly you have reading comprehension challenges. PLEASE stop embarrassing yourself and go back and read my post. AT NO POINT DID I CALL GENO NEGLIGENT IF HE FAILED TO RECRUIT CARDOSO.

What is absurd is that you cannot comprehend a simple post, and try to twist it and attribute incorrect statements to me.

Reaction Score
Then clearly you have reading comprehension challenges. PLEASE stop embarrassing yourself and go back and read my post. AT NO POINT DID I CALL GENO NEGLIGENT IF HE FAILED TO RECRUIT CARDOSO.

What is absurd is that you cannot comprehend a simple post, and try to twist it and attribute incorrect statements to me.
You said that Geno would be negligent if he did not go out and acquire as much talent as possible in reference to Cardoso. You can backtrack now all you want your still stepping in poo!!

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
You said that Geno would be negligent if he did not go out and acquire as much talent as possible in reference to Cardoso. You can backtrack now all you want your still stepping in poo!!
Wrong again. I was referencing Juhusz, Cardoso, and anyone else he feels he needs to put together as much talent to surround our guard tandem as possible. Again, if it makes you feel better to try to twist my words, that's on you. I'm not sure why you are persisting with this. If you can't see the difference, then I can't help you.

Reaction Score
Wrong again. I was referencing Juhusz, Cardoso, and anyone else he feels he needs to put together as much talent to surround our guard tandem as possible. Again, if it makes you feel better to try to twist my words, that's on you. I'm not sure why you are persisting with this.
Still in retreat? this is a thread on Cardoso, Dorka was not in this conversation. You're adding her to save face.
So if Geno thought that Cardoso wasn't a good fit for this tight-knit team and his culture and therefore didn't pursue her than that would make him negligent of his duty? just trying to understand your logic..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom