Husky’s Team Roster Poll | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Husky’s Team Roster Poll

Given the current roster and signed recruits for both ‘21 & ‘22 should Geno add Kamila Cardoso?

• Yes, 6’7” talent is unique and makes the team better

Votes: 124 63.6%
  • No, while talented, the team has bigs and team chemistry is great, why risk it

Votes: 71 36.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
I generally agree with your assessment. But after bringing in Dorka to shore up the frontcourt and likely push Liv to reach another level of play, assuming a one and done? for the tOSU transfer, Geno would have to tread carefully in bringing in a 2nd BIG who could be around for 3-4 seasons.

If you bring in Cardoso on top of Dorka, I have to believe Amari as well as her parents are wondering what’s going on here, to say nothing of how the decision impacts Ice and Ayanna, who won’t be official until the fall and recruits like Del Rosario who are still weighing their options.

Have a hard time believing Cardoso would play anywhere for four more seasons, and even three is pushing it since she will be WNBA eligible after two.

Patterson's a different position and wouldn't be affected. Brady maybe, slightly, sorta. But then, again, Cardoso would only be around 1-2 years at the same time Brady is.

Del Rosario shouldn't be a consideration. If you have the option to get a player as talented as Cardoso you don't turn that down over the prospect of a player you may never get. You don't say, "nah, we won't take you Kamilla because ADR is considering us among numerous other schools."

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Still in retreat? this is a thread on Cardoso, Dorka was not in this conversation. You're adding her to save face.
So if Geno thought that Cardoso wasn't a good fit for this tight-knit team and his culture and therefore didn't pursue her than that would make him negligent of his duty? just trying to understand your logic..
Nope not in retreat at all. Just can't figure out why you don't comprehend English and keep trying to twist what I wrote and make it something it's not. But if that makes you feel better, have at it.

You have hijacked the thread to try to make my post into something it's not and simply will not let it go. It's mystifying. Oh well. I would suggest if you are still confused, to send me a PM and we can hash it out there.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Have a hard time believing Cardoso would play anywhere for four more seasons, and even three is pushing it since she will be WNBA eligible after two.

Patterson's a different position and wouldn't be affected. Brady maybe, slightly, sorta. But then, again, Cardoso would only be around 1-2 years at the same time Brady is.

Del Rosario shouldn't be a consideration. If you have the option to get a player as talented as Cardoso you don't turn that down over the prospect of a player you may never get. You don't say, "nah, we won't take you Kamilla because ADR is considering us among numerous other schools."
So we don’t know what Cardoso’s plans are, and maybe she doesn’t know either. But here’s what we can expect. If Geno is in fact pursuing Cardoso, and she announces she is coming to Storrs, HC’s will be all over Ice, Del Rosario and every other Big who might be considering UConn over the next few years making the case to them that with Aaliyah, Amari and Cardoso over the next 3-4 years, you’ll be lucky to earn PT at UConn. Come to (fill in the blank) University and we guarantee that you’ll be starting as a freshman.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
So we don’t know what Cardoso’s plans are, and maybe she doesn’t know either. But here’s what we can expect. If Geno is in fact pursuing Cardoso, and she announces she is coming to Storrs, HC’s will be all over Ice, Del Rosario and every other Big who might be considering UConn over the next few years making the case to them that with Aaliyah, Amari and Cardoso over the next 3-4 years, you’ll be lucky to earn PT at UConn. Come to (fill in the blank) University and we guarantee that you’ll be starting as a freshman.
I don’t expect that at all. If some rogue coach were to be all over those players and the players were to respond positively to that then they are not the character players UCONN thought they were. All parties would be better off should they decide to play else where.

Last edited:

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score

I really don't think Cardoso would negatively affect Brady. Ice is a top-5 player, arguably top-3 in her class. UConn isn't going to push her aside. DeBerry might be a different story, but the way things are going now with transfers you have to be as cutthroat as the players, to put it tersely.

Del Rosario is a '23. Cardoso might be in the pros before Del Rosario even gets on campus. At most they might play one year together. I don't know why that would affect ADR or why UConn shouldn't take Cardoso. This team has Bueckers, Fudd, and Edwards on it for years. You can't worry about what Del Rosario might do in 2024 or 2025. It's all about the next 3-4 seasons.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
As I started this thread to hear what all of our fine colleagues had to say, it has stabilized in the 64-65 range with a trend down to the 64 % in favor of Kamilla coming to UConn.

With finals occurring within the next 1 to weeks on both Syracuse and UConn campus' my own thought is Kamilla has made her decision but wants to wait until school is over to avoid any distractions. Whatever school she has chosen has likewise chosen to keep it hush to also avoid unnecessary distractions.

Side note on distractions: The Baylor players have been unwitting pawns in the whole Kim to LSU saga and continue to be bounced around in the coaches search so I do feel for them while this circus continues. But back to Cardoso-

I watched 8-10 of Syracuse's games this year and was intrigued by her as a Freshman post player who got inconsistent, at best, coaching. This is not like Cameron Brink or Aaliyah Edwards who you could see learn and blossom all year under Tara and Geno. To me, she did play hard and did improve. Just look at the numbers for a Freshman-24 games, 13.6 pts, 8.0 rebounds, 2.7 blocks, just 1.8 turnovers per game, .7 assists per game, 2.5 fouls per game and all this in only 23.5 minutes per game! The biggest issue is the fouls-she never fouled out in a game but did have 5 games with 4 fouls and had 60 on the year. Given the lower minutes, she does have to improve that component. IF she were to choose UConn, we know that will get addressed as we have see it get better with many players.

Like I said in my original post, I do worry about chemistry given how close this team got and with all but one returning to the 4 newbies coming in, I want harmony but each year is different so who really knows.

As Tom Petty so famously wrote and sang, "The waiting is the hardest part" especially for such a fickle group as us BoneYarders. Thankfully we had the Kim Saga and now Baylorgate to keep us pre-occupied.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Del Rosario is a '23. Cardoso might be in the pros before Del Rosario even gets on campus. At most they might play one year together. I don't know why that would affect ADR or why UConn shouldn't take Cardoso. This team has Bueckers, Fudd, and Edwards on it for years. You can't worry about what Del Rosario might do in 2024 or 2025. It's all about the next 3-4 seasons.

BTW, even if you can assure me Cardoso will play four more years, I would take four years of her over the prospect of ADR in a heartbeat.

If you have Cardoso you don't need Del Rosario to put it bluntly.

JS

Reaction Score
Still in retreat? this is a thread on Cardoso, Dorka was not in this conversation. You're adding her to save face.
So if Geno thought that Cardoso wasn't a good fit for this tight-knit team and his culture and therefore didn't pursue her than that would make him negligent of his duty? just trying to understand your logic..

Enough of the two-way spat, gentlemen. Give it a rest.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
So we have a lot of speculation about a player who we have no actual knowledge whether UConn is interested in, and only secondhand information that appears to indicate she may be interested in UConn.

Since this is the off-season, speculation is what we do. I get it. As I understand it, Cardoso has until July 1 to let the world know where she’s headed.

I sure hope we don’t have to wait another 2 months. If so, I think a lot of heads will explode......

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
To me, she did play hard and did improve. Just look at the numbers for a Freshman-24 games, 13.6 pts, 8.0 rebounds, 2.7 blocks, just 1.8 turnovers per game, .7 assists per game, 2.5 fouls per game and all this in only 23.5 minutes per game!

Don't forget 58% from the field. I know Tiana M is an excellent passer, but think what Cardoso could do with a slew of excellent passers around her.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
I spent a year or so developing a chai recipe. The most basic recipe that I found had five spices, and they went up from there. The one that I settled on was cardamom, cinnamon, (ginger OR cloves), and black pepper. Fewer ingredients in that case was better (for me).

Geno knows his food. I'd personally like to see him stick with fewer players, but trust his judgment. As others have pointed out and I've observed, Cardoso doesn't always appear to give 100% effort. Geno has said many times that at UConn they don't teach effort. She is very talented, but if it appears to him that she dogs it sometimes, she won't be at UConn next year.

Bajan Best

Decades of Excellence = Legendary
Reaction Score
None of us can be assured of the outcome from adding Cardoso to the roster. We would have been favorites to win the NC in Collier's/Samuelson's junior years, a team that also featured Williams, Nurse and Dangerfield, even without Stevens transferring in. When Stevens transferred in we became heavy favorites ... and we failed to win a NC.

Those in favor of Cardoso transferring in believe in a reductionist principle. She's one of the tallest players in the country with good skills and athleticism for her size. That makes her a good "part" and, in a reductionist approach, when you get the best "parts" you can that should produce a better team than one with fewer best "parts." Recent success with transfers into other programs provides fuel for this principle.

Those not in favor of Cardoso believe in a holistic principle. You want the whole to be greater than the sum of the parts, indeed, sometimes the whole can be less than the sum of the parts. What happened with Stevens and our own specific program provides fuel for this principle.

Let's first address how special the "part" is. Cambage is one of the two most intimidating post presences in the world. She has won precious little in terms of renowned championships. Ah, but this is a matter of not playing with other good parts you might say.

That leads us to the other most intimidating post presence, Griner. She has won one NCAA title, one WNBA title. Certainly by the time she was a junior in college she played with very good "parts," some might say by the time she was a sophomore. In the pros her teammate was Taurasi. Let's get back to that in a moment. Ah, but she was not playing for a coach like Auriemma. Considering Mulkey as won titles with three completely different rosters, the first one not heralded at all, undermines this aspersion, though there are still those that still cast it.

Well then, we certainly consider Auriemma a worthy coach. Wolters is the player in our history with the size of Cardoso. She even became a NPOY, but won only one title. In her freshman year she played with two other players who would become NPOYs; in her sophomore season she won the title playing with those two candidates plus a runner-up in Sales; in her junior year she played with Rizzotti and Sales; in her senior year she played with Sales and a precocious Ralph until she was injured in the tournament.

Looking back at Taurasi, the only year she did not win a NC was the year she played with a very accomplished and tall big, the 6'5" Schumacher who the year previous set a block record for a championship team. Four other of Taurasi's teammates as a freshman also played significant roles in a championship the year prior. The three years Taurasi won an NC was with 6'2" and 6'3" centers. While she has won 3 WNBA titles only one is with one of the two most imposing centers of the world.

As a special "part," an imposing big is not as special as everyone makes them out to be. The actual evidence makes that very clear. Ironically, if Cardoso is to make our team it will be due to the holistic principle, not the reductionist. She will have to fit in a way that enhances the team. Perhaps that will be true but: 1) there are some signs it may not be and 2) as I understand it we very much want Del Rosario to come and keep the "big" gravy train rolling. Maybe we can get both Cardoso and Del Rosario, but I'm betting the UConn program will prioritize the latter if it comes to a choice.
I couldn't have said it any better....

Reaction Score
I'll let Geno decide what he thinks he saw during the Syracuse/UConn game this year but remember - He saw what we saw. He was not on the bench where you get no close ups or replays. You can also judge what you think you saw and so can I. What is important is what Geno saw.

Majic Hands

https://www.neumi.com/jkvetter
Reaction Score
Time to click ignore. Thread has run aground.

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score
I'll let Geno decide what he thinks he saw during the Syracuse/UConn game this year but remember - He saw what we saw. He was not on the bench where you get no close ups or replays. You can also judge what you think you saw and so can I. What is important is what Geno saw.
I’m in favor of that too, but what is Auriemma’s opinion? I know Cardoso is considering UConn and Auburn, but that’s all I know from two different tweets. I have not seen anything that confirms the interest is mutual. I understand how one would assume there must be mutual interest or Cordoso would not have made the tweet, but recruits have made false assumptions like that in the past.

If mutual interest has been confirmed, can you please provide me the source by which you and @EricLA know this? Serious request, I’m not claiming the source does not exist, I just haven’t seen the confirmation myself.

My own posts on this has been from the assumption of a “blank slate,” not knowing what “is’ in terms of Auriemma’s viewpoint, but what “might be.”

Reaction Score
I’m in favor of that too, but what is Auriemma’s opinion? I know Cardoso is considering UConn and Auburn, but that’s all I know from two different tweets. I have not seen anything that confirms the interest is mutual. I understand how one would assume there must be mutual interest or Cordoso would not have made the tweet, but recruits have made false assumptions like that in the past.

If mutual interest has been confirmed, can you please provide me the source by which you and @EricLA know this? Serious request, I’m not claiming the source does not exist, I just haven’t seen the confirmation myself.

My own posts on this has been from the assumption of a “blank slate,” not knowing what “is’ in terms of Auriemma’s viewpoint, but what “might be.”
That's the problem with all these rumor sites and tweets. They're all guessing. Cardoso never tweeted anything. The one man rumor site World Exposure Report put that out there and two days later switched over to claiming it would be Duke. You can't believe anything until it comes from UConn.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I really don't think Cardoso would negatively affect Brady. Ice is a top-5 player, arguably top-3 in her class. UConn isn't going to push her aside. DeBerry might be a different story, but the way things are going now with transfers you have to be as cutthroat as the players, to put it tersely.

I must comment on your suggestion that players are being “cutthroat.” Perhaps that term applies to some transfers, but the vast majority of transfers are simply looking for PT. Furthermore, when it comes to departing UConn transfers, I cannot think of a single transfer who fits that characterization. You do allude to coaches with your cutthroat reference, and most certainly that reference applies to a number of them.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
I must comment on your suggestion that players are being “cutthroat.” Perhaps that term applies to some transfers, but the vast majority of transfers are simply looking for PT. Furthermore, when it comes to departing UConn transfers, I cannot think of a single transfer who fits that characterization. You do allude to coaches with your cutthroat reference, and most certainly that reference applies to a number of them.

When you have, what 600 or so players trying to transfer, what else do you call that? Many play one year at a school and bolt, maybe bolting again if they don't like their new digs. It's a new world, no reason to sugarcoat it.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
When you have, what 600 or so players trying to transfer, what else do you call that? Many play one year at a school and bolt, maybe bolting again if they don't like their new digs. It's a new world, no reason to sugarcoat it.
So by that standard Evina & Dorka are cutthroat players?

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
So by that standard Evina & Dorka are cutthroat players?

Not talking about every single transfer but making a general observation. Even Geno has suggested likewise. Evina played two years at Tennessee and left according to her because she was harassed or mistreated in some untold way. Not the same thing. DJ played three years at OSU and left a program that banned itself from postseason. She has her degree and has yet to play in the NCAA tourney in three years. Again, I don't think that falls under the category I'm talking about.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Not talking about every single transfer but making a general observation. Even Geno has suggested likewise. Evina played two years at Tennessee and left according to her because she was harassed or mistreated in some untold way. Not the same thing. DJ played three years at OSU and left a program that banned itself from postseason. She has her degree and has yet to play in the NCAA tourney in three years. Again, I don't think that falls under the category I'm talking about.
So now I’m confused. You threw out a number “600” implying they were all “cutthroat.” Now your saying it’s a general observation and doesn’t apply to all. I will state again that most of these kids are transferring simply to find PT somewhere else. That includes almost all the kids who transferred from UConn with the exception of EDD whose story is well known to UConn fans. These kids aren’t being cutthroat. They’re basketball players who just want a chance to play ball.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Sue's freshman class was 1998-9, by her sophomore season they won a natty and the chemistry was just fine. Then Geno recruited DT into a crowded team and it went to hell again! :eek: :rolleyes:. It took that freshman season and graduation of a few players to get things back on track and 2001-2 was a great year.

(FYI - sure going down injured was what really killed any chance her freshman year. But yeah, that was a class of five recruits into a veteran team and the vets were a wee bit stand-offish. (I blame Shea!))

Bottom line ... Cardoso is probably a better prospect than half the team ... think about that.

Reaction Score
In the post about CARDOSO ENTERS TRANSFER PORTAL I posted the following and it really can apply here:

Late last night after reading these posts about Kamilla Cardoso entering the portal and has thoughts of transferring to UCONN or Auburn, I had a mental "light go on" I'd like to present it to the BY hounds barking at the door how this isn't fair to the present roster, etc.
If my information is correct Kamilla's last 2 colleges on her list to attend were UCONN & Syracuse!
She choose Syracuse!
But let's say that last year she choose UCONN instead. What is the difference to UCONN's present roster of players if she choose UCONN 1 year ago or this year?
The players, especially the BIGS, would have had to deal with her to earn playing time then or now!
The decision is just one year later! And Kamilla would still have her 4 years of eligibility!
So in reality these players now on the UCONN's roster are in the same boat they might have been in a year ago!
NO GRIPES! Some of the players may not think of this and are upset but they really have no gripe!
The program should greet her with open arms, as Kamilla can only help UCONN toward it's goal of multiple National Championships!

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
So now I’m confused. You threw out a number “600” implying they were all “cutthroat.” Now your saying it’s a general observation and doesn’t apply to all. I will state again that most of these kids are transferring simply to find PT somewhere else. That includes almost all the kids who transferred from UConn with the exception of EDD whose story is well known to UConn fans. These kids aren’t being cutthroat. They’re basketball players who just want a chance to play ball.

You believe everyone in the transfer portal is simply leaving for playing time? Freshmen who might very well get more PT if they, you know, wait like others always have?

The point simply is that the players will do what they feel they have to do, and programs should be able to do the same since this is the new normal, for now.

Reaction Score
I voted yes ,yeah we have a lot of talent but I will remplace her with paith ...we love her but she don't belong to uconn ...6.7 with skills better than 6.5 in the bench ....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom