Husky’s Team Roster Poll | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Husky’s Team Roster Poll

Given the current roster and signed recruits for both ‘21 & ‘22 should Geno add Kamila Cardoso?

• Yes, 6’7” talent is unique and makes the team better

Votes: 124 63.6%
  • No, while talented, the team has bigs and team chemistry is great, why risk it

Votes: 71 36.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I understand that you can’t teach height and I do believe Cardoso has great potential. But as I rewatched the UConn- Cuse game, I saw Cardoso come out strong in the first few minutes and then Liv responded, playing one of her better overall games at UConn.

From that point on, Cardoso had very little impact on the game, playing only 23 minutes and eventually getting herself into foul trouble. While I try to temper my expectations by acknowledging that Cardoso is only a freshman, there were a lot of things that would bother me if I was Geno.

Cardoso stood around a lot, either not sure what to do, or just not playing very hard. I was reminded of Geno’s assessment of Steph many years ago. “She got knocked down a lot. But every time she got knocked down, she got right up and ran back down the court.”

We all watched a 6’7” player with some legitimate skills. I think Geno is looking for something else. Remember, “We don’t teach effort at UConn.” So I voted “no.”

Last edited:
Reaction Score
No and I think Cardozo and Boston are two different type of players with two different body types. May have been only one look into Corodso but I wasn’t enamored with her body language, something I think looms large with Geno. Agree on her conditioning, which can be improved if a kid is eager to make that change.

Reaction Score
For those who are dismissive of chemistry problems, “I don’t see any chemistry problems.”, of course you don’t, you don’t know her! She may be the nicest, hardest working, best teammate ever! On the other hand, she may not be that. Geno recruits talent, but he also looks for a specific type of talent. Players who want to be part of a greater whole, who are not seeking the spotlight for themselves but rather for the team, players who fit the UConn model. If Cardosso fits into his standard parameters then I’m all for it but I think it behooves us all to consider how team chemistry (or lack of it) can often be the difference between success and failure. I doubt that she will be the decider as to whether we win the championship next season. She might make it easier of course.

Reaction Score
Tough call to make. Already a lot of unknown variables going into next season. Makes it that much more complexing to figure out who will play, how players and recruits are going to respond, and how we will win. That is the fascinating part at the moment.

Reaction Score
It took me a long time to decide which way to vote. I also didn't like her effort but I also have no idea what went into that. I'm not a mind reader - I'll leave that to @Carnac :D. My decision was based on the fact that she would play UConn's way or would not play. If she wound up sitting it would be her own fault. If she gets major time it is her own doing also. That spoils nothing for anyone else who also have the same options.

Reaction Score
I understand that you can’t teach height and I do believe Cardoso has great potential. But as I rewatched the UConn- Cuse game, I saw Cardoso come out strong in the first few minutes and then Liv responded, playing one of her better overall games at UConn.

From that point on, Cardoso had very little impact on the game, playing only 23 minutes and eventually getting herself into foul trouble. While I try to temper my expectations by acknowledging that Cardoso is only a freshman, there were a lot of things that would bother me if I was Geno.

Cardoso stood around a lot, either not sure what to do, or just not playing very hard. I was reminded of Geno’s assessment of Steph many years ago. “She got knocked down a lot. But every time she got knocked down, she got right up and ran back down the court.”

We all watched a 6’7” player with some legitimate skills. I think Geno is looking for something else. Remember, “We don’t teach effort at UConn.” So I voted “no.”
That's mostly what I saw also. On at least two transitions when the ball went the other way, she didn't bother to cross half court in pursuit. And the body language she showed a few times would've gotten her yanked off the floor if playing for UConn. I'd like to hear Auriemma's private take on her.

Reaction Score
If you have a million dollars, and someone asks if you'd like another million, would you say No. Hey, it's un-American.
Anyway, we never get the dominant bigs, and several would have turned entire seasons around for us. We can probably win with what we have, but saying No to Kamilla would be tough to swallow. I say: Bank her.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
If you have a million dollars, and someone asks if you'd like another million, would you say No. Hey, it's un-American.
Anyway, we never get the dominant bigs, and several would have turned entire seasons around for us. We can probably win with what we have, but saying No to Kamilla would be tough to swallow. I say: Bank her.
What if you had a million $ and you could make a bet that would either double your money or cut it in half? Also, as far as UConn never getting the dominant Bigs, perhaps you may have forgotten Kara, Rebecca, Tina, Steph & Stewie. Just sayin.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
The only game I saw her play was against us. She did well considering they were overwhelmed and underneath the surface, things were bubbling as Q was weaving his magic.

Reaction Score
I voted yes as it's not Geno's job to be nice, it's his job to win and she definitely has talent and is a huge prexence on the court, I did only see her once - the tourney game, but was not impressed with Cardosa's conditioning or play which could be due to her present coach or supporting cast.

Right now I don't see her as a starter and she's good enogh that she should start and play a lot somewhere, just don't see that happening at UConn given our athletic forwards and adding DJ and DeBerry. On the other hand she has talent, conditioning can be imporved and she would be unstoppable in the right environment - maybe a Kara Wolters down the road, so why not take a shot!
I defintely agree that Geno is paid to win. He is not paid $2+ million just to be a nice guy. If he believes that Cardosa can help win #12, go for it. With the 1K+ transfers in protocol, this same type of thing will happen to so many other teams this summer. For those BYers who frequent other WBB forums, I'm sure this type of discussion is ongoing. Geno knows it. He will make the best decision for the Huskies.

Reaction Score
Yes. As many have mentioned, when you have the chance to add a player of this ability, you take her, and if other players aren't happy, they have other options.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
In throwing caution to the wind, I did hear something interesting this year on One of the SNY Geno undefeated shows with Sue, Swin, Tamika, Asjha Jones and Diana they discussed the 1999-2000 season (Sue’s freshman year) where the team was extremely talented but had MAJOR chemistry issues that prevented them from achieving anything. It was telling the whole group of 4 (before DT so she kept quiet) were so open about the chemistry issues that I had never heard. This also accentuates that talent does not trump chemistry.

Now I AM NOT SAYING that Cardoso would cause chemistry issues but I do think it has to be considered.

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score
One thought I have yet seen expressed. If you consider bigs important then you want the influx of them to be steady, particularly coveted ones. We have two posts in the recent class, one post coming in next year. If we add another post to the Edwards class, where we are well covered, what does that do for our chances to get Del Rosario later? From what I am hearing from our recruiting gurus, Del Rosario should be a higher priority for continued success rather than stockpiling posts in the same class.

Reaction Score
In the WNBA and in other sports, if a free agent is available that will help your team win, you sign the player. If it causes other players at that position to have less playing time, option to the minor leagues, a trade elsewhere or an outright release, so be it.

Why do you think that Huskies' practices are so hard? 'Cause Geno is a nice guy? 'Cause he wants to win !!!

Reaction Score
What if you had a million $ and you could make a bet that would either double your money or cut it in half? Also, as far as UConn never getting the dominant Bigs, perhaps you may have forgotten Kara, Rebecca, Tina, Steph & Stewie. Just sayin.
I was thinking of recent history: Aja, Lauren, Charli, Boston. Tina and Stef were works in progress (as Liv remains), and Stewie was playing out of position. Had EDD come for more than a cuppa, and had we gotten any one of the others, we would have a few more NCs on the board. Or do you doubt it?

Reaction Score
In the WNBA and in other sports, if a free agent is available that will help your team win, you sign the player. If it causes other players at that position to have less playing time, option to the minor leagues, a trade elsewhere or an outright release, so be it.

Why do you think that Huskies' practices are so hard? 'Cause Geno is a nice guy? 'Cause he wants to win !!!
“So be it ?”
Just give the parents a sniff that their daughter is an interchangeable part... better yet that they are nothing more than potential “spare parts” with no commitment from the program.
The definition of brand destruction.
Short sighted.
Include me out.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I was thinking of recent history: Aja, Lauren, Charli, Boston. Tina and Stef were works in progress (as Liv remains), and Stewie was playing out of position. Had EDD come for more than a cuppa, and had we gotten any one of the others, we would have a few more NCs on the board. Or do you doubt it?
Lot of qualifiers to your original comment. Tina and Stef were both 2-time national champions, 1st team AA’s and Tina was a NPOY. Collier was none of the above. I agree that Wilson, Cox & Boston were the best Bigs in their respective class.

As for Stewie playing “out of position”, she will go down as the best Big in the history of WBB, in part because she is incredibly versatile. But she is still a center.

Reaction Score
UCONN would be lucky to land a player like that. Look at what a problem Boston is at SC for opposing teams. There are bigs over the past several years who are total game changers for their teams and opponents need a special game plan to slow them down.

She's a player unlike anything we have. IMHO she has the potential to be one of the best college centers ever. 6'7", strong, mobile, long, smart. We would be so lucky to land her. She has 1st team AA potential, maybe even NPOY. IMHO that's how good she can be.

Geno has potentially the greatest guard combo to ever play together in college. He would be negligent if he didn't do everything he could to surround them with as much great talent as possible.
I will vote YES only because it would probably secure another dominant run and it would drive many over a cliff!! Having said that the above statement is not true at all. Bigs are not game changers in the women's game, guards are.
South Carolina has won nothing with Boston going into her junior year. Baylor won 1 NC with Griner. If you are referring to Stewart her skill set for her size was very unique and not the prototypical BIG.
To say it would be negligent on Geno's part if he didn't bring in Cardoso is an overstatement he has two great recruiting classes coming in this year and next. He is certainly doing his due diligence in acquiring talent.
Like I said I would vote YES but I wouldn't be brokenhearted if it didn't happen...

Last edited:

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
When is it enough? What if 3 All Americans want to join the team? Please stop this line of thinking....it is disruptive and unkind to our players.
We have three number one draft choices on the team. They are likely to get more minutes than the other players. Should we send one of them into the portal just some minutes could be more equal? Perhaps two of them?

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I will vote YES only because it would probably secure another dominant run and it would drive many over a cliff!! Having said that the above statement is not true at all. Bigs are not game changers in the women's game, guards are.
South Carolina has won nothing with Boston going into her junior year. Baylor won 1 NC with Griner. If you are referring to Stewart her skill set for her size was very unique and not the prototypical BIG.
To say it would be negligent on Geno's part if he didn't bring in Cardoso is an overstatement he has two great recruiting classes coming in this year and next. He is certainly doing his due diligence in acquiring talent.
Like I said I would vote YES but I wouldn't be brokenhearted if it didn't happen...
Ok first of all, you need to actually read what I wrote. There ARE bigs who are game changers, and who other teams need special defenses to stop. It's just a fact. Because I only mentioned bigs, and not guards, (who do indeed control the game and also require different special defenses to stop great ones), does not take away from the fact that talented bigs are hugely problematic for many teams to play against.

Second, I never said "Geno would be negligent if he didn't bring in Cardoso". I actually said "He would be negligent if he didn't do everything he could to surround them with as much great talent as possible." Subtle but significant difference related to your comments.

So I don't care if you disagree with me, at least read my post before you say something I wrote "is not true at all".

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
When is it enough? What if 3 All Americans want to join the team? Please stop this line of thinking....it is disruptive and unkind to our players.

Are you still going to be of this mindset if Geno and his staff are recruiting Cardoso?

Reaction Score
Badda bing badda boom! If Geno thinks she can cut the mustard and not be a disruption he will welcome her with open arms.
No attack @Happydad745 but you can't be serious if you follow D1 woman's basketball. Unkind to the players???

Most every player that achieves the level of the upper echelon of D1 basketball have dealt with competition at every level. Middle school, high school, AAU and travel teams.
There is no such thing as too much talent on a limited roster. It is really funny how nobody has mentioned in this thread how nice it would be to have a back up if Olivia or Aaliyah were to suffer a long term injury.
Again no attack but Geno gets paid a lot of ching to to put the best possible team on the floor and one has to think that makes him a happy dad also. ;) He has been proven to be demanding and hard on his players but never unkind. He has also been very gracious to those who chose to move on looking for more minutes to those like EDD that would have gotten a ton of them.
We have a lot of competition in the back court and possibly more in the front court, it does not get any better than that.

Reaction Score
did hear something interesting this year on One of the SNY Geno undefeated shows with Sue, Swin, Tamika, Asjha Jones and Diana they discussed the 1999-2000 season (Sue’s freshman year) where the team was extremely talented but had MAJOR chemistry issues that prevented them from achieving anything. It was telling the whole group of 4 (before DT so she kept quiet) were so open about the chemistry issues that I had never heard. This also accentuates that talent does not trump chemistry.

I too found that very interesting and had never heard of chemistry issues on any UConn team. Looking back in hindsight I may have an inkling as to what they're were referencing. That freshman class was much hyped which might've rubbed some of the veterans the wrong way (Shea/Sveta) just a hunch.

Reaction Score
Ok first of all, you need to actually read what I wrote. There ARE bigs who are game changers, and who other teams need special defenses to stop. It's just a fact. Because I only mentioned bigs, and not guards, (who do indeed control the game and also require different special defenses to stop great ones), does not take away from the fact that talented bigs are hugely problematic for many teams to play against.

Second, I never said "Geno would be negligent if he didn't bring in Cardoso". I actually said "He would be negligent if he didn't do everything he could to surround them with as much great talent as possible." Subtle but significant difference related to your comments.

So I don't care if you disagree with me, at least read my post before you say something I wrote "is not true at all".
He has done everything he could it's called recruiting, and he has two very good recruiting classes coming in. Your choice of words was an overstatement and I stand by that.

The only BIG that has been a "game changer" in recent years was Stewart and that's because she had a expansive skill set and not a prototypical big. Cardoso is a prototypical big who without talented guards around her can be neutralized.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom