Huskies in Italy: Game #2 | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Huskies in Italy: Game #2

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Gotta say that this is getting tiresome. Once and for all, I don't know who's suggesting that Lou play point, because, if it's anyone other than Crystal, I think we thought it might be Kia. That was the interpretation a couple of months ago about a local article, but on our re-reading it more closely, we realized that it was an inference. It might happen, but it wasn't what Geno was necessarily implying in that article

You're just setting this up as a straw man/woman, so that when it doesn't happen, you can gloat. But please, really and truly, Lou ain't going to play point, and no one is saying she will.

All of this conjecture could be cleared up this week if UConn were allowed to play 4-5 of the other D1 teams in Italy this week, instead of the weaker "home" teams. I know that is not allowed, but it sure would be nice, and the games would be a lot more interesting and intense.

Ed4ourgirls wrote: "Before we get too excited about our easy victory over the Dutch National Team, I looked up the NIKE FIBA rankings of national teams following the 2016 Olympics. They ranked 77 teams, and the Dutch team was not among them".

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
If you looked at the recruits and the media hype associated with them--and look at those that actually came close to they hype--that GAP is huge. So, it's no wonder Geno plays down some recruits and up some rare ones---
I try not to get overly excited until I see them play

Geno--as Eric said--is the master of using these games to say--hey kid wake up. Also, he learns who is ready and who is close and who isn't, and who will never be ready. With this large team--he needs that assessment early so he doesn't waste time on those who shall never be.

I guess some of Geno's recruiting is potential, and maybe's---but I often wonder about the precision of the process.

Remember there is a huge difference between AAU or high school and college basketball...........just as in all sports the other team's players are all bigger and faster and more skilled then what they're used to.........rare is the freshman who starts the season with all guns blazing.............

Reaction Score
By the way there was one snippet of the bench, and Lexi Gordon was in street clothes. Not sure if that means chateau de bow wow, or if she has an injury of some kind...

Would have to be injury or HUGE dog house.
Regular dog house = think you might play but never get in game.

Carnac

Reaction Score
I'm guessing that PIP is Points In Paint, but can't figure what the POT and 2CP stats are on the screenshots of the game stats.

Edit: perhaps Points Off Turnovers? If so, how would you determine that?

2CP= 2nd chance points maybe??? :rolleyes:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
CD is missing the unopposed long ball pretty badly. Like to see that shot get healthy before she's a starter.
@RockyMTblue2 something I've been pondering for a while now. Several of the UCONN players Walker, AEH, Dangerfield wear glasses off the court. That probably means wearing contacts while playing. Could UCONN offer Lasik as a benefit for players. Recently read an article where Lasik was a significant improvement over contacts for an NBA player.

Carnac

Reaction Score
That's what I'm talkin' 'bout! :)

She matched Lou's 3-5 from the arc and bettered Lou's 4-5 from the line with 5-5. So much for the legs being shot.

If Kia had barfed in a trash can, she would have covered all the bases for having a great game. :D

Milford, one like was not enough, here's 10 more. Kia is a trooper!! Good post!!

Reaction Score
CD is missing the unopposed long ball pretty badly. Like to see that shot get healthy before she's a starter.

I am not sure Dangerfield will have the same amazing improvement in her 3pt shooting as Jefferson did from her freshman to sophomore year(.266-.418), but I do think she will get better. She shot at a .317 clip last year and I can see her getting that up around .375 this year. As long as she is able to knock them in consistently enough where opposing defenses can't just sag off her and not respect her shot all, she will be just fine.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
@RockyMTblue2 something I've been pondering for a while now. Several of the UCONN players Walker, AEH, Dangerfield wear glasses off the court. That probably means wearing contacts while playing. Could UCONN offer Lasik as a benefit for players. Recently read an article where Lasik was a significant improvement over contacts for an NBA player.

I am pretty sure that LASIK is considered an elective procedure and thus would not be covered under UConn's insurance policy. UConn offering to pay for the surgery has to be an NCAA violation.

Golden Husky

The Midas Touch
Reaction Score
one rumor is that Lexi is in the dog house because word got out that she didn't like Italian food
Nah, she upset Geno when she ordered red wine with fish. That was enough to turn Nash into dog food in From Russia With Love.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score

Fascinating idea. Brings to mind the question of the lighting in that little venue too. Some things Lasik does not do well with - last time I looked about a billion years ago. One was astigmatism. But yeah, right on. Good idea Coco, so I suspect it is against NCAA policy. Every time I see one of our players in her glasses I flash back to a certain court room scene:

Reaction Score
So. Perhaps it is time to dust off the Bad-Ass awards although I suppose it cant really be done unless we have a good video recording since stats alone sometimes don't tell the whole story. Its funny that last year, we often had 3-4 potential winners but this year, I can see games where we can argue about 6 players.
I suggest:

1) We limit the # of BA awards to ONE BA per game, and maybe allow ONE exception per year,

2) Don't award any BA for AAC conference games, as they are just glorified exhibition blowouts, and

3) Recognize Kia Nurse as the true BA of today's game, even though KLS had the most points and Collier had a double-double. Kia hadn't practiced with the team, just played 6 games in 8 days on the other side of the world, showed up jet lagged and trashed, didn't miss a beat, and scored 18 points. Kia is a BAD-ASS!!

HGN

Reaction Score
I was thinking about that dynamic. There can only be two reasons:
1. She's injured.
2. She's doggin' it in practice. :eek:

I seriously doubt it's #2.
I wonder if her conditioning is where Geno thinks it should be.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
If you don't like Italian food, your general IQ is in question, not just your BB IQ. :rolleyes:
I've never been to a good Italian restaurant in Texas, have you?

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Fascinating idea. Brings to mind the question of the lighting in that little venue too. Some things Lasik does not do well with - last time I looked about a billion years ago. One was astigmatism. But yeah, right on. Good idea Coco, so I suspect it is against NCAA policy. Every time I see one of our players in her glasses I flash back to a certain court room scene:

Our girl's have fashionable glasses. I am a sucker for glasses. Pleassssse don't get the LASIK procedure.

Reaction Score
Another rumor has it that Lexi told someone that Geno's italian word for goodbye is "BANG" and his favorite food is broken leg of lamb,suggesting a little underworld stuff,so Geno gave her a choice between the bench and and an offer she can't refuse.But who knows.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I suggest:

1) We limit the # of BA awards to ONE BA per game, and maybe allow ONE exception per year,

Can never work. A large fraction of games have multiple candidates and you will not force BY consensus happily. Also, how could you choose the exception in real time if you only allow one per season?

I suggest:

2) Don't award any BA for AAC conference games, as they are just glorified exhibition blowouts, and

Why limit the fun? Playing your best/hardest even against mediocre competition is pretty badass in general. Imho, an attribute most UConn fans appreciate

I suggest:

3) Recognize Kia Nurse as the true BA of today's game, even though KLS had the most points and Collier had a double-double. Kia hadn't practiced with the team, just played 6 games in 8 days on the other side of the world, showed up jet lagged and trashed, didn't miss a beat, and scored 18 points. Kia is a BAD-ASS!!

Because of Kia's unique circumstances, I agree and I think this game may have a unanimous winner but if only stat's are considered, this is a good example of multiple winners.

Reaction Score

Remember there is a huge difference between AAU or high school and college basketball......just as in all sports the other team's players are all bigger and faster and more skilled then what they're used to....rare is the freshman who starts the season with all guns blazing...
The Frosh year to me is a learning year. I was referring to those who were press and others hyped and were less than stellar beyond the frosh year. That list is not short. It is NOT the Players who are the culprit--it's fans or media overselling abilities. Kid are kids and come with that which they developed or God/Parents gave them.
To be certain those of the DT, Maya, Stewie, Sue, Swin, are few and far between--the Rene's and Mels and Barbara Turners, Wilnet's are surprises and exceeded their size or abilities. I WILL NOT list those I consider less than stellar--they are what they are, were what they were--some tried so hard.
No it is not the players. The media (my belief) oversells and for what reason, I'll never know.

Reaction Score
Steak yes, Italian no....
How long did you live in Texas? Seek and ye shall find, Ny or Philly Italian eateries .
Passing through any town or state as a tourists /once in a while--you can miss the good ones.
Personally I love in the South Mom and Pop eateries--home cooking southern style--that pleasures this displaced Yankee.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hipline

Top Bottom