Hurley wants 2 more scholarship players | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Hurley wants 2 more scholarship players

Reaction Score
One player Hurley is excited about is promising forward Samson Johnson, who appeared in only 13 games as a freshman.

Johnson will have a chance to make a big impact.

"He was close last year to getting an opportunity to play the four for us off the bench," Hurley said. "The whole offseason, he's staying on campus trying to get his body right and just make sure he has a great summer. Just be the best at getting better. If he does that, he's going to have a big impact.

"I'm excited to play a guy with his talent. I'm well-documented of what I think of his talent. So everyone is going to get a chance to see him next year."

Alternate access: Hurley's not done building UConn roster
It was obvious that his body was the main thing holding him back from getting 10-15 minutes per game last year. Hopefully he can come in 10+ lbs heavier than he was at the start of last season and atleast be a contributor off the bench. If he develops his skill set in the offseason, then he may play 20+ minutes per game.

Reaction Score
With everyone talking so much about NIL opportunities, it is easy to forget the value of a scholarship to a world-class institution. Hurley will have no problem finding bench players if that is indeed where his thought process is.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
the summer rain pattern begun this week. summer is here, and with it, all the 'planning and practicing' for the squad. at this late date, methinks danny is in 'needs' mode and not in 'wants' mode.
id put the britney cut up, but would prolly be iced for it, so i'll go with the original.

Reaction Score
It's a tough pitch for those last scholarships on good teams. "Come here and develop as a player and fill out our practices. Enjoy our superb facilities and big-time atmosphere. There's a small chance you'll earn some real minutes but probably not for a couple of years. Every year we'll keep recruiting guys with more potential. Maybe you'll bail at some point? We get it, we'll just find another one to replace you."
We need to get used to players 11 through 13 transferring out before they play for us. They will be glorified practice bodies with the occasional breakthrough player who stays and contributes.

Reaction Score
Didn’t want to start a new thread for this, but Yann Farrell has committed to St Bonaventure so we can cross him off the list. Thought he would have been a solid add for a more “developmental” player. I think the Bonnies is a solid landing spot for him.

FWIW I don’t know if there was any real interest here, but we had been listed as “warm” on 247.

Reaction Score
Didn’t want to start a new thread for this, but Yann Farrell has committed to St Bonaventure so we can cross him off the list. Thought he would have been a solid add for a more “developmental” player. I think the Bonnies is a solid landing spot for him.

FWIW I don’t know if there was any real interest here, but we had been listed as “warm” on 247.
yeah too bad. a quick look on 247 confirms that since avery brown committed to columbia, the top uncommitted '22 guys from New England/Tri State are:

#297 kyle hicks
#312 noah best

in other words, very slim pickings. need to be looking at '23 guys that can reclass.

Reaction Score
If memory serves, Kyle Hicks was the primary guard on New Hampton playing with Karaban and is really a pretty good player in the physical mold of a Cory Floyd. I don't recall him being a shooter, but he is certainly a good enough player to play important minutes in D1 mid level programs, and, a worthwhile 10-13 player for our roster.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
If memory serves, Kyle Hicks was the primary guard on New Hampton playing with Karaban and is really a pretty good player in the physical mold of a Cory Floyd. I don't recall him being a shooter, but he is certainly a good enough player to play important minutes in D1 mid level programs, and, a worthwhile 10-13 player for our roster.

NFW.

He’s a low major player and would never see the floor.

I think he’s committed to some crap school like Tarleton or whatever it’s called.

Reaction Score
With everyone talking so much about NIL opportunities, it is easy to forget the value of a scholarship to a world-class institution. Hurley will have no problem finding bench players if that is indeed where his thought process is.
World class institution? I'm a UConn grad but it's no Michigan, UVA or GA Tech in comparison with other state universities. UConn was #63 in the US News rankings and by comparison University of Florida was #28.

Reactions: DCT
Reaction Score

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
World class institution? I'm a UConn grad but it's no Michigan, UVA or GA Tech in comparison with other state universities. UConn was #63 in the US News rankings and by comparison University of Florida was #28.

Welcome, pedant.

#324 in the world. I dunno how many colleges and universities there are, but it must be in the tens of thousands. I'd say #324 is world class.

And boom.

Reaction Score
UF plays the system. They make decisions based on how it will effect their USNWR ranking and outwardly state so from time to time. It is a great school, but UConn and UF were tied or neck and neck until the last year or two. That was due to UConn making a couple of conscious decisions that would knowingly hurt its ranking by USNWR standards.

Reaction Score
UF plays the system. They make decisions based on how it will effect their USNWR ranking and outwardly state so from time to time. It is a great school, but UConn and UF were tied or neck and neck until the last year or two. That was due to UConn making a couple of conscious decisions that would knowingly hurt its ranking by USNWR standards.

No skin in the game here, merely curious. What did UConn consciously do that would their ranking? I'm assuming there were other positive effects?

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
They all game the rankings, which are a load of crap anyway. We all put way too much stock in them. Florida and FSU are helped by increased demand to be in Florida.

Reaction Score
No skin in the game here, merely curious. What did UConn consciously do that would their ranking? I'm assuming there were other positive effects?
UF actually hired their latest president based on ability and knowledge to climb the USNWR rankings. It was a major goal of the board’s to climb way up the list. There have been a few articles about it with greater detail, but basically it involves hiring full time faculty instead of multiple part timers, students leaving with less debt, alumni donating more and a bunch of other factors that don’t equate to a better education. Florida offers a great prepaid college plan and Bright Futures Scholarships, making state schools a huge bargain. That also fetches more top in state students.

In the case of part time faculty, they are more common in the northeast because there is a huge number of colleges. UConn often shares faculty with people from Connecticut College, CCSU, Trinity and sometimes even schools in RI and Mass. It isn’t uncommon for a professor in Providence, RI to teach classes at Brown, PC and Bryant all at once. That can’t happen in Gainesville because nothing else is even close to it.

Class rank and other factors are also involved. Florida is huge, so it is easier to get all of your students from the top 10-15% of their graduating class. At UConn, in state kids come from a much smaller pool. Even though they may have a lower class rank, their SAT scores and AP credits are on par with UF freshmen.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
In the case of part time faculty, they are more common in the northeast because there is a huge number of colleges. UConn often shares faculty with people from Connecticut College, CCSU, Trinity and sometimes even schools in RI and Mass. It isn’t uncommon for a professor in Providence, RI to teach classes at Brown, PC and Bryant all at once. That can’t happen in Gainesville because nothing else is even close to it.
Covid has made this even easier too. My sister is going to school in Buffalo and had a professor teaching class from her office at UConn

Reaction Score
UF actually hired their latest president based on ability and knowledge to climb the USNWR rankings. It was a major goal of the board’s to climb way up the list. There have been a few articles about it with greater detail, but basically it involves hiring full time faculty instead of multiple part timers, students leaving with less debt, alumni donating more and a bunch of other factors that don’t equate to a better education. Florida offers a great prepaid college plan and Bright Futures Scholarships, making state schools a huge bargain. That also fetches more top in state students.

Class rank and other factors are also involved. Florida is huge, so it is easier to get all of your students from the top 10-15% of their graduating class. At UConn, in state kids come from a much smaller pool. Even though they may have a lower class rank, their SAT scores and AP credits are on par with UF freshmen.

That's super interesting. Never really thought about it. I wonder if having so many adjuncts at the regional campuses is negatively affectiving UConn's ranking?

I know that schools with strong grad student unions (not Florida) are having trouble with rankings because of this. Probably helping grad school rankings though. Well, that's what my wife's department head said. Basically with better working conditions for grad students, they have to rely on using adjuncts to teach classes more instead of the 4th or 5th-year PhD students.

Reaction Score
6’5” shooting guard. Seems like a practice player for us from highlights but I can’t say that for sure. Lanky, can shoot, seems to have some passing skills and he can jump.

Reaction Score

Found this video. I think he is #25. Another source from a year ago said 94% from the line. That's acceptable.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
That's super interesting. Never really thought about it. I wonder if having so many adjuncts at the regional campuses is negatively affectiving UConn's ranking?

I know that schools with strong grad student unions (not Florida) are having trouble with rankings because of this. Probably helping grad school rankings though. Well, that's what my wife's department head said. Basically with better working conditions for grad students, they have to rely on using adjuncts to teach classes more instead of the 4th or 5th-year PhD students.
They all do this now. My daughter is taking Accounting this summer from Northeastern. All online and it's global. There are kids in multiple continents taking this class. Here group study session was at 10 PM last night to accommodate the time zones.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom