Hurley wants 2 more scholarship players | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Hurley wants 2 more scholarship players

Reaction Score
This caused me to question what happens to players who entered the portal and do not get selected by a new team? I can see where there might be many players without a new home. Do they loose their scholarship offer when they enter the portal?

I tried to search for an answer but came up empty.
School holds all the cards. D1 schools are allowed to cancel or reduce a student’s scholarship as early as the next term after a student-athlete officially enters the Transfer Portal.

Reaction Score
This caused me to question what happens to players who entered the portal and do not get selected by a new team? I can see where there might be many players without a new home. Do they loose their scholarship offer when they enter the portal?
I tried to search for an answer but came up empty.

Scholarships are technically year-to-year. They can take a scholly away before any semester at will. No one does, because you'd never get another commit again if you started cutting schollies in December, but they COULD.

So there isn't really a "lose your scholarship when you enter the portal" situation. They just don't fill out the paperwork for the summer semester before the guys get back on campus. The school they're enrolling in does instead.

At least that's how it was when I was at a D2 school.

Reaction Score
We know Castle may or may not reclass, but my first choice would be for any other 2023 targeted recruits with interest who might be candidates to reclass. In basketball order: Griffith, Estrada, Miranda, Ball, Bowen, Kante, Watson, Chapman, Coleman, ... (Bradshaw, the California kids, and some others I assume are more long shots, especially to enroll early) (I have no idea if any player is in academic position to reclass)

Assuming there are no candidates to pursue for next season from the 2023 class, I would hope to get a couple players that each possess at least 1 outstanding skill that could help the team situationally. Understanding at this point we are not legitimately recruiting guys with complete games.

1. A smaller fast PG who can handle pressure with the ball, defend similar players, and make FT's, (Karl Hobbs ish)
2. A 6'7ish wing with a defensive stopper reputation (ie a Lyman Depriest) for pressing full court defense + 1x1
Alternatively, a frontcourt depth piece examples (rim protector without offense) (earth bound power player)

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
What about a 2022 HS graduate from a small town in the midwest that can catch and shoot 3s with his eyes closed? He doesn't need to leap over tall buildings or dribble like Marques Haynes. Just know how to get open.
It seems like there are quite a few teams out there with someone like that who may play a few minutes a game but when he is in he hits shots. In the 4 years he works on the game and it allows him more minutes.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
We should start recruiting the Berkshire League, makes about as much sense as the suggestions in this thread.

To summarize the thread and consolidate it all into one idea - we should wait until August to recruit a desperate three-star football player from a small midwestern town to help our basketball program.

Reaction Score
Teddy Allen is available.

(I’ll see myself out).
I would be fine recruiting a player of this caliber even if they beat us in the tournament.

I am very much against recruiting a player who’s a proven head case and bad human being.

Though I’m sure it doesn’t matter since Hurley probably feels the same and doesn’t see a spot for him in our team. That said, I am intrigued to see what school takes a chance on him out of the portal.

Reaction Score
Also in that article - Victor Rosa, Clingan’s point guard at Bristol Central. Not the 6'6" enforcer type guy, but could add depth as a ball handler
Please

Reaction Score
What about a 2022 HS graduate from a small town in the midwest that can catch and shoot 3s with his eyes closed? He doesn't need to leap over tall buildings or dribble like Marques Haynes. Just know how to get open.
It seems like there are quite a few teams out there with someone like that who may play a few minutes a game but when he is in he hits shots. In the 4 years he works on the game and it allows him more minutes.
If you want another white guy on the team just say that.

Relax, it's a joke

nadav

I hit skins for the hell of it
Reaction Score
There was a ballboy in the early 90's who could straight out fill it up during halftime, I believe he has 4 years of eligibility or maybe 5 with a COVID year. Slow and might struggle when defended, but a real marksmen.

olehead

Atomic Dogs!
Reaction Score
Are we though? You can say Creighton has a better roster and I'll agree with you, but I'm looking around at these other teams and I am not seeing a single one who really has an argument that they are more talented than us. Sanogo, Hawkins, Jackson, and Newton is a ridiculously good core heading into next season.

And also, Baylor Schiermann said yesterday he plans to remain in the draft if he gets a guarantee. If he doesn't end up in Omaha in November, the #1 spot in the BE is up for grabs.

Creighton will always shoot it. Kerwin Walton was a sneaky good acquisition. A starter until Jan/Feb of this year. Not the greatest athlete but he is a strap and he's a confident player.

Unless DH magically pulls something from his hat, I don't see us challenging for one of the top four spots.Talking scenarios here. .

What we'll be relying on now for scoring, just scoring is Newton and Sanogo. When those two are off, who can we rely upon as a third scorer? AJax is my favorite player and I believe he will play in the league one day, though he has yet to show anyone on this forum that he's a reliable scoring threat. Hawkins, who has a chance to make it in the league, now needs to jump to 11-13 pts, with solid D. If Hawkins can do that we'll challenge for a top four spot.

I'm concerned at the lack of QUALITY Interior depth.What sort of proven interior strength do we have other than Sanogo? If he gets 2 fouls midway through the first half against Nova, who do we go to? Are we just gonna throw Donovan to the wolves? Tough to put our future 18/19 yr. old star 5 into that type of scenario and places a lot of pressure on Samson, who's also unproven.

If DH can bring in a fascimile of Northwestern's Pete Nance that would be great. Would not need to start the guy. Someone who can come in and contribute with rebounding, solid interior D and can stretch and shoot the three. Much work to be done, certain DH & Co. are trying to make it happen.

olehead

Atomic Dogs!
Reaction Score
Creighton will always shoot it. Kerwin Walton was a sneaky good acquisition. A starter until Jan/Feb of this year. Not the greatest athlete but he is a strap and he's a confident player.

Unless DH magically pulls something from his hat, I don't see us challenging for one of the top four spots.Talking scenarios here. .

What we'll be relying on now for scoring, just scoring is Newton and Sanogo. When those two are off, who can we rely upon as a third scorer? AJax is my favorite player and I believe he will play in the league one day, though he has yet to show anyone on this forum that he's a reliable scoring threat. Hawkins, who has a chance to make it in the league, now needs to jump to 11-13 pts, with solid D. If Hawkins can do that we'll challenge for a top four spot.

I'm concerned at the lack of QUALITY Interior depth.What sort of proven interior strength do we have other than Sanogo? If he gets 2 fouls midway through the first half against Nova, who do we go to? Are we just gonna throw Donovan to the wolves? Tough to put our future 18/19 yr. old star 5 into that type of scenario and places a lot of pressure on Samson, who's also unproven.

If DH can bring in a fascimile of Northwestern's Pete Nance that would be great. Would not need to start the guy. Someone who can come in and contribute with rebounding, solid interior D and can stretch and shoot the three. Much work to be done, certain DH & Co. are trying to make it happen.

If it were fishy providing cold hard truth you'd be swinging all over him. Its me, different story. I have not been wrong here on the BY about our squad, good or bad. Wasn't wrong about last year. Won't be wrong about this year if Hurley does not shore up interior losses. Always a fan. Who knows the game.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Unless DH magically pulls something from his hat, I don't see us challenging for one of the top four spots.
Rocky And Bullwinkle Internet GIF

Reaction Score
To summarize the thread and consolidate it all into one idea - we should wait until August to recruit a desperate three-star football player from a small midwestern town to help our basketball program.
only if he makes his 3's

Horatio

I played high school football
Reaction Score
Getting clowned for unpopular posts comes with having a BONEYARD account. I can take it. I still think having one kid like this Prince Samuels on the Roster as a 12th-13th player isn’t a bad idea. Keep in mind that the current reality is that if they bring in any kids that are north of 3.5 stars with multiple years of eligibility, it’ll cause problems with the future recruits and what we just brought in.

Reaction Score

Am I missing something? Kerwin Walton is still in the portal and hasn't committed anywhere.

Also, we finished top 3 in the league the last two years, and suddenly - with our best roster since 2014 - we are now going to be worse? Aside from Creighton, which team has a more talented roster than we do? Nova lost their HOF coach , Gillespie, Samuels, and Moore for the year. PC lost everyone and the best transfer they got was Noah Locke who wouldn't even be a starter on our team. Xavier has a couple of good pieces but they don't have anyone that particularly scares me. Marquette is meh. St Johns has a backcourt that shoots the 3 at a 18% clip. Georgetown and Depaul are still Georgetown and Depaul.

Unless Jackson and Hawkins literally do not develop at all (which going by Hurley's track record, will certainly NOT be the case), we are pretty much a lock to finish top 3 again. If Scheirmann stays in the draft, we will be right there with Creighton for that #1 spot.

Sibeerian

Mush on, you Huskies
Reaction Score
It's a tough pitch for those last scholarships on good teams. "Come here and develop as a player and fill out our practices. Enjoy our superb facilities and big-time atmosphere. There's a small chance you'll earn some real minutes but probably not for a couple of years. Every year we'll keep recruiting guys with more potential. Maybe you'll bail at some point? We get it, we'll just find another one to replace you."

Reaction Score
It's a tough pitch for those last scholarships on good teams. "Come here and develop as a player and fill out our practices. Enjoy our superb facilities and big-time atmosphere. There's a small chance you'll earn some real minutes but probably not for a couple of years. Every year we'll keep recruiting guys with more potential. Maybe you'll bail at some point? We get it, we'll just find another one to replace you."
As the summer rolls along and there are less and less starting spots available, guys who are still in the portal will start to feel desperate and most of them will sign on to a program just to ensure that they can maintain a scholarship.

If you were offered a developmental spot on a Big East top 20 caliber roster, with world class facilities and one of the biggest brand names in basketball, versus a bench role at a program like Tulsa, which one are you going to choose? Some kids may value the playing time, fine. But there will be some who take the bait and come here to develop for a year. If they decide to play musical chairs again next season, then whatever. The bottom 3 guys on a roster are likely going to transfer every single year regardless. At this point you just need them for practice and emergency minutes for injuries.

Reaction Score
If they decide to play musical chairs again next season, then whatever. The bottom 3 guys on a roster are likely going to transfer every single year regardless. At this point you just need them for practice and emergency minutes for injuries.

This is something we just have to accept. We're going to lose a few guys, and pick up a couplefew transfers EVERY YEAR. It's just part of the game now. Richie Springs is an anomaly

Reaction Score

One player Hurley is excited about is promising forward Samson Johnson, who appeared in only 13 games as a freshman.

Johnson will have a chance to make a big impact.

"He was close last year to getting an opportunity to play the four for us off the bench," Hurley said. "The whole offseason, he's staying on campus trying to get his body right and just make sure he has a great summer. Just be the best at getting better. If he does that, he's going to have a big impact.

"I'm excited to play a guy with his talent. I'm well-documented of what I think of his talent. So everyone is going to get a chance to see him next year."

Alternate access: Hurley's not done building UConn roster

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom