Hurley quote on 2020 late signing period

Status
Not open for further replies.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
36% on 9+ attempts as a freshman
39% on 6+ attempts as a sophomore

MEAC competition though. So he can shoot, question is if he can get it off against BE competition consistently. I imagine he should be fine if not very good from 3.

If he's open, he'll get it off np. Worrying about PGs getting a 3pt shot off in MCBB doesn't make sense. You aren't shooting over LeBron.

And It's not like we want him grinding to create his own 3pt shot anyway. With the other players we have, we want him facilitating first and foremost.

Reportedly, while not an elite athlete, he is crafty . And has good strength for his size.

Reaction Score
Just thinking about for next year and such, besides a high volume impact guy like Cliff or even Cardwell, I'd love if we brought in a really good shooting grad transfer guard that can be a floor spacer for us. Just thinking about our length and how JC, Akok, Bouknight, Andre, Gaffney, Sid will be able to attack the rim, having a guy like this would be awesome.

Reaction Score
really good shooting grad transfer

IMHO a grad-transfer is the last choice. next year we'll be a preseason top 20 team that's a legit 12 deep.

a grad-transfer would also mean Hurley has to bring in at least 4 new guys for 2021, and possibly up to 6 if akok and bouk leave after their sophomore seasons. 2021 isnt a deep year for talent in the north Atlantic so that would be a real challenge.

the ship has all but sailed on cliff and cardwell, so i hope he snags a sit out transfer. they wont complicate next year's minute distribution and Hurley would add between 3-5 guys in 2021, which is more manageable

even more specifically, i hope it's a sit out transfer PF/C since akok, springs, and ferguson are the only bigs on the roster that should still be here in 2021 (and maybe not even akok)

Last edited:
Reaction Score
IMHO a grad-transfer is the last choice. next year we'll be a preseason top 20 team that's a legit 12 deep.

a grad-transfer would also mean Hurley has to bring in at least 4 new guys for 2021, and possibly up to 6 if akok and bouk leave after their sophomore seasons. 2021 isnt a deep year for talent in the north Atlantic as is so that would be a real challenge.

the ship has all but sailed on cliff and cardwell, so i hope he snags a sit out transfer. they wont mess with next year's minute distribution and Hurley would add between 3-5 guys in 2021, which is more manageable

That's well thought out, and I love sit-out transfers as well. Good call

Reaction Score

a grad-transfer would also mean Hurley has to bring in at least 4 new guys for 2021, and possibly up to 6 if akok and bouk leave after their sophomore seasons. 2021 isnt a deep year for talent in the north Atlantic so that would be a real challenge.

the ship has all but sailed on cliff and cardwell, so i hope he snags a sit out transfer. they wont complicate next year's minute distribution and Hurley would add between 3-5 guys in 2021, which is more manageable

even more specifically, i hope it's a sit out transfer PF/C since akok, springs, and ferguson are the only bigs on the roster that should still be here in 2021 (and maybe not even akok)

Taking into account everything you said here, I wouldn't mind a Brendan Adams type recruit. Bring in a guy who likely wont contribute much if at all on the court his freshman year, but will bring Hurley's level of intensity to practice, be a great teammate and have the potential to contribute later in his career. IMO that would be the best option.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
If he's open, he'll get it off np. Worrying about PGs getting a 3pt shot off in MCBB doesn't make sense. You aren't shooting over LeBron.

And It's not like we want him grinding to create his own 3pt shot anyway. With the other players we have, we want him facilitating first and foremost.

Reportedly, while not an elite athlete, he is crafty . And has good strength for his size.
2-1 assist to turnover ratio as a sophomore on a bad team versus sub par competition in a weak conference and against weak out of conference teams. Best team played against was Ball State. He shot .200% on 1 for 5 on his 2 pt shots and .286% on 2-7 shooting from 3. Had 8 assists and 0 turnovers that game.

Reaction Score
Taking into account everything you said here, I wouldn't mind a Brendan Adams type recruit. Bring in a guy who likely wont contribute much if at all on the court his freshman year, but will bring Hurley's level of intensity to practice, be a great teammate and have the potential to contribute later in his career. IMO that would be the best option.

My goodness. The best option is always an impact player who is going to help you win soon. Not all recruits need to fit into that category, but why are we talking about "settling" with a spot that isn't even open at the moment.

Reaction Score
2-1 assist to turnover ratio as a sophomore on a bad team versus sub par competition in a weak conference and against weak out of conference teams. Best team played against was Ball State. He shot .200% on 1 for 5 on his 2 pt shots and .286% on 2-7 shooting from 3. Had 8 assists and 0 turnovers that game.

Seriously? A guy played well enough to win POTY in his conference and you're going to trash him using statistics over a period of one game?

My son who works in basketball saw him play at GW. He said the only player on the court who was in Cole's class was Yuta Watanabe, who is currently playing for the Memphis Grizzlies. And that it wasn't clear which of them was the better player that day. That reference is worth a hell of a lot more than statistics from one game that none of us saw.

Reaction Score
If Alterique is back next year becomes insanely exciting(it already is). I’d assume that would mean Gaffney playing more off the ball

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Seriously? A guy played well enough to win POTY in his conference and you're going to trash him using statistics over a period of one game?

My son who works in basketball saw him play at GW. He said the only player on the court who was in Cole's class was Yuta Watanabe, who is currently playing for the Memphis Grizzlies. And that it wasn't clear which of them was the better player that day. That reference is worth a hell of a lot more than statistics from one game that none of us saw.
Didn't mean to imply he's a bad player. The opposite actually because I was focusing on his assist to turnover ratio. Someone else posted his 3pt shooting percentages over his freshman and sophomore seasons which are quite good. I posted his shooting in the Ball State game for completeness only to demonstrate that he could have an off shooting day but still be effective.

A 2 to 1 assist ratio is very good for a sophomore. However there has been some concern about his conference so I used the Ball State game to show he can get assists against good teams. I doubt he had the type of players that he will be playing alongside next season on that Howard team.

I will add his FT shooting percentages were .770% his freshman year and .819% his sophomore year. He gets to the line a lot. 248 times his freshman year and 254 times his sophomore year.

The game your son observed was Cole's first college game. He played 34 minutes, shot 3-9 from 2pt range and 2-7 from 3pt range. Went 11-14 FT/FTA. Had 6 assists to 3 turnovers, 3 rebounds, 2 steals and 23 total points. Can see why your son was impressed.

Reaction Score
My goodness. The best option is always an impact player who is going to help you win soon. Not all recruits need to fit into that category, but why are we talking about "settling" with a spot that isn't even open at the moment.
There are no grad transfers that will be impact players on next year's team. Next year we have legitimate NBA talent and Hurley's systems clearly takes more than a year to learn. The best option for the program is a culture guy.

Was Brendan Adams a settle? That worked out damn well.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
There are no grad transfers that will be impact players on next year's team. Next year we have legitimate NBA talent and Hurley's systems clearly takes more than a year to learn. The best option for the program is a culture guy.

Was Brendan Adams a settle? That worked out damn well.

We're trying to win next year. Next year is our best shot. All hands on deck. We might take a step back the following year if Bouk and Akok leave.

1 or 2 of those culture guys on a roster at a time (we have that now w Adams and Whaley). If you get a culture guy who's a top player, then fine.

And we don't yet know which impact grad transfers are available. We'd take a Blackshear type in an instant.

Reaction Score
Khalid El-Amin is the guy most associate with bringing swagger to the program. His bravado helped vault UConn from final four wannabe to national champions.
But long before that Calhoun had to instill toughness, the refuse to take crap attitude that we didn’t have and that was allowing the BEast upper echelon to own the huskies. Lyman DePriest was a key player that brought the toughness. Lyman was not going to let anyone punk him. A physical statement needed to be made and he was the guy. I remember one play in particular where I think a Pitt player was all over DePriest near halfcourt and Lyman simply turned and delivered a sharp elbow. Foul on Lyman, but message received, UConn was NOT backing down any more. Next year’s huskies need a Lyman.

Lyman might be the toughest guy to ever put on a UConn uniform. Nice post.

Reaction Score
We're trying to win next year.

win what? We won’t be championship level even if we do miraculously add the blackshear of grad transfers.

We could still win the big east as presently constructed tho and I’d rather just do that and start a run of ncaa tourney appearances rather than go all in on a sweet sixteen run in 2020 and then have to rebuild in 2021-22. We can’t just reload yet. The path of sustained success will get us onto the national championship trajectory faster

intlzncster

Reaction Score
win what? We won’t be championship level even if we do miraculously add the blackshear of grad transfers.

We could still win the big east as presently constructed tho and I’d rather just do that and start a run of ncaa tourney appearances rather than go all in on a sweet sixteen run in 2020 and then have to rebuild in 2021. The first path of sustained success will get us onto the national championship trajectory faster

Taking a bunch of culture guys does not get you to a national championship level faster. We currently have enough of those guys. 1-2 on the roster per year max. Stockpiling as much pure talent as you can does get you there faster.

How does taking a single grad transfer constitute going 'all in'? That makes no sense.

We are likely going to be taking a step back in 2021 if/when Bouk and Akok leave. You don't lose (what will be) your two best players and get better. Never happens.

Reaction Score
Taking a bunch of culture guys does not get you to a national championship level faster. We currently have enough of those guys. 1-2 per year max. Stockpiling as much pure talent as you can does get you there faster.

How does taking a single grad transfer constitute going 'all in'? That makes no sense.

you said we’re trying to win next year. I think we’re already in a position to do that while avoiding a total rebuild in 2021 and 2022.

I also didn’t say anything about a culture guy, I’m on record saying a sit-out transfer that can make an impact starting in 2021 when we might otherwise have to replace 6 players.

Reaction Score

We could still win the big east as presently constructed tho and I’d rather just do that and start a run of ncaa tourney appearances rather than go all in on a sweet sixteen run in 2020 and then have to rebuild in 2021-22. We can’t just reload yet. The path of sustained success will get us onto the national championship trajectory faster
We wouldn't be a championship level team if we added a Blackshear level player next year? Florida was #6 preseason and they have way less talent and depth than we'll have next year. Have you looked around at the landcape of college basketball. Hell, there aren't too many teams I would be scared of us playing right now. Don't think we are as far away as you do.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
you said we’re trying to win next year. I think we’re already in a position to do that while avoiding a total rebuild in 2021 and 2022.

I also didn’t say anything about a culture guy, I’m on record saying a sit-out transfer that can make an impact starting in 2021 when we might otherwise have to replace 6 players.

well we were discussing taking a culture guy when you chimed in.

And there's a difference between a total rebuild and taking a step back.

But you take your shots when you have them, and in my opinion, as of right now, next year will be our best shot in the 2019, 2020, 2021 time frame. Obviously things can change as the landscape changes.

Reaction Score
We wouldn't be a championship level team if we added a Blackshear level player next year? Florida was #6 preseason and they have way less talent and depth than we'll have next year. Have you looked around at the landcape of college basketball. Hell, there aren't too many teams I would be scared of us playing right now. Don't think we are as far away as you do.

No I really don’t think we would be a final four contender. Even with blackshear Florida hasn’t been nearly as good as advertised. He was the best grad transfer in years so I’m not betting on getting someone as good as him anyways. This obviously depends on who’s available as a grad transfer or sit out transfer so it’s a case by case thing. All else equal I’d want the sit out transfer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom