Hurley quote on 2020 late signing period | Page 8 | The Boneyard

Hurley quote on 2020 late signing period

Status
Not open for further replies.

UconnU

Demolish the XL center.
Reaction Score
Keep in mind to the best of our knowledge we’re not currently recruiting or even scouting any 2020 kids anymore. Recruiting has largely gone silent. I’m now of the belief Hurley said this to light a fire under the kids more than anything.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
not big on this whole '2023, 2036...' stuff. the story so far. top coach? check. top new talent?
check. quality veterans? check. soooo, why not now? the raptors and the nationals called to say 'hi' from mr napier's house.

Reaction Score
win what? We won’t be championship level even if we do miraculously add the blackshear of grad transfers.

We could still win the big east as presently constructed tho and I’d rather just do that and start a run of ncaa tourney appearances rather than go all in on a sweet sixteen run in 2020 and then have to rebuild in 2021-22. We can’t just reload yet. The path of sustained success will get us onto the national championship trajectory faster

I see no reason why this team can't be a national contender next season. Great coach, real depth, Bouk, Akok, Josh, Jackson, Cole, Adams, Polley ... that's a lot of talent. This rebuild is going extremely well. Don't count us out in 2020-21.

Reaction Score
Keep in mind to the best of our knowledge we’re not currently recruiting or even scouting any 2020 kids anymore. Recruiting has largely gone silent. I’m now of the belief Hurley said this to light a fire under the kids more than anything.

We've been on 2021s this winter. But for 2020 yes.

Reaction Score
Lyman might be the toughest guy to ever put on a UConn uniform. Nice post.
Top 5 of toughest guys to wear National Flag blue.

1 - Lyman
2 - Jake, my favorite Husky
3 - Adrien
4 - Ricky
5 - Donny Marshall

And of course they all played for the toughest coach ever.

We need a Lyman type player who scares opponents by just showing up.

Reaction Score
Adrien and Thabeet together scared opponents just by walking into the gym. I’m from Seattle, had the opportunity to talk with Jon Brockman a few times. He’s quite physically imposing himself.

He said he was nervous as heck when Thabeet and Adrien walked into the gym and he knew he had to go up against them.

In fact, he said he was more scared of Thabeet than Adrien. I loved hearing that as a UConn fan.

Reaction Score
Khalid El-Amin is the guy most associate with bringing swagger to the program. His bravado helped vault UConn from final four wannabe to national champions.
But long before that Calhoun had to instill toughness, the refuse to take crap attitude that we didn’t have and that was allowing the BEast upper echelon to own the huskies. Lyman DePriest was a key player that brought the toughness. Lyman was not going to let anyone punk him. A physical statement needed to be made and he was the guy. I remember one play in particular where I think a Pitt player was all over DePriest near halfcourt and Lyman simply turned and delivered a sharp elbow. Foul on Lyman, but message received, UConn was NOT backing down any more. Next year’s huskies need a Lyman.
Lyman DePriest, Chris Smith, Cliff Robinson, Scottie Burrell....my favorite era...before the championships. Chris Smith might be favorite all time Husky.

Reaction Score
No I really don’t think we would be a final four contender. Even with blackshear Florida hasn’t been nearly as good as advertised. He was the best grad transfer in years so I’m not betting on getting someone as good as him anyways. This obviously depends on who’s available as a grad transfer or sit out transfer so it’s a case by case thing. All else equal I’d want the sit out transfer
Next season even without a Blackshear type transfer no one is going to want to see us. If Gilbert returns? We’re looking like the best UConn team since 2014 and we’d be deeper than them. All of these guys especially Akok, Bouknight and Gaffney a year older, stronger and better, along with a deep front court. The addition of RJ Cole. Richie Springs coming in with a full developmental year under his belt. We’re going to have very few weaknesses imo. Hurley has a track record of his players developing under him (see Brendan Adams, Isaiah Whaley, CV). I haven’t even mentioned Andre Jackson, whose getting ready to blow up. We’re a valcano scheduled to erupt next season. It’s going to be fun.

Reaction Score
Has had severe knee injuries the last two years.
No idea if he's interested in UConn and I hope he finds a home somewhere. But don't want to tie up a scholarship on a guy who can't stay healthy. Especially if it's only for one year. He gets hurt again (assuming he's healthy for next year) and we've totally wasted a scholarship.

Reaction Score
2 years of eligibility yes please. over the summer @Chief00 was saying hurley was bringin in 4 guys for 2020 and now i believe it (not b/c of towns). 2 down 2 to go.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

1 - Lyman
3 - Adrien
4 - Ricky
5 - Donny Marshall

I think Toraino Walker and Rod Sellers would also be in that category

Reaction Score
Boat and bazz get so under appreciated in this as well. Boston and Chicago.

Reaction Score
Lyman DePriest, Chris Smith, Cliff Robinson, Scottie Burrell....my favorite era...before the championships. Chris Smith might be favorite all time Husky.

Let's talk about DePriest and toughness. DePriest started for the NIT championship team as a frosh, and then was recruited over as we brought in more talented players and knew he wasn't getting more than 10 minutes a game. His reaction was to simply keep playing every bit as hard when he was in.

The toughness wasn't just physical.

Reaction Score
“Going into the late signing period, a critical need for us is going to be a toughness, a self-confidence, a swagger,” he said. “Obviously, we’re going to be looking for basketball-related things. But we do need more tough-minded wolves … that will become Huskies.”

Clearly not done in 2020.

Whatever y’all the man is telling you how that slot will be filled. Frosh or fifth year I expect a growler!
ABFE7AD0-C8A7-4FC5-907F-4B9AC43BE2BB.jpeg

Reaction Score
Bump.

“As for recruiting, he declined to name any specific top tier of schools, but did comment on the interest shown from UConn so far.
“UConn is a good school,” Sanogo said. “It’s a good school and I like it. One more year – I’m going to take my time and see what’s best for me.”
Reclassification to 2020 has also been thrown around as an option for Sanogo. But according to him, it’s not a focus.
“I don’t know yet,” he responded curtly when asked about the potential to reclassify.”

Reaction Score

1 - Lyman
3 - Adrien
4 - Ricky
5 - Donny Marshall

You have it backswords
Gilbert is a bulldog
Vital is Bulldog

Lyman had moments But on his best Teams we had Smith , Henefeld, Tate , more.
Donny played with Donyell and Ray,and KO. ( Hello)
Ricky,&Jake were surrounded by heartless killers.
Adrian , played with AJ ,Thabeet , Kemba and more
We got the bulldogs its the assassins we need.
The two above are as tough as they come.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom