Hurley quote on 2020 late signing period | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Hurley quote on 2020 late signing period

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I expect another RJ Cole/Springs to come in and sit for a year in the program. Forget who it was now but someone mentioned that's what Hurley wants to do to get guys adjusted to his system
I had heard this, and I believe posted it. I think if everyone comes back and we have the roster @JimHurley listed, it makes sense to have someone sit out a year either as a transfer or a redshirt when you are basically 12 deep, rather than wasting a scholarship on someone who won't realistically play.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
After this weekend, I’m convinced we’ll be STACKED next year. I don’t think we’ll be able to get a grad transfer because there’s no immediate minutes available. I think it’ll be an underrecruited guard that is fine not contributing year 1.

We’ll have:
PG: Cole, Adams, Gaffney
SG: Bouknight and Jackson
SF: Polley and Sid
PF: Akok, Whaley, Springs
C: Carlton and Brown-Ferguson

Good luck finding a guy with 1 year of eligibility left that will join us with that depth. Like I said this weekend changed my perspective on next year. Guys are getting better and we have 4 new contributors coming in next year. I think we’re looking at a 24-25 win season

We don't need a body on the perimeter next year. We need someone who really can shoot. If we can't get that guy, the get a quality transfer or just bank the schollie.

Reaction Score
After this weekend, I’m convinced we’ll be STACKED next year. I don’t think we’ll be able to get a grad transfer because there’s no immediate minutes available. I think it’ll be an underrecruited guard that is fine not contributing year 1.

We’ll have:
PG: Cole, Adams, Gaffney
SG: Bouknight and Jackson
SF: Polley and Sid
PF: Akok, Whaley, Springs
C: Carlton and Brown-Ferguson

Good luck finding a guy with 1 year of eligibility left that will join us with that depth. Like I said this weekend changed my perspective on next year. Guys are getting better and we have 4 new contributors coming in next year. I think we’re looking at a 24-25 win season
this assumes no one else leaves to play more minutes elsewhere, which has been an idea floating around in other posts

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Some questions that may influence who we go after are
-Is Javonte physically ready to play next year and not redshirt?
-Does Jackson play more like a guard that can handle or is he more of a SF like Sid?
-Is Bouknight a 1 and done?
-Will there be any high major sit-out transfers worth using a scholarship spot on?
-Is Cliff still in the picture?
-Who from 2021 can reclassify?

Unless he doesn't qualify academically, Javonte is not redshirting.

Looking at Jackson's current skillset as seen on youtube, he's a pure wing at the moment.

Reaction Score
6'8 F Kevin Marfo on Quinnipiac is currently leading D1 in rebounding. He transferred from GW and appears to have 1 year of eligibility left after this year.

Reaction Score
I had heard this, and I believe posted it. I think if everyone comes back and we have the roster @JimHurley listed, it makes sense to have someone sit out a year either as a transfer or a redshirt when you are basically 12 deep, rather than wasting a scholarship on someone who won't realistically play.

Agree. 12 deep is too deep. Nobody will be happy. 10 deep is as deep as it really should get with it being 8 and a few spot minutes here and there for a ninth in big games.

Reaction Score
Im giddy thinking of talk this year that we’re actually TOO deep. Such a contrast from past years

krinklecut

Class of '11
Reaction Score
Some questions that may influence who we go after are
-Is Javonte physically ready to play next year and not redshirt?
-Does Jackson play more like a guard that can handle or is he more of a SF like Sid?
-Is Bouknight a 1 and done?
-Will there be any high major sit-out transfers worth using a scholarship spot on?
-Is Cliff still in the picture?
-Who from 2021 can reclassify?
lol Bouknight will not be NBA ready after this year.

Reaction Score
Agree. 12 deep is too deep. Nobody will be happy. 10 deep is as deep as it really should get with it being 8 and a few spot minutes here and there for a ninth in big games.

I don’t expect Springs or Javonte Brown Ferguson to be huge contributors year one. I think they’ll be eased into their roles and will step in once Carlton and Whaley (and possibly Akok) leave. That leaves 10, which Hurley likes to use. I think the main rotation will be Cole, Gaffney, Adams, Bouknight, Jackson, Polley, Sid, Akok, Whaley, and Carlton.

Reaction Score
6'8 F Kevin Marfo on Quinnipiac is currently leading D1 in rebounding. He transferred from GW and appears to have 1 year of eligibility left after this year.

Saw him at GW. Not good enough to help us get where we want to be. More RJ Evans than Kromah.

Reaction Score

NBA GM's don't care and they believe (usually correctly) that their team's resources can develop players better than colleges can. For the record, I think Bouknight and Akok will be here for 2 seasons but it wouldn't be surprising for either of them to leave if it is guaranteed they would be a first rounder.

Reaction Score
I don’t expect Springs or Javonte Brown Ferguson to be huge contributors year one. I think they’ll be eased into their roles and will step in once Carlton and Whaley (and possibly Akok) leave. That leaves 10, which Hurley likes to use. I think the main rotation will be Cole, Gaffney, Adams, Bouknight, Jackson, Polley, Sid, Akok, Whaley, and Carlton.
I agree on Javonte Brown Ferguson. I think he will be raw for a freshman.

I think Springs may surprise people next year. He will have a had a full year of practicing with the team, and in Sal's program. He is still growing. Hurley has talked about him being one of the best offensive rebounders he has ever had. I can see Springs playing like Alexis Yetna did last year for USF. This year redshirting will help him immensely.

Reaction Score
Yep, the Jay Wright way. Landers Nolley at Va Tech was forced into a redshirt last year and he looks awesome this year. I expect Cole and Springs to be good right away next season.

Reaction Score
Nope, Hurley likes playing 10 guys and you always want a full roster. 12 who can play with 1 sitting out and getting better seems perfect. A couple of guys on every great team aren't going to play much but want to be a part of a great team/program where they help with practice play/being good teammates and have title aspirations.

Reaction Score
I agree on Javonte Brown Ferguson. I think he will be raw for a freshman.

I think Springs may surprise people next year. He will have a had a full year of practicing with the team, and in Sal's program. He is still growing. Hurley has talked about him being one of the best offensive rebounders he has ever had. I can see Springs playing like Alexis Yetna did last year for USF. This year redshirting will help him immensely.
Springs wil be a big contributor next year

Reaction Score
What is interesting is the comparison to KO. On paper, KO recruited well. He grabbed the best he could get and jammed them into an iso-style, make your opportunity approach. In contrast, DH recruits to team profile within his system and philosophy. What a huge difference that makes. Just light years better than Ollie.

Reaction Score
Just thinking about Bouk and Akok leaving after 1 season gives me a headache, I'm hoping for 2 years, that roster posted earlier is what we've been waiting for the last few years. In the meantime we have a team that young and exciting and so easy to root for. This will be a fun year.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Not sure I'd say he plays great D right now, though I could easily just see that being a factor of his ankle not being at 100%. He's just been off balance a lot going laterally on D and tripping over himself, which feels like an ankle issue.

He has been outright terrible on D. Guys blow by him like he isn't there. That said, I don't think he's a project in the Brendan Adams mold at all. I think he'll be very good, even this season. His ankle could be part of the issue on D. His offensive confidence is growing rapidly.

As for the assumed open scholarship, it could be a guard, but I don't think it has to be. People have questioned whether a grad transfer would crack our lineup, and I'll say again, Seth Towns certainly would. He'd likely start over Polley or Sid at SF, and Jackson as well.

But I think Hurley has the luxury right now of seeing what he needs and what is out there. If a backup guard is the need, there will be those guys.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
We don't need a body on the perimeter next year. We need someone who really can shoot. If we can't get that guy, the get a quality transfer or just bank the schollie.
I think we'll be decent from the perimeter with Bouk, Akok, Polley and Adams. How was RJ Cole from deep?

Reaction Score
I think we'll be decent from the perimeter with Bouk, Akok, Polley and Adams. How was RJ Cole from deep?

Money from deep. Shot almost 39% last season and that was with opposing defenses zoning in on him. That won’t happen when we have options like Bouk, Jackson, Akok, Polley, and Carlton on the court. I’d expect him to shoot well over 40% from 3.

Reaction Score
He many not be a lottery pick this year but a team drafting later may think of Bouk as a future lottery pick that they can steal. The more he plays the more we should prepare for his departure.

Reaction Score
He many not be a lottery pick this year but a team drafting later may think of Bouk as a future lottery pick that they can steal. The more he plays the more we should prepare for his departure.
The second part of your post is why they won't have a chance to draft him late

caw

Reaction Score

36% on 9+ attempts as a freshman
39% on 6+ attempts as a sophomore

MEAC competition though. So he can shoot, question is if he can get it off against BE competition consistently. I imagine he should be fine if not very good from 3.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom