Hurley ponders his options to go double big | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Hurley ponders his options to go double big

ColchVEGAS

Still buckin like five, deuce, four, trey.
Reaction Score
I am not opposed to the two bigs lineup and it is a completely different look than our two "bigs" lineup with Whaley and Adama. Whaley and Clingan are two completely different players with different skill sets so I do not think we should compare our offensive struggles with that lineup to what we can run out there this year.

We are a better shooting team this year, on paper, than last year and clogging up the middle should open up looks for the wings and guards. Should a Clingan/Sanogo lineup be the primary lineup? Probably not, but I am not going to cast it off until it is proven to be a detriment.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
In the video posted the other day, Luke mentions that Hurley sees the game as one of three positions. Guard, Wing, Forward. I would assume "Forward" means the same as "Big". So, yes, we will play two bigs most of the time. Adama, Johnson, Karaban, Clingan, Springs are our forwards/bigs (not counting the internationals, don't know how they fit).

Do I expect the pairing of Clingan and Sanogo to happen often? No. I'm sure it will happen, but not much.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
In the video posted the other day, Luke mentions that Hurley sees the game as one of three positions. Guard, Wing, Forward. I would assume "Forward" means the same as "Big". So, yes, we will play two bigs most of the time. Adama, Johnson, Karaban, Clingan, Springs are our forwards/bigs (not counting the internationals, don't know how they fit).

Do I expect the pairing of Clingan and Sanogo to happen often? No. I'm sure it will happen, but not much.
Could be 2 guards and wings with 1 forward though. But it does seem like the starting unit would consider AK a forward based on that video.

StllH8L8ner

You’ll get nothing and like it!
Reaction Score
I wouldn’t hate the idea of two bigs if one or both can pass into the post and/or consistently hit jumpers from the free throw area if the middle is open. DC could make a living on alley oops if that were the case similar to Amida.

Reaction Score
Another point is they both have good hands unlike certain past guys discussed.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Isaiah Whaley by all standards was a solid shooter for a big. Do we expect DC to shoot like he did? I really don’t understand this logic.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Isaiah Whaley by all standards was a solid shooter for a big. Do we expect DC to shoot like he did? I really don’t understand this logic.
He should be better than Whaley was. But the main thing really, is his passing. He’s a good passer, and at 7’2” there isn’t a damned thing anybody can do about it. So, you get him the ball above the FT line and he’s a threat to shoot or pass. How do you defend his entry pass to the post?

Whaley was a limited player. Not a good passer, a meh shooter and no ability to attack off the bounce. Defense is a different story.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
He should be better than Whaley was. But the main thing really, is his passing. He’s a good passer, and at 7’2” there isn’t a damned thing anybody can do about it. So, you get him the ball above the FT line and he’s a threat to shoot or pass. How do you defend his entry pass to the post?

Whaley was a limited player. Not a good passer, a meh shooter and no ability to attack off the bounce. Defense is a different story.
How does this effect Samson Johnson’s legacy?

Reaction Score
Potentially 2 Centers playing at once. Jackson as a guard when he gets back. We will be big for sure. But we sound like an average shooting slow team.

Who knows. Maybe it'll work.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score

Freshman DC is going to be better offensively than senior year Whaley?

Reaction Score
Did you miss the part of that post where he said DC is 7'2" (while Whaley was 6'9"). I'd say that could make quite the difference. Below is the part of Husky Hawks post you're failing to acknowledge

"He’s a good passer, and at 7’2” there isn’t a damned thing anybody can do about it. So, you get him the ball above the FT line and he’s a threat to shoot or pass. How do you defend his entry pass to the post?"

Reaction Score
Exactly this. Not only was Whaley a better shooter/floor spacer than either DC or Adama, he had way more lateral quickness and is a much better on ball defender against wings/guards than either (yes, we haven't technically seen DC play defense in college, no, I'm not going to entertain the thought that he's better at guarding guards in college than a former BE DPOY).

I realize that it's tempting to look at their combined size and wonder what if, but this two bigs idea is a joke. Like it or not, putting two guys who can't shoot consistently from beyond 15 feet is a recipe for a stagnant offense, one of them will always be getting dragged out of the lane and targeted on defense, they'd get killed in transition, etc. Please stop citing 80's NBA teams as an example of two bigs working. They don't. Adama will start, hopefully DC gets some decent minutes this year and gets some valuable college experience that allows him to seamlessly step in when Adama goes.

Reaction Score
Did you miss the part of that post where he said DC is 7'2" (while Whaley was 6'9"). I'd say that could make quite the difference. Below is the part of Husky Hawks post you're failing to acknowledge

"He’s a good passer, and at 7’2” there isn’t a damned thing anybody can do about it. So, you get him the ball above the FT line and he’s a threat to shoot or pass. How do you defend his entry pass to the post?
That extra five inches is completely meaningless. You're suggesting they run the entire offense through a freshman center? Where does Sanogo work in this scenario - they're both sitting in the paint playing a high low game like its 1950? Are we aiming to keep the total score under 100, as I don't see us getting up and down in transition with those two?

The point is - Whaley, who was a six year senior who could shoot from deep, is almost certainly a better offensive option than a freshman DC who has never played a minute of college ball, especially when it comes to spacing and having a coherent offense.

Hurley could barely get a decently productive offense on the court with Bouknight et al, and the suggestion is less shooting and more lane clogging?

Reaction Score
That extra five inches is completely meaningless. You're suggesting they run the entire offense through a freshman center? Where does Sanogo work in this scenario - they're both sitting in the paint playing a high low game like its 1950? Are we aiming to keep the total score under 100, as I don't see us getting up and down in transition with those two?

The point is - Whaley, who was a six year senior who could shoot from deep, is almost certainly a better offensive option than a freshman DC who has never played a minute of college ball, especially when it comes to spacing and having a coherent offense.

Hurley could barely get a decently productive offense on the court with Bouknight et al, and the suggestion is less shooting and more lane clogging?
Who said they're going to run the entire offense through him??? The discussion is to play them together for maybe 5-10 minutes a game where Hurley sees fit not 30 minutes a game. Jesus nothing the BY loves more than blowing things out of proportion

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
How does this effect Samson Johnson’s legacy?
Samson will make many highlight reel dunks off of lob feeds from Clingan, or in transition from his outlet passes after rebounds.
He should be a better passer based on what Hurley has said. He's probably better as a post scorer, for the obvious reason that he's so much harder to defend. Shooting? I don't know but it wouldn't surprise me. I'm paraphrasing, but didn't Hurley say he was "Big East ready" as an offensive player? It's defense, footspeed, and other things that will take time.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score

"He’s a good passer, and at 7’2” there isn’t a damned thing anybody can do about it. So, you get him the ball above the FT line and he’s a threat to shoot or pass. How do you defend his entry pass to the post?"
Lol are we really going to reference height, not skill, as to why someone is better? He may be a better passer but he may be so far behind in other areas that it doesn’t matter. If the only thing you ever here about a big is that he’s a good passer then I don’t find that encouraging.

I’d honestly be surprised if we saw any success from DC especially after we saw how things were with Samson last year. And Hurley said he had NBA potential.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Samson will make many highlight reel dunks off of lob feeds from Clingan, or in transition from his outlet passes after rebounds.

He should be a better passer based on what Hurley has said. He's probably better as a post scorer, for the obvious reason that he's so much harder to defend. Shooting? I don't know but it wouldn't surprise me. I'm paraphrasing, but didn't Hurley say he was "Big East ready" as an offensive player? It's defense, footspeed, and other things that will take time.
Whaley was actually pretty good in the post. He took a back his Senior year because he was regulated to being a stretch 4 but do you remember how good he was when he played C his junior year? Automatic double double. I don’t see DC being that at all. As I said previously too, Samson said Samson was a future NBA player and we saw how his freshman season went.

Reaction Score

Hurley says a lot of things, it's hard to believe people take his preseason talk so seriously.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Whaley was actually pretty good in the post. He took a back his Senior year because he was regulated to being a stretch 4 but do you remember how good he was when he played C his junior year? Automatic double double. I don’t see DC being that at all. As I said previously too, Samson said Samson was a future NBA player and we saw how his freshman season went.
So in one post you talked about how great Whaley was on offense (and we know he was the DPOY), and then you say, Samson must not be good because, as a freshman, he didn't play over a 5th year Whaley (and 5th year Polley, and 3rd year Akok).

Whaley was really good scoring the ball for a stretch as the C. But he struggled against teams with a shot blocker. Cincinnati completely owned him with Vogt. But I don't know why we are making the comparison to begin with. They are totally different players. For the record, I don't expect Clingan to be a major contributor this year. I do think he's a guy that will be a challenge for other teams on the offensive end when he does play.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom