Hurley ponders his options to go double big | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Hurley ponders his options to go double big

Reaction Score
Chief suggested double bigs last summer and now the coach is saying it. Why not have a zone package in away/neautral court games when Calhoun isn’t in attendance. LOL
He has pretty good skills but sure in HS, why not have your Big do dunks, layups and baby hooks.
Double bigs is a godawful idea. This is a team that couldn’t shoot from three at all last year to the point where defenses packed the lane and practically dared us to shoot. Playing two bigs - one a freshman - is a recipe for disaster offensively and on defense neither has the foot speed to stay with athletic fours who can shoot.

Glad to see Hurley has as much fun speculating about wacky lineups as the BY does in the offseason though.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
So let me get this straight. We spent most of last year complaining about the Whaley/Sanogo lineup when Whaley was the DPOY and a 30% 3 point shooter, but we’re going to talk ourselves into the idea of a DC/As lineup?

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Not Gonna Happen No Way GIF by FaZe Clan
We agree on something for once lol

Reaction Score
Many of you aren't going to like this article. I can't see Hurley doing this much anyway.

“Coach talked about me and Donovan playing at the same time. I think it can be good,” Sanogo said. “I am definitely shooting this year. If my defender doesn’t come out, I’m shooting it because my shot is getting better.

“Donovan has stuff he still has to work on. He is a good player. He is going to be fine. He has potential. He has to work on defense. In the Big East, there are teams you have to be able to switch everything. Villanova and St. John’s don’t play with a big man, so you have to switch. I think he will be fine.”

“Donovan is such a skilled passer, even in the high post and key area, whether it is versus a zone or man-to-man that we are tinkering, especially with Andre’s injury, at playing more zone and trying to find a way to get them on the court together a little bit,” Hurley said. “Obviously, we really want to play Donovan.”

I can't get any of the free article websites to work with the Waterbury Republican-American. But you can register with them for free and get 5 articles a week. I did that and it took 10 seconds.
I can’t read or listen to this coach talk anymore. Let’s see what happens when the games mean something

Reaction Score
Depends on the plus/minus of the combo versus what Sanogo does alone. I’m a little skeptical about pulling Adama away from the basket consistently. He’s been too big a force there. Plus, either of our centers are going to struggle to guard at the perimeter. Having both of them out there at the same time would seem to be risky.
I would do high / low. Foul line entry pass to guy on box. I agree neither is a 3 point threat. On this team we have Hawkins, Karaban and Joey California for the 3’s. Newton may be a threat also.

Reaction Score
Double bigs is a godawful idea. This is a team that couldn’t shoot from three at all last year to the point where defenses packed the lane and practically dared us to shoot. Playing two bigs - one a freshman - is a recipe for disaster offensively and on defense neither has the foot speed to stay with athletic fours who can shoot.

Glad to see Hurley has as much fun speculating about wacky lineups as the BY does in the offseason though.
This is a totally different 3 team than last season.

Reaction Score
Can Sanogo play on the perimeter and let DC be the big man in the paint? Maybe!

But that doesn't mean he should. Sanogo was BE 1st team and BE preseason POY by bullying his way through all of America from 10ft and within. Really not sure why you would pull him out to the perimeter so that a freshman can have the paint.

I can see it in some early season schemes for fun, but I really don't think we'll see this in the PKI or conference play (unless we're rocking Depaul by 20+)
To me double bigs is not playing one on the permitter, that would defeat the purpose.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
To me double bigs is not playing one on the permitter, that would defeat the purpose.
If you’ve got two clogging the paint you were going to be vulnerable on the perimeter against good teams

Reaction Score
When we played Clemson in 1990, during the Tate George end of game miracle shot with Dale Ellis as their coach, they played 2 bigs , Dale Davis and Elden Campbell, aka the "Duo of Doom."

As I recall, they both played near the basket with one a center and the other a power forward, and they complemented each other well, but neither played on the perimeter.

Not saying Sanogo and Clingan can complement each other playing near the basket. Time will tell if this ever occurs.

Reaction Score
When we played Clemson in 1990, during the Tate George end of game miracle shot with Dale Ellis as their coach, they played 2 bigs , Dale Davis and Elden Campbell, aka the "Duo of Doom."

As I recall, they both played near the basket with one a center and the other a power forward, and they complemented each other well, but neither played on the perimeter.

Not saying Sanogo and Clingan can complement each other playing near the basket. Time will tell if this ever occurs.
The game has changed significantly in the past 30+ years.

Reaction Score
You all know that I think the world of DC for a variety of reasons. Biggest is he has been a winner and proven team player.
When he is in the game he will raise the level of play for EVERYBODY. Think of the confidence this will instil in our 3 pt shooters with a big like that rebounding. He's a big stud not a dud. If you want a difference maker DC is it.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
The game has changed significantly in the past 30+ years.
And both of those guys were more mobile and athletic than either Sanogo or Clingan. I don’t expect this except very situationally where it would help us defensively.

Reaction Score
I love it, especially against some of the mid majors. No one’s gonna be able to match up size wise with Sanogo down low, and especially not Sanogo and clingan. There’s nothing better than size to guarantee we don’t lose some of these lower level gimme games we have on the OOC schedule.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
Double-big ain't gonna happen except in very specific matchups.

Very true.

This is one of those proclamations we hear every preseason like : "We are going to be a running team this year and push tempo" , ;-) That never happens.

This won't either except like you mentioned "specific matchups" and I can't imagine many that will lend itself to it.

From what I'm hearing though, it may the only way Donovan sees much floor early on. He's still absorbing, and Sanogo simply won't allow it with his own play. Adama is playing that well right now, and never wants out.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
It has to be against a team whose 4 and 5 are not great shooters and not overly athletic for Sanogo and Clingan to be on the floor together defensively.

This offense works with a high/low but not a double down on the blocks. I know it's against low level high school but I think I trust Clingan more at the high post and feeding entry passes to Sanogo in the low post than the other way around.

I also think Clingan can quickly become enough of a threat with foul line and elbow jumpers to make it work. And yes, I realize a 15' jump shot by a 7'2" players is one of the least valuable shots in today's game.

But eventually you need to figure out what works best for your best talent and there will be some games where this can work for 3-5 minutes a half.

Reaction Score
I think we could (and probably should) realistically see this in some of the low major OOC games. Once we get to BE play I would be surprised if it ever sees the light of day. There's only 1 or 2 teams it could even have a small chance of working against (Xavier and maybe Georgetown), and even then I'm not sure what advantage it gives us

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
But eventually you need to figure out what works best for your best talent and there will be some games where this can work for 3-5 minutes a half.
Exactly. This isn’t Hurley saying he’s going to start them both and have our version of the twin towers. It is a way to selectively grab a couple of extra minutes for Donovan without taking them from Sanogo.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Exactly. This isn’t Hurley saying he’s going to start them both and have our version of the twin towers. It is a way to selectively grab a couple of extra minutes for Donovan without taking them from Sanogo.
I'm not sure Donovan is even going to get all the backup 5 minutes. It will be interesting to see, but I'm concerned about the defense.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jamie Taco

Top Bottom